Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Reminder that Belgium has the highest radicalization rate in the world. 800 Muslims from Belgium go to fight for ISIS out of every 1 million in the country. Several times higher than what you see in the Middle East. Just in case anyone thinks it's a smart idea to get their racism on towards refugees after this. The flow of jihadist ideology comes out of Belgium, not towards it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nimby posted:

Local radio is reporting 13 dead, 35 wounded in zaventem airport.

Reuters is echoing this.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Speculation, but something to keep in mind.

https://twitter.com/ksnavarra/status/712197136859983872

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Karmalis posted:

Asking out of ignorance, how would they be such champs in that?

Western Muslims are generally way more likely to become sympathetic to jihadist ideology than Muslims anywhere else, statistically. There's well established networks and militant Imam's that reach recruits, and their message obviously resonates with disaffected Muslims living in the West, although it's still an extremely small part of the overall Muslim population in Western countries. As far as why Belgium has such higher rates than other major jihadist hubs in Europe, I couldn't tell you. There's obviously something though, because they are a pretty big outlier.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Counter-terrorism dude saying that if this was part of Abdeslam's cell, it would be unprecedented. After the first big strike in other attacks, the response has been adequate to shut down the cell before they could attack again. If this group managed to get two, then that's not good news.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dazzling Addar posted:

i do not think it does, personally. at least not in this case.

saying that the people who were murdered were wrong for leaving their houses and going to the airport because of their racists attitude towards muslims invites violence would be victim blaming, and also very stupid

speculating that belgium as a country has problems with radicalizing its muslim population and this might contribute to a higher concentration of terrorist attacks is not victim blaming, it is looking for an explanation for aberrant, dangerous behavior. i couldn't tell you whether or not this is an accurate assessment of the issue, but the takeaway here is that there might be more complex systemic issues at work creating an environment where violence thrives. it is neither an absolution nor indictment of belgium's policies or the terrorist's actions.

in other words, the victims of the attacks are blameless, and this is never in dispute. when people speculate about things like this, it is at a systemic level.

Well said. Here's an article that expands further on Belgium in particular if anyone is interested in finding out more about it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/11/belgium-radical-islam-jihad-molenbeek-isis/416235/

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deltasquid posted:

I think this person meant that the prosecutors revealed too much information to the media which caused this cell to spring into action. Fear of being caught or something. I think it's far-fetched, though.

This is what he was saying. As I said, it's speculation, but it's interesting. No doubt that Abdeslam's homies were watching his trial closely. I don't know what kind of information did or didn't make it to the press though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jonnypeh posted:

Countries with little to no muslim population have no problems whatsoever with islamic terrorists. Just saying.

600,000 is a pretty small Muslim population.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jonnypeh posted:

I was thinking more like 200.

Hmm yes, Greenland doesn't have much of an issue with terrorism. Great points all round op.

HUMAN FISH posted:

Why are people jumping to conclusions that it's islamic terrorism? Is there any proof?
It could be a far right group as well.

I saw a report that allah ackbars were heard, but we'll see. Odds are that's what it is.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

5% of the population is a sizeable minority, actually.

He was referring to bulk numbers.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rakosi posted:

Okay but by itself isolation and oppression doesn't make a religious extremist suicide bomber. You missed a component in your analysis there. Y'know, the religion bit.

Yes, but at the same time, Bangladesh and India combined have over 300 million Muslims, yet have had less of an issue with Islamic terrorism over the last few years than Belgium and France, who have less than 6 million Muslims between them. There are a shitload of factors at play here, and none of them is really the dominant one.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

shrike82 posted:

erm, Bangladesh and India have been grappling with domestic muslim terrorism bigger than anything seen in the West.

Attacks in India have almost all been done by Pakistani nationals. And Bangladesh hasn't had anything like this.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Bangladesh has had like dozens of journalists stabbed to death by Muslim extremists for blasphemy in the last few years?

Less than died today in Belgium. If you add in the Paris attacks, you'd probably have to go back decades in Bangladesh to reach an equivalent death toll, if you could at all.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Archer666 posted:

Kurdish station "Rudaw" saying that ISIS claimed the attacks. So far that's the only source that says that, so take it with a grain of salt.

Rudaw is a bit sketchy on inter-Kurdish politics, but when it comes to something like this they're pretty reliable. They deal with ISIS a lot as you'd expect, so if it's popped up on social media in ISIS circles or something, they'd know about it. Still no sure thing, but it's pretty likely ISIS has at least claimed the attacks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

the trump tutelage posted:

Shift those goal posts!

I'm forced to believe you don't know what this phrase means.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rakosi posted:

This is where we disagree I think. I see no reason to not mention the word "Islam" in this debate and particularly in the context of its role in turning disaffected people into deadly disaffected people, except for offending overly delicate sensibilities. It is broad, but considering Wahhabist self-identification is rampant among these terrorists, and Wahhabism is a brand of Islam, why shouldn't there be an intelligent and honest conversation on the subject? I don't think anyone gets to tell someone "Oh, that faith and belief that made you blow yourself up and murder a bunch of people? You didn't actually believe in that. You were just politically driven".

This topic almost seems like an Onion sketch sometimes; we could have an ISIS leader ITT actually saying he planned this for all the reasons (Islam, Allah, infidels, etc) that liberals don't want to believe he actually had. We would have people here, I'm sure, actually trying to tell him "no, you're secular, you just don't understand what you're talking about". It seems cartoonishly naive.

I don't think you're having an intelligent discussion, although one is certainly needed, I agree. If you actually read into jihadist ideology, they talk about politics a lot more than they talk about Islam. For sure they have a set of ideals they stick to, usually one that is taught to you by a 19 year old Libyan "Islamic scholar," but it's not the religious rhetoric that gets people on board, or is the driving ideology. It's secondary. The major talking point is the persecution they claim exists against Islam in general. Some of their examples are true, some aren't, but at the end of the day, if you subscribe to their propaganda, the only answer is to fight to save the Muslims from the enemy. Whether that enemy be the near enemy, oppressive dictatorship and unaccountable sectarian militias massacring Sunni's, or the far enemy, like the US and its allies bombing away in support of their world war against Islam.

If you're at that point, then you believe a lot of the heinous poo poo done by ISIS and similar minded groups is trumped up by Western propaganda to feed the machine of persecution against Muslims. If you try to talk to a jihadist about unjust executions in Syria or attacks that kill civilians, they generally don't come back with some sort of Islamic justification. They accuse you of hyping up deaths in the name of justice for Muslims while ignoring when Muslims are slaughtered for no reason, and poo poo like that. You out yourself as one of the bad guys who feed into the system of oppression against Muslims worldwide. It's a really conspiratorial line of thinking, but feeding into it doesn't help anyone. Primarily because when it comes to these jihadists, the view is that talking was already tried by the Muslim Brotherhood, and it didn't accomplish anything domestically or internationally. So the line now is that violence is the only way forward in that fight. You really have to counter that narrative if you want to have a chance to shine a light on that subculture and root it out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

the trump tutelage posted:

Hmmm...

Moving from talk of Islamic terrorist attacks in general to specific body count when facts crop up that don't fit the narrative. No, I got it.

Bangladesh has well over 200 times the Muslim population of Belgium. If Bangladesh had issues with terrorism at the scale of Belgium, assuming this is the one terrorist attack that Belgium has for the next 5 years, over 1,000 people would be dying every single year in the country. Not to mention there would be over 100,000 fighters who joined ISIS. Instead, you have like 9 assassinations over the last year, which is less than have died today in the 200 times smaller Muslim population country. So, like I said, Bangladesh does not have anything like that. No goalpost moving necessary.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

It's not discrimination if you force new arrivals to comply with your laws and morals. I'm sorry, but if they don't like it, they are free to go back to where they came from. They get the same welfare support as every other person that is unable to support themselves. Maybe it would be better if the state would force them to assimilate more into society by withholding the support.

Are you really arguing that governments should deny aid programs to Muslims until they renounce their religion? lol

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
tell me more about secretarian violence arkane.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

So the proxy war in Yemen between Saudi Arabia and Iran is a consequence of Western oppression ? Ideology has no role at all ?

That particular conflict is way more political than ideological. Iran for instance, armed the Sunni Taliban when it suited their political goals, so it's not like they're staunchly sectarian. KSA and Iran certainly use sectarian rhetoric when it benefits them, but that's not the driver. The bigger issue is that the power structures in the middle east are changing and Iran and KSA are the two biggest countries with the potential to capitalize on it. That's what Yemen, Syria, Iraq, and Lebanon are about.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

I nominate Molenbeek. Raid every single flat in that community and everyone who actively or passively supported the terrorists/ISIS gets punished. Do the same in all other boroughs that have similar problems.

Collective punishment with the goal of spreading fear of the government among would-be radicals is workin really well for Egypt, let me tell you.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

I think there is probable cause that they are aiding and abetting terrorists, therefore police should conduct the necessary investigations to gather more proof.

Break all their poo poo while we're in there too. And rough em up a little bit. Let em know who's boss.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

waitwhatno posted:

If you have the hair and orange face for it, you should run for Eurotrump.

Make Europe great again/Am deutschen Wesen soll Europa genesen!

now now, the raids would be temporary, not permanent. just until we figure out what's going on.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Space Gopher posted:

I agree, if you take members of an ethnic/religious minority who have worked hard to attain all the signifiers of cultural accomplishment they're supposed to, put them in a white-collar job doing the same work as members of the majority, and then make it clear to them that they're never going to get ahead, that their coworkers and neighbors are always going to mutter "fuckin' terrorist" behind their backs at them, and politicians will use them as a scapegoat whenever it's convenient, it's utterly inconceivable to think that a few might be radicalized.

So, the proposed solution from a lot of people who should know better is to further ostracize these people, make it clear that they should be grateful, the savages, and make sure they can hear it when we mutter slurs at them. Because, after all, they're middle class.

It's more young suburban kids that get into it. Their parents are in the situation you describe. They end up in contact with someone on the internet or locally who tells them all about how the west is persecuting Muslims all over and inspire them to go do something about it. Gives them a sense of purpose and all that jazz. It's a really weird phenomenon. Western jihadists are brought up extremely differently than their Middle Eastern counterparts though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Junior G-man posted:

Jesus Christ what is it about EuroPol and Euro-event threads that's just a honeypot for racists and xenophobes?

You know what we're doing in Brussels? Making street art. Our event today stopped for 2 minutes of silence, after which ALL speakers urged restraint and peace.

I do despair our continent sometimes.

idk, but it sucks rear end. thanks for your posts.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AllanGordon posted:

The majority of the migrants were not from Syria and instead came to Europe for welfare. It's not like they are capable of getting jobs with their education backgrounds that don't even reach what a 13 year old would learn.

Oh wait that might trigger you.

Let's keep letting them in so we can finally get over the white guilt of the terrible history of building infrastructure in other countries.

how are you not banned yet

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkie posted:

And when the people say "Why are you searching my home?" the police say _____

we're just looking for some isises. noticed there were a lot of women wearin those funny things on their heads around this neighborhood so we figured we would take a look. say, you haven't seen any isis lately have you?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lagotto posted:

Stop pretending like you are the voice of Brussels or something, you are most likely just an expat sponging off of some EU institution. Got plenty of collegeaus holed up in offices, using the very metro stations that got bombed that are certainly not agreeing with you.

I remember the types back when 9/11 happened. My advice would be not to let them drive policy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

According to the European Commision no Kurds arrived in Greece the last few month. But good try.

The Sunni Sheitat tribe refused to pledge allegiance to ISIS with ISIS knocking on the door despite having no way to fend them off. A fight kicked off, but given the disparity between the fighting forces, it was more of a massacre. Over 1,000 of them have been killed so far, with the rest fleeing the country. Those Sunni Arabs are more anti-ISIS than you'll ever be. Go gently caress yourself.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

The point was that Kurds are suppressed in Turkey and therefore asking them not to flee from there would be inhuman. Not sure how the story of a brave Sunni tribe relates to that argument.

I thought you were taking issue with the "kurds are the ones who are fighting isis" part, not the Turkey part. As in we could let the Kurds in because they fight ISIS (which is a dumb, cheerleady thing to say), but none of the refugees are Kurds, so there's no one to let in. My apologies for telling you to go gently caress yourself on that post. Redirect it to the one where you called for martial law for Muslims.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

Higher than Iraq?

It's impossible to collect figures on Iraq and Syria because the countries are in a state of civil war. It's like trying to analyze how many Germans were radicalized Nazi's in the 1940's. Too many other dynamics at play to get realistic figures. But of all the countries that export citizens to the wars, Belgium is way up there per capita.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

If you only count ISIS, maybe. There have been a ton of other radical militants in Iraq over the last decade. Remember the Sunni-Shia strife?

There's Shia militias as well, but I don't think they'd fit into the Western definition of "terrorists." Although they are certainly extremists and they commit crimes against humanity on sectarian grounds just like jihadist groups do. But as far as Sunni militias go, ISIS is all-encompassing of the jihadist movement in Iraq. In Syria, it's far more fractured.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

So Sunnis and Shi'as killing each other for a 1000 years has nothing to do with belief. Got it

Modern sectarianism didn't kick off until the 70's. The whole "killing each other for a thousand years" talking point is silly, and it's been debunked a billion times.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

You've stumbled into the correct answer, but have come to the wrong conclusion.

All of these backwards beliefs came to the fore again in the 50s, 60s, and 70s because of renewed religiosity, and a more comprehensive embracing of Islam.

Nah, it was because Saddam and Khomeini came into power at the same time and we got into some next level dickwaving. The Iran/Iraq War followed, and KSA got into the games as well, and the remaining, smaller nations in the Middle East quickly aligned along sectarian lines.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You'll see! You'll all see! History will vindicate me! You'll seeeeee *melts*

- the bigot

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oracle posted:

not all that effective period when it comes down to it. Chemicals disperse in open areas too quickly, biological attacks can affect your own people, they just plain don't work all that well.

Largely true, but Ghouta showed us that carpet bombing a neighborhood with CW is a very effective way to get down in those nooks and crannies to kill hiding people that conventional rounds can't quite get to. ISIS doesn't have the kind of infrastructure for that sort of attack tho, thankfully.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

No there was a thread opened after the Paris attack to try to contain the crazy that lasted a while - there was some good posts in it breaking down specific hadith and jurisprudence but most of it was just howls from the shadows

it was real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nermal posted:

You won't change the behaviour of Islamist extremists with theological argument or political negotiation. I don't want us to understand them or accommodate them, I want the jackboot grinding on their face until there are none of them left.

this was the strategy in iraq from 2003-2007.

• Locked thread