Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm looking forward to tomorrow's reactions to the first ninety seconds of Bake. drat shame so many people will be dead during the first week of this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'll try to make up for the lack of posts, but I won't be liveposting!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Srice posted:

I'll try to make up for the lack of posts, but I won't be liveposting!

:same:

I work late Monday Thursday, so I won't ever be able to livepost about Bakemonogatari.

I'll do Patlabor, but I'm gonna miss the first night because of an Anime Convention in town.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Is there some sort of IRC or chat you guys use, or is it all liveposting?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

We just post... like this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736160

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I do suppose that a livechat with/without a video stream would be nice to have.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I do suppose that a livechat with/without a video stream would be nice to have. Now will Patlabor be airing at the exact same time as Monogatari, so that we would have to choose between one and the other? Should there be separate chats in that case?

the schedule is in the third post. we watch gatari on monday and wednesday, and patlabor on friday. a stream or livechat would be nice if somebody wants to set that up, though the former probably isn't super kosher.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's reactions to the first ninety seconds of Bake. drat shame so many people will be dead during the first week of this though.

I have the perfect post ready for when we begin in 6 hours and 35 minutes

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you want to make a chatroom, then discord or irc are good options, however it is better to post reactions, in 4 hours and 35 mins, in this thread

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

An hour and ten minutes to go. Do we have a chatroom?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I feel like a chatroom would defeat the purpose of having a simulwatch with livewatching, which is for people to livepost the livewatching in the simul thread.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some things are fun to watch in a group like that, but I posit that -monogatari is not one what with how much attention it demands.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just react, itt

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Srice posted:

Some things are fun to watch in a group like that, but I posit that -monogatari is not one what with how much attention it demands.

Is it background stuff that can slip past the radar, or more of a Tatami Episode 1 kind of thing?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jostiband posted:

Is it background stuff that can slip past the radar, or more of a Tatami Episode 1 kind of thing?

Both, since the dialogue can be fast at times and also in true Shaft fashion there's stuff that will be on screen for all of a second.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you often get like 4 lines of text that appear for 2 seconds, get your pause button ready if you're not a fast reader

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

...I think I'd better make some more coffee before this kicks off :shepface:

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Davincie posted:

you often get like 4 lines of text that appear for 2 seconds, get your pause button ready if you're not a fast reader

I'm guessing some of the text is significant later on?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its not that important, its often more background information or what characters are thinking so if you're not up for it, it can be skipped. it does however obviously add to the full experience

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I've watched all of -gatari and I don't think I've ever paused for that text outside of like when I first saw the pilot. I just try to read it before it goes away which works like half the time.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Admoon posted:

I've watched all of -gatari and I don't think I've ever paused for that text outside of like when I first saw the pilot. I just try to read it before it goes away which works like half the time.

:same:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I've never bothered to pause it, though it's interesting if you feel inclined to. Basically, don't worry about it too much if you're coming into it fresh.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm gonna watch this on the big tv

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm pretty sure the small text is just narration from the books

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Namtab posted:

I'm pretty sure the small text is just narration from the books

yeah there's a segment from the novels in episode 1, at least. other times it's just dialogue

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Allarion posted:

I've never bothered to pause it, though it's interesting if you feel inclined to. Basically, don't worry about it too much if you're coming into it fresh.

Yeah it's not important in the grand scheme of things, just something you let wash all over you.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I've always felt the intention is to absorb bits and pieces of it. Just watching normally you'll catch sentence fragments and bits of thoughts and it ends up working pretty well imo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Unwrapping the dvds!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

We're about 30 mins out, right? I haven't forgotten how time zones work?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

We're about 30 mins out, right? I haven't forgotten how time zones work?

21 and a few seconds as of this post.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

I'm gonna watch this on the big tv

This is the culmination of my life choices. Everything over the last 27 years has been for this.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Namtab posted:

This is the culmination of my life choices. Everything over the last 27 years has been for this.

That doesn't look like Kon... :confused:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jostiband posted:

That doesn't look like Kon... :confused:

The k-on simul is next year

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Unfortunately I won't be able to join the livewatch as circumstances have changed since we decided to make this simul. Instead i chose to watch the episodes in advance and will post my thoughts tomorrow afternoon (my time).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

10 minutes remaining

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I am currently ready to take part in this simulwatch.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Less than 5 minutes remaining

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I wouldn't bother pausing for all the text-cards, because the series will take twice as long if you try to read all of that stuff and at that point you might as well just read the source material that it's quoting.

I've turned off the lights and opened a beer. Lets watch this absurd show.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Still at work, but have fun. I'm expecting some nice reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Having recently watched the first 8 episodes, I shall nonetheless enjoy this thread immensely even before the rest have caught up.

• Locked thread