Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I read too many of those Ken Penders comics when I was younger and less discerning. However, they always compared unfavourably with the UK comic (Sonic the Comic) for me, which was my favourite when I was little(r).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kurui Reiten posted:

Though one of the biggest breaking points towards the end was a cover of Sonic crying over a marriage invite.

Way past cool!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I was never able to get into StC. I just couldn't stand Sonic himself.

He was kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Veotax posted:

Although the Sonic Adventure adaptation was the last story the comic told before going into reruns until it was cancelled so maybe they didn't care about being on-model. It also had almost nothing to do with Sonic Adventure other than having Chaos (who had a completely different origin from the game version) and Sonic took a brief diversion to the past and met Tikal and the ancient Echidnas (and also Knuckles, adding to the mystery of what happened to StC's Enhidnas and making me wonder how far in advance the writers knew about the cancellation).

I am fairly sure Nigel Kitching has talked about this, and I think he knew the Sonic Adventure adaptation was going to be the last original material they'd be doing when they started it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think Ian did a lot of good things with the echidnas, personally. Lien-da really excelled under his pen, and Finitevus was one of the comic's best villains.

I think they benefited from paring down the echidna cast to Knuckles, Julie-Su, Lien-Da, Locke and Fintevus (and Dimitri's head in a jar, I suppose), whereas before you'd had all of them on top of half a dozen other guardians, Knuckles' mother, step-father and brother, Constable Remington and so on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chocolate Teapot posted:

I can't believe you guys remember all those awful weird names.

I blame it on :spergin:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

I'm so glad this comic has managed to recover from the Pendering. Also that rather than rushing through Unleashed's plot, they decided to take their time and thoroughly use the situation to establish the whole world. Anyone who remembers Megaman's games being compressed to 4 issues will be glad for this.

I remember between Flynn taking over and issue 200 or so, all the stories were pretty short - not really more than three parts - then the Iron Dominion story arc was pretty long (though, granted, by that time he had Sonic Universe to work with as well, so maybe it just felt larger). I wonder if that was mandated or if it was a personal decision on his part. It can have its drawbacks but it's much more appropriate for a children's comic than sprawling multi-year would-be epics stretching across three different titles.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never heard of Dan Drazen but I sort of feel like I should have. What's the story with him?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember the first issue of STC I read (#132, where the lead strip was the second part in a two-part story and the back-ups were a Tails solo story*, an Amy solo story which involved one of the recurring original characters, and the last ever Decap Attack strip, which was also part two in a two-part story, so I didn't have a clue what was happening). I think the first American one I saw was one which had Sonic and Tails fighting one of the various Metal Sonics in Station Square immediately after the Sonic Adventure adaptation, where the cover was set out like a fighting game with health bars and such. I saw it in a convenience store when I was in America on a family holiday, maybe circa 1998, and it was then about six years or so before I read another issue of it.

* This Tails story is pretty out-there - it has Tails meeting a cat called Cat O' Three-Tails, whose ability to do three tasks at once (painting a fence, cleaning a window, unclogging a sink) makes the local tradesmen fear for their jobs, so plumber rings up a robot hire service (called "Mike O' Chips Hire-A-Bot"), hires a killer robot and sets it on the cat, who reveals that all three of his tails are actually artificial, that his real name is Tom Manx, and he started wearing fake tails because he had tail-envy of Tails.

A lot of those Lew Stringer back-up strips are great. Some fall pretty flat ("Bravehog", "Amy's Secret Past" et al.), but there were a lot of fun ideas in them. He did this long storyline where Amy Rose and Tekno the Canary (one of his original characters) travel to all of these far-off worlds and other dimensions, one of which has them journeying back in time to learn that evolution was triggered by dinosaurs in spacesuits who are implied to work for God pump proteins into the primordial soup from a tank labelled "42".

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 11, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Misread the watermark on the one on the right as "Penders licensing approved".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsterEnvy posted:

Great Battle Kukku XV

Tails' Sky Patrol getting a look-in after about 25 years is pretty amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recently read this (on Wikipedia, based on an interview from a couple of years ago) about some restrictions imposed on Sonic the Comic in the mid-1990s:

quote:

• Halfway during Robert Corona’s tenure, a new licensing agency came up with new guidelines for drawing Sonic, which included the position, orientation, and the number of his spikes varying from each angle, the fact that Sonic’s pupils “always had to be touching some part of the outside of his eyes,” and the fact that they could never show Sonic’s teeth.

Presuming this is correct, did any of this ever apply to Archie Sonic?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I've heard about that, but that's all about his character and the stories, which I think is a bit different from "Sonic's pupils must always touch the outside of his eyes" and "Sonic's teeth should never be shown". :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Eggman is a great bad guy because he's an essentially ridiculous character, just down to his name and his design, but he can function as a comedic villain and a dramatic villain equally well.

I personally prefer him as a comedic villain but I think that's because I liked The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog when I was little and never saw SatAM, which was taking itself way too seriously. At the same time, I enjoyed his final story arc in STC in its Sonic Adventure adaptation, where he realised he was never going to defeat Sonic and just decided to give up and let Chaos destroy Mobius, because at least that way Sonic and his friends would die as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday, Ken Penders tweeted a message in which he expressed his willingness to return to Archie Sonic for #300 and "restore (it) to its former glory".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Why is he called Eggman Nega and not Neggaman

I believe H.P. Lovecraft had a cat by that name. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay I'm trying to tell some uninitiated folks about how utterly nuts Ken Penders' run was, but I can't find the best version of the pic with like a hundred different Knuckles clones (the one that had them labeled as like, "cyber Knuckles," "Knuckles with one eye," "purple Knuckles," etc) and I can't find the page of Tails turning into some horrifying muscle-beast at all. Does anyone have those handy?

The former is the first result if you GIS "Ken Penders Knuckles".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Athair appeared in Sonic Underground and for years there was a really persistent story that he was voiced by Sean Connery of all people, but I'm pretty sure it was Maurice LaMarche doing a Connery impression.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the first ever Internet arguments I ever got into was when I was 12 and argued that Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was the best cartoon of the three against a guy who I'm pretty sure was twice my age and insisted that SatAM was best because it was DARK and SERIOUS and GRITTY.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine that if there is any such edict, it's that characters who originated in the games can't wear clothing. So that would basically just be Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.

I don't think Geoffrey St. John wore clothes aside from his boots and his beret, but I feel like he was a Ken Penders character so he's not in it any more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

I honestly think the man just really, really wants to be Don Rosa.

Nah, because Don Rosa's work is almost single-mindedly devoted to the ideas of Carl Barks, but Ken Penders's work is single-mindedly devoted to the ideas of Ken Penders. :v:

Also, I've never seen that version of the family tree before; the only ones I've seen haven't had Ludwig Von Drake and the picture of the nephews' father has always been obscured by branches. :confused:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

They were forced to compromise.

"Kneecapeon-Mace". :cripes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, haven't seen those extra "notable character" sidebars before either (just the one with Daisy and her nieces). Strange seeing Don Rosa drawings of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy et al.

Good grief, I never realised before, if Scrooge's grandmother's maiden name was "Mallard" does that mean he's distantly related to Darkwing Duck? :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has Ian mentioned why he's made Mighty and Ray such big characters? They certainly seem like they've been given a bit of a boost relative to how obscure they are compared to some other characters (Mighty less so, since he always seems to end up folded into the Chaotix Crew: see also Sonic the Comic).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reminder that Mobisu 25YL went on for about 10 issues, that the story stopped rather than ended and that one instalment was Sonic, Knuckles and Sonic's son playing snooker while their wives and daughters have a pyjama party.

Also the root of an odd episode in the ongoing saga of Archie Sonic backstage nonsense: in the second Mobius 25YL story, which Flynn wrote, Shadow now rules the future, has Rotor chained up in his dungeon and insinuates that he's killed this echidna scientist character who appeared in the first story.

Shortly afterwards, Penders took to his message board to say that Rotor was gay and the echidna was his boyfriend, and implied that Flynn was killed them off because he was a homophobe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

I still don't really understand why they needed to kill Robotnik off and then replace him in the first place. If they wanted to switch over to the modern design from the games they could have done what the Fleetway version did and just had him change clothes.

Granted, the Fleetway book also changed Robotnik's appearance early on in its run in a pretty silly way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was never a SatAM one; it went straight from classic games to Long John Baldry.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For anyone not aware, this is how Fleetway Robotnik changed his appearance in STC #22:

<two or three pages>

And then in #23:

And here's a page from later in that issue that I thought was funny when I was little. :D

These issues introduced Amy Rose as well as Robotnik's new look and I think they're the point where Richard Elson really started coming into his own as a Sonic artist (though he wouldn't have refined his style until the story after next, which was the Sonic CD adaptation).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 24, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And here is how he went from that to the Sonic Adventure look 160 issues later:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Grimer was Snively originally, as Nigel Kitching explained years and years ago on the old STC Yahoo group:

quote:

I don't know. These things are the invention of Rich Elson. In fact the
whole look of Grimer may be Rich's...

Let me explain.

In all those early scripts I thought I had to use Snively so I probably
(can't actually remember to be honest) wrote his personality based on the
refs I had. The first time I wrote Grimer as Grimer was in the story
featuring Knuckles probably. I don't remember how I came to describe Grimer
to Rich and it's possible I wrote something and it's possible that I gave
him something to work with over the phone but it's also possible that he
just came up with the look himself after Richard Burton told him Snively was
off-limits.

It just so happens I came across my early Sonic scripts so here is the part
of issue 21 that introduces Grimer (well, Snively):

5. Longer shot of the door to Robotnik's office. We can see that there is a
secretary sitting at a desk outside. Once again she is a weird looking
human. Snively has approached her desk. Snively is a character from the
Sonic TV Series model sheets. He is Robotnik's assistant and has ambitions
to power in a Uriah Heep kind of way.

Secretary: I WOULDN'T GO IN THERE IF I WERE YOU, SNIVELY. THE BOSS IS
IN A REALLY UGLY MOOD TODAY.

Snively: I'M SURE IT WILL BE ALL RIGHT FOR ME TO ENTER, MY DEAR. I AM
THE DOCTOR'S RIGHT HAND MAN, AFTER ALL...

6. Snively is now in the office but Robotnik has been replaced by a
Robotnik-sized egg. Snively registers surprise but not too much, he's a cool
scheming character this Snively. The egg is smoking slightly.

Snively: MASTER, IS THAT EGG YOU?

Snively: I REALLY CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST SAID THAT...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He did sometimes look like he got lost on his way to the Decap Attack strip (which was great).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shinjobi posted:

Loving a computer is NO GOOD

Go to FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM and put a stop to it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Here's a weird little query, does anyone recall the Sonic novels and CYOA knockoff books that were made in the 90s?

Were those the ones Virgin Books published which relied on the same instructions or Sonic bible as STC?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In any event, I didn't really read them but I was aware of them via the loose association with STC.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrFlibble posted:

In the uk version the accident that created Robotnik was actually caused by sonic and time travel shenanigans involving the brotherhood of metalix.

Robotnik = Kintobor + Chaos energy + A really smelly rotten egg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrFlibble posted:

In or around issue 65 there was a storyline involving loads of metal sonics (the brotherhood of metalix) and time travel and they were involved somehow but its been quite a while since I read it. Or it might have been in the chaotix story just before issue 100.

Yeah, the Metallix were created by Robotnik's assistant, Grimer, but Robotnik's one contribution to the design was their self-destruct button. So the Metallix change history by going back in time and prevent Kintobor from becoming Robotnik; Grimer still creates them, but they're never equipped with a kill-switch, so they effectively have no weaknesses. Sonic and the Chaotix Crew have to follow them back in time Terminator-style and Sonic has to directly create his own worst enemy so they'll be able to use the self-destruct to stop the Metallixes when they return to the present.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kurui Reiten posted:

Did the idea of "just stop Grimer from ever making them" even come up? 'cause you know, you woulda thought "get Grimer tossed in jail or something" would work.

Frankly, I'm not sure why the Metallix decided they needed to travel back in time essentially to prevent the birth of the man who installed their kill-switch instead of, you know, just removing it themselves. :v: (Probably there was some in-story justification but it's been so many years since I read it that I can't remember.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is that by Superstar ArtistTM Michiyamenotehi Funana?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You see, Julie-Su the Echidna is completely different from Julie-Su the Echyd'nya.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

Bumping this to ask if anyone has a link to/was the one that made this large post about Penders and all his awful decisions and lovely personality on the forums some point kinda-semi-recently? It may have been in a thread about best/worst runs on titles, but I can’t find that anymore. It was a hilarious story (especially the bit where a long-running Tails storyline ends with him becoming like a steroid monster with superbreath) and I’d love to see it again.

He became a steroid monster, but he didn't have superbreath; he created a gigantic fan with his tails. I mean, seriously, Superbreath would've been silly. :v:

The post you seek is somewhere in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Now With 100% Less Echyd'nya

• Locked thread