Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Ghostbear is dead haha april fools here is a joke about a player suffering serious injury because we are not sociopaths.

http://www.letsgoflyers.net/2016/04/01/breaking-shayne-gostisbehere-out-for-remainder-of-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Boston and Detroit are in the same division, one of them has to go. Ottawa is next and they're already eliminated.

Ottawa wins out, Detroit beats Boston in regulation but both teams otherwise lose out, and league institutes Canadian-playoff-representation-tie-breaker rule.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

So if Detroit miraculously gets in, they probably get to lose to play a no-Stamkos Tampa? That's wild, man.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm the cool guy with the El-Liot jersey.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Which coach posed the hotbrains theory about helmets? Was it Dr. AV?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Bold prediction: the Red Wings will play a hockey game tonight and will win said hockey game by a score of at least one more goal than the opposing team of orange bullies.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

We will have to agree to disagree, then, opposing sports team fan who may be an otherwise okay human creature.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Detroit will take a PK. We have plenty of Montreal-sized forwards to offer in return.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

^^^ also this. The format requires some time to develop rivalries based on teams repeatedly playing each other in the first/second round.

I think it's premature to say divisional playoffs don't build rivalries based on two years of data.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Gonna be such an impressive loss by Detroit.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't subscribe to the constant doom, gloom, and down fall of the great hockey club of the Detroit Red Wings as Dandy Kaiser does, but I am going to agree with this post.

At least if Philly or Boston fucks the carpet, Wings will still get the honor of getting blown out in the first round.

I mean, I think Detroit will make it in. I also think they're a better team than their record indicates based on possession numbers and poo poo like that.

I'd like to see Mrazek in net tomorrow, though (he won't be, apparently). He's still the better goalie and he's going to be thirsty as gently caress, and he plays well in those situations.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Zodijackylite posted:

Brett Gallant is not a prospect, he's hardly even a hockey player.

"In 47 games for Lake Erie, Gallant had no goals, one assist, 149 penalty minutes and a minus-9 rating."

Dude managed five points in a full season in the Q as an overager.

Well then he should've loving died, eh?

Today, the Red Wings of Detroit [greatest city on the mother earth] will extend their playoff streak to infinity plus one possibly through embarrassing dual collapses by them and Boston.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Why don't the Pistons and Red Wings have one arena? I know Auburn Hills is way out of the city in yuppie land but that's all.

I don't know the details but there's basically no relationship between Illitch and Gores (Pistons owner). When the new arena was announced, any discussion of sharing it was shot down immediately. Gores's big thing is that the Palace is all paid off, so he makes a shitload of money out there. He occasionally talks about wanting to move the team downtown but I don't understand how that would happen unless they strike a deal with the Red Wings. There's no loving way they build another sports venue downtown.

Also, have any of you fuckers actually been to Detroit recently? It's not Gotham.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Why isn't anyone excited about a Detroit-Tampa rematch where Detroit is older and dumber and half of Tampa is dead?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

SchrodingersCat posted:

Per the Freep article, Datsyuk's agent was told the Wings are planning on eating the cap hit. That stings in an off season where a 26 year old 50 goal scoring C is available.

It seems fairly obvious that they'll still dump a ton of money on Stamkos. Datsyuk's $7.5m hit will hurt but it's only for this upcoming year. It's poo poo like giving $4m contracts to Abdelkader, Ericsson, and Quincey -- along with the $5m they're spending on Franzen (RIP) and Weiss (RIP) -- that cripples the team. At least cap magic allows them to keep Franzen off the books.

They can (and should) free $12m by not re-signing Richards, Helm, Miller, and Quincey, all of whom are easily replaced internally. DeKeyser, Mrazek, Marchenko, Sheahan, and Pulkkinen are RFAs but only the former two will get any kind of significant raise.

So, they could fit Stamkos if he's cool with joining a half-assed rebuild icing an AHL defense.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 10, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Dandy Kaiser posted:

can't wait to watch datsyuk's career end with an unceremoniously abrupt and embarrassing first round exit just like yzerman and lidstrom. he'll probably get hurt during his last series like yzerman did, too.

Yzerman lost an eye, Lidstrom basically lost a testicle. Datsyuk tried to beat them by destroying both tendons but he's got more to do. Maybe a head shot will deflate part of his alien skull. :smith:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Dandy Kaiser posted:

i hope the wings get swept so at least he can skate his last shift on home ice in front of a half filled lower bowl

lol wut

I'm goofin'. Of course we'll sign them and Hudler will replace Datsyuk.

Zetterberg-Larkin-Abdelkader
Tatar-Richards-Nyquist
Helm-Sheahan-Hudler
AA-Glendening-Miller

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Green
Quincey-Marchenko

26 years and counting, boys!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Paying $7.5m for nothing vs. paying $7.5m for a broken, homesick homophobe staying and playing half-heartedly on gay cadaver ankles doesn't seem like a huge difference.

I like how Datsyuk said he should've done 1 year deals, though. That's a savvy business man. Maybe he could replace Holland and telecommute from Russia.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

VJeff posted:

Pretty sure Datsyuk said he's okay with the team trading his contract. I dunno where this "Team is gonna eat the cap hit" talk is coming from, maybe Holland's trying to get fired.

It was in that dummy Mitch Albom's article. Datsyuk's agent said the team won't trade his rights.

Why? Who knows. There's literally no reason not to pursue that as an option.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I still maintain that Babcock was a net-positive for this team. It's pretty loving clear that the "no young guys!" policy is from Holland.

edit: although the idea that the vets started to hate him is probably true so that would've been an issue (but all the vets had the worst years of the careers, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I meant net-positive for last year as a point of reference to speculate on this year, but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=877482

Full schedule is out. I'm not sure why I can't find it on the NHL website, but Detroit has everyone.

I'm going to try to go to Game 4 in Detroit, I think.

• Locked thread