Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know it goes against common sense and you should never take your car to the dealer because it's expensive but I've used other mechanics and shops and the dance is always the same.

Here's the problem, here's the price, next day same problem reoccurs and you have to take it back and there's a new price. Sure every trip is technically cheaper than a trip to the dealer but you add them all up and your out 3K for the same repair you could have done at the dealer in one trip for 1K.

And yes I've shopped around, and yes I've done different mechanics and it's all the same because they aren't trained to work on your brand of car, they're trained to to work on cars in general and if the shop isn't keeping up to date on the new advancements, they're gonna have no idea.

You know who is trained on new improvements and advancements on my jeep? The Jeep dealers. I'm ok with paying a little extra up front and knowing that the job is done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
sorry for shaming you

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
my dealer isnt a mechanic but im sure hed cut me a sweet "deal" for my troubles all the same op

Aug 4, 2010

lol if you dont support your local economy by taking your car to a local mechanic

also gently caress you and your lovely rear end jeep OP

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Get rid of the loving jeep and buy something reliable, you won't have this problem anymore.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I took my PoS Jeep (which I've since traded in) to the dealer; because local shops said they didn't have the correct equipment to work on a newer one.

Dealer charged me $300 to clean the bottom because it was "dirty", $1200 to replace some sensor (which quit working about one day after they "fixed" it), and another few hundred to replace some gear. End result was nothing changed from before I brought it in.

Insurance/warranty covered it all but I'd have been pissed if that came out of pocket.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Volume posted:

I know it goes against common sense and you should never take your car to the dealer because it's expensive but I've used other mechanics and shops and the dance is always the same.

Here's the problem, here's the price, next day same problem reoccurs and you have to take it back and there's a new price. Sure every trip is technically cheaper than a trip to the dealer but you add them all up and your out 3K for the same repair you could have done at the dealer in one trip for 1K.

And yes I've shopped around, and yes I've done different mechanics and it's all the same because they aren't trained to work on your brand of car, they're trained to to work on cars in general and if the shop isn't keeping up to date on the new advancements, they're gonna have no idea.

You know who is trained on new improvements and advancements on my jeep? The Jeep dealers. I'm ok with paying a little extra up front and knowing that the job is done right.

Last summer my VW dealer charged me about £200 to diagnose a fault that they then wanted to charge me about £2000 to fix. I took it to a local mechanic for a second opinion and he told me they'd misdiagnosed it and fixed it for £150. He also pointed out all the stuff they'd missed on the last major service they carried out. I shouted at them until they gave me all my money back and that's the last time I took my car there.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with the op except get rid of the jeep. They are consistently money pits and are inefficient as hell to boot.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
bought a jeep. takes it to the dealer for repairs.

lol just lol

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

chippy posted:

Last summer my VW dealer charged me about £200 to diagnose a fault that they then wanted to charge me about £2000 to fix. I took it to a local mechanic for a second opinion and he told me they'd misdiagnosed it and fixed it for £150. He also pointed out all the stuff they'd missed on the last major service they carried out. I shouted at them until they gave me all my money back and that's the last time I took my car there.

This experience but reverse is why I don't use shops anymore. Only I actually had to hire a lawyer and take them to court to get my money back.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
why the gently caress do people buy jeeps

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I do not get my car fixed. My AC/heat fan only works at the highest setting. Sometimes I have to stick a pen into a little hole for my key to be released from the ignition slot. The backlight behind my dashboard doesn't light up. The protective cover for my left headlight is missing. Sometimes I can't unlock my door without wiggling the key around and in and out for like two minutes.

I've had all these problems for like 2 years and I'm doing just fine, thank you very much.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

wrangler has a cute little face

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Lol look at this schlub who can't go proofing off roading on the mean rough streets of suburbia

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I have all my car/truck work done by a shade tree mechanic who does work in exchange for cases of eggs or cases of Busch light. :shrug:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

OctoberBlues posted:

I do not get my car fixed. My AC/heat fan only works at the highest setting. Sometimes I have to stick a pen into a little hole for my key to be released from the ignition slot. The backlight behind my dashboard doesn't light up. The protective cover for my left headlight is missing. Sometimes I can't unlock my door without wiggling the key around and in and out for like two minutes.

I've had all these problems for like 2 years and I'm doing just fine, thank you very much.

I wanna play. I have no reversing lights because whenever I replace them the bulbs blow within a few weeks. My A/C compressor blew up years ago. Car occasionally needs jump starting for no apparent reason but the mechanic says that the battery doesn't seem like it needs replacing. The backlight on the display on the stereo always stays on even when everything else is switched on (I think this one is down to my fiancée spilling chocolate milk in the stereo).

Car has done like 260k though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I highly disagree that this is good advice OP, but its possible your dealer is competent so it may be ok for you to do. The issue is a lot of dealers are not competent. Car repair is not rocket science ("shop isn't keeping up to date on the new advancements" what exactly does this even mean?) and a lot of the best mechanics will not be "jeep mechanics" or whatever and are unlikely to work for a car dealer for the simple reason that no good car mechanic is going to make $12.13 an hour to do the same thing where they could make 4 times as much at a shop. There are a *few* general exceptions to this, such as the average Mercedes service shop is better than the average Ford service shop, but thats a different discussion.

Another complication to this is what exactly you are needing repaired. The truth of the matter is if you can replace an axle on a Chevy you can replace an axle on any car, for example. And in the worst case scenario if there is some model specific quirk to an otherwise mundane task ... the mechanic just looks it up. Everybody uses the same information on this, a dealer has no "edge" here. There are outliers here where you have literal muh' pop's shop with 1x 73 year old dude in the middle of nowhere that dont need no stinkin service manual but, barring that, everybody has access to every service manual for every normal car via common mechanic software (or even sometimes, the actual books!). And the chances that a mechanic has not seen whatever quirk before on your specific model is small.

So knowing that most tasks are routine regardless of brand, most cars work almost exactly the same way, its logical to assume that a standard "good" mechanic can do almost everything. And thats true.

Are there some scenarios where a dealer is truly preferable? Other than the obvious warranty work? Generally no... but sometimes complicated (ie, tedious) electrical issues need to go to a dealer (sometimes). And high risk stuff like engine rebuilds where they offer some kind of warranty afterwards might be an ok idea depending on the relative cost difference. Of course if the work is actually cheaper or the same cost as other shops then it can be better to go to a dealer - but this is a rare scenario as most of us know.

The overwhelming sad truth to service departments in dealers is that they dont necessarily pay a lot, they aren't as consistent as you'd think they should be, they charge more for the same or lower quality work, and ultimately they're in it to squeeze more money out of you. But there is the benefit of getting the warm fuzzy that you are less likely to be completely scammed. Is it worth the cost? Probably not, but that depends on where you live, the shops around you, and how far you're willing to go to find an honest one.

edit: and so we're clear, Firestone, NTB, and the like are not considered mechanics in this post

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
the dealer where i bought my Nissan Leaf still calls me to this day about missing oil changes

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you can't fix cars then don't buy a Jeep you retard masturbator.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Op if you have any children I'm gonna wait until they're 18 and then do sex on them

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Lolling at the babies who cannot master the awesomeness of wranglers.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Going to the dealer for certain things is a good idea. Going there and paying them $70 to hook it up to a "computer" to diagnose problems rather than going to autozone and doing it yourself for free: idiocy.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
my dealership keeps not charging me for oil changes despite never having any kind of deal brought to my attention. its dope, i also go first thing on saturdays before sales opens so i can not be bothered while i sit and play around in all the showroom cars then go through all the cabinets to fill my backpack with all the cool new car brochures, nice pens, and any other desirable swag

OP i was u id buy an extended warranty

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
took a PC i got on the cheap to Geeksquad they didnt charge me poo poo but made sure it was functional 10/10

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I love my goddamn jeep and also quadratec

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I just buy cheap as gently caress cars and run them into the ground and buy a new one.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I just buy cheap as gently caress cars and run them into the ground and buy a new one.

same but your mom

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

lol just dont break ur car, duh

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jackyl posted:

same but your mom

Hah you pay for that lol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ur not a man, op. it is certain

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Despite it being a lemon I miss my Jeep because it looked badass. Everyone and their dog has a Tacoma in the PNW.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
never replace the factory oil, aftermarket oil is poo poo

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
op let's talk about ur jeep problem I don't even post in the car forum but what was wrong with ur jeep

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
my 92 yj jeep owns but I use it in the woods instead of being a suburban mall crawler

also lol if you can't work on your own vehicles

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
This thread has to be fake, the oh-so casual way you just dropped "Jeep" in at the end lol.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Up until last year I drove a 1990 Toyota forerunner for about 12 years and barely ever had to take it in for repairs :xd:

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I will be your service writer. Pls posts anus pics for consideration.
Only imports 2002 + hth

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
You sound like you know automocars. When I turn on my car, it makes a horrible grinding noise in the front and if I use outside air for my heater/ac I smell exhaust. Boy oh boy makes my commute fun!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

My father always tells me I need to get my oil changed every 6 months or 3,000 miles and I laugh at him. He means well though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Edgar posted:

You sound like you know automocars. When I turn on my car, it makes a horrible grinding noise in the front and if I use outside air for my heater/ac I smell exhaust. Boy oh boy makes my commute fun!

obv some kind of leak + rattle in exhaust sys, go find a good muffler shop to put it on a lift and look at it. get an estimate and weigh that vs. having to deal and driving with a window cracked gl pal

• Locked thread