Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
You may think you're offended by this game's shittiness, but I know Russian history and speak Russian, so I'm offended by this piece of poo poo on at least two more levels

"What a crap" is most likely a garbage attempt at a literal translation of the Russian for "What the gently caress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
By the way, Gleb is an actual name

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of chekism, there's actually another different layer of hilarity to it. Thing is, this would (had this game sold, I never heard of it until this thread so I assume that it didn't sell) have gone completely over everyone's head in Russia, because whatever their target demographic was, it definitely did not include adults who lived a substantial part of their lives in the USSR. Consequently, no one would understand it. When I saw it, my first thought was "Wait, what? ЧК was not a thing in Stalin's time", and no one ever uses it in any other context in the post-Soviet Russia

They can't even get the Russian history references for Russians right

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

Wouldn't Gleb be pronounced more like Hleb the former Arsenal player?

It's either the other way around or a completely different sound, depending on whether you take the Russian or the Belarusian pronunciation. The sound is "g" in Russian and "ɣ" (nothing even remotely comparable to it in English, sorry) in Belarusian

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Rectus posted:

stalins favorite anime would be this scene from girls und panzer on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIY36UbDbQQ

A bad song sung in a bad accent.
This is perfect.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
A general rule of thumb is that if a game is from the former USSR and is playable, the developer is almost always Ukrainian. If it's unplayable, it can be from anywhere, but will more often than not be from Russia.

Then there's also an outlier in Pathologic, which screws with these rules by managing to not be a bad game and be unplayable.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

And none of them quite the caliber of Metro and STALKER. I'll tell you more, some of the games on the list are decent while being virtually unknown outside of Russia, but my point stands nonetheless.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

The company that made this is functional, in a way. A year ago one of their guys uploaded a patch for the RPG they had made on this very engine in 2005.

Apparently I have an English copy of it. One of the first lines your character gets as a dialogue option is "Blimey, am I bored!"

What's its Russian name? I need to know!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

http://www.ag.ru/games/borderzone/review

Borderzone is on Steam and was patched at least in 2014, but just in case there's a 2015 HD textures/compatibility patch on the Russian version of Orion's website.

I have a copy on Gamersgate. It's in English but comes with a Hungarian manual.

It's gotta be an absolutely beauriful trainwreck. FPS is a simple genre at its core, so I want to see how Orion can gently caress up an RPG.
As long as I'm not the one playing, of course.

--
Also, and this is for everyone else: the link is to a review and its last sentence says "I'll gladly give my copy of the game away to any reader".

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Also, have you people seen Orion's website?
Its design is, uh, nostalgic.

Also, they write with errors. It's like they're not just poo poo at translating their games into English, but also at writing in Russian... who would've thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Actually, people did get prizes in the Soviet Union.

• Locked thread