Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Archyduke posted:

No, I mean, you have every right to feel viscerally turned-off by all of this. In the same way that the homophobic or transphobic jibes in some Ennis comics have often tainted the well for me. I know he writes good stuff and I even read some of it but there's a part of me that's always like "gently caress this, gently caress him."

Of course every reader has the absolute right to draw a line somewhere and say "over this line any enjoyment I might get out of this is compromised by moral revulsion" and again, I get what it's like to have that line be drawn in such a way that online discourse gets sort of hairy. And while for whatever reason I can acclimate myself to the premise of the Secret Empire story, as a queer Jew I do find the comic-shop uniforms and rebranding hopelessly tacky at the very least. hope I didn't come off as implying that people who aren't at all into this event are idiots or over-sensitive.

It was mainly this post that irritated me, yours was fine.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Secret Empire #0 was surprisingly good, and seeing people act offended by it is hilarious.

My shop has a patriotic name, so I hope they can opt in to get Hydrafied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eh, Captain America is not nearly the character created in the 40s anymore anyway.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hydra are cool and not Nazis.
They are an ancient organization which manipulated them to leech off exorbitant funds for personal projects. When Rodgers defeated Hydra during the war, he only made the Nazis more efficient.
So in some sense, he was aiding Hitler all along. Good thing that's changed now.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 21, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
get off the internet Nick Spencer

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hydra are cool and not Nazis.
They are an ancient organization which manipulated them to leech of exorbitant funds for personal projects. When Rodgers defeated Hydra during the war, he only made the Nazis more efficient.
So in some sense, he was aiding Hitler all along. Good thing that's changed now.

I know what all these words mean and yet in this order they are meaningless.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, the dumbest thing I've seen about Secret Empire is people are calling for G WIllow Wilson, Ryan North and others to leave Marvel because they shouldn't be working for a Pro-Nazi company.

People Know that Hydra Branded merch was available before Secret Empire right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, the dumbest thing I've seen about Secret Empire is people are calling for G WIllow Wilson, Ryan North and others to leave Marvel because they shouldn't be working for a Pro-Nazi company.

People Know that Hydra Branded merch was available before Secret Empire right?

There is a difference between selling Merch and encouraging people to rebrand themselves as Nazis. (I don't think anyone should leave the company over it, mind.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

There is a difference between selling Merch and encouraging people to rebrand themselves as Nazis. (I don't think anyone should leave the company over it, mind.)

Yea, I agree with that, but I've seen a fair amount of people going "I cannot believe they made Nazi Tshirts!".

Not to mention basically every post and tweet I've seen about this completely glosses over the actual story. Acting like Marvel has put out a book that says "Hey, take it from me, Captain America, Nazi's are awesome!".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
To me the premise is fine. Captain America, the model superhero, is now a villain. Using his spotless reputation to advance his plot underhandedly in a campaign of deception and betrayal. Undermining everything he's suppose to stand and fight for.

I haven't read Captain America, but the biggest problem I've observed people have is the total rewriting of Steve Rogers' past into always being loyal and willing Hyrda agent and the story problems that introduces. Along with the disgust of subverting a symbol of freedom and liberty into one of Nazism.

I think simple mind control would have gone better than this convoluted time travel rewriting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

to me the premise feels like they took a what if and blew it up into the focal point of a massive event. this is like if dc suddenly made red son superman retroactively the main superman from the beginning. I'm not angry about it and I think some people are maybe acting under a faulty assumption (ie, marvel thinks hydra or nazi's are cool), but I don't think it's a good idea and I'm not particularly interested in reading it. but then, I don't follow any captain america books and I've taken a wait and see policy on events after civil war 2 and monsters unleashed, so obviously I'm not the target audience for this one

it actually kinda reminds me of when ea announced battlefield hardline in the middle of a bunch of police scandals and everyone decided it sucked before it ever came out. and, much like hardline, I expect the actual product to be pretty underwhelming but not actually satan incarnated as a form of media

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
So, um.... when are Sue, Reed, Franklin and Val coming back? I miss them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On the one hand, they're doing some F4 toys.

On the other they're still aggressively removing them from things. The Marvel Heroes Diablo-like game just launched on PS4. They were required to remove not just the F4 NPCs but every reference to them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

OhFunny posted:

To me the premise is fine. Captain America, the model superhero, is now a villain. Using his spotless reputation to advance his plot underhandedly in a campaign of deception and betrayal. Undermining everything he's suppose to stand and fight for.

I haven't read Captain America, but the biggest problem I've observed people have is the total rewriting of Steve Rogers' past into always being loyal and willing Hyrda agent and the story problems that introduces. Along with the disgust of subverting a symbol of freedom and liberty into one of Nazism.

I think simple mind control would have gone better than this convoluted time travel rewriting.

I think picking the Secret Empire instead of Hydra would have been perfect, honestly. Hell, the Secret Empire even has its roots in pro-America jingoistic facism, for gently caress's sake.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I think picking the Secret Empire instead of Hydra would have been perfect, honestly. Hell, the Secret Empire even has its roots in pro-America jingoistic facism, for gently caress's sake.

Aren't they a Hydra splinter-group anyway?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think if you're seriously upset about this event to the point you're calling for boycotts and that writers quit the company because you think it makes them nazis, you probably need to take a step back

It's the other side of the "They made Captain America BLACK!!!!!!" coin

e: like... lol if you dont think this event wont end in a return to the status quo and lots of hydra-totally-not-nazis getting their asses beat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't think anyone doesn't think this is going to get reverted, that's really not what the conversation is about.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I actually liked Secret War #0, it probably helped that it started off with some references to Hickman's Shield which I also really enjoy.

Let's see if they stick the landing on the end, because this has to result in Cap going back to being a good guy, I can't see them running with evil Steve Rogers for years and years.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

With this Legacy initiative thing, there's no question that Steve is being put back in his default state.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

I think if you're seriously upset about this event to the point you're calling for boycotts and that writers quit the company because you think it makes them nazis, you probably need to take a step back

e: like... lol if you dont think this event wont end in a return to the status quo and lots of hydra-totally-not-nazis getting their asses beat

Nobody thinks the event isn't going to be reverted. The people complaining think it is in poor taste especially the current climate and the secondary twist which (if they stick to it) says some pretty gross things that are probably entirely unintentional.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Clawtopsy posted:

You just said being black is the same thing as being a Nazi.

You might want to walk back on that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't know what missing the point position is more adorable, "they're going to change it back anyway" or "these people don't even read comics."

Like, it's not the opposite of being mad that Captain America is black mother of christ.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If it is the answer is so?

Like explain how that is a problem.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
People shouldn't have to spend x dollars to have a right to call out bullshit and the fact that it's not going to be forever doesn't make it less of a lovely thing?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am curious what the lead time on this was. There is no way Spenser started this knowing Trump was going to be President, and he probably wrote this sometime last year, probably even before the Primaries were completed.

Not only that, if Marvel said "no, I don't think we should run this now that Literal Nazi's are running the country", how much of their plans would be completely hosed?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Sorry, it wasn't my intent to say that

CharlestheHammer posted:

You just said being black is the same thing as being a Nazi.

You might want to walk back on that.

And I apologize wholeheartedly if that was the perception. More that some folks being emotionally threatened by this event are similar to the alt-righters who feel threatened by diversity changes. The changes themselves aren't comparable, no, but I find that the hysteria is similar. I think an event set in a fictional universe where a genetically modified raccoon with his living tree buddy firing big guns is meant to be nothing more than a big dumb event? Maybe it's because I don't live in America and am not really exposed to your whole thing that's going on right now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I don't hate this because it's horrific to make a creation of two Jewish men into a Nazi.

I hate this cause it's dumb as gently caress with a billion plot holes and it's written by Nick Spencer who is poo poo. It's not a particularly interesting concept that Marvel is trying too loving hard to push.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

I don't hate this because it's horrific to make a creation of two Jewish men into a Nazi.

I hate this cause it's dumb as gently caress with a billion plot holes and it's written by Nick Spencer who is poo poo. It's not a particularly interesting concept that Marvel is trying too loving hard to push.

I hate it for both reasons!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Clawtopsy posted:

More that some folks being emotionally threatened by this event are similar to the alt-righters who feel threatened by diversity changes. The changes themselves aren't comparable, no, but I find that the hysteria is similar.

Those people are actually being threatened by the alt-right so comparing them is pretty garbage.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I think the premise is kinda dumb, but I'm interested in seeing how it all falls apart. I like stories where the good guys are clearly-cut, and the underdogs, which this seems to be setting up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I am curious what the lead time on this was. There is no way Spenser started this knowing Trump was going to be President, and he probably wrote this sometime last year, probably even before the Primaries were completed.

Not only that, if Marvel said "no, I don't think we should run this now that Literal Nazi's are running the country", how much of their plans would be completely hosed?

Considering one of Marvel's higher ups is a massive Trump supporter and ally he probably thinks that this represents a better present than the actual one.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

I think the premise is kinda dumb, but I'm interested in seeing how it all falls apart. I like stories where the good guys are clearly-cut, and the underdogs, which this seems to be setting up.

I don't really like the endgame for cap

yea obviously he's gonna go back to normal, but the fallout for this event is gonna hang over his head for a long time I think

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm getting really tired of this attitude that if one group of people finds something dumb, and another finds another thing dumb then they're being just as bad.

One is mad that a character they like is now black. The other is mad that the character they like is now a Nazi. I'm sorry, but in my mind, that first group of people will always be way worse than the other in a way that comparing them at all just looks ridiculous.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

https://twitter.com/nickspencer/status/855563192398991364
https://twitter.com/nickspencer/status/855564596056387584

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 22, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roth posted:

I'm getting really tired of this attitude that if one group of people finds something dumb, and another finds another thing dumb then they're being just as bad.

One is mad that a character they like is now black. The other is mad that the character they like is now a Nazi. I'm sorry, but in my mind, that first group of people will always be way worse than the other in a way that comparing them at all just looks ridiculous.

More accurately, the first group is mad a black guy got a new name while the guy they like is still there, doing his thing.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Eh, I'm just going to read it because I like HYDRA.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think I'd have a much harder time with the story if not for the fact that this was something that was explicitly done to Steve. If it was some kind of long game where we still didn't know why Steve was suddenly a Supreme HYDRA (i.e. Jessica's motivations in the first arc of Jessica Jones), or it was an out-and-out "everything you know is wrong" retcon like something John Byrne would've done, I'd be a lot more annoyed than I am.

Then again, I've been reading these silly things for just about my entire life, so I've seen a lot of goofy poo poo come out and get hastily swept under the rug, and I don't have any particular ideological attachment to Steve. Marvel somehow didn't really appreciate just how much a lot of fans, particularly their newer fans who've come in via the MCU, empathize with and idolize Steve, especially right now.

I have to admit, I appreciate the dramatic irony that the last thing Steve did before this all came to fruition was to pitch the Red Skull out a window.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wanderer posted:

I think I'd have a much harder time with the story if not for the fact that this was something that was explicitly done to Steve. If it was some kind of long game where we still didn't know why Steve was suddenly a Supreme HYDRA (i.e. Jessica's motivations in the first arc of Jessica Jones), or it was an out-and-out "everything you know is wrong" retcon like something John Byrne would've done, I'd be a lot more annoyed than I am.

Then again, I've been reading these silly things for just about my entire life, so I've seen a lot of goofy poo poo come out and get hastily swept under the rug, and I don't have any particular ideological attachment to Steve. Marvel somehow didn't really appreciate just how much a lot of fans, particularly their newer fans who've come in via the MCU, empathize with and idolize Steve, especially right now.

I have to admit, I appreciate the dramatic irony that the last thing Steve did before this all came to fruition was to pitch the Red Skull out a window.
It seems like a lot of the irritation is the double-down, "and also, the universe you've known all along was AAAAAAACTUALLY retconned into existence by the Allies because they were losing the war to Hydra!" While obviously there has been stupid-rear end bullshit in many a funny book, it does kind of come off as pointless edgelordery.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That part's just in his head, isn't it?
I only read the first collection of CapSteve, but Kobik did it first on a doctor and it only changed his memory of history.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nessus posted:

It seems like a lot of the irritation is the double-down, "and also, the universe you've known all along was AAAAAAACTUALLY retconned into existence by the Allies because they were losing the war to Hydra!" While obviously there has been stupid-rear end bullshit in many a funny book, it does kind of come off as pointless edgelordery.

I've been writing that off as what Kobik did to justify the scenario. In a World War II where HYDRA is inexplicably powerful enough to have that much influence and that many double agents (and where Steve is still the shining example of American patriotism despite his bromance with the Zemos), it would take something like a Cosmic Cube for the Allies to win the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The "Retcon" of the allies losing the war isn't necessarily retcon, in universe. If a few things hadn't worked out the way they did the Germans could have won the war in theory, so with the allies using a cube to win it's really just like saying they used a super weapon, not that they actually rewrote time.

• Locked thread