Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here is a thread for mollusks, specifically gastropods, specifically the gastropods who do not seem to be receiving enough love lately. To start off, Mollusca is a phylum (i.e. major category) of animals. The mollusks include octopuses, snails, mussels, chitons, tusk shells, limpets, and conches. It importantly does not include crabs, brine shrimp, or barnacles, all of which are arthropods. Don't think that the sea is all mollusk town! There are terrestrial and marine mollusks, just as there are terrestrial and marine arthropods. Now, among the mollusks, there are further major categories, some of which have exploded in popularity, such as the cephalopods (octopuses, squid, nautiluses, and cuttlefish). I won't say they don't deserve it! And bivalves? Well, they're the cat's meow! There's nothing better than a freeswimming scallop, and that's the God's truth. However, the gastropods really deserve a hat's off. Gastropods include snails, abalone, nudibranchs, sea hares, sea butterflies, and limpets. Let's take a moment to appreciate them. After all, there are over a hundred thousand species of mollusk, and of those, seventy thousand are gastropods!

Gastropods date to the Cambrian, so they've been hanging on a long time, and they'll be around for ages longer. (The oldest non-colonial animal ever discovered, a clam named Ming, was a mollusk but not of course a gastropod, but instead a bivalve. Close!)

This is an abalone:

You have probably more commonly seen their shells as a standalone decorative items, such as this:

This shiny substance, mother-of-pearl, is more properly known as nacre. It is a wonderful git from these marine snails. Yep, that's right! You shouldn't turn up your nose as the French eating snails if you're a fan of abalone. There are approximately 50 species of abalone worldwide.

Here is a diver holding one:

This is a limpet. It's also a marine snail!

There's not much else you can say about "a limpet". Do you know why? Well, "limpets" are polyphyletic. That means that, in essence, it's a bullshit fake classification. It mostly means "marine gastropod with a shell that isn't obviously curly." They are not particularly closely related to one another, as there has been evolutionary pressure on many marine snail species over the course of evolutionary time to reduce curliness of their shells. But we can still admire "limpets". (To be clear, there is one family of "true limpets", Patellidae, but you are probably better off remembering that limpets are tricky animals who seek to manipulate your assessment of their relatedness.)

The real power hour is the sea slugs. They're a real treat! People kind of over-post the colorful ones, so let's give some face time to the Aplysiomorphids, the sea hares.

They do have a shell, but it's internal and proteinaneous.

Oh, you wanted some color to end our post? Fine, fine. Enjoy:

Enjoy this collection of other unpredictably informational Pick threads you may have missed:

Living Things:
Sea Urchins and Echinoderms
Shrimp
Crocodilians: Saltwater Crocodiles, Gharials, Caimans, and More!
Let's Celebrate the Wild World of Frogs!
The begrudging rodent thread
If you love me, flip over an upturned horseshoe crab
World of Bunnies
Elves & Shrimp: Ocean shrimp and the shrimp of the land (elves)
Let's Learn how Baby Animals Become Adults Animals!
It's loving Spiders!
Horses with Beards
Chondrichthyes - cartilaginous fishes of all kinds

Flavors of Death:
Rabies Thread
Animal Skeleton Thread
Photos of Animals Near Trains (Just kidding! These animals are happy and alive.)
Rust & Corrosion (sort of qualifies)

Botany:
Learn Your Flowers!
Species of Fruit
Peanuts: The Plant

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Reserved for other gastropods who have not yet had their time to shine.

I am going to post some Onchidiids, which are marine slugs (for the most part). They are cute as hell.

This is a good world.

It contains many wonderful things.

Never take for granted what you lived to see.

You never had any guarantee that you would exist at the right time.

It's a privilege that the world gave you this day.

And security such that you expect to see tomorrow.

But nothing was ever promised to you.

And someday will be the last day of your life.

Take the time to appreciate it.

There are many wonderful things here.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 18, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Seven years of Pick and I still like her threads.

*Cheers*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They are literally prizewinning threads. I won a tiny lion figurine, for posting, well, on the internet, which I think, proves,

something.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I like clams and mussels

Please post fun facts about clams and mussels

e: also oysters

Stalizard fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 18, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Oysters don't have a central nervous system so I don't feel bad about eating the poo poo out of them.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Pick posted:

Here is a thread for mollusks, specifically gastropods.

Why is there no love for Cone Snails?! One of the most dangerous (yet pretty) Gastropods out there!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Oysters don't have a central nervous system so I don't feel bad about eating the poo poo out of them.

You jerk, making me post about a bivalve here, you tricky person you.

Oysters do have ganglia, which are connected via nerve trunks to the rest of the body.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
came here to post this badass

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Poodge posted:

Why is there no love for Cone Snails?! One of the most dangerous (yet pretty) Gastropods out there!

Thank you for posting cone snails, they are in fact extremely good.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Pick posted:

Thank you for posting cone snails, they are in fact extremely good.

Sea Angels are also really good.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i thought this was posted by someone other than pick and was alarmed.

thank you for the ocean bug thread, i like to look at the colorful pictures.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.
I saved a lot on Christmas decorations by instead of using those little Christmas lights, I replaced them with live sea angels

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDtiHZcazQ8

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

i love this thread, and i love these animals, and i love you.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Dude, NWS a couple of those images of snail sex in the OP! I was reading this thread at work.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I usually like your animal threads but this poo poo is nightmare fuel for me.

Please do non-creepy animals next time, thanks!

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.
Do mollusks have a little butthole sphincter thing through which they produce their shell material, like a little 3D printer? Or is it more like they sweat a goo that sets and hardens around them?

I tried googling, "snail buttholes". It didn't get me an answer.

Edit: oh neat I found a helpful PowerPoint slide. The mantle secretes shell material (sweats it out). There are three layers; the periostracum (outer layer to protect from parasites), the prismatic layer (cool sounding 3d printer-esque "densely packed prisms of calcium carbonate", and the nacreous layer which is pretty and makes pearls.

Thank for inspiring me to learn Pick!

Macrowave Oven fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 18, 2016

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

How could you make a pic heavy mollusk op without including that charmer ol' blue eyes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Was hoping to see some geoducks.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R2zvE615dM

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
hell yeah nature thread!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pick posted:

They do have a shell, but it's internal and proteinaneous.

aka a loving skeleton u idiot bithch. it cant be a shell shells go on the outside. gently caress boi

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
i like it when a girl wipes her goopy clam on me

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Here's the perfect song with video for the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5K_w9Tbhoc

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
:backtowork:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They're delicious

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

gonna eat all of those

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

edit:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 18, 2016

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Sea cucumbers are pretty cool.

But they are not gastropods

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

That stomach is clearly not a foot :colbert:

What's with that name anyway?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I like that Venture Brothers episode where Dr. Venture gets stuck in a giant clam while Brock fights ghost pirates and kills a man with his rear end.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

flakeloaf posted:

What else do you think Napoleon meant when he said that armies march on their stomachs?

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
hi pick i like ur water bugs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Anthrovore posted:

How could you make a pic heavy mollusk op without including that charmer ol' blue eyes

I explicitly stated the rationale for excluding scallops! It's the gastropod thread!

But fine, you can post bivalves, i give up :qq:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Every time I see an invertebrate group name show up in the popular threads field I just loving know it's another Pick thread and that it's gonna own.

Here's a fact about gastropods: Did you know that many snails exhibit what's known as torsion that causes their bodies to twist during development, resulting in their anus being over their heads.

Snails poo poo on their heads!!

But this is for the gastropod underdogs, not the snails everyone know and love. One of my favorites are the chitons, which belong to the mollusc class Polyplacophora ("many plates"), so called because their shells are made of several articulated plates (known as "valves" when referring to mollusc shells) instead of a single unit, which is cool! Check out these motherfuckers!

Because of their many valves they can leave pretty cool "skeletons." A common one we see in zoology teaching labs is one from a large species called Katarina tunicata:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 18, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

What else do you think Napoleon meant when he said that armies march on their stomachs?

nice

Skeleton Ape posted:

I like that Venture Brothers episode where Dr. Venture gets stuck in a giant clam while Brock fights ghost pirates and kills a man with his rear end.

Me too it's a really good introductory episode. Still amazed that Pirate Captain is still around.

flakeloaf posted:

It has to do with the position of the "foot", that being on the ventral side (i.e. the "belly").

Doc Friday posted:

Sea cucumbers are pretty cool.

But they are not gastropods

Correct, but I did have an echinoderm thread which is linked in the OP. They are echinoderms in class Holothuroidea.

vaguely posted:

i love this thread, and i love these animals, and i love you.

ilu2

Thanks for informational posts, Poodge and Macrowave. Special hats off to Macrowave for finding the correct answer and posting it :toot:.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Pick posted:

Here is a diver holding one:

it looks like someone photoshopped mars into that guy's hand

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thank you Mak0rz for posting chitons, I really love chitons. I can find them on the Oregon coast when I'm tidepooling. Maybe I should have made a tidepooling hobby thread.

You have posted pretty chitons, which are great, but I am also a fan of the humble gumboot.

As their plates are covered, they look like a goopy thing. They are soft.

You can also find the very punk "black leather chiton", the aforementioned Katharina tunicata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Im learning a lot.

• Locked thread