Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ace Attorney, known in Japan as Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu," Igiari! is the highly anticipated anime adaptation of the first two games in the Capcom game series of the same name. The series follows rookie defense attorney Phoenix Wright as he investigates his way through a series of complex murder cases. The series is beloved for both its irreverent humor and clever localization and fans have been clamoring for this since the series started.

PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-tfGuZShKQ

Staff
Director: Ayumu Watanabe
Series Composition: Atsuhiro Tomioka
Music: Kaoru Wada
Character Design: Keiko Ōta
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures

Dramatis Personae
If you want English names in your subs, right click the player on the site and select Alt Track!

Phoenix Wright/Ryuuichi Naruhodou (Yuki Kaji)
The protagonist of the series and a new lawyer fresh out of the bar.
Dislikes: Tough situations

Mia Fey/Chihiro Ayasato (Chie Nakamura)
The owner of Fey & Co. Law Offices and Phoenix's mentor.
Dislikes: When Phoenix messes up

Maya Fey/Mayoi Ayasato (Aoi Yuuki)
Mia's sister and a spirit medium. Becomes Phoenix's assistant through a series of events.
Dislikes: People thinking her outfit is weird

Miles Edgeworth/Reiji Mitsurugi (Masashi Tamaki)
A talented prosecutor who entered the profession at a young age. Rumors of dirty work surround him.
Dislikes: Incompetent subordinates

Dick Gumshoe/Keisuke Itonokogiri (Masami Iwasaki)
A detective in charge of homicides at Criminal Affairs.
Dislikes: Pay cuts

Larry Butz/Masashi Yahari (Tooru Nara)
Phoenix's childhood friend and first client. Has had more girlfriends than common sense.
Dislikes: Breakups

Hey buddy.
Being a mystery series, the mystery is pretty drat important. For the sake of people who haven't played the games, please try not to talk about anything past what the anime has covered. Speculation is fine, but I'll know if you're disguising spoilers as it. If you wish to talk about later-on stuff, there's an Ace Attorney thread in Games.

How is it?
Well, it ain't the prettiest thing around but hey! It's not bad so far, if a bit by the numbers. The real test will be when we get to the full-fledged cases, but I'm gonna be optimistic. Give it the ol' three eps. I'll probably watch the whole thing anyway.

Ace Attorney streams on Crunchyroll Saturdays at 7AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I wouldn't expect too much from the mysteries. They're designed to be solvable by the player on the fly, so with a week to think things through between episodes they should be trivial.

If the series is going to entertain it's going to be on the back of the presentation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The first ep was enjoyable enough.
I'm eagerly waiting for my best pal Dick Gumshoe to show up though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Maya is my wife

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

I wouldn't expect too much from the mysteries. They're designed to be solvable by the player on the fly, so with a week to think things through between episodes they should be trivial.

If the series is going to entertain it's going to be on the back of the presentation.

Probably, but I still wanted a bit of a spoiler policy in place for any anime-only watchers there might be.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/_garejei/status/716230828381102081

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That was a lot better than I expected from the preview, other than being a bit rushed to fit the first case into one episode it was pretty much spot on.
Is there no way of getting the western name subs on the PS4 CR player though? I don't really mind but it was a bit weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think you can get alt tracks on the mobile apps, yeah.

I think the best you can do is give feedback to Crunchy about which you prefer and hope they make the English names the main track.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Speaking of
https://twitter.com/NeruNox/status/716239022448852992

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
A very serviceable adaptation of the tutorial case into one episode. Hope it turns out good all-around, I got pretty hype when Objection! 2001 started playing so I hope to keep getting hype moments from the game.

Just found out that Nick is played by Koichi from DiU. This is the best anime season.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 2, 2016

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
That cgi court room was hideous looked like pre-2008 Runescape, otherwise pretty okay first episode.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The animation is a little rough, but I laughed when Frank Sawhit countered Nick so hard, he flew back and Mia was like "Nick, you alright?" Please do more of that

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm not quite sold on the show yet. I'll have to see how they handle the next case before jumping to conclusions.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

I'm hoping for some localized subs so I know who they're talking about if that character isn't onscreen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SM64Guy posted:

I'm hoping for some localized subs so I know who they're talking about if that character isn't onscreen.

Right click crunchyroll, swap to the alt eng track.

Unless you're using something "inventive" to watch and then just hope your "solution" includes that sub track next time.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Unless you're using something "inventive" to watch and then just hope your "solution" includes that sub track next time.

Ohh, I didn't know about that.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I'm getting a serious "Mr. Rental" (from Space Balls) vibe. It would be cool to watch someone play the game by taking clues from the anime. Or play the game and the anime side by side.

But I think the anime would be better served if there were minor or significant departures like Game of Thrones or etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The departures are the worst part of GoT though.

As long as they hit the best parts of each case running and keep the presentation at a decent level, it'll be okay. Not sure anyone expects anime of the season from this after all.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I think Ace Attorney gets under-appreciated as a game and this reminds me exactly why. It's missing the feeling of actually thinking through the evidence and even possibly getting things wrong. I think there's a way they could do that with Wright as the main character, but I don't see them doing it.

It doesn't help either that the sprites in AA have tons of personality and this looks dull as hell

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess it's canon now that the court has a full staff of baliffs ready to swarm in at any time.

Why did they send out like 14 guys for one dude

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

All in all this is probably a bad adaptation of the game but I'm having a lot of fun watching it for things like 14 bailiffs running in to arrest Sahwit and the sequence with Nick and Edgeworth on the beach in the OP. I hope that when this is dubbed, they edit the picture of Larry's girlfriend to be in Paris and have the Eiffel Tower in the background, and they commit to the LA setting.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah my initial impression seems largely the same as everyone else's. This is okay, better than I really expected from the trailers, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to watch this over playing the game. The game is just too good at what it does.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Episode did not have Sahwit throwing his toupee in Phoenix's face. 0/10

Actually it's a decent enough adaptation, at least it was better than what I remember of the Dangan Ronpa anime.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
This is perfectly serviceable, but I'll stand by the live-action movie as the definitive adaptation.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hi, I absolutely love Ace Attorney but haven't watched an anime in ten years. Where do I go to watch this?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Moon Slayer posted:

Hi, I absolutely love Ace Attorney but haven't watched an anime in ten years. Where do I go to watch this?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ace-attorney

You need to wait a week if you don't have a paid subscription, though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Moon Slayer posted:

Crunchyroll, a legal streaming site. It will be up for guests and non-premium members in three days.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ok, thanks!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My expectations on this were rock bottom so I was really pleasantly surprised.

Not bad, I really hope they bring in more music from the games and use it more liberally. I would've been completely fine if they just took the orchestral arrangements from the Gyakuten Meets Orchestra CDs.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

TheKingofSprings posted:

My expectations on this were rock bottom so I was really pleasantly surprised.

Not bad, I really hope they bring in more music from the games and use it more liberally. I would've been completely fine if they just took the orchestral arrangements from the Gyakuten Meets Orchestra CDs.

I'm really looking forward to hearing Turnabout Sisters in yet another remix, it's probably gonna be the only reason to watch the 2nd episode.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Does PS4 crunchyroll have sub tracks?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can't swap them on anything but the website, apparently.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Can't swap them on anything but the website, apparently.

Those names are literally going to make people renew their Crunchyroll accounts

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm looking forward to the filler, it's the true untested waters for this series

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Moltrey posted:

The animation is a little rough, but I laughed when Frank Sawhit countered Nick so hard, he flew back and Mia was like "Nick, you alright?" Please do more of that

That was pretty great. I can only imagine what shenanigans will happen when Edgeworth shows up.

I also liked the nod to Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies characters in the OP, with the chalk drawing. Not to mention the sweater.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/illegenes/status/717001589278384128

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

I'm looking forward to the filler, it's the true untested waters for this series
What makes you think we're getting filler? First episode was just the first case, straight up, and the first 3 games are already a complete story. If anything, I'd expect one or two cases to get cut for time, like the Circus Turnabout. In fact, keep all the others and just cut Circus Turnabout.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This current airing is only going to be the first two games.

We're getting circus.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rangpur posted:

What makes you think we're getting filler? First episode was just the first case, straight up, and the first 3 games are already a complete story. If anything, I'd expect one or two cases to get cut for time, like the Circus Turnabout. In fact, keep all the others and just cut Circus Turnabout.

Then it turns out that Circus Turnabout has always been a fan favorite in Japan, so they cut everything else to make it take most of the airtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

gently caress. gently caress all things

Worst Anime of 2016 Early Voting
  • Ace Attorney
  • TBD
  • TBD

• Locked thread