Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Ignore. I thought it was out on the 23rd not the 24th.

It is, depending on your timezones! Midnight on the 24th in Japan is like... 3 PM on the 23rd PST, and 6 PM EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just looked at Play-Asia just to see how much it would ring me if I decided to double dip and JESUS it's expensive. The 5000 yen card alone is like $70 :canada:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I got it for $50 USD. combined with the 3000 it was $80 total which isn't that bad.

CAD is in a very very bad place right now. $80 USD is over $105 CAD.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So the Xbone version has an English mode and the PS4 version doesn't? Or is the Xbone version literally just all in English because nobody cares enough about Xbox in Japan to warrant making a dedicated JP version?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone got a spare ¥3000 code sitting around? Play-Asia ran out during my transaction and now I'm stuck with just 5000 :geno: Should I just buy one from Nippon Yasan and hope for the best?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

They still have 2000 and 1000s in stock. Tiny bit more expensive, but there you go.

I don't even see a listing for 2000, and 1000 has the same warning that 3000 did before they sold out :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone got a translation of the option menus?

e: ah, Fextralife has pages of the nitty gritty stuff

e2: having X and O reversed is really loving me up

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 24, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

You can get an Uchigatana this early? That's pretty rad. Guy holding it was a chump, too.

Also uh... How do I start the game? I got to Firelink, and I don't know where to go from here. Warping doesn't work, and obviously I can't read any of the messages to get a hint.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 24, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Scrree posted:

To Alabaster: Warping should world; it's the first option in the Bonfire Menu. You should be able to access the High Wall of Lothric and start your journey there.

Like others have said, this game is pretty amazing, and PVP isn't even THAT terribly laggy considering I'm mostly interacting with people an ocean away.

The warp option just comes up with some message I can't read. There's also a strange percentage counter incrementing on the main menu, and I walked into an unloaded zone earlier. Maybe my game isn't fully installed yet or something?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pro-tip for people struggling with the reversed X and O buttons: you can do system-wide button swaps on PS4 that'll extend in-game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Goddamn these Lothric Knight fuckers are aggressive, huh? At least I took out the one in the blue cape, that motherfucker and got some of their swanky armor, and even their sword which is Balder Side Sword 2.0, by the looks of it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I didn't get as much time as I would have liked to play this yesterday, but I did get up to Firelink at least. Anyone else have a bit of trouble with Gundyr? I need to justify my difficulty with him.

I killed him before I even realized what was going on, with reversed X/O buttons too :kiddo:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HGH posted:

So uh.... Rings of Life/Soul Protection are destroyed permanently and removed from your inventory when that happens.
Oops.

I don't think a 20K repair fee would be too crazy.

They're the Rings of Sacrifice from DS1. They're best used as a one-time safety net for retrieving your bloodstain, because it won't disappear if you die with the ring on.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

If you want to go Hollow or get a certain unique merchant important for PvP, important note: Get those five free levels from Yeol before treading past the first bonfire in the Cathedral zone. That seems to be the point where Yeol curls up and dies naturally. I have set foot in the Tomb but no bonfire, I have killed Abyss watchers, that's it.

About the NPC: What's the trigger for getting Yeol's free levels? Sometimes he has them, sometimes he doesn't.

Speaking of another semi-early NPC: I have no idea what to think of Siegward. Is the joke that everyone from Catarina acts like this?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Leonard is a man after my own heart :swoon:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

Remember to sit at a bonfire after reviving from death. Otherwise your weapons don't get repaired for some reason.

Also, is there a list of how many Souls each consumable soul is worth?

The merchant lady seems to accept soul items for the same value you'd get if you'd crack them open. Check the sell list to find out.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

That was all it took to get a full Red Eye Orb? :getin:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

By the way, covenant donation menus finally let you donate as much as you want in one go.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jesus christ, be ready to fight if you use the Dried Finger. I'm only in the third major area, the marshlands zone, and I decided to use it only to be invaded by no less than 10 spirits back to back. 3 reds, an NPC red invader, and 6 blues. 3 Blue Sentinels warped in to help out too, but they kept getting beaten up by the giant crabs so I had to fight the invaders mostly 1v1 or even 2v1.

PVP is fast and satisfying, and even though I'm fighting literally 100% Japanese players, the lag is fairly minor and consistently only about a quarter second off. I can't wait to see what it'll be like on local internet.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 25, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NeuroticLich posted:

How does the dried finger work? Does it only last for X amount of time/specific area/single session/whatever else?

Lasts until you die or warp out :getin:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NeuroticLich posted:

Guess I'm gonna have to stock up on those!

It's infinite use :getin: :getin:

Invasion mechanic research:
You can invade while unkindled, and not only do you get a consumable Ember item on victory, you also get some unidentified token of sorts (probably a covenant item) AND it restores you to kindled form when you get to your world.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 25, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I've picked up these two key items that look like severed hands clutching what looks like blue caviar and a watch with a glowing chain, respectively. Anyone know what they are?

e: also, is there a miracle trainer I've missed somewhere? I've gotten sorcery and pyromancy so far but it seems like it's been a little too long to have not established the basic miracle vendor.
e2: also, where the hell is Loretta??

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 25, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what's the consensus on this game so far?

Is it at least better than Dark Souls II?

It might be the best one.... maybe.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 25, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

I've picked up these two key items that look like severed hands clutching what looks like blue caviar and a watch with a glowing chain, respectively. Anyone know what they are?

e: also, is there a miracle trainer I've missed somewhere? I've gotten sorcery and pyromancy so far but it seems like it's been a little too long to have not established the basic miracle vendor.

Turns out these are the items you give to the merchant to upgrade her stock, by the looks of it. A new option appears in the menu near the bottom.

e: The first point ties into the second one :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 25, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

You guys are fast... I think I'm on maybe the fifth or sixth boss lol.

I've played for 11 hours and I'm still in that loving goddamn swamp. I've fought, what... 3 bosses, if you count the tutorial boss? Every time I turn around this area has some massive other segment I apparently haven't been to, despite combing everything as thoroughly as possible.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Second major area: the archer giant on top of the tower gave me a branch that looks identical to the Chameleon branches, but has a seperate listing and different description. Anyone know what's up with that?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I was just invaded by a red phantom by myself, with no phantoms or dried finger effect active, in what I'm sure isn't a free PVP zone. Take that as you will...

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

That PVP rumor was deconfirmed a while ago, you can get invaded without accompanying phantoms as long as you're embered

I think since everyone is playing at the same time in the same areas, there's a bit of confirmation bias going on since everyone you'll invade will have phantoms. Good to know 1v1 is still possible.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Also Japanese players are notoriously stubborn about playing Souls games in co-op mode at all times if you're playing that version, lol.

More lambs to the slaughter :getin:

Speaking of invasions, I had a great one earlier where I invaded some guy and his two phantoms. One of them overextended so I managed to shield-break and riposte him, and the other phantom was made of toilet paper so he folded easily. Then it was just me and the host dueling it out, both of us near death... and I slip off a one-way cliff and had to black crystal out :geno:

But then, a few minutes later, guess who I invade again? The same guy already being flagged down by another invader while his phantoms get mulched by one of the giant ice lizards. His one surviving phantom was not happy to see us standing over his host's corpse :v:

It's really funny seeing the host's skills atrophy because he's been carried so long by phantoms. It's doubly amusing to see them start panicking every time you kill another phantom, which makes it that much easier cause they forget stuff like stamina management.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 26, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Scrree posted:

In my experience the Dark Souls 3 "I'm getting invaded and scared about it" kit includes the helmet from the Lothric Knights, the Butcher's Knife, and two phantoms glued to his hip.

The phantoms are always a cloth-garbed katana user who tries too hard, and some Drake Sword + Knight Shield-style idiot flailing around with the Deep Battle Axe or the Ice Sword, too.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Went working on a new TROGG and real successfully too, just want new rings, spare clubs then it's PvP time at lv15. Need a Titanite Chunk? Give the birds a black firebomb. Nice trade.

I was really worried this game wouldn't cater to the PVP crowd very well, but seeing the Cracked Orb starting gift actually being 4 CREOs, and then having some NPC hand me another 5 while telling me how to get a full orb just completely reassured me. I've had more satisfying PVP in this game so far than the entirety of DS2, although that isn't saying much ;)

I've also mostly been winning even on 2v1s or 3v1s, for the people who were afraid of getting gangbanged by ganksquads. Being able to estus really makes a huge difference, and if you're the type of person who wants to invade, you'll be able to get it done no problem.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone know what the crow wants this time? I can't make out the dialogue.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gnumonic posted:

Does anyone know where the Great Swamp Pyromancy Tome is? I think I missed it somewhere .

It's in the swamp, appropriately enough. I think all 3 spell upgrade scrolls are in there?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

4th(?) boss: High Lord Wolnir is THE coolest boss ever. Shame he's unbelievably piss easy.

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm a huge rear end in a top hat but in my defense, I fully intended to help until I realized I was low on HP :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_taoLGHkm8

Only spoilers are for VERY early game.

e: How'd you get into Mound Makers?

e2: Hell, might as well ask right now: how do I go meet Rosaria ASAP?

e3: never mind, found the area that clearly leads into where I want to go

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 26, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just had a great idea that popped into my head, and guess what? They already did it! If you hold down on the D-pad, it auto-switches to your Estus Flask.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

There's a patch coming on the 29th and not a moment too soon, the so far sub-zone exclusive (late as heck game) framedrops wreck my brain.

For some reason the graveyard zone is having atrocious frame drops only AFTER I've died. First go? Smooth as butter. Second? Single digit FPS :confused:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Certain gestures are voiced and your character actually talks :stare:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pews posted:

So I'm in the blue covenant, the first one, and I think I had an NPC spirit invade me. Then I had a blue spirt join me but he just started attacking me too. He seemed like an actual player. I managed to kill them both, but was that just trolling? Am I better off not using that covenant if it can just end up like that?

The blue spirit could have been a spirit of vengeance, you dirty sinner ;)

Just had an insane PVP experience: I invade some chump and beat him up for a bit, and he summons in a phantom who I kill in seconds cause they had no HP. Then the host summons ANOTHER phantom, and ANOTHER, and then a blue sentinel warps in. Then a second red spirit warps in and starts spamming pyromancy everywhere so I have to weave in and out of phantom attacks while dodging friendly fire from the other invader. The host finally runs out of estus, I corner him and score the kill, and then me and the other invader fight each other over the dead host :allears:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 26, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

First mobs in NG0 are 70some HP? NG+1 it's 300ish. It's like starting anew.

Ah, Bloodborne-level scaling where NG+ starts off where NG0 ended? Rad. On that note, is it just me or do enemies and bosses have weirdly low HP? Maybe I've just built my character too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Harrow posted:

I've heard the first few areas still have the preview build balancing, where they were easier so that journalists could make progress. That could be wrong, though, or just an excuse someone's spreading for the first few areas being really easy.

Actually, the first areas were really really brutal and seem to have eased up over time. I'll chalk it up to my stellar character building. Heavy Longsword 4lyfe :c00l:

• Locked thread