Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
please hop on the minnesota wild bandwagon, we have hotdish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

quote:

Yes I realize St.Louis and Washington have never won either but we all know they love first round exits more than the Cup itself

Hey, you're forgetting us! :mad:

Please hop on the Wild's bandwagon, once again, I'M TERRIBLE AND THE WILD WILL BE KILLED BY THE STARS

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Dale Ouise posted:

Will there be cheese curds served on this bandwagon?

Good Wisconsin boy Ryan Suter is providing the curds.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

the wild are going to lose to the red wings tonight, and I'm going to hate it

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

the flyers frickin rule

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

pls suspend now

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Hello, has Duncan Keith been suspended yet?

e: How long do these typically take?

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 1, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Infidel Castro posted:

Non-Flyers fans liking the Flyers feels really weird. It's like when the WWE tried to make people like HHH. Hexy really should think about turning heel again.

I'm like the only person here who pulls for the Flyers who wasn't a born and bred Flyers fan :v:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/716050254525833216

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

-this is not the GDT-

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 2, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

-this is not the GDT-

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 2, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

The Red Wings have killed Vanek.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Not happy with the Wild tonight, they looked outpaced by the Wings and tired :(

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

JawKnee posted:

well they did play last night

and lost

I am aware, thank you.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Hey Charlie, how do you feel about Keith's suspension?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

tofes posted:

Why do I even watch hockey?

cause it rules

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

tofes posted:

Oh I didn't realize that hit was clean it's totally ok that Zadorov has a concussion now my bad

then the next step is to remove hitting, sorry dude

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

tofes posted:

If that's really the next step then sign me up. How anyone can look at that hit, knowing what we know about head injuries now, and say nothing is wrong with it is beyond me.

Sign me out, then.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

:rip: Bolts

Anyone else think Max Domi rules

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

The research coming out now is going to kill hockey and football, and also maybe soccer and basketball. We can still enjoy baseball and curling I guess.

There are baseball players with CTE. Ban all contact sports or ones where there is a modicum of contact.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

So when's the last time that an American lead the league in points, had a minimum 100 points, or did both? I'm guessing modano was most recent? Roenick had 107 in 94

Edit: modano topped out at 93pts in a season, wow. Pat lafontaine I forgot was American and hit 148 but none of them ever led the league

minnesota north stars legend mike modano

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

soggybagel posted:

Minnesota is a piece of poo poo team.

fuckin agreed op

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Just watched the "highlights" from the game. Good lord Morrow and Trotman, and really the D over all are just a dumpster fire wrapped in burnt bacon covered in wet shoe leather. Mournful, they have mournful defense. Just sad. Like, The Notebook sad.

this is incredible

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

the wild will beat the sharks today and clinch a spot in the playoffs

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Dumba-Benched
Reilly-Benched
Folin-Recalled
Dalpe-Recalled

:psyduck:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Zucker-Coyle-Dalpe forward line

Folin-Prosser Third D line

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

wild clinch, will get swept by stars i'm gay, hth

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

once again for emphasis, just like the wild, i'm gay

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

:mad:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Shawn Cotureier posted:

If the Flyers beat Detroit in regulation tonight and win in any fashion against Toronto tomorrow night, they clinch a spot

Also this

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/717777521509580800

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Oh ok, that makes sense. Philadelphians wanting fans of other sports teams to be beaten and brutally injured or killed seems about right.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

the minnesota wild are the villan of the west, for being poo poo

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

we are going to play the dallas stars basically unless the blues happen to have a good last second sprint.

are you ready for some fun??

now how about a live look in here at top hats monthly in minneapolis???

JoelJoel posted:

Stars going to pick up two wins or St Louis won't, given the blues have a much tougher couple games remaining. Either way I look forward to the blood of a wild stars match up and top hats melting down and getting banned.

You're GODDAMN right

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

LumpyGumby posted:

Predators, but close.

this doesn't shock me

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I currently don't hate Minnesota but anything can change quickly in the playoffs.

you wuss

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

u should all cheer for the wild. all dallas stars fans, i want you to hate me so bad. please hate me. i love it.

This is where I get serious.

The Minnesota North Stars drafted possibly the greatest American player of all time, Mike Modano, in 1987. Things looked up for the North Stars, and they had a Cinderella run to the cup in the 1990-1991 season. The finals ended with the Penguins hoisting the cup, with amazing goal scorer Mario Lemieux and up coming young gun Jaromir Jagr smoking the North Stars in a 4-2 series. After the North Stars' miracle cup run in 1991, a dispersal draft was held as the team was sold to Norm Green who promised to keep the team in Minnesota, in exchange, the previous owners of the North Stars were awarded the San Jose sharks. This effectively undone the 1970s merger of the Cleveland Barons and North Stars, and Minnesota lost half their team in the exchange. It was over for the North Stars.

(Pictured, noted piece of garbage Ulf Samuelsson)

Norm proceeded to change the logo of the North Stars to just "Stars". The writing was on the wall. Dallas was moved to Minnesota by Norm Green, a Winnipeg real estate magnate, after falling ticket sales sexually harassing a Star Tribune reporter, multiple secretaries, and having a mistress. Mrs. Green threatened to leave Norm if he didn't move the team. In addition, maybe one of the most bizarre fatalities of the cola wars occurred. The new NBA franchise, the Minnesota Timberwolves played in the Target Center. Norm Green wanted the Target Center for himself. Eventually, an almost last minute deal was attempted, but talks shut down since the Minnesota North Stars had a long term contract with Pepsi they could not break, while the Wolves were sponsored by Coca-Cola.

Norm ran out of money in 1996 and had to sell the team to Tom Hicks. (Allegedly, he planned to move the team to Charlotte before there was a backroom deal, although rumors are unsubstantiated). Hicks had a plan of action for the Stars and was ready to carry it out. In the sixth game of the 1998-99 Stanley Cup finals, University of Minnesota-Duluth alum Brett Hull pitches the puck over the prone Sabres goaltender. Mike Modano would hoist the cup, and the South had a cup, Bettman's southern expansion strategy seemed to be working.

The Stars lost the Stanley Cup the following year in 2000. The last Minnesota North Star, Mike Modano, retired in 2010 with the Detroit Red Wings. They proceeded to do nothing of note until 2011, where they made the most genius move in professional hockey history and declared bankruptcy. Hicks had run amok in a failed business venture and couldn't pay a loan. Hicks also in the process ruined the Texas Rangers of the MLB, and Liverpool F.C. of the Premier League in England. The Stars were sold to Tom Gagliardi. Gagliardi made the promise to stay in Dallas and followed through, for which I have respect.

Minnesota on the other hand, went without a team from 1994 to 2000. In 1996, the Winnipeg Jets nearly moved to Minnesota. Mayor of St. Paul Norm Coleman lobbied hard for the team to be moved to Minnesota. The folks in charge decided that hockey in Arizona was a much stronger idea. Jerry Colangelo, the main proprietor for the move of the Jets to Phoenix is now the chairman of basketball operations for the Philadelphia 76ers (:lol:)

In 1997, Minnesota was awarded an expansion team. The fans wanted North Stars but were not allowed. This led to the absolute miserable name "Minnesota Wild", but I digress. Gary Bettman was quoted during the first game as saying something along the lines of the NHL should have never left. Darby Hendrickson scored the first goal ever for the Minnesota Wild at home. December 2000, In their first meeting in Minnesota, Minnesota beats Dallas 6-0. Catharsis reigns.

Since 2000, neither Dallas nor Minnesota have hoisted a cup. The farthest either team has made it is the conference finals, Dallas in 07-08, and Minnesota in 2003. Both teams have their fair share of strengths and weaknesses that play off on each other. Will Dallas' goaltending hold if their explosive offense can't get moving? Will Minnesota be able to hold off a massive offensive threat led by Jamie Benn? We won't know these answers until later in April. These teams are fighting for the Stanley Cup, that is true, but what does this game mean to people? In Minnesota, a sense of pride just might be restored if there is a victory over the juggernauts of the West. In Dallas, maybe they just don't give a poo poo about Minnesota and would be happy to jump them in the playoffs. Who really knows at this point.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 8, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Mike Modano is an American hero

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Guys I'm poo poo but at least the Bruins missed the playoffs and I'm gay

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

:quig:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I HATE DALLAS

• Locked thread