Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

While my friend Namtab is responsible for the Bakemonogatari half of this simulwatch, I will be in charge of the Patlabor half. Patlabor is my favorite anime and very near and dear to my heart, and I hope everyone enjoys it! Of course, I also encourage you to join the Bakemonogatari side of the simulwatch as well.

Patlabor

Patlabor is a mecha anime directed by Mamoru Oshii of Ghost in the Shell fame. Contrary to Oshii’s reputation for slow, philosophical thrillers, Patlabor is a comedic and lighthearted show with a fun cast of characters and often silly tone, although the second and third movie are more similar to Oshii's other works.

Patlabor chronicles the (mis)adventures of the Tokyo Police Special Vehicles Unit 2 Section 2 and their attempts to stop giant robot crime, whether it be a drunken argument that got out of hand or an international terrorist plot. Much like Bakemonogatari, while there certainly is action what really makes Patlabor stand out is its characters and writing.

Patlabor is divided into two separate continuities, and for this simulwatch we are only concerned with the first one, which consists of the OVA that started the franchise (sometimes referred to as The Early Days) and the three feature-length movies: Patlabor The Movie, Patlabor 2: The Movie and WXIII: Patlabor The Movie 3.

Availability

If you’re in America Hulu has the OVA and the first movie, and Animecentral has all of it. If you (like me) are not American however you will have to track down DVDs/Blurays.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't need to livewatch to simulwatch, yeah?

Never done a simu before.

Of course not. But don't complain about being spoiled if you read the thread before you've watched the scheduled episode if you're watching it later, and wait to post until the livestream time if you're watching it earlier.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

I'm happy that the majority of people are gonna try both, but concerned that a good third of posters are only interested in patlabor

Same. Unless you are somehow unable to watch both, I urge everyone to try both shows, even if you don't think they'll be your thing. You might find the other one surprsingly enjoyable! And even if you don't, you can just drop it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There's been a small change to the schedule: On 30th of April we will be watching MiniPato as the last part of this simul. MiniPato is a series of 3 ten-minute comedy sketches about the Patlabor series. MiniPato has never been released outside of Japan so when the time comes I'll provide a download link for it.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 31, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mercrom posted:

Bakemonogatari seems like a show for people who think Tarantino movies are well regarded because of their depth. Also, you know

I was going to watch Patlabor 2 because I heard it was good. Is the rest comparable or just action comedy hijinks?

Most of Patlabor isn't as serious as the second movie but it's still very well written.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Protodude posted:

Actually it was included on a separate disc for the old special edition of WXIII, and the recent rerelease by Maiden Japan has it as an extra.

Ah, I didn't know that, will fix.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, please keep the gifs in check until we actually reach the episode they're from

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Condiv posted:

i don't think the simulwatch covers patlabor tv episodes

Namtab posted:

Patlabor spoilers: Patlabor is mostly episodic so it’s a bit less of a deal than monogatari. That said, please spoiler tag specific events in any episodes we have not seen, including the TV continuity.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Unfortunately I won't be able to join the livewatch as circumstances have changed since we decided to make this simul. Instead i chose to watch the episodes in advance and will post my thoughts tomorrow afternoon (my time).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry for being a bit late, some stuff came up.

Although I've never seen this show proper, I have gotten a general impression of it from conversations about it pls watching a few clips on youtube and I have to say the first 2 episodes greatly exceeded my expectations. This show looks and sounds incredibly stylish and the fast witty dry dialogue was both funny and served as an excellent contrast to the emotional moment at the end of episode 2.

Tuiri posted:

I had no idea what to expect of the show, but this is certainly more intriguing then I thought it would be going in. Looking forward to watching the next two episodes.

We're watching 3 episodes tomorrow.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I found a cool thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHe6zDetfeY

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't intend to livepost. When I watch something I want to give it my undivided attention and I don't want to constantly pause the video to make posts.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's time

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I gotta admit I prefer the first opening to this one. I'm not a huge fan of "hyper" music in general.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I really like the cold opens in this show. the text that flashes by quicker and quicker combined with the very loud sound effect causes a kind of sensory overload effect that's super neat.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It begins

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wait.

Hanekawa saw her. She spoke directly to her, didn't she?

Indeed she did.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arararararararararararararararagi.

Oops I stuttered.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I really liked the twist to this arc, I thought it was very clever. I'm also glad Mayoi is still around, she's a fun character. One thing that struck me is that I'd probably feel a bit frustrated had I watched this show week-to-week as it came out. Although you understand later that the conversations had greater meaning than they seemed to at first glance episode 1 kinda feels like 2 people bullshitting around for 24 minutes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Thinking back on it, showing Araragi's eye going all vampire and having him wonder if normal humans can't see that far was really clever misdirection.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I will say, given what we learned about her in Episode 2, it says a lot about how hard Hitagi's fallen for Araragi that she was willing to make herself so vulnerable in front of him. Does a lot to make her likable despite how abrasive and neurotic she can be at other points.

Also, it wasn't clear from watching - Does Araragi know enough Engrish to know what "I love you" as an english loan-phrase means? Or will that be revealed in time?

I think basically everyone in Japan knows that.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Lets all get hype for patlabor, the robot anim

I am very excited to share something I love dearly with all my anime pals.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ready...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GO

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Wait, is the ginger one a dude or a babe, this is important

She's the Droyer wife

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I had no idea other people watching a thing you like was this much fun!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

nice, evangelion ref

This is older than EVA

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Command Ant posted:

Pat isn't the most creative name for your robot, though.

No robot in this show is called Pat

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

nobody commenting on the fact that gun guy just killed dozens of policemen

They're all fine

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Are we moving directly to the next episode?

yes

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

HellCopter posted:

That was some nice, simple robots-doing-stuff action. Hope the coming OVAs have a bit more depth.

Pictured: robots doing stuff

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

is ep 2 supposed to start eith the patlabor flying for like a few secs

yes

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

He very clearly uses his foot to lift it, though. :v:

I never noticed

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Shinshi is the sanest person in SV2 and also the most powerful person in SV2.

That's Sakaki actually

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

so is this in america or japan?

Japan.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

They held a long conversation in the car about the mayor of new york visiting, Namtab. Keep up!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

why is the mayor of new york visiting japan, a country he is not mayor of?

do you know what visiting means namtab?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Theres a lot of traffic in the japanese robot future

That's why they need to reclaim the land

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Labora have HUEG shoulders

The Ingram in the eyecatch is weirdly off-model

Adbot