Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
As I have not seen any of either I will refrain from voting until I know what I am voting for.

I tend to like jets and ships more than mechs though, but we'll see.

We shall see....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Oh! It's for which you will be watching. Both then. I thought it was a favorite/most hype poll like usual.

I have not seen either show, so whichever show is best will determine who my favorite anime friend is! May the best anime poster win!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Namtab posted:

A new contender, has entered the simul
Whoa we're going to watch Sailor Moon too?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

HOLY poo poo THE STAPLING

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I haven't actually read any posts here yet. But 12 minutes in and this already isn't the harem thing I was expecting so far based on the Nise things I heard about.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

That's a lot of school supplies.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Kani/kami. Crab and god are connected. Nice.

Also there's something seriously wrong with this girl other than getting her weight stolen.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

She is also not very good at wearing clothes just like she says.

I have no idea what is happening here.

Is this some kind of 11th dimensional mind chess game to break Araragi? :iiam:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

She's definitely lacking the dere part of tsundere too.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Well. That certainly explains it.

Leading off with rape seems like a questionable choice. But at least it wasn't one of those completely tasteless at best portrayals or a plot device for a different character, and the episode basically ends with her coming to terms with events in some way instead of basically being traumatized by it forever with a supernatural twist. I guess that remains to be seen how she plays out from here though. But she didn't smile until the end and that has to mean something right?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Grouchio posted:

May Senjougahara never suffer again.
I think the whole point was that now she can actually suffer like a normal human being instead of being cold and emotionless. At least that's how it seemed to me.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I am definitely looking forward to the next arc. If we weren't doing this thing I'd probably be staying up way too late tonight.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I got home just in time.

Also are we finally getting to know oversized backpack girl? This mystery that has haunted the last few years of my life will finally be resolved.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Namtab posted:

Araragi is a teen lad

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

To be honest these conversations are too weird for anyone to really be conventionally likeable yet.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If Araragi were more honest with himself he wouldn't get played by Senjogahara so hard.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Araragi is a chump, and I am glad he realizes this.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Namtab posted:

I'm going to say this once itt. Remember EVERY conversation
I am memorizing the script as I type.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Hmmm...Araragi's backstory flashing in the background is it?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

A very lewd address

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Whoa, my head is tilting.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

That's some teeth

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

So many random lensing effects.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

She's a mind reader

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Meme talk

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Command Ant posted:

That Tetris sequence was brief yet infuriating.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Kendo would be a lot better with hugs imo

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

That fang isn't just for show!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Araragi that's gross

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

WHAT THE HELL

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I probably should have seen that coming though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Senjougahara knows what she wants

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I kinda get the feeling something is being built up to at the moment.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

It seems like there's a layer I'm missing since I don't understand Japanese. Oshino spends awhile talking about Mayoi's name, and makes me think I should have picked up something from that earlier. Araragi read her name before he approached her, is there some signifigance there?
As I understand it from what was being said, it's basically a written pun since the kanji are close for cow and snail or something, and then another step involving numbers to get Hachikuji. I'd have to go back and listen again to be sure. Basically, she's named herself after the kind of oddity she is in an indirect way.

Kind of like how Kami is god and Kani is crab. The not quite homophones from the first arc on Monday. Crab God. Kani Kami.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Kylra posted:

As I understand it from what was being said, it's basically a written pun since the kanji are close for cow and snail or something, and then another step involving numbers to get Hachikuji. I'd have to go back and listen again to be sure. Basically, she's named herself after the kind of oddity she is in an indirect way.

Kind of like how Kami is god and Kani is crab. The not quite homophones from the first arc on Monday. Crab God. Kani Kami.
Also, it's worth noting that this and the big name explanation and subsequent reveal over the phone was supposedly foreshadowed by Senjougahara commenting on Hachikuji's name earlier on.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

At least, I'm pretty sure she did. Or maybe it was Hanekawa.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Is there going to be this much word play in future eps? I'm not exactly fluent or even conversational but it would be nice to know if I could possibly get more out of it by at least trying to pay closer attention.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Ok, I went back, and apparently the deal with Hachikuji's name is something like the kanji it is written with can also be read as "misfortune". Apparently there was a pilgramage of some sort called "Hachikuji" that people stopped doing because of this, so Hachikuji is named after an unfortunate journey that no one wants to go on. More or less. Assuming I got it right this time.

The numbers thing was just me thinking that one of the flashes where I saw the hiragana for "chi" written on her backpack and thinking that it was a 5 because I didn't see it too long, and she has 8 (hachi) and 9 (ku) in her name. And I couldn't remember what 5 was supposed to be. So I thought the other two symbols might have been for 8 and 9 and there may have been some weird numerology involved. But no, I guess she's just 89ji.

...for now. I don't think it's been reiterated whether this is a coincidence that someone with the name Hachikuji just happened to get in this situation or if she made that her name after. I wouldn't be shocked if this comes up a couple more times though!

Kylra fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 7, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Blhue posted:

Among the things the author has a colossal boner for are kanji puns
Something I am, by coincidence, interested in learning more about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Grouchio posted:

And now I have dozens more fellow fans of this show.

Also has nobody mentioned that the best girl confessed within 5 episodes, absolutely contrary to most other shows airing these days?

The scene bloody cured my depression twice.
I said she knows what she wants.

It was refreshing even if the dialogue is still intentionally odd.

• Locked thread