Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

corn in the bible posted:

2011 has a scene where they cut out an elk's still-beating heart and eat it raw

While ranting about how the protagonist is too liberal and sissy because he grew up with his vegan, womanly mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
maybe that dad is flint abrahams

it all ties together

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the timeline doesn't match up at all, when would flint abrahams even get the time to legally change his name to samson rainesford and then be an old guy hunting for government super-hyenas over 30 years ago- when does this game take place? are we in space? kill animals

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

alcharagia posted:

the timeline doesn't match up at all, when would flint abrahams even get the time to legally change his name to samson rainesford and then be an old guy hunting for government super-hyenas over 30 years ago- when does this game take place? are we in space? kill animals

considering 2011 has literal magic in it perhaps he simply time-traveled

this is really the deus ex of hunting games

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

While ranting about how the protagonist is too liberal and sissy because he grew up with his vegan, womanly mother.

Eating tofu in those shopping malls of hers.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

considering 2011 has literal magic in it perhaps he simply time-traveled

I'm sorry, but WHAT.

Please elaborate. (I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

AmewTheFox posted:

I'm sorry, but WHAT.

The Cabela games are pretty good.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

AmewTheFox posted:

I'm sorry, but WHAT.

I think that's the one Chip & Ironicus did as an interlude? If so, it's ... something. ( http://www.chipandironicus.com/videos/hunt/ )

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

AmewTheFox posted:

I'm sorry, but WHAT.

Well there's a mysterious spooky whistle noise that causes animals to go berserk and kill Cabela's Man and it is never fully explained whether it comes from the government super-hyenas or is just magic.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

alcharagia posted:

Well there's a mysterious spooky whistle noise that causes animals to go berserk and kill Cabela's Man and it is never fully explained whether it comes from the government super-hyenas or is just magic.

This is dumb and was thought up by a hack but I still prefer it because at least it explains the animals' ultraviolent behavior. Cabela's 2009 seems to think that all animals are just inherently evil, all by themselves, as if they somehow evolved to be thoughtlessly aggressive at all times towards anything that moves.

Cabela's 2009 thinks the Humane Society is a criminal organization. Cabela's 2009 thinks Sea World is too nice to its orcas. Cabela's 2009 thinks that the dentist who shot Cecil the lion should have tortured him first. Cabela's 2009 is hostile to all living things.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 4: INDIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY2KZp-_Qr8

Joining me are Loco, NGDBSS, and a series of terrible audio fuckups. I think they are mostly fixed but maybe not!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Nira: "All four of them? How?"
Abrahams: "Well Mr Nira, I used my eyes and I used my ears."
Nira: "No, I meant how and why did you carry them all back here and leave them in one big pile? It seems both impossible and pointless."

Edit: Also, that log crossing mini game might be the worst mini game of all time.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 2, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cathode Raymond posted:

Nira: "All four of them? How?"
Abrahams: "Well Mr Nira, I used my eyes and I used my ears."
Nira: "No, I meant how and why did you carry them all back here and leave them in one big pile? It seems both impossible and pointless."

Edit: Also, that log crossing mini game might be the worst mini game of all time.

It is pretty drat terrible, yeah. If there's a way to do it without just mashing buttons, I haven't seen it. None of the other advice I could find was at all effective, including the stuff the game tells you.

PaperAmigo
Feb 26, 2016

Very Hard
I'm guessing this level was non-canon to the Cabela's 2009 lore. There's no way Abrahams would leave those tigers alive if he could help it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 5: BRITISH COLUMBIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJH4skYw_6Y

Featuring The Lesbiathan and BEAUTIFUL NEXT-GEN HD

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Wow, that visual difference. Holy crap.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Derek Barona posted:

Wow, that visual difference. Holy crap.

Yep! It just sort of... worked today, and I don't have any idea why. So I can't even promise the rest of the game will be in HD!

e: Before anyone asked, it was loving up the graphics even when just plugged into my tv, so it wasnt an issue with my capture equipment. Today I decided to try recording the messed up graphics as a bonus and the game worked perfectly instead :shrug:

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 6, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Yeah, that actually looks reasonable now, and not just in the "unfucked PS2" graphics way. My guess, given this, is that perhaps the PS3 port was intended to run like this in HD just fine. But when the game shat itself over actually showing that footage and you downsized to SD, their software wasn't downsizing things properly. Or maybe I'm just grasping at straws here?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 6: CONGO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbIKbQ00AyQ

Lesbiathan is here again and so am I and so are some hippos. Enjoy the video

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I thought Henry Tally was murdered by the lions.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Activision has a Steam sale that includes Cabela's stuff. Is African Adventures as amazingly dumb as the negative reviews portray it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Activision has a Steam sale that includes Cabela's stuff. Is African Adventures as amazingly dumb as the negative reviews portray it?

African Adventures has some dull parts, but it also has stealth missions where you must avoid patrolling zebra in order to assassinate the head zebra

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

African Adventures has some dull parts, but it also has stealth missions where you must avoid patrolling zebra in order to assassinate the head zebra

I feel like Cabela's games are an indication that if they had their way, history would be rewritten entirely. Man does not war with man, he wars with the treacherous beasts of the wild who seek to murder and enslave all of humanity under their hooves and paws.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 15, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

here's what it looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qb4BjzyoDM

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The MGS music made it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I got Dangerous Hunts 2013 with card money and its 2.5 hours of story were quite a ride.

My favourite part is that they added a button for turning around and sniping at beasts attacking from behind in bullet time. So, the best way to deal with large packs is to face away from them and wait until they trigger the special shot one by one.

Sold!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I note that several times you shoot a crocodile at point blank range and it says the shot was at like, 60-70 yards.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

I note that several times you shoot a crocodile at point blank range and it says the shot was at like, 60-70 yards.

Clearly the bullet hit a second crocodile after exiting the first.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Yes, they do turn around sometimes and you need to hide.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

SelenicMartian posted:

What happens if they catch you? Does the Gemsbok Ambassador complain about your espionage on the floor of the UN?

I thought that Cabela's just fetishized human-on-nonhuman violence but some of these missions seem to indicate that it's so much weirder and more complex than that.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Is this going to be your next LP? I mean, you already know all about having to fight through hordes of animal warriors....

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 7: THAILAND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3keRiHtfZ_8

Joining me today is Ceciltron and Great Joe. We save some bears, which is very out of character for Flint, but whatever.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Don't worry. Flint just put the radio collars on the bears so he can kill them with guided missiles later on.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Keksen posted:

Don't worry. Flint just put the radio collars on the bears so he can kill them with guided missiles later on.

There are bombs in the collars. He'll hit a button and collect the carcasses later.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Anoia posted:

There are bombs in the collars. He'll hit a button and collect the carcasses later.
Even better: the shaped charges in the collars will make the heads fly off and mount themselves into his trophy wall on another continent.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
And of course, the elephants, one of the most chill animals in all of nature to anyone who doesn't start poo poo with them first and easily the least predatory creatures in this game so far, are depicted in this game as roving death reavers who will hunt you down from across the map if they even think you might be there and chew on your bones. Cabela's!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Derek Barona posted:

And of course, the elephants, one of the most chill animals in all of nature to anyone who doesn't start poo poo with them first and easily the least predatory creatures in this game so far, are depicted in this game as roving death reavers who will hunt you down from across the map if they even think you might be there and chew on your bones. Cabela's!

Well, Elephants are actually really smart. They might just realize who Flint is and what he intends.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 8: NAMIBIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNTa0aZO9I

Mateo joins me for this exciting video in which we save a man from the heart of darkness.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Things like animals being "endangered" is just the kind of poo poo those bleeding-heart liberals like Samson Rainsford's ex-wife come up with the ruin the art of the hunt! They probably come up with these kinds of things while eating tofu in their shopping malls...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I love how Flint says, "stay here, I'll go for help" then immediately proceeds to keep on hunting the leopard he originally came to kill. Classic Flint.

• Locked thread