Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Well after a forum break from simulwatches we're back with a special double feature experimental simulwatch. The idea behind this is to get fans of one genre to try something highly regarded in a different genre and for us all to broaden our horizons and have fun watching two different shows.

To that end, in this simulwatch I will be showing off season 1 of the monogatari series: Bakemonogatari, while my friend Droyer will be showing off his all time favourite anime: Patlabor. I hope that you'll try both!

Droyer's gonna tell you all about patlabor in the next post, and then the rules/schedule will be in the third post. In the meantime let's talk about bakemonogatari.

Bakemonogatari

Bakemonogatari is based on the first two books of the monogatari series written by nisioisin (katanagatari, medaka's box) - a writer so prolific that he wrote a katanagatari book once a month every month for the entirety of 2007 just to prove that he could. There are currently 20 books in the monogatari series with a further two scheduled for release later this year. In terms of classification this series is tricky to classify in a particular genre as it mixes contemporary fantasy, comedy and drama to create something fairly unique.

The monogatari series as a whole focuses on koyomi araragi (not pictured), a third year high schooler who is slightly a vampire after an incident which occurred over spring break (this is detailed in the third book kizumonogatari which is currently being released as three films). Throughout the series araragi supports various girls who have encountered aberrations (oddities) - supernatural creatures which generally have some relation to a personal problem the girls are experiencing. Whilst the series does have action elements, due to the nature of the aberrations this is primarily a series about talking; Nisioisin's penchant for snappy dialogue and wordplay combined with animation by SHAFT studios and the director, Akiyuki Shinbo's usual quirks and trademarks produces an anime unlike any other.

The original TV release of Bakemonogatari was beset with unspecified difficulties (likely budgetary), as a result the original broadcast had numerous animation cuts, with the dialogue being read over placeholder frames. Additionally the final three episodes were unable to be broadcast over TV and were instead released as web broadcasts. SHAFT did its usual thing of improving things for the DVD/Blu-ray release, with the difference between the two so profound that it's definitely the recommended release for this simulwatch.

Availability

Bakemonogatari is available for streaming over crunchyroll in some regions (note that this is the TV release, with worse animation and no access to the final three episodes)

Bakemonogatari is also widely available on DVD/Blu-ray, with improved animation, the final three episodes, character commentary. This is definitely the recommended way to watch this portion of the simulwatch.

CLARIFICATION

After chatting to the mod to clarify our positions - there will be no point where we simulwatch nisemonogatari - either as part of a joint thread or an individual thread. At the relevant time I will write a full summary of both arcs.

Nisemonogatari is the worst of monogatari and contains a creep factor exceeding any other part of monogatari even when you exclude the bathtub and toothbrush

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Schedule

This simulwatch will last four weeks in this experimental stage. For the first three weeks we will be watching an arc of bakemonogatari on Mondays and Wednesdays, and patlabor OVAs on Fridays. For the final week we will be watching a Patlabor movie on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The schedule therefore is:

Week 1:

04/04: Bakemonogatari 1, 2 (Hitagi Crab arc)
06/04: Bakemonogatari 3, 4, 5 (Mayoi Snail arc)
08/04: Patlabor OVAs 1, 2

Week 2:

11/04: Bakemonogatari 6, 7, 8 (Suruga Monkey arc)
13/04: Bakemonogatari 9, 10 (Nadeko Snake arc)
15/04: Patlabor OVAs 3, 4

Week 3:

18/04: Bakemonogatari 11, 12 (Tsubasa Cat arc part 1)
20/04: Bakemonogatari 13, 14, 15 (Tsubasa Cat arc part 2 – THESE ARE THE WEB EPISODES AND NOT ON CRUNCHYROLL)
22/04: Patlabor OVAs 5, 6, 7

Week 4:

25/04: Patlabor Movie 1
27/04: Patlabor Movie 2
29/04: Patlabor Movie 3
30/04: Minipato - presumably the small pato?

Livewatching will take place at Midnight BST (7PM EST). This is the time you are allowed to begin posting without spoilers about the events of specific episodes. Can't make the livewatch time? Don't worry, watch before the livewatch and post your thoughts after the time, or watch after the livewatch and post your thoughts.

Thread Rules

Bakemonogatari spoilers: To make this thread accessible to people who have not seen monogatari before the policy is that anything we have not watched in this thread has not happened and should be spoiler tagged. This includes events of further arcs in this thread and events/new characters in future seasons of monogatari. This includes wink wink, nudge nudge posting of any kind.

Patlabor spoilers: Patlabor is mostly episodic so it’s a bit less of a deal than monogatari. That said, please spoiler tag specific events in any episodes we have not seen, including the TV continuity.

Creepy posting: The “don’t be a creep” rule applies in this thread slightly more than any other. Nobody is expecting old ADTRW levels of loud and vocal puritanism, however things that would normally be acceptable in the chat thread won’t fly here. I’m not going to specify what I mean by creepy to avoid rules lawyering, however as a rough guide a bit of friendly banter about the best girl is ok whereas a discussion about Hanekawa’s breasts is not. If you have to ask, it’s probably not OK. The mod has assured me that there will be consequences for being a creep.

Complaining about things being creepy: Bakemonogatari has some fanservicey parts and you are well within your rights to complain about them. However nothing brings down a thread more than that one guy who keeps on complaining about something, causing endless derails. If you find something creepy, you get to post about it once so make it a good post. If it turns into a discussion you can reply, but if the mod, Droyer or I say that the discussion is over then it should end straight away, without parting shots. Once the discussion has ended, don’t be the one to restart it. The mod has agreed to this rule – there will be punishments for breaking it.

Posting “I’m not interested in Patlabor/Bakemonogatari and won’t be participating in the thread because something I don’t like is here”: Don’t do it. Nobody cares, you look like a crybaby who can’t handle people liking things you don’t. Watch both things to broaden your horizons, watch just the thing you like, or don’t post.

Posting “There’s too many posts about the show I’m not interested in”: Be the change you want to see.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 30, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Reserved for thread content that I like

Namtab fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 9, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's me, I'm the first Patlabor vote.

I'll be watching Patlabor but probably not Bakemonogatari because of time constraints. I'm also not sure I can livewatch at all since 1am BST is very late.

uh, it's midnight in the UK, that it airs

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

You forgot DST, Namtab! Midnight GMT is 1am BST.

Whatever, midnight in the UK, I changed the post

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thank you, in training, for demonstrating why the fourth rule is a thing that should exist in this thread.

Let me reassure you that this thread will be focusing on Bakemonogatari and not Nisemonogatari. In the future simulwatch where nisemonogatari is viewed, I will be alerting people to the two bad episodes in advance, and providing a synopsis on the night for those who do not wish to actually watch them, but will be watching the rest of the arcs in which they occur.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't need to livewatch to simulwatch, yeah?

Never done a simu before.

No, just watch the episodes sometime after the airing time, and post your reaction to them.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

Of course not. But don't complain about being spoiled if you read the thread before you've watched the scheduled episode if you're watching it later, and wait to post until the livestream time if you're watching it earlier.

Added to post 3

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

After chatting to the mod to clarify our positions - there will be no point where we simulwatch nisemonogatari - either as part of a joint thread or an individual thread. At the relevant time I will write a full summary of both arcs.

Nisemonogatari is the worst of monogatari and contains a creep factor exceeding any other part of monogatari even when you exclude the bathtub and toothbrush.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also we'd start with nekomonogatari (black), not second season

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm surprised at the poll results.

I'm happy that the majority of people are gonna try both, but concerned that a good third of posters are only interested in patlabor

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

mods please make the poll into a namtab vs droyer popularity poll

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A new contender, has entered the simul

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Minipato - the mini patlabor, a tragic epic in 10 parts

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

Download my rear end

No PC has that much storage

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mercrom posted:

Bakemonogatari seems like a show for people who think Tarantino movies are well regarded because of their depth. Also, you know

Maybe watch the show, rather than remaining uninformed

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's reactions to the first ninety seconds of Bake. drat shame so many people will be dead during the first week of this though.

I have the perfect post ready for when we begin in 6 hours and 35 minutes

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you want to make a chatroom, then discord or irc are good options, however it is better to post reactions, in 4 hours and 35 mins, in this thread

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just react, itt

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm gonna watch this on the big tv

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm pretty sure the small text is just narration from the books

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Unwrapping the dvds!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

I'm gonna watch this on the big tv

This is the culmination of my life choices. Everything over the last 27 years has been for this.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jostiband posted:

That doesn't look like Kon... :confused:

The k-on simul is next year

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

10 minutes remaining

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Less than 5 minutes remaining

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Press play now!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Btw this first bit is all kizumonogatari

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Predecessor show?

Third book, only now being released as movies. First thing chronologically

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The op

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That was fine, the story of bake does begin when he caught the girl.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

For a show with so many conversations, you'll see a lot of good cuts to keep you visually interested

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

...What is happening

I'm loving these reactions

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

...This is the same guy who wrote Katanagatari, right?

He must have been on waaaaaaaaay stronger poo poo when he wrote this one.

This is his seminal series

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

And that's episode 1

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

...I am so confused right now

Pretty sure I'm supposed to be, mind, but still. Why does Hitagi care so much about getting her weight back, anyway? Seems like she got off pretty easy as curses go.

Also, are we going straight into 2 here or waiting for the half-hour?
Go straight into 2.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The answer to your questions await.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Suddenly, NIPPLE

That was her bellybutton.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This anim is from 2009, the book is from 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Motto posted:

I watched early because I knew I wouldn't make the start, about where are you guys in ep2?

If you aren't live watching you're best off posting at the turn of the hour.

• Locked thread