Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

menino posted:

Radical Islam does not make them violent and disillusioned, they become violent and disillusioned and they find radical Islam. These guys are petty criminals who find a post-colonial religion.
This logic works for gangs and normal criminal behavior, sure. I think it falls down in light of Saudi Arabia spending billions of dollars promoting extremism throughout the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Majorian posted:

If this were accurate, radical Islamism would be considerably more widespread than it is, and would cut across a wider swath of demographics than it actually does. As it stands, it's pretty clear that people who are recruited into Islamist terrorist groups are predisposed to being radicalized.
"Radical Islam" has spread throughout the western world and I contend that it is widespread. Can you name a western country that hasn't been the victim of Islamic terrorism in the past decade? Immigrants and native citizens alike of countries all across the world have detonated bombs or used guns or knives to kill people in the name of Islam. Some of them from middle class comfortable lives free of poverty or other excuses.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Lotka Volterra posted:

I suppose this is where we differ. In my mind, the primary concern is addressing the conditions that lead to the response and addressing the ideology in addition to that, or if both are not possible then simply the former. But purely addressing ideology will get us nowhere.
Sure it can. If we purely address the ideology in question, and wipe it out, then instead of suicide bombs and gun massacres the same people will just steal cars, sell drugs, and fall into a normal criminal lifestyle. That's a big step forward in my opinion from Jihadism.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

The Larch posted:

Shooting other people: famous for being something only done by Muslims.
You seemed to have failed to grasp the concept I was presenting of Jihadism vs. "normal criminal behavior." Killing simply to kill vs. killing to gain money, power, drugs. I'm sure you can see the difference.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

The Larch posted:

One results in one or more dead people and the other results in one or more dead people?
One results in a global suicide cult centered around maximizing a body count and inspiring others to copy the attacks and the other results in crime that doesn't leave city limits.

• Locked thread