Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
At what age did you give up on your dreams?
I have not given up on my dreams.
My dreams came true!
View Results

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Life is nasty, brutish and short. Some people even call it a bitch. We all have dreams and aspirations when we are young and naive, however as time marches on and we get older we realize that those dreams probably aren't going to come true.

Did you think you could become a rock star, an acclaimed film director, a hilarious stand up comedian or a hot shot lawyer?

When did you realize that you won't become what you wanted to be and made peace with the fact you're just going to continue on as an average person, if even that? Where you depressed when it happened or did you find peace in complacency? Or perhaps you are still latching onto those dreams, hoping for a long shot while you play your guitar in the garage...please tell.

Also, if you are one of the lucky few who did have their dreams come true, pleas share your story and help make the rest of us feel worse :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
a year ago. now i am just passing time.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I've never had dreams. I only exist in the moment.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
asap

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

My dream is to french kiss with your avatar.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I was a kid I wanted to have a dog and watch cartoons whenever I wanted

The dog is sleeping next to me while I watched "Batman: The Animated Series" right now! :)

Sure wish I had more money, though

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i can still turn my life around!!

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm in my thirties now and my dreams were always set so low that realizing them is very easy and possible. I give this advice to anyone:
"Don't aim high. It's more work and pretty difficult." ~ Haier

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Aim for the moon- if you miss, at least you'll hit the stars

into the endless void, random and without meaning

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Poll doesn't go low enough

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
When I was 15 messing around with my trusty old Commodore 64 I had a dream that I would work in IT, live in a nice place, and drive a nice car. It all came true.

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
i didn't really have fancy dreams, just a happy life with the person i loved

...so, about a year ago

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Same.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I wanted a middle management do nothing office job someday and the dream has since been realized. It'd be nice to make more than I do but then I'd probably have to do something so it's a fair trade off IMO

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think I've been giving up on my dreams since childhood when I was like "I wanna be an astronaut and even though that would be years away, I'm kinda chubby, wear glasses, and can't even ride Adventure Express at Kings Island with my eyes open so gently caress it, I'll just keep watching Nickelodeon, reading Calvin & Hobbes, and spilling orange juice on the living room sofa and not tell anyone."

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I just occasionally reset them. Now I dream I get a lower mortgage payment, or when my mind runs wild completely paid off.
I never give up.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
25 seems like a good age to let dreams die.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Well, I finally moved to a big city like I always wanted to, but I am basically doing the same job I did in the small town, except making 1.5x the money. Still, I feel like if I don't get the gently caress out of this job within the next half year or so, I will end up stuck doing something I hate for the rest of my life.

I feel I could maybe still end up doing what I've always wanted to, but am probably running out of time very fast.

Feel good thread.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Feel free to post what you dreams were and why you weren't able to achieve them!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I find that new ones die and become impossible all the time, so I guess I haven't given up on them yet

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
goin w/ 26 here. it was a banner year of shittiness for this dude.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
First time I smoked weed all the motivation to follow my dreams left me

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I had two big dreams as a kid. One was to be an astronaut. Since I found out I'm colorblind, I figured that wasn't really gonna work, so I went for "Professor".

I'm working at one of the national labs at the moment, so hopefully I can publish a lot of papers and transition to a tenure track professorship in the next few years.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Feel free to post what you dreams were and why you weren't able to achieve them!

I've always wanted to work in a history museum, like a curator or some poo poo. I graduated college right when the financial crisis hit and all the state museums started laying people off, not hiring anyone new. I even had a nice internship at a history museum my senior year and would have been hired there after graduation if not for the financial thing. Very sad!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Writer and creative producer, because I'm a lazy depressed and anxious rear end in a top hat who couldn't be bothered to move out of Ohio for college. :smith:

Never stay in Ohio!!

Oh yeah, and having an anxiety meltdown while working overseas and moving back to the States does a lot to help with erasing hopes and dreams.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 21, 2016

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
Anyone wanna buy some dreams?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Age 5

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I am the music maker, and I am the dreamer of dreams.

Just kidding I dream of a glorious death.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Hit my head real hard at 23 and at 25 i realised its going to limit me for life so at 25 OP :)

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I wanted to be an animator, or at least be involved in the animation field somehow. I moved from Florida to LA to follow that dream and thought I was well on my way to achieving it. I got hired by one of my heroes to work for him at his animation studio in Glendale, I was meeting other cartoonists and networking. But I soon found myself face to face with the ugly realities of the animation business. I discovered that the man I had admired so much was an insane paranoid bully, a racist, and probable pedophile. This experience ruined my desire to be involved in the animation business.

And I never really had any backup dream, so now I am stuck in a cubicle doing what amounts to data entry just so I can have health benefits and a steady paycheck.

at least i am working though...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im not givin up OP

eat my rear end, with all due respeckt

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I make six figures doing my dream job.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

bossy lady posted:

I make six figures doing my dream job.

Nice try, but no one who is happy with their life is browsing SA.

naem
May 29, 2011

I didn't give up, I went for it 100% and just failed although I've failed into gainful employment and it's all worked out great so far

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Still workin on my very earliest aspirations:

1) Get out this fuckin crib and never stare at that stupid mobile again.
2) Be able to do that thing where the grownups get around on two legs and make sounds from their mouths at eachother.
3) Would be nice to keep that lady around who cleans my rear end whenever I poo poo. Haven't seen her in a decade or so.

Masturbasturd fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 21, 2016

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i'll get back to you.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my dream is to live in a van down by the river

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
my life became a lot better when i organized it to fulfill my dreams, but in reasonable increments. i call it soviet style life management. your ultimate goal is being president or winning a Nobel prize or whatever, but you can't make an entire plan to do that from start to finish (there are too many unknowns and circumstantial factors). but what you can to is plan 5 years ahead of time.

5 years is a good amount of time to reasonably break up you goals. so, if you want to be president you figure out how much progress you could make towards that goal in 5 years (a person could go from nothing to a city counselor or a member of state legislature, for example). once you have reached your 5 year goal you reassess your situation and make another 5 year plan. if you were successful you should be in a much better position to make an even more educated plan toward your ultimate life goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

My dreams aren't dead and are completely within reason (to be a sysadmin), I just need to pay for my certifications and get all that poo poo sorted.

Part of me would rather waste money and drink and have fun instead, however.

• Locked thread