Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

R. Mute posted:

It's more than just inequality in economic terms, it's also about discrimination, identity, integration, etc.

If that explained it, First Nations terrorism would be an ever-present threat in every city in North America. Yet, as if by a miracle, it's not! I think there's other factors at play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would like to come out and say I think, all other possibilities aside, I think GaussianCopula's proposition of an anti-Muslim pogrom is a very poor idea and it shouldn't be done.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Failing to report that the most wanted man in Europe is being hidden by your neighbour should be punishable, yes.

Yeah, I can't really argue with this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JohannesSilentio posted:

No, 'hatred' is not an ideology, and trying to state that the reasons for today's attack in Brussels was solely on the basis of 'hatred' ignores their own stated reasons. Their doctrine is fundamentally rooted in Islam, in particular the Wahhabist interpretation. Hatred is the output of this ideology. Again, I don't understand why we have to circumvent this in the discussion of IS.

I think they're saying that hatred is what underlies any specific ideology. They're pissed off and violent, and they'll latch on to whatever vector best allows them to express it. Right now, Wahhabism is the most effective vector, which is why we're seeing these mental defectives gravitate toward it, regardless of race. If it weren't there, these people would just latch on to some other nonsense.

This isn't to say we oughtn't do the utmost to extinguish Wahhabi ideology from the earth, but let's not pretend we'd suddenly live in peace and harmony otherwise.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HapiMerchant posted:

Truly all these extremists merely need hugs and free gifts from the Great Satan to settle down and realise that killing yourself in the name of god isnt the best idea.

Was this a response to me? I believe quite the opposite; I think these people need to be killed or imprisoned because they're completely broken, I'm just saying that Wahhabism is not the alpha and omega of the problem.

The honky motherfucker who converts to Islam and goes from Calgary and gets blown to loving bits in Syria was never going to be anything but a drain on society in some way. The precise focus of his delusions are inconsequential.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ddraig posted:

I'd kind of like to have a comprehensive list of religious ideologies that have been successfully eradicated via the sword.

Has there been any? A single one?

One doesn't see many Cathars these days.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

See? That breaks my heart. It's not some random Syrian dude, who's probably worse off than any of the whiny European-born Daesh cocksuckers, who's in any way responsible for this. He's got nothing to be sorry for. We should be sorry for associating him with the murderous pricks who committed this horrible crime.

On the issue of integration: it's more than that. One of my city's contributions to Daesh was a thick loving white boy who converted to Islam and decided to go be cannon fodder in Syria. What the gently caress was he rebelling against? He felt picked on and not coddled by the world, so obviously the solution is to go try and kill innocent people, right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Here's a possibility:

Do you perhaps think, maybe, just maybe, that the fact they have moved from their original home, thousands of miles, to a different country, might show a slight desire to integrate?

If all the truly wanted to do was sit around, do crime, violence and send recruits to ISIS they could have done that much more easily where they came from. The tickets would have been far less expensive, for one thing.

That has nothing to do with the differences between Somalian refugees and Lebanese refugees, though. I think the Syrian refugees will probably integrate well in Canada, based on the Syrian people I met in Canada well before this crisis even began, but we should still work to figure out why and how we hosed up so badly with the Somalian community, so we don't do it again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/europe-travel-alert.html

Apparently all of Europe is dangerous now. I'm so glad the State Department is here to advise us!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Stoke enough fear that airline tickets and hotel prices will go down, goddamnit!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

And just look at how Libya, Syria and Iraq have improved now that the Big Mean Dictators are gone! It's like a paradise, really :rolleyes:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm starting to think these attacks may have been preventable, if Belgian authorities weren't incompetent as gently caress.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lotka Volterra posted:

Honest question: Have you ever actually paid attention to what happens south of the US?

Even so, they still kill people for specific reasons, even if those reasons are trivial or "you saw something because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time." Even the worst drug cartels won't just kill people for the sole purpose of killing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Cartels absolutely kill people to send a message. But man this discussion has really poo poo the bed.

They don't kill random people just to send a message though. Their victims no more deserve their fate, of course, but they aren't just blowing up airports and metros and poo poo to kill and maim random people.

• Locked thread