Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
She is done.

I tried out a few border designs and settled on this one as my favorite. Technically I do plan on doing a second coat on some touchups in the morning, but visually that shouldn't change anything.

And with that, my first ever wall painting job and the first wall of my house is finished. I learned quite a lot, I think.

Next up I will probably be tackling my son's room - that will be, in a way, both simpler and more conplicated. Then it will be back to do the other walls of my room with other patterns (and maybe other colors) that flow well into this one.

Its a small, simple thing, just painting a wall, but I've quite enjoyed the doing of it, and it was nice to tackle a household project that wasnt an emergency or functional failure, hah.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Niiiice work.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well, you sure as poo poo picked up taping like a pro in a hurry. Sweet!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Looks awesome man.

Now paint an 80s car in the middle of it like a Z31 or maybe a vector to make it :discourse:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Not a huge fan of orange myself but honestly that looks sick. Is there baseboard there that I just can't see? I'm curious what color you'll paint that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Sirotan posted:

Not a huge fan of orange myself but honestly that looks sick. Is there baseboard there that I just can't see? I'm curious what color you'll paint that.

oh no

I forgot baseboards were a thing

I thought I was done lol. I have no idea what to do with them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it were me I would probably leave them because I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. You have to commit to painting that vent and managing the transition to the floor, even if that is just painting some quarter round black and plopping it on.

The white fits, it doesn't stand out, you have white trim all around it. What I would do, because it drives me crazy, is replace that outlet with a black one.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GlyphGryph posted:

oh no

I forgot baseboards were a thing

I kind of like the orange on the baseboard over the yellow, if you're going to do a color other than continuing the black. I'd rattlecan the register in black either way. (Also swap that outlet out for a black one).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If I touch the electric stuff I will die though

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GlyphGryph posted:

If I touch the electric stuff I will die though

Fair enough. Do the landlord trick of just rolling over the outlet with a paint roller.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GlyphGryph posted:

I see a baseboard and I want it painted black.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My robot vacuum doesn't seem to have enough battery to clean my enough apartment (around 680 square feet?), I could try to replace the battery with maybe something with twice the capacity? Or get a second one and place it in a different part of the house? Thoughts? Anyone know if the batteries are standardized at all? I tried googling MAMNV vacuum battery replacement but not finding much info.

Are there any good auto-mopping robot cleaners? I basically didn't bother with the mopping part of mine as I wasn't convinced it would do a good job of it, but the vacuuming seems fine. The little dust container gets full after like 2 "cleans".

Mopping doesn't take too much out of my day but it could be nice for a "shallow" clean and then I mop with a deep clean?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

slidebite posted:

Sorry bro, but you probably have the major culprits already identified.

Powerwash well, let dry and use a wagner sprayer. I'll never use a brush on a fence again if I can help it.

Ive purchased the cleaner, the stain, and a sprayer. Now just waiting on a deal for a power washer. All in with tools I should be under $650 for this project which I dont think is to bad.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Home Depot usually has them on sale on the spring

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I was walking my roof today to make sure the shingles in my back yard were from the neighbor and noticed a gap. How serious is this:

Lighting sucks but that but that looks like a shadow is a gap big enough for me to stick my finger in. The shingles up and down slope are how it should be.

No water ingress and the simple test of up ending a bottle of water on the roof seems to point to it not being an issue. I guess if we had a bad storm with wind driven rain from that direction?

Mostly wondering if this is a big shirt and whatever or if I need to look at sealing it and if so how?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I see a baseboard and I want it painted black.
:discourse:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was walking my roof today to make sure the shingles in my back yard were from the neighbor and noticed a gap. How serious is this:

Lighting sucks but that but that looks like a shadow is a gap big enough for me to stick my finger in. The shingles up and down slope are how it should be.

No water ingress and the simple test of up ending a bottle of water on the roof seems to point to it not being an issue. I guess if we had a bad storm with wind driven rain from that direction?

Mostly wondering if this is a big shirt and whatever or if I need to look at sealing it and if so how?

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure it's fine. Properly-installed shingles have two layers of overlap and then a layer of tar paper underneath all of that. In your case, one of those layers is slightly easier to defeat if there's very strong wind blowing in a specific direction, but the water still has to fight gravity to go a good 6-8 inches up slope to get past the second layer, and then it'll hit the tar paper. That's not a route that's going to permit serious water ingress.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My robot vacuum doesn't seem to have enough battery to clean my enough apartment (around 680 square feet?), I could try to replace the battery with maybe something with twice the capacity? Or get a second one and place it in a different part of the house? Thoughts? Anyone know if the batteries are standardized at all? I tried googling MAMNV vacuum battery replacement but not finding much info.

Are there any good auto-mopping robot cleaners? I basically didn't bother with the mopping part of mine as I wasn't convinced it would do a good job of it, but the vacuuming seems fine. The little dust container gets full after like 2 "cleans".

Mopping doesn't take too much out of my day but it could be nice for a "shallow" clean and then I mop with a deep clean?

You kinda get what you get when you buy keysmash brand electronics from a dropshipper on Amazon. Robot vacs are still firmly in the "buy brand name or don't buy at all" category. For the amount of time and money you'd spend troubleshooting that knockoff you could get a Roborock Q8 Max+ next time it pops up on sale and have something with manufacturer support and a battery that is capable of cleaning at least 1000 sq ft.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

Now to get the drat patio contractor to respond and get back to work now that it’s warming up…

New patio just dropped, adding at least 40sqft of space to what was there before. Getting close to being done except for landscaping which can wait. Main things left are the gas line for the grill and installing the door into the house for the screened in area. Excited to see this finally coming together.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 17, 2024

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Looks great

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Hello goons!

So I have a concrete porch that sticks out of the front of my house. It's holding up it's own section of roof with wrought iron supports that are pretty rusted to poo poo in a lot of spots. Also, the concrete is cracking and separating in a section that starts from the corner and is making it's way around the front.

my questions is, what kind of person can/should I get to try to fix this? General contractor? Concrete person? Iron person? All of them glued together?

I have this nagging fear in the back of my mind that the whole front of the house is gonna fall down and I'm gonna have to move out because they're going to condemn it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Does anyone here have a dyson stick vacuum?

We were gifted one a couple years ago and I was skeptical of how much I'd use it, but god drat, we used it all the time. Much more convenient then pulling out the big central vac power unit. We used it so much the power head died on it.

The one I need (for an outsize V10 iirc) has been out of stock for over a year now, no joke. I thought it was covid shortages but it never comes back. According to the Dyson chat people it's not discontinued, just oos. I look every few weeks and nothing ever shows in stock or available.
https://www.dyson.com/support/journey/spare-details.970426-01

I was thinking that I suspect the other ones available would probably fit as the adapters to the pipe/unit itself *look* identical. I just want something larger than the mini power head which I've been using lately. Anyone have a unit that they use on low cut/tight carpet that they can recommend?

I was thinking of one of the multiple no-name chinese knock offs on Amazon but the reviews all seem to be bad or suspect.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I have a glass walled shower, no tub, and the shower is leaking dribbles with the handle turned to off. I already had the cartridge replaced over a year ago since the handle movement was getting kind of crusty. It moves fine now, but off is not meaning off.

Does this mean the cartridge is bad again, or maybe I could take it out and clean it, and that would fix it? The plumber I talked with on the phone said I was SOL for warranty labor, he suggested removing and cleaning it out, but I am thinking it will need to be replaced. He said it would be ~$200 labor if that needs to happen.

I know it's not a bad job to do myself, avoiding it if I can.

VVVV I assume they did yes..... but I'm not sure. Some YouTube is in my future and will post pics if I need to. It's about 1 drip every couple seconds, 24 hours a day. Thankfully I'm in a condo complex and units are not individually billed for water? :-/

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 18, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Did they replace the seals when they did the cartridge replacement? My tub and a slow drip because my seals in the back were poo poo, cartridge replacement didn't solve.

Most likely it's your cartridge or seals.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

In my experience cartridges seem to last between 5-10 years. You could have got some debris in it which compromised the o-rings. I'd replace it and just make sure its super clean before re-assembly.

I've had good luck with phoning the manufacturer directly and they've offered to send replacement ones right to my door, no charge, if you're going to tackle it yourself.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This drain/pipe thingy the washer drains into has an unholy sewage type smell coming from it. Can I just pour bleach down it or does it need a plumber to come clean it out or something? How do I fix this?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

This drain/pipe thingy the washer drains into has an unholy sewage type smell coming from it. Can I just pour bleach down it or does it need a plumber to come clean it out or something? How do I fix this?

Has it always been like this? It might be that there's no P-trap, which would require a plumber to install one. A P-trap is a U-shaped section of pipe that constantly keeps some water at the bottom of the U, which prevents sewer gases from flowing into the home.

It might also be that there is a P-trap, but it's sprung a leak. That would allow the water to drain out, allowing sewer gases in.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

D-Pad posted:

In addition to the mention of a ptrap above, it's possibly also worth checking if your drain pipe is wide enough there to keep up with the insane drainage flow rate of modern washing machines.

I discovered that problem last year; installing an air admittance valve allowed air to enter behind the tail of the slug of water drained from the washing machine, preventing a greedy siphon effect from sucking the ptrap dry. It looks like older standard practice was to install a 1 1/2" inch drain pipe for laundry, but newer codes call for 2" to address the increased flow rate of new machines. A good plumber will know what's up here.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 18, 2024

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Has it always been like this? It might be that there's no P-trap, which would require a plumber to install one. A P-trap is a U-shaped section of pipe that constantly keeps some water at the bottom of the U, which prevents sewer gases from flowing into the home.

It might also be that there is a P-trap, but it's sprung a leak. That would allow the water to drain out, allowing sewer gases in.

We've only been in the house a few weeks and it's not constant but frequent, seems to die down when we have been running the washer. Anyway it sounds like it's gonna need a plumber and is not a "pour bleach down the drain" situation so I'll get somebody out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So how much of a pain in the rear end is repointing a chimney, and how grave is the potential for loving up?

Mine needs work, and I'm trying to figure out if this is the kind of thing you hire out because you really, really don't want to gently caress up, or if it's really as easy as chiseling out some old mortar and putting some new in there?

edit to add: the chimney isn't in use. Theoretically we could have a chimney guy out to get it squared away, but I don't want to bother. So at this point it's basically decoration. I just need it to not fall apart.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 19, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would try it in an inconspicuous area first, and see how it goes.

You will probably smear mortar onto the face of the bricks.

If/when that happens: wait about a half-hour, get a bucket of water and a wire brush, and scrub the brickfaces clean.

I wound up re-pointing some of my older work by hand, wearing rubber gloves - to get the control I needed to bevel the joints. This is the hack way; you should use a grout spoon.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 19, 2024

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Depending on where you live and the age of the brick work, you may also need to use different mortar. https://www.thisoldhouse.com/masonry/21015302/repointing-brick

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

hark posted:

Hello goons!

So I have a concrete porch that sticks out of the front of my house. It's holding up it's own section of roof with wrought iron supports that are pretty rusted to poo poo in a lot of spots. Also, the concrete is cracking and separating in a section that starts from the corner and is making it's way around the front.

my questions is, what kind of person can/should I get to try to fix this? General contractor? Concrete person? Iron person? All of them glued together?

I have this nagging fear in the back of my mind that the whole front of the house is gonna fall down and I'm gonna have to move out because they're going to condemn it.

unrelated, this looks almost identical to the house i grew up in and it is loving my brain *up*

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Deviant posted:

unrelated, this looks almost identical to the house i grew up in and it is loving my brain *up*

Come home. We've missed you.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

slidebite posted:

Does anyone here have a dyson stick vacuum?

We were gifted one a couple years ago and I was skeptical of how much I'd use it, but god drat, we used it all the time. Much more convenient then pulling out the big central vac power unit. We used it so much the power head died on it.

The one I need (for an outsize V10 iirc) has been out of stock for over a year now, no joke. I thought it was covid shortages but it never comes back. According to the Dyson chat people it's not discontinued, just oos. I look every few weeks and nothing ever shows in stock or available.
https://www.dyson.com/support/journey/spare-details.970426-01

I was thinking that I suspect the other ones available would probably fit as the adapters to the pipe/unit itself *look* identical. I just want something larger than the mini power head which I've been using lately. Anyone have a unit that they use on low cut/tight carpet that they can recommend?

I was thinking of one of the multiple no-name chinese knock offs on Amazon but the reviews all seem to be bad or suspect.

that head does rule. I’ve been looking for the laser fluffy one for my v10 for awhile for my saltillo tile but it’s stuck in limbo like that one. might check eBay. they’ve got a pretty good return policy but yeah good luck tracking them down

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Every toilet in my house was grouted to the floor and all were leaking but I couldn't tell because, again, they were grouted to the floor.
The only sign was a stain in the ceiling

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

hark posted:

Come home. We've missed you.

:stare:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

HootTheOwl posted:

Every toilet in my house was grouted to the floor and all were leaking but I couldn't tell because, again, they were grouted to the floor.
The only sign was a stain in the ceiling

To be fair: the vast majority of closet-flange leaks (from the wax ring) do not show in the bathroom, around the toilet, but on the ceiling/wall of the room(s) below. So even if they hadn't grouted, there may not have been anything to see.

Some installers caulk around the front. So long as they leave the back open, it should be enough air exchange.

Full Disclosure: I do not put anything around that seam.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PainterofCrap posted:

To be fair: the vast majority of closet-flange leaks (from the wax ring) do not show in the bathroom, around the toilet, but on the ceiling/wall of the room(s) below. So even if they hadn't grouted, there may not have been anything to see.

Some installers caulk around the front. So long as they leave the back open, it should be enough air exchange.

Full Disclosure: I do not put anything around that seam.
They also did not secure the outlet pipe to anything, it was all floating.
Everyone I've had out took one look and said "you don't do that" everyone, except, my inspector when I bought the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also the subfloors are too thin and they're not sitting on joists they were only ran to the wall, ahhhhhhhh