Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

why the hell aren't politicians just openly saying "Saudi Arabia"

surely, surely, there must be someone who understands what's happening and hasn't yet been bribed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Rakosi posted:

Clearly I was talking about Indonesia.

That's the point I'm making. You were talking about Islam, which is by far larger and has more aspects that what you wanted to talk about. Don't say "Islam" if you mean a very specific part of Islam that most muslims have nothing to do with.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Spangly A posted:

surely, surely, there must be someone who understands what's happening and hasn't yet been bribed.

Trump has done exactly that.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The thread started with accusing people of making excuses for terrorists but then we have posts like this.

I don't disagree that you can feel some sympathy for people committing violence in defence of perceived foreign oppression of their homeland but if you accept this I guess Islamist terrorists attacking western expats in the Middle East and West Africa are more acceptable than the ones in Europe?

Unless you are a dyed in the wool IRA supporter presumably you can try to have some understanding for the motives of IRA terrorists whilst condemning the acts of violence carried out on their behalf (as well as believing that understanding this helps deal with the problem in itself). There isn't anything to separate this from applying the same standard to ISIS terrorists other than prejudice or being reactionary against liberal PCness/progressivism.

I condemn all acts of terrorism, but you have to deal with the problem according to the circumstances. In the case of the IRA or local middle eastern terrorists, you have to initiate some kind of peace talks while in the case of Islamist terrorists in Europe the state has to crush them with a iron fist (the terrorists and their supporters, not all Muslims).

Related: The support for suicide attacks is not just limited to Wahabists http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/01/concerns-about-islamic-extremism-on-the-rise-in-middle-east/pg-2014-07-01-islamic-extremism-10/

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

GaussianCopula posted:

There is pretty good evidence that Belgium is not in danger of doing to much with regards to repression of terrorism.
Every time major attacks have happened abroad, there's been a plethora of measures taking by Belgian politicians.

Shut up about Belgium if you know nothing about Belgium.

Rakosi posted:

5) Ban it. Deport all Imams that preach it, and close all Mosques that have an overbearing tradition in it. Make preaching of such ideologies a hate crime and illegal.
So jailing and deporting religious extremists, or basically what has already been happening and it hasn't magically made terrorism disappear.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deltasquid posted:

Often. Belgium is in a limbo state between federal and confederal model and we have constitutional articles stating "We agreed to do X some day, but will wait for a better time to implement it" like giving the states the residual competences instead of the federal state. There's a list of things the federal level is competent in, but so far it is not yet implemented. It's very much a baby steps process of agreeing on specific fields of law or even specific issues (financial aid for youth clubs!) that are devolved one by one, pretty much.

Whenever there is a vote on changing the Constitution, the parliament needs to mark which articles they want to change with a special majority. There are elections, and the new parliament, again with a special majority, votes how to amend the selected articles (and choosing not to amend them at all is a valid option).
I see. Seems weird to me, but I guess it makes sense given the federal/confederal model Belgium has.

Spangly A posted:

Wait for Trump to weigh in, unless his love of tacky decor has made him blind to their faults.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

CSM posted:

So jailing and deporting religious extremists, or basically what has already been happening and it hasn't magically made terrorism disappear.

Not to the degree necessary.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GaussianCopula posted:

I condemn all acts of terrorism, but you have to deal with the problem according to the circumstances. In the case of the IRA or local middle eastern terrorists, you have to initiate some kind of peace talks while in the case of Islamist terrorists in Europe the state has to crush them with a iron fist (the terrorists and their supporters, not all Muslims).

Do you just quote from this routine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkEEqXT3uQ

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Related: The support for suicide attacks is not just limited to Wahabists http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/01/concerns-about-islamic-extremism-on-the-rise-in-middle-east/pg-2014-07-01-islamic-extremism-10/

If it becomes apparent that these attacks are actually ISIS linked the root cause of the problem IS a 'local' middle eastern terrorist organisation though. If you support peace talks with ISIS I'll retract my implied criticism of your double standards.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

botany posted:

That's the point I'm making. You were talking about Islam, which is by far larger and has more aspects that what you wanted to talk about. Don't say "Islam" if you mean a very specific part of Islam that most muslims have nothing to do with.

You're painting the use of the word with broader and broader inclusions to try make it unusable and put words in my mouth. The reason I used it (in the context of Islamic terror in Europe) was clearly in regard to the role that I think the Islamic community (IN EUROPE) has to take in having a transparent analysis of its most closed communities. I have almost unfailing, I think, used "Wahhabism" when talking about the source of the particular sect responsible.

I see no reason why I can't use both, for different reasons.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How often do you need to change your constitution? And is it done entirely without the general public getting a (direct) say in the matter? Not directly relevant to the topic, but I would like to know.

Hypothetical ones Belgium could institute to cut down on radicalization.

I'm not getting in-depth on this (in part because I'm not familiar with the specifics, but here's a wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_reform_in_Belgium

Basically un-touched from independence to 1970, then about once every 10 years on average.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

CSM posted:

Let me add international sanctions (or military action if that doesn't work) on Saudi Arabia to the list then. And by the way, we haven't been doing this already, or properly enough.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

"We need to solve the problem with more force against minorities".

Rakosi posted:

Let me add international sanctions (or military action if that doesn't work) on Saudi Arabia to the list then. And by the way, we haven't been doing this already, or properly enough.

how do you propose we prevent suicide bombers? do you actually want all governments to try to read all conversations? by procedure, suicide bombings are used exactly because it's really not hard to pull off.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I see. Seems weird to me, but I guess it makes sense given the federal/confederal model Belgium has.

Wait for Trump to weigh in, unless his love of tacky decor has made him blind to their faults.

Donald Trump and understanding aren't things that spring to my mind together.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

139, 197 & 541 are all significantly above 100 days? So what you're saying is these formation periods are exceptionally long? Cool, we agree then.
It should be noted that these formation periods are for the federal government - which, aside from using a caretaker government during the formation period, is just one of the multiple levels of government here. These days, the regional parliaments have a much greater impact on day to day life than the federal government, seeing as many of the responsibilities of the federal government have been devolved to the Flemish and Walloon parliaments. That said, the 541 day formation period was an outlier because that was a full blown political crisis.

Calling Belgium dysfunctional is operating at babby-level of understanding. Our country is a mess and it's not quite clear how everything just doesn't cave in, but for some reason it doesn't. In fact, we're very much a country that just keeps chugging along, political crises or not.

The argument about Belgian dysfunctionality being to blame for the terrorist attacks in Paris and Brussels looks at the nature of Brussels (French-majority city in a traditionally Flemish region, it's own political entity outside of Flanders and Wallonia, the centre of one of the most important political disputes in Belgium) and assumes that this is the reason why Molenbeek is what it is. But in essence, there's very little difference between Molenbeek and the French banlieus or any other poor, immigrant community enclaves in the world. The unique situation in Brussels/Belgium is barely relevant here. Which police district has authority over Molenbeek and why there isn't a single police district for the entirety of Brussels - that's just a red herring. It doesn't explain why we fail to prevent radicalisation, because those actual reasons are pretty much exactly the same as the reasons why, for instance, the French banlieus have the same problems.

But of course, from a foreigner's perspective, it fits. Because Belgian politics and Belgian society are notoriously difficult to understand and needlessly complicated. And us Belgians, we're happy to play along because it's a narrative that really fits rather well into Belgian political grudges and it's one that doesn't shine a light on our actual problem - our complete and utter failure towards our immigrant and poor communities.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Rakosi posted:

You're painting the use of the word with broader and broader inclusions to try make it unusable and put words in my mouth. The reason I used it (in the context of Islamic terror in Europe) was clearly in regard to the role that I think the Islamic community (IN EUROPE) has to take in having a transparent analysis of its most closed communities. I have almost unfailing, I think, used "Wahhabism" when talking about the source of the particular sect responsible.

I see no reason why I can't use both, for different reasons.

Indonesia is literally the world's largest muslim population center. I'm not sure how that constitutes an overly broad interpretation of the word "Islam" on my part. Of course you meant Islamic communities in Europe, and obviously I understand that. But the overly broad use of "Islam" where "local radical Wahhabist community" would be correct means we get poo poo like this:

quote:

Hate crimes targeting Muslims, their mosques and businesses, have tripled this year [...] There have been reports of anti-Islamic attacks across the country wherever Muslims live. Girls wearing hijabs have been harassed. Mosques have been defaced and targeted by arsonists. One Muslim woman was menaced by a man with a knife. A Queens shopkeeper was beaten-up by a customer shouting anti-Muslim slurs.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

If it becomes apparent that these attacks are actually ISIS linked the root cause of the problem IS a 'local' middle eastern terrorist organisation though. If you support peace talks with ISIS I'll retract my implied criticism of your double standards.

I support peace talks between Sunnites and Shiites in the middle east. It's probably an interesting question how the ability to flee shifts the demographics of the Syrian population, as most of the moderates leave the country.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

you know, the catholic community really needs to take responsibility for hiding the IRA. And the protestants have got to sort out their American crazed gunmen.

Oh wait, those sentences don't make any loving sense.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

GaussianCopula posted:

Good, jailing hundreds of people across Europe for thought crimes is a horrible idea and would only make the problem worse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Spangly A posted:

"We need to solve the problem with more force against minorities".
You don't need force against minorities to treat Saudi Arabia as a hostile state.

Spangly A posted:

Donald Trump and understanding aren't things that spring to my mind together.
I don't think Trump is half the buffoon he pretends to be, and it's not like it's super difficult to put two and two together.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

I support peace talks between Sunnites and Shiites in the middle east. It's probably an interesting question how the ability to flee shifts the demographics of the Syrian population, as most of the moderates leave the country.

Does this involve ISIS in some sort of negotiated settlement? For obvious reasons I see no political will for this happening any time soon.

I anticipate the status quo (of low level military action against Islamists in the ME and corresponding violence against Western civilians) is sadly just going to continue for like 50+ years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think Trump is half the buffoon he pretends to be, and it's not like it's super difficult to put two and two together.

....meh, that gives Trump a little too much credit.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Does this involve ISIS in some sort of negotiated settlement? For obvious reasons I see no political will for this happening any time soon.

I anticipate the status quo (of low level military action against Islamists in the ME and corresponding violence against Western civilians) is sadly just going to continue for like 50+ years.

No. ISIS needs to be eradicated but Sunnites need to be involved in a negotiated settlement.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

CSM posted:

Good, jailing hundreds of people for thought crimes is a terrible idea.

I may have posted dumb poo poo about Belgium but I'm glad you're still sane and making good arguments despite this horrendous tragedy

I don't think the oil lasts that long

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Spangly A posted:

how do you propose we prevent suicide bombers? do you actually want all governments to try to read all conversations? by procedure, suicide bombings are used exactly because it's really not hard to pull off.

Consider Wahhabism a hostile, illegal cult. The government that sponsors hostile agents in our states is a hostile government. Give them a chance to remove all influence in this area, and if they do not; sever ties with that state, expel all diplomatic missions, wind down trade and sever alliances. Include attempts of internet recruitment into the sect as acts of hostility. Make it illegal for anyone (but probably in practice, Muslims) to knowingly not report or otherwise shield preachers or members of this particular sect (in the same way that priests can be prosecuted in some jurisdictions for not reporting confessions of certain natures).

I have no qualms with going full Fingermen on Wahhabists.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is Saudi Arabia's involvement that they want ISIS to get rid of Shias and any collateral damage to the West is just whatever?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Wahhabism and Saudi mosques have been shown to have a negligible impact on the radicalisation of those who end up fighting in Syria. (those who come from Belgium, anyway) Most, if not all, are radicalised by family members, friends or whoever in their social networks.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
No politician that values reelection (or reelection of their party) will sanction Saudi Arabia, as they will immediately enact an oil embargo and drive prices through the roof. The rabble will blame the politicians in charge, and their replacement will give an even sloppier blowjob to the Saudis in recompense.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Banning Wahhabism and Saudi Arabia won't stop terrorist attacks. These are partly to blame for alot of Muslims being regressive and Islamic communities' social oppressiveness. But those regressive asshats largely aren't the guys blowing themselves up. It's going to be some dude, 20-30 who for whatever reason has found a new raison d'etre in Islamic identity and (in his mind) taking a stand against those who oppress and kill muslims.

These guys don't care about Islamic law and theology they care about Islamic identity. They aren't radicalized in a mosque, they're radicalized on the internet (or in prison).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, it is confirmed that ISIS did it? Or just very probable?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You don't need force against minorities to treat Saudi Arabia as a hostile state.

Saudi Arabia is just one fundie petrostate. Radical Islam could be erased if people were ready to move into renewables or pay more at the pump, but that's hard/costs money, so...

They don't have anything other then Oil.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

CSM posted:

Which terrorists? The Paris terrorists? They were 5 French and 2 Belgian nationals. Not immigrants.

Like this matters? People here in general don't go "oh he has a French passport and he's born and raised here so he's French," they go "he's an Arab/Muslim who has a French passport."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The problem is the failure of the postcolonial Arab states in Egypt/Iraq/Syria and also North Africa. The Saudis suck but are more tangential IMO

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This is a really weak and victim-blaming excuse, prosecutors have to be able to do their job, the terrorists and terrorists alone must accept responsibility.

R. Mute posted:

Wahhabism and Saudi mosques have been shown to have a negligible impact on the radicalisation of those who end up fighting in Syria. (those who come from Belgium, anyway) Most, if not all, are radicalised by family members, friends or whoever in their social networks.
How exactly has it been 'shown'?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Like this matters? People here in general don't go "oh he has a French passport and he's born and raised here so he's French," they go "he's an Arab/Muslim who has a French passport."
Of course it matters. People's racist misconceptions don't exactly trump facts, especially when people are dying to pin this on immigrants in general and refugees in specific.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, it is confirmed that ISIS did it? Or just very probable?

A reliable source(According to this thread) confirmed that ISIS claimed the attack as theirs.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

rudatron posted:

Local news here reported on a study that said maybe one in twenty Belgian Syria fighters were - possibly - recruited via a mosque.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

rudatron posted:

This is a really weak and victim-blaming excuse, prosecutors have to be able to do their job, the terrorists and terrorists alone must accept responsibility.

And there might have been too much information from an overzealous prosecutor. But the information about Abdeslam wanting to talk came from his lawyer in the first place.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

R. Mute posted:

Local news here reported on a study that said maybe one in twenty Belgian Syria fighters were - possibly - recruited via a mosque.

that's got absolutely nothing to do with a discussion on the impacts of state-funded extremist-leaning religious sects on a community.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

R. Mute posted:

That's irrelevant to the question of how responsible Wahhabism is. If the people who recruited them were ideological inspired or related to Wahhabism coming from Saudi Arabia, there absolutely is a connection. You don't need a direct relationship between Wahhabi mosques -> radicals for there to still be a cause/effect relationship - ie your claim that it has then been 'shown to have a negligable impact' is without basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
These neo-nazi groups merely use the same symbology and language as the actual historical nazis, but it turns out very few of them are actually related to any of the original nazis. Ergo there is no relationship -> this is what your logic implies.

• Locked thread