Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Thanks for this, I don't have much to contribute but I'll enjoy reading it.

I'm definitely looking forward to all the new rail lines in Denver this year and in 2018!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

"Little" transit

This seems quite popular in Colorado right now, actually; there's RTD, which covers eight counties around the Denver metro area and runs buses and all of the lightrail/commuter rail lines, but there's also several outlying regional transit agencies (all of which are exclusively bus/shuttle services).

Off the top of my head - Boulder, Ft Collins, Greeley, Colorado Springs, Vail, Aspen/Glenwood Springs, and Summit County all have their own transit services.

The ones in the mountains - Vail, Summit County, and Aspen/Glenwood Springs are all pretty obviously driven by the tourist industry, with Summit County being primarily between the ski areas and Vail and Aspen mostly servicing their ski resorts and related parts of town.

I'm not as familiar with the bus services in Boulder or Ft Collins, but I went to school in Greeley in for a few years, and I gotta say, their bus service is absolutely useless for the student population, which probably makes up at least a solid fifth of the city's population, and I don't really see how it's even that useful for the non-student population. Most of the bus routes seem focused towards the dilapidated Greeley Mall, the one shopping center on the Western end of the town, the "downtown" block, and the government services up North (DMV, assorted county buildings, etc).

I would like to think that eventually our commuter rail aspirations will see us laying tracks to places like Greeley, Ft Collins, and Colorado Springs (none of which are much further from Denver than Longmont, the current endpoint of the planned B Line), so perhaps those cities will invest more in their local transit services once they have connections to a broader, statewide RTD system, but that's decades into the future so it's anyone's guess at this point. I've actually considered running for CO state legislature with the key objective of pushing to expand mass transit throughout the state like that.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My friend went to the ribbon-cutting ceremony at DIA and managed to catch the very first train on the new line, I was green with envy that I had to work.

I'd imagine little to none of the passengers this weekend will be actual airport passengers, especially since all RTD train rides are free and they're sponsoring station parties at every station all day.

I'll probably take it for a ride on Sunday :toot:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

Another collection of retail outlets even further out had a mixture of standard big box lot layout, coupled with narrow strets, parallel parking, downtown emulating traffic layout, but still next to big box stores. The worst part is that there are (purely decorative) parking meters installed as some sort of cargo cult extension of "downtown" :wtc:

Wait, what? Where is this? Asking as a former North-metro-Denver-liver.

(I'm guessing Thornton)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its a shitload easier to get laid when you can just walk back to your place while drunk, rather than risking DUI. Why the gently caress would you ever wanna DUI?

There are these things called "taxis"

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Politico's published a great overview of the recent history of transit in Denver, including all the political deals and business coalition-building that made FastTracks happen.

This was a great read, thanks for this! I always get the warm and fuzzies when reading stuff like this about my city :)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah, RTD actually discontinued a fair number of airport busses and rerouted others to Union Station for transfer to the A Line. It's definitely proven to be a more efficient system in a lot of ways that aren't readily apparent.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah, you're right about the RTD thing. This will pretty much doom Colorado Springs to never have rail to Denver since this is a city that doesn't keep its loving streetlights on at night just to save a little tax money.

Also, I just moved into an apartment that's a five minute walk from a lightrail station, and having that access has made life so much easier and more fun in just the five days since I've moved :toot:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Link's dead, looks like they may have removed the post

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

There we go, thanks.

That sounds pretty cool, as I'm all in favor of whatever makes this city more pedestrian- and bike-friendly. However, there's a part of the article that mentions the projects won't actually receive any funds from the city, just help in navigating regulations and whatnot; That stuck out to me because Denver's City Council approved the 2017 city budget on Monday, and one of the biggest missing elements was funds for sidewalk repair. Apparently we have a sidewalk problem "valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars across the city".

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/14/denver-city-council-budget-vote/

The Denver Post posted:

The 2017 operating budget, unveiled by Hancock in September and approved 12-0 on Monday, will pay for four dozen new police officers and an expanded affordable housing program. It also sets aside $2.5 million for new or fixed sidewalks on city-owned property, such as parks and golf courses.

But while that sum is a new offering from the Hancock administration, it won’t address crumbling or missing walks that front homes, businesses and other private property across the city.

The council has focused heavily on the topic this year, with a working group probing potential ways to help low-income property owners address sidewalk gaps. Under city ordinances, the onus now is on private property owners to install and maintain their sidewalks.

That distinction has resulted in deteriorating pavement and persistent pathway gaps, even in well-off neighborhoods. And enforcement, which would saddle homeowners with the cost of repairs or installation, has been lax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I'm going to one of the city's General Obligation Bond meetings on Thursday. I don't know what I hope to learn or say, but I at least want to start getting involved in making things better here. Maybe I'll run for RTD's board of directors someday!

• Locked thread