Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Man, I hate continuity reboots almost as much as I hate putting characters on a bus-the emotional investment is gone. It's be interesting to see what the reboot did to readership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Why on earth would people blame Flynn? I totally get that the reboot thing was a) Penders' fault and b) pretty much inevitable after the court case. I just find the sudden shifts jarring. I'm curious about actual purchasing numbers- what proportion of the people that "moved on" did so by moving on from the comic.

Opposing Farce posted:

And honestly, if there was ever a comic that really genuinely needed a continuity reset, it was this one.

Enh, Flynn et al were rehabilitating the Night of a Thousand Echidna pretty effectively before the plot device erased and shifted a bunch of characters, memories, relationships, etc. Piecemeal retconning is less likely to make people go "well I guess none of that stuff I read matters".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 2, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

All the echidna stuff was Penders' weird fixation, so they were all put on a bus shortly before the reboot. Julie-Su was (in part thanks to later rehabilitation) a good character for having a decent background and defying gender stereotypes, but generally the echidnas were the most eminently mockable part of the Penders Period. Ah well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog - Ken Penders Is Still Hurting Us

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The cartoon animals clothes thing was always weird, with Sally at the core of it. There is a rather uncomfortable gender roles thing going on with the naked, default gendered male primary characters and having (at this point, as near as I can recall) all the female characters wearing clothes.

Sally's old design never bothered me, maybe just because I wasn't sexually attracted to cartoon animals from videogame tie-ins (which, I know, is probably actually a minority position in the larger Sonic fanbase). I just didn't think the funny animals had anything to cover.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think it's:

Screaming Idiot posted:

As someone who had to suffer under the yoke of Penders growing up, I'm glad that today's kids are getting comics that at least sort of resemble the games they're supposed to be about.

But the truth is Tails will never let Knuckles steal his boyfriend.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 16, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I just came to a realization: Penders was going for something specific with the echidna spam this whole time.

I honestly think the man just really, really wants to be Don Rosa.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 21, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, because Don Rosa's work is almost single-mindedly devoted to the ideas of Carl Barks, but Ken Penders's work is single-mindedly devoted to the ideas of Ken Penders. :v:

Also, I've never seen that version of the family tree before; the only ones I've seen haven't had Ludwig Von Drake and the picture of the nephews' father has always been obscured by branches. :confused:

It's more recent, and yeah I'm not saying the two are the same(I mean, Rosa won an Eisner), but it explains a hell of a lot about Penders' approach to things, down to the crappy family tree chart.

edit: was Penders responsible for Knuckles getting a child half-brother with a dopey name?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 21, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

"Knucles, you have to take care of your triplet half siglings, Mace-cey, Da-Cey and La-Key-La. First, though, a flashback sequence detailing your great-uncle's life for three issues"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah the Ludwig Von Duck addition is new to me too. I've seen a bunch of different versions from around the world with different images of the triplets' dad however. It's a shame Barks never got around to revealing him. Apparently there was some big conceptualized unfinished story he made some sketches for where the ducks go on an adventure in Tibet, and the boys were going to learn some big secret about their missing parents they almost never mention, but Barks never revealed what that was going to be.

Nothing so developed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Comedy option:

DC gets it.

And gives it to Penders.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

We are pleased to announce that Sonic will be under the stewardship of one of the most experienced Hands in the business.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Which one of them is the editor?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Just watch, IDW will exclusively have rights to characters created by Sega... and Penders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I am JULIE-SU a flesh-and-steel freedchidna on the land;; and your Human court has no jurisdiction on me;

• Locked thread