Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
So Cruyff just died, one of the biggest legends.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35892775

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

RIp

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
RIP. Don't smoke, or quit smoking.

Also, here's The GIF: https://twitter.com/chris_dolan/status/712982406383407104

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

quote:

In February, Cruyff said he felt he was "2-0 up in a match" against lung cancer and he was "sure I will end up winning".

The most dangerous scoreline.

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012
Turning in his grave.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Real Name Grover posted:

RIP. Don't smoke, or quit smoking.

Also, here's The GIF: https://twitter.com/chris_dolan/status/712982406383407104

Sweet Mcgeady turn.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

hahahahahahaha, but really rips, just rips

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srx8rZc1jcs

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Shrapnig posted:

:dukedog:

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Thanks for this

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
was this the guy who was a fraud at barca or was he the guy who got found out before his turn to be a fraud?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Death is very sad.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Rest in peace, Johan.

Have some brilliant Cruyff quotes.

1. Technique is not being able to juggle a ball 1000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is passing the ball with one touch, with the right speed, at the right foot of your team mate.

2. Someone who has juggled the ball in the air during a game, after which four defenders of the opponent get the time to run back, that’s the player people think is great. I say he has to go to a circus.

3. Choose the best player for every position, and you’ll end up not with a strong XI, but with 11 strong 1’s.

4. In my teams, the goalie is the first attacker, and the striker the first defender.

5. Why couldn’t you beat a richer club? I’ve never seen a bag of money score a goal.

6. I always threw the ball in, because then if I got the ball back, I was the only player unmarked.

7. I’m ex-player, ex-technical director, ex-coach, ex-manager, ex-honorary president. A nice list that once again shows that everything comes to an end.

8. Players that aren’t true leaders but try to be, always bash other players after a mistake. True leaders on the pitch already assume others will make mistakes.

9. What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.

10. There’s only one moment in which you can arrive in time. If you’re not there, you’re either too early or too late.

11. Before I make a mistake, I don’t make that mistake.

12. When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average … So, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines wether you’re a good player or not.

13. After you’ve won something, you’re no longer 100 percent, but 90 percent. It’s like a bottle of carbonated water where the cap is removed for a short while. Afterwards there’s a little less gas inside.

14. There is only one ball, so you need to have it.

15. I’m not religious. In Spain all 22 players make the sign of the cross before they enter the pitch. If it works all matches must therefore end in a draw.

16. We must make sure their worst players get the ball the most. You’ll get it back in no time.

17. If you have the ball you must make the field as big as possible, and if you don’t have the ball you must make it as small as possible.

18. Every professional golfer has a separate coach for his drives, for approaches, for putting. In football we have one coach for 15 players. This is absurd.

19. Surviving the first round is never my aim. Ideally, I’d be in one group with Brazil, Argentina and Germany. Then I’d have lost two rivals after the first round. That’s how I think. Idealisitic.

20. Players today can only shoot with their laces. I could shoot with the inside, laces, and outside of both feet. In other words, I was six times better than today’s players.

21. Quality without results is pointless. Results without quality is boring.

22. There are very few players who know what to do when they’re not marked. So sometimes you tell a player: that attacker is very good, but don’t mark him.

23. I find it terrible when talents are rejected based on computer stats. Based on the criteria at Ajax now I would have been rejected. When I was 15, I couldn’t kick a ball 15 meters with my left and maybe 20 with my right. My qualities technique and vision, are not detectable by a computer.

24. Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.

25. If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.

analphabetic
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

In February, Cruyff said he felt he was "2-0 up in a match" against lung cancer and he was "sure I will end up winning".

He took a turn for the worse

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

sweek0 posted:

Rest in peace, Johan.

Have some brilliant Cruyff quotes.

1. Technique is not being able to juggle a ball 1000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is passing the ball with one touch, with the right speed, at the right foot of your team mate.

2. Someone who has juggled the ball in the air during a game, after which four defenders of the opponent get the time to run back, that’s the player people think is great. I say he has to go to a circus.

3. Choose the best player for every position, and you’ll end up not with a strong XI, but with 11 strong 1’s.

4. In my teams, the goalie is the first attacker, and the striker the first defender.

5. Why couldn’t you beat a richer club? I’ve never seen a bag of money score a goal.

6. I always threw the ball in, because then if I got the ball back, I was the only player unmarked.

7. I’m ex-player, ex-technical director, ex-coach, ex-manager, ex-honorary president. A nice list that once again shows that everything comes to an end.

8. Players that aren’t true leaders but try to be, always bash other players after a mistake. True leaders on the pitch already assume others will make mistakes.

9. What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.

10. There’s only one moment in which you can arrive in time. If you’re not there, you’re either too early or too late.

11. Before I make a mistake, I don’t make that mistake.

12. When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average … So, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines wether you’re a good player or not.

13. After you’ve won something, you’re no longer 100 percent, but 90 percent. It’s like a bottle of carbonated water where the cap is removed for a short while. Afterwards there’s a little less gas inside.

14. There is only one ball, so you need to have it.

15. I’m not religious. In Spain all 22 players make the sign of the cross before they enter the pitch. If it works all matches must therefore end in a draw.

16. We must make sure their worst players get the ball the most. You’ll get it back in no time.

17. If you have the ball you must make the field as big as possible, and if you don’t have the ball you must make it as small as possible.

18. Every professional golfer has a separate coach for his drives, for approaches, for putting. In football we have one coach for 15 players. This is absurd.

19. Surviving the first round is never my aim. Ideally, I’d be in one group with Brazil, Argentina and Germany. Then I’d have lost two rivals after the first round. That’s how I think. Idealisitic.

20. Players today can only shoot with their laces. I could shoot with the inside, laces, and outside of both feet. In other words, I was six times better than today’s players.

21. Quality without results is pointless. Results without quality is boring.

22. There are very few players who know what to do when they’re not marked. So sometimes you tell a player: that attacker is very good, but don’t mark him.

23. I find it terrible when talents are rejected based on computer stats. Based on the criteria at Ajax now I would have been rejected. When I was 15, I couldn’t kick a ball 15 meters with my left and maybe 20 with my right. My qualities technique and vision, are not detectable by a computer.

24. Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.

25. If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.

Proto-Brenda

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/LFC/status/712984996399681537

Jesus Christ liverpool are poo poo.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Goodbye Cruyff.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Scum club

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Here's a cool video of him Zlataning Pepe Reina's dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfvf91EHToo

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

RIP to a legend

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Rip you sweet prince Mr Johann

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Disgusting club.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
RIP a good guy

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
*In Tom voice* "Bet somebody at Facebook is busy coding a Johan Cruyff flag"

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

piss

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

lol

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Nothing wrong with making everything about yourself, it's why we're an alpha male club.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Manchester United have also sent out a touching tribute:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

HJB posted:

Lol

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

lmao what a small time poo poo club, anyways rip to the angry dutch guy

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Shrapnig posted:

lol

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

HJB posted:

jfc

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

POTM

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
The Guardian honours Johan Cruyff with a photo of Rob Rensenbrink.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Woodenlung posted:

Classic Guardian

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Woodenlung posted:

Tbf they look loving similar

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Shrapnig posted:

Can't believe you stole this joke from Breath Ray in the premier league thread and passing it off as your own. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

JFairfax posted:

Calssic Grauniad

• Locked thread