Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Explosionface posted:

It took me a bit to warm up to him, but I love JD. I'm definitely satisfied with the Cubs TV duo as it stands.

Yeah, I still don't think I like JD quite as much as Bob Brenly but he's still pretty great. And, as the kids say, Len Kasper is bae. He's super knowledgable, great on Twitter and I love his nerdy asides about music and 80's comedies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
So the Cubs look to be as advertised. Arrieta looked great and the offense is legit. They took long grind-it-out at bats, forcing Richards out of the game early, and then actually piled on more insurance runs later in the game, which is something that they always seem to have problems with. Yes, yes. I like this very much.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
How the hell is the Dodgers' cost that low? Good lord.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

will_colorado posted:

Also:

quote:

In the team's first 3 games of the 2016 season, the Padres have a total of 28 strikeouts.

The highest number of strikeouts Tony Gwynn had in a single season during the 1990s was 28 in 1997

Ho. Lee. poo poo.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Cubs, being, Cubs.

On the bright side, Mune's getting called up.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Dexter Fowler wanted Kawasaki to get called up, and I don't blame him.

In a time of such great sadness for the team, the only cure is the happiest man alive.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
It feels surreal that the Cubs are just now playing their home opener. Between the Schwarber injury, the 5-1 record and the massive Arrieta pitcher dinger, it seems like so much has happened already.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The DH is cool in the AL and not having the DH is a cool and different thing in the NL. I don't know why we have to have this discussion once a month.

Also, hot take: bunting is cool. Not as cool as dingers, mind you, but a guy legging out a bunt single or executing a successful squeeze play is exciting as hell.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I'd maybe even resign myself to a DH in the NL if they'd just do the right thing and add a pitchers-only homerun derby to All Star weekend.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
:siren:ANTHONY RIZZO HAS TAKEN CONTROL OF STARLIN CASTRO'S COOL CLAPPY WALK -UP MUSIC:siren:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Nail Rat posted:

How about just a giant umbrella that comes out of one of the rooftop buildings without a sightline anymore?

This would be cool as poo poo until a gust of wind blew the giant umbrella west down Addison, killing dozens.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Somehow, among all of the Cubs feats in this early part of the season, I'm most impressed by the walks. Good Lord, they are taking so many walks.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I think Vin Scully was intimating that Nick Ahmed is in the Illuminati.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Can we please spend less time talking about the Cubs eventual heartbreak and more time talking about how awesome they are now? I don't really want to see a 50/50 split on this poo poo all season. The Cubs are awesome now. Live for the moment. We can cry about it later. Namaste.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Retail Slave posted:

gently caress the Cardinals. I only wish Heyward had homered tonight.

Still two more games at Busch, my friend.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Goodpancakes posted:

A fan reached out in the SF / Arizona game and grabbed a ball that he thought was foul. it wasn't. He appeared to be asked to leave after that? Do you get kicked out if you do something like that?

Absolutely.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I love the idea of a bunch of TV engineers having to go back and meticulously listen to tape to see if people were saying the n word at Heyward. Ostensibly just so they can come back and say "nuh-uh".

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
That triple play has everything. Idiots overrunning bases. Fat men. Just all of it.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
N: The fact that all four games of a four game series were decided by 7+ runs is pretty interesting, along with the 52 total runs.

V: The half page of talking about the fact that this feat involved the Cubs, is not interesting. It is very tedious. Somebody find a gif of that Sox triple play or something.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Xenophon posted:

doesn't quite get across the madcap nature of the play but I will repost it every chance I get

Yeah, this isn't quite as cool as watching the video, but I'll accept it. I liked the Desmond oversliding part. The only way it could have been better was a fat man faceplant.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

AsInHowe posted:

Cub your enthusiasm.

:vince:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Goodpancakes posted:

What is he saying there? "gently caress it like a cat"??

God I hope so. Either way, I'm going to start randomly yelling "Awwwy yeah, gently caress it like a cat" because why the heck not?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Cubs are doing a Rizzo tarp catch bobblehead and it's going to be rad as gently caress.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

:laffo:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Everblight posted:

It ought to be, it's an audio clip of Bob Eucker from Major League

Even before clicking on the sound for that Vine, that is the exact audio that played in my head as I watched it.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

saintonan posted:

Right. The lesson from this is that PEDs work. They turned Dee Gordon into a batting champion.

Did they?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

GPTribefan posted:

Wouldn't that be acting against the best interests of players that DON'T use, tho? Doing nothing about the people who get suspended getting massive paydays absolutely affects the similar players who followed the rules.

Who gives a poo poo. It isn't the union's job to represent only the hypothetical "clean" players. Their job is to represent all players. Giving the teams an avenue to void player contracts would be dumb as hell.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
You're going to get an Adam Warren spot start/bullpen day and you're gonna like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
They don't really play double headers on Sundays, as it's a getaway day.

Also, I need to read that lovely Krauthammer article. I'm sure it will enrage me in a totally productive way.

• Locked thread