Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
loving finally, I was worried when this thread made it six pages without a good old fashioned BSS pissing match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Let's be real that didn't even register because it was two posts and a mod sensibly stepping in. I'm not going to be the one to devalue the BSS piss brand.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dr Strange was never better than in Gerber's Defenders but that's true for everyone in that book save maybe The Hulk.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't know if it's at, say, Daredevil level yet but that's not a slight against ANAD.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Wheat Loaf posted:

Solo lives.

And we all know what that means!

One day the Solo and Terror Inc. mini of my dreams will be reality

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is the best character sheet I've ever seen.

That is a lollipop away from being Joey Ryan, which I approve of heartily.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SirDan3k posted:

Bendis is just trying to get Carol out of the way so Kitty Pryde his one true love the best character for the job can be the female face of the company.

Is Bendis finally going to pull the trigger and Have Squirrel Girl ruin all good progressive comics?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

twistedmentat posted:

What the hell crap is this?

I will never not joke about the time Dan insisted that Squirrel Girl was bad as a calculated move by marvel to ruin the trend of books being more than white dudes punching white dudes. Repeatedly. Over several days.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SirDan3k posted:

Just because they created the Springtime for Hitler of comicbooks doesn't mean I wasn't right.

See, when we post about Superman crying while beating Bizarro to death everyone agrees it was a dumb idea. But this is a position with backbone!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm sorry for shortening the name of SirDan3K and causing this confusion. It shall not happen again and apologies for Dan Slott blocking us all on twitter after his 10th vanity search of his own name today.

Assuming anyone here isn't blocked already for having opinions of Spiderman on Twitter.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
One day Lurdiak will be driven to complain about ingroups and cliques in the CineD chat thread. Thus the cycle will complete.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

BrianWilly posted:

I actually can sort of see the humor of that "trigger warning" panel as well, just 'cuz of how wacky and arbitrary it was. But then the "gag" just keeps going and digging in its heels and it's like...are we really doing this? Really?

It's kinda hard to express just what it is about the scene -- which is just kinda whimsical and droll at the end of the day -- that sets off all my ":what:" reflexes, but I think it just ultimately comes down to the golden comedy rule: punch up, not down. Making fun of people with more power than you is funny. Making fun of people with less power than you, even with the most innocuous of intentions, is not.

And then it all just comes dangerously close to the "both sides of social issues are just as bad!" middle-ground mindset that's just really obnoxious even at the best of the times, and particularly tone-deaf after the last couple months we've had out here in the real world.

It's the part later where Sam apologizes if he was 'ever like that' which put it firmly in the absolute shitpile for me, like thank god the good ones are there apologizing for the bad ones am I right? You not only get to be the South Park of comics but also say gently caress you to previous character work in one fell swoop.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah it happened in the good Thunderbolts run that no one read because it was following the Only Bad Thunderbolts Run. I can't blame anyone for that either because drat was that a bad run.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Basically everything Thunderbolts not written by Daniel Way or the current run( which I haven't been able to actually read yet) are at minimum solid cape comics and a good read. Even the weird tangent underground fighting arc is worth people's time in my opinion.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TwoPair posted:

I didn't even know this was happening but it sounds super cute.

It'll probably be a lot better for kids to read and enjoy than my first superhero-book-that's-not-a-comic, the novelization of the Death of Superman.

To be fair that novelization is surprisingly solid for "We made an event comic into a book."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh so one of the best parts of Astro City but grim and dark instead. Coolio.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TwoPair posted:

Because nerds can't have nice things, they have to ruin them. You've been on the internet long enough to know that.

I mean let's not be too hasty calling a cruise a nice thing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Xenmu as evil Barney is still one of my favorite Marvel storylines.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mr President posted:

I told him Mark Millar was a better writer

I get mad when people lie to me lazily, so that checks out.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Twelve was just generally awful so at least it's in line with the narrative whole.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Open Marriage Night posted:

Secret Empire #0 was surprisingly good, and seeing people act offended by it is hilarious.

My shop has a patriotic name, so I hope they can opt in to get Hydrafied.

Have you considered people aren't actually acting?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't know what missing the point position is more adorable, "they're going to change it back anyway" or "these people don't even read comics."

Like, it's not the opposite of being mad that Captain America is black mother of christ.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
People shouldn't have to spend x dollars to have a right to call out bullshit and the fact that it's not going to be forever doesn't make it less of a lovely thing?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Clawtopsy posted:

More that some folks being emotionally threatened by this event are similar to the alt-righters who feel threatened by diversity changes. The changes themselves aren't comparable, no, but I find that the hysteria is similar.

Those people are actually being threatened by the alt-right so comparing them is pretty garbage.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

X-O posted:

It's not for you or I to tell any creator what to write and how to write it. Just because you don't like a story or I don't like a story doesn't mean the creator shouldn't be able to tell it. That's up to that writer and their editors and the company they work for. Whether we like it or not should never enter the equation until it comes time to hand over the money or not.

Actually you should probably be allowed to say that people shouldn't make stories where Nazis are cool and good.

'Just don't buy it' never works in a vacuum.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

pubic works project posted:

Thank you!!! I wish everyone here that was against the book would just shut the gently caress up already. This argument is so played out. It's done and over. The book is going to be released. All 9 issues of it and its tie-ins. Captain America is HYDRA and at the end of the event will go back to being normal Cap. At the end of the day the author and Marvel don't give a poo poo what you think because people are buying this book. Arguing about it like a bunch of loving goons doesn't solve a drat thing.

It's true, change comes mostly by sitting silently and making sure nobody kicks up a fuss.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

pubic works project posted:

Yes because comic books are exactly like politics and social change.

Art is both inherently social and political, this is some sub-101 level poo poo.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No because telling the US to gently caress off is pretty good a lot of the time actually.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hi there. I quit subscribing to monthly superhero comics a few years back because I got tired of endless HUGE gimmicks CROSSOVER EVENTS THAT WILL SHAKE THE UNIVERSE TO ITS CORE and need you to spend a ton of time and money on comics to follow them. It's also hard for me to care about anything that happens in them because they will always hit the reset button and the dead will always rise from the grave and any new interesting ideas will get reset to the status quo. And I'm still salty about One More Day, Doc Ock Spidey, Gwen and Norman Osborn's affair, Marvel getting rid of the X-Men \ Fantastic Four, and the horror that was Jeph Loeb's Ultimatum.

Spider-Man is probably my favorite superhero, and boy howdy has Marvel poo poo on that character over the years. I thought our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man might have been one of, if not the, most poorly handled superheroes. My other favorites are the X-Men and Captain America. Now Cap's a Nazi. Marvel has officially topped all the terrible poo poo they did to Spidey.

In the time since I've been gone, Steve Rodgers is now a Nazi and Marvel's books are loaded with extremely divisive and adversarial political poo poo like the infamous [UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ON ISRAEL] in Angela Queen of Hel. Since the invention of twitter, comic book discussions typically decend into really bitter, petty, personal flamewars. That's not fun. And I thought video games talk got nasty.

Yeaaah... that doesn't exactly make me want to come back. Aaaaand I'm not alone, judging from the sales figures.

I thought I'd just poke my head in the door, peek around, say "AW HELL NO" then go away again. See ya, have fun!

Thanks for literally labeling your post as white noise I guess?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

What, you don't like Spider-man and the X-men in ARCADE'S REVENGE?

I mean, pretty bitching Follin soundtrack.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And furthermore, should we condemn the apple for the sins of an orange?!?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

twistedmentat posted:

Nazi's should be punched and I cannot wait for someone to punch Steve so hard he goes back to normal.

You are in direct opposition with the writer of this event my condolences.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The irrational position of not liking nazis. Yeah, sure.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's true, nothing actually matters because eventually a wizard will undo it because there's no actual impact to anything also it's cool for Italians to pretend to be Native Americans because I mean films aren't real either.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also I love that comparison to Final Crisis because when I think about it the jackass who hucked a brickbat at my fiancées back windshield probably was worshipping the Bible of Crime from a scary rock man from space and didn't do it because of the Star of David sticker.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, that's a laugh I needed right about now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Cultural objects having context in wider events is for both nerds and fuckass losers, unlike me the cool dude who doesn't care about anything like it's the loving internet in 2008.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
"I just don't get how Captain America being cool with being a Nazi and real actual people being cool with being Nazis could have any connection or that people would care at all about the former in context of the later."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A wizard made Captain America a Nazi with a wizard cube. But he's a good nazi, see, and doesn't like all these nazi things that his nazi underlings keep doing? Except they're not actually nazis, they just hung out with nazis but totally weren't down with the actual bad nazi poo poo which is why they stuck with the axis powers the entirety of the second world war and are putting minorities in camps and executing prisoners (But not cap! He has real bad feelings about that) and the same wizard cube is going to eventually fix everything and thus because nothing is permanent nothing actually matters.

I totally have not read the newest issue of We're Not Nazis We're Just Facists Enforcing An Ethnic State but apparently Good Steve is hanging out with a shirtless red skull now to make sure both sides have the requisite will to power I guess?

EDIT: Man, in the hands of a far better writer the rebranding of a facist movement by the excision of the "undesirable" elements to bring out a supposedly always extant better, purer core could be worth examining in a sort of reflection on how that has historically happened but considering the craft this poo poo's exhibiting that's a good miss.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, that was basically his platform running for political office.

Not being an actual nazi, I guess I have to specifically point out now, just the petit fascism mixed with dog whistling racism.

• Locked thread