Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

gently caress it, I am in for the moon rune version. Just did the account and point card stuff, and am preloading now. I have all of next week off, which makes this terrible idea easier to justify. I downloaded the google translate phone app, though it doesn't seem to be perfect. I suppose the language barrier will make the strange world all the stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just got home to play. Is there any way to switch the x and circle buttons back around to filthy gaijin mode?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Well, I had my first death. I was on some rooftops, and a normal undead zombie guy got all black, tentically, and killy. I suppose it is better than fall damage being my first death, which is what I expected.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

How do I use an estus flask shard? At least, that is what it looks like. I found it in the area with a bunch of axe zombies and a couple dogs.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The dark axe you get by killing the first mimic in the locked tower with the dragon on it seems like a pretty good starter weapon. Granted, the mimic hits like a truck, but if you can whittle him down you get a weapon with 206 total damage and reasonable speed. It allowed me to kill the second boss pretty quickly, even without upgrading it.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 24, 2016

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Found a black knight, and my first kill of him resulting in dropping his shield. Requires 18 str, but it is a huge upgrade over the stock knight shield, which I've been using up to this point. 60 stability, and better block percentages across the board. Might try and farm him for his greatsword too.

I just bought the 20k souls key people were talking about. Where can I find what it unlocks, exactly? I thought it was the door behind crazy naked katana dude, but it doesn't work.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

How can I engage in jolly cooperation? I have a white sign soapstone, but it won't let me put it down anywhere outside the door of the second boss.

Edit: Turns out DS3 wasn't logged in. I was pressing the wrong button after the EULA thing. There are wayyy more people putting down signs than there are summoning though. I went to the tree boss, and there were like 20 signs all smashed together right outside his gate. Summoned two sunbros and murderfucked him.

Edit2: How is the hp on subsequent attacks ring you can make with a boss soul? I am trying to decide between that and the giant hammer. On the one hand that ring sounds like it turns things bloodborn style. On the other hand, I love giant hammers.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 25, 2016

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Thus far, mostly using random axes and the occasional sword, I've had zero issues with durability.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Does anybody know exactly where the large club is picked up? I started a second character and want to grab it, but I don't remember where my first guy got it.

Will also happily take locations of any other great hammer class weapons, if you know them.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Orv posted:

It's off to the side where you fight the first fire demon.
Appreciate it. That is, in fact, exactly where it was. Just trying to collect some of the high str stuff. Also just found the 'greatsword' ultra greatsword on top of a ruined bridge in the poison swamp. Good classic weapon. Also, the enemies in the swamp are ripping me up. I really need to upgrade a weapon some more.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I just figured out how to upgrade my estus flask and took it from 0 to +7, nice. Does anyone know what giving the firekeeper soul to the level up lady does? I had thought that was how they were upgraded.
Thats not how it is upgraded? poo poo. That is what I did with the firekeeper soul I had.

How are estus upgraded?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I want to connect to the servers again!

Also, how do I get leeches off? I would like to stop bleeding.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Hey, a bunch of japan-o-jibberish just scrolled by on the top of my screen. It looked like a network message or something. Anybody know what it is about?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Where should I be going right now? I just killed the uber-congregation in the church. I have unlocked the poison swamp area, but the snake-headed things there were messing me up. I am using a 'greatsword' ultra-greatsword, which I have up to raw and +3. Been using the fire buff items on it for added punch. I feel like large titanite shards would be a big help, but I haven't seen any.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

drat, those sword silver knights will pirouette on a loving dime to hit you with their lightning slash. Rough on my ultra-greatsword guy, since hitting them doesn't interrupt that attack either.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 26, 2016

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Mr E posted:

Where's the (early covenant) sunbro covenant at? I see people with the sign down already
Zone after the second boss. The one with the fat mace priests. In one of the houses there you'll find a door you can't open. You have to drop through a hole in the floor above, and then take the sunbro item off the little torture device in there.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

The gently caress, man?
My bad, I took it out. Didn't think the existence of a zone was such a big deal. Didn't see any sort of spoiler policy in the OP either.

Any place I can get an equip load boosting ring? Haven't found one yet.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 27, 2016

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is there any place to buy gold coins? There is a particular black knight I would like farm for his weapon, but he isn't being cooperative.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

1v1 is definitely possible. I've been invaded several times while alone. Always happened after defeating a boss and moving on to the next zone. Each time I have fought valiantly. Sometimes I won, and sometimes I lost.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Just killed my second lord of cinder and I have absolutely no clue where I'm supposed to go next.
More information is required. Going to take a stab and guess though. Remember before you hit anor londo proper, you got in via a sewer area? You got chased in by giant rat-dog thing in the lake. Instead of going in the sewer, hang right. There is a bonfire there, and a way down.

If that isn't right, it would be helpful to know where you've been. I don't think you have to kill all the bosses in the same order.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 27, 2016

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Eh, no shield isn't that bad. I've been running shieldless with the 'greatsword' ultra greatsword for most of the game. Reach helps. I just switched over to FUGS though, which is all around better. Hitting like a truck now. Plus, that thing is almost a shield anyway.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Once you turn in enough ash to the lady chick, she will start selling chunks, twinkling, and demon titanite. Chunks are 13000 each, twinkling is 15000, and demon is 20000. May seem like a lot, but once you get to the final areas you'll be swimming in souls.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Gologle posted:

You're not wrong with any of this information, but in this game, Demon Titanite is called Titanite Scales. They are the same thing though. The final upgrade (+9 to +10, or +4 to +5) of anything seems to always require a Titanite Slab, and as far as I know only three Titanite Slabs can be naturally acquired in a New Game (the last technically post game).
Yeah, still looking around for a slab. My big sword needs its S strength scaling.

Didn't know about the name change. I haven't really looked at the wikis much. Just going by what I know from previous games. Playing a really simple build too, since things like spells and NPC interactions seem like they would be better with english and more complete information. "Hit things with hulking slab of metal" is about my speed right now.

I have been impressed with some friendly summon pyromancers though. Had one that basically single handedly wrecked the (mid-game boss) dancer by himself. Makes me want to try it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Has anyone tried a Faith build in earnest yet? I'm curious how Faith casting holds up this go round, after Dark Souls 2 nerfed it pretty heavily shortly after launch.
Initial impression from people are ... not good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prRT3r9HOcY

The animation is pretty good looking though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

I should be the right level for the fight (I'm around 55), but maybe 16 vitality (or vigor, the HP stat) isn't enough?
You've been neglecting hp for sure. Makes a huge difference. Most people should probably have around 25 in the hp stat by then.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Winged fat knight angel death squad just dropped out of nowhere and murderfucked me. It feels good. Feels like dark souls. Somebody said they can drop slabs?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Well, first playthrough done. Finished at SL80, though I had the souls to push myself higher if I wanted. I thought that 80 would keep me in line for a lot of endgame co-op though. I picked the warrior class, and put all my points in vit, vig, end, and str. Did the entire playthrough without a shield, and it worked fine. Had an ultra greatsword in my hands 95% of the time. The last boss was very Gwyn like. Good music too. Was hoping for a little more challenge from him, but I suppose it is to be expected. Took him out first try, alone, without any problem. A FUGS to the face solves a lot of issues.

I am sure I missed, well, pretty much every NPC storyline. Also didn't play with covenants much. I definitely need to remedy that, but I figured it could wait for my next character.

Overall, I think this is very easily the best souls game, and From's best game to date. Everything felt better put together than the first two souls games. DS1 felt like it had some really unfinished areas, and DS2 had soul memory marring the whole experience. No big negative immediately stands out to me with this game.

I am really looking forward to seeing the DLC they put out for this. So long as they can keep up this level of quality, it will be amazing.

I think my next character is going to be a pyromancer. I want in on this burning things action. Guess I'll need to figure out the npc vendor and tome stuff though. I largely ignored that in the playthrough I just finished.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 28, 2016

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

There is a bunch of it in the two 'secret' areas. You can also buy it from the hag for 20000 souls eventually.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I made my second character, a pyromancer. I am apparently stupid though, and can not locate the first pyromancer trainer. He is supposedly in a cage on some rooftops? I am near the rooftop with the undead that gets all black and tentically, and am unsure where to find him.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

From reddit, questline for our Michelin Man Onion Knight friend:
He can actually die on that first step too, if you aren't careful. Can't go too slowly while killing that enemy. He will drop all of his stuff, including the sword and armor.

The Moon Monster posted:

So are any of the items in the obligatory lava pit worth swimming for? I remember them generally not being in previous games.
If I remember correctly, there is a combination miracle catalyst/pyro hand in there. Could be handy.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

I also found Yeorm but I can't figure out how to damage him. Anyone got a hint?
Look to see if there are any items in the boss arena you can pick up.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I did a quick test of sorcery damage. Heavy soul arrow, on a hollow right outside firelink.

16 int, +0 staff: 185 damage
16 int, +1 staff: 185 damage
17 int, +0 staff: 185 damage
17 int, +1 staff: 185 damage

So yeah, problems.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Now, raise FAI and see if the theory about FAI and INT being switched are true.
Just tried raising faith from 7 to 8. Still 185. I don't think that theory has any grounding. It looks to me like nothing at all is effecting spell damage. You do base damage all the time, no matter what your catalyst or stats are.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Dafuq is going on lol.
It has to be bugged. Hopefully they'll have a patch ready for the international release. The way things are now it looks like pyromancy is the only worthwhile damaging spellcasting.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Meatsicle posted:

Has anyone confirmed that it does scale with stats? Maybe it only scales with the glove and stats are only required to use spells, which would explain why pyro works and other magic doesn't.
I'll test it out in an hour or so. Should be able to get you some results.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Okay. Some pyro tests. Fire orb, hollow outside firelink.

+0 hand, 15 int, 14 fai - 114
+0 hand, 15 int, 14 fai + pyromancer starter ring (don't know the name) - 137.
+0 hand, 15 int, 14 fai + fire clutch ring - 132.
+0 hand, 15 int, 14 fai + both rings - 158.

The rings certainly seem to do their jobs. All tests from here on are done with both rings.

+0 hand, 16 int, 14 fai - 162
+0 hand, 16 int, 15 fai - 162
+1 hand, 16 int, 15 fai - 164
+2 hand, 16 int, 15 fai - 165
+2 hand, 16 int, 16 fai - 165
+2 hand, 17 int, 16 fai - 168

As best as I can tell, faith doesn't appear to be helping pyromancy. Int does. Upgrading the hand does too, but in these tests the hand upgrade was a much smaller bonus than I was expecting.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Good call. That is the weapon I chopped my way through the final third of the game with. Smash it into enemy faces until they fall over. Don't forget that you can buff it with resins too. I always kept a stack of lightning resin around to add just a tad more pain.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Try some summons. Particularly, look for pyromancers.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

I've killed him like 3 times helping others out but every time I summon in guys to kill him in my game I get stuck with a pack of goobers
I had to do it a few times myself. It is a hard boss. I finally summoned some pyromancer with what looked like great chaos fireball. That person melted the dancer good. I didn't have to do much but not die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So, NPC spoiler, how can I get Patches to show up? Even when I start new characters, I never see him as I come down from the tower manually. I do it really early too. Nothing. I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

• Locked thread