Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wasn't actin black, black is bad moron. Is basically this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

ArbitraryC posted:

Nope that's not at all what I said on either account.

Well you need to have a talk with your keyboard, because it's totally trying to make you look silly.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I wasn't actin black, black is bad moron. Is basically this.

same

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

Nope that's not at all what I said on either account. Literally not once in this thread have I suggested that white people shouldn't be able to wear dreads or otherwise borrow things they think are cool from other cultures. In fact I explicitely said in several posts that the lady should not have harassed the guy over his choice in hairstyle and it was dumb of her to do so. I have only discussed why people are upset and talk about the doublestandards inherent in stuff like this and what cultural appropriation means from an academic context rather than a shrieking post on a gawker affiliate.

I'm not gonna look back through this whole thread, but I'm fairly confident you've done nothing to define cultural appropriation other than allude to some scholarly articles that you've failed to provide.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

and there is not a bunch of scholarly articles talking about how they are, the topic of this thread however...

Yeah well, back in the day there were a lot of "scholarly articles" talking about how Black people were literally less evolved than whites and how they were incompatible with white society. I suspect they were written by the same sort of people who write "scholarly articles" about cultural appropriation today.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Black rappers are appropriating white 1700s Swedish slave trade culture. :colbert:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This White Feminist Loved Her Dreadlocks – Here’s Why She Cut Them Off

quote:

I let my leg and armpit hair grow long, and I let the hair on my head spiral into a nest of cords, matts, and tangles (a hairdo I would later ignorantly and appropriatively refer to as dreadlocks).

quote:

In navigating through a predominantly white, feminist punk subculture, I never gave a second thought to whether wearing my hair in dreadlocks was offensive — at least to any one other than to The Patriarchy.

Having dreadlocks was part of what allowed me to stop obsessing over my appearance.

As long as I had them, the pressure – well for me as a cis gender white woman – to achieve mainstream, heteronormative beauty standards was off the table.

quote:

I realized that I was participating in the lovely reality that, for centuries, white people have felt entitled to taking pretty much anything their hearts desire – entire continents, human bodies, land resources, and, yes, whatever cultural trappings of the communities they colonized that were thought to be intriguing at the time.

quote:

Cutting off my dreadlocks didn’t make me an instantly “good white person” or even a trustworthy ally, but it sure as hell dismantled some of the barriers that stood in the way of cultivating deep, meaningful relationships based on mutual respect, trust and solidarity.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/08/white-feminist-with-dreadlocks/

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

That double standard sucks, but wouldn't you want a bunch of people rolling around with dreads then to take away the stigma?

i think his point is more that we should try to be better people on the whole and overcome these stigmas without needing harmless-looking white kids to act as a buffer first

Applewhite posted:

Actually they were more of a caste than a class.

samurai is 100% a class

their passive is shirahadori

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 3, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

"The ability to style your hair for fashion’s sake is a luxury, not a right."

Jesus Christ lol

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frosted Flake posted:

If your hairstyle changed your ability to make deep and meaningful relationships then those relationships are not deep or meaningful and you should kill yourself.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:911: Land of the Free :911: (but you should ask someone before you make any decisions like how to wear your hair)

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

ArbitraryC posted:

Nope that's not at all what I said on either account. Literally not once in this thread have I suggested that white people shouldn't be able to wear dreads or otherwise borrow things they think are cool from other cultures. In fact I explicitely said in several posts that the lady should not have harassed the guy over his choice in hairstyle and it was dumb of her to do so. I have only discussed why people are upset and talk about the doublestandards inherent in stuff like this and what cultural appropriation means from an academic context rather than a shrieking post on a gawker affiliate.

Hey arbitrary are there any facets of "white" culture, perhaps brought to us by members of a white underclass, let's say the Irish or Jews in the late 19th century that should be off limits to non-whites, in the same vein as you melting down about some dopey college kid with dreads or God help us a white person enjoying blues or rap? Italians were brutally discriminated against, so maybe... Radio and pizza shouldn't be part of the mainstream American culture? I think you and your fellow tumblrinas might really be onto something here!

My suggestion, and I'm sure you'll agree, is a massive classification system of everything, defined by what culture it came from, and what individuals are allowed to use it. Maybe everyone take the geno 2.0 test so we make sure that we know exactly how much privilege they have to check. I'd hate for some genetically Northern European kid who gets adopted by Italian descended parent eat a slice of pizza or enjoy the fruits of the renaissance, it really would be a crime against someone somewhere or something.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Rasta_Al posted:

I'm not gonna look back through this whole thread, but I'm fairly confident you've done nothing to define cultural appropriation other than allude to some scholarly articles that you've failed to provide.

I've provided several examples of stuff that was either non-white in origin and popularized by white people or stuff that is seen/treated significantly differently when done by a minority than done by a white person. So have other people itt. Further interest could be sated by google searches but it's obvious to everyone that the people dismissing the topic completely out of hand as crazy or on the level of chemtrail conspiracies are not actually genuinely and honestly interested in expanding their views on the subject.

It's w/e, I'm not an expert and I never claimed to be I just know I have read people far more well versed in such sociological subjects than I discussing the kinds of double standards inherent to stuff like dreads and I thought it was kind of lame a bunch of people were acting like it's an absolutely non existent problem simply because they've never experienced the other side of the coin. To me people who don't believe this is an issue are the same kind of people who dismiss academic opinions on vaccines, global warming, etc. I get that to most people the only times you really see the topic discussed are via clickbait websites and dumb tumblr posts, but there are smart professors who could probably give simplified explanations that would satisfy you if you could go back in time and take some intro classes to pad out your gened requirements. I can't provide you good sources out of hand because it's been over half a decade since I was in those classes myself and is otherwise outside of the fields I went on to pursue.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

If your hairstyle changed your ability to make deep and meaningful relationships then those relationships are not deep or meaningful and you should kill yourself.

I dunno I lost a lot of friends when I shaved a swastika into the back of my head. (It was the good luck kind of swastika, not that anybody stopped judging long enough for me to explain the difference).

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

i wear a locally sourced fully body burlap sack in order to be a better ally

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Actually they were more of a caste than a class.

Thank you Dr. Semantics, almost mistook you for ArbitraryC there, I think it's because both of your names start with A

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

im gaye posted:

i wear a locally sourced fully body burlap sack in order to be a better ally

You goddamned well better be a stone age farmer or I'm taking this strait to the Grievance Board

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Frosted Flake posted:

that site is batshit insane.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This is poo poo

:goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx::goatsecx:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/03/nice-guys-arent-usually-nice/

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/horror-movie-tropes-ableist/

yay lets find insane poo poo,

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770893

I got you covered.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I wasn't surprised by the US dreadlocks row. It's another example of cultural appropriation and white entitlement
White men have worn dreadlocks in the past. But this isn't 11th Century Scandinavia, it's modern day America, where the style is still tangled up in the black struggle against white supremacy

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...l-a6964906.html
Basically if you're an African American you can feel free to reach into the grab bag of African culture whether or not it's a piece of your heritage or even vaguely understand it. If you're white and appropriate anything from another culture regardless of motive you are poo poo and we'll raise a twitter rage mob to stalk you.

"This isn't 11th century Scandanavia"
Well it's not Jamaica either, you're not Jamaican, and you're not Rastafarian.

Also dreads are gross. I've been on winter camping trips where I wasn't able to wash my hair for a week, and my short hair felt uncomfortable. I can't imagine walking around like that all the time.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Letters were invented by the Phoenicians so if you are reading this and are not Lebanese or Tunisian then please murder you are sel thanks in advance!

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Horror movies are ableist because some dumb broad always twists her ankle while running away from the murderer and this implies that people with limited mobility aren't just as capable of escaping from a killer as their limb-privileged counterparts

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Casimir Radon posted:

Basically if you're an African American you can feel free to reach into the grab bag of African culture whether or not it's a piece of your heritage or even vaguely understand it. If you're white and appropriate anything from another culture regardless of motive you are poo poo and we'll raise a twitter rage mob to stalk you.

"This isn't 11th century Scandanavia"
Well it's not Jamaica either, you're not Jamaican, and you're not Rastafarian.

Also dreads are gross. I've been on winter camping trips where I wasn't able to wash my hair for a week, and my short hair felt uncomfortable. I can't imagine walking around like that all the time.

Wrong again shitlord!

I Hate Cultural Appropriation – But Have I Appropriated African Cultures as a Black American?

quote:

Can I, as a Black American, adopt self-selected elements of African cultures without causing harm through cultural appropriation?

quote:

But when it comes to tracing my roots to Africa, the question of where I “belong” gets complicated.

The truth is, like so many other Black Americans who are not of recent African descent, there’s no easy way to understand my identity in the US.

quote:

Africa is a vast continent made of many, many different countries, tribes, ethnicities, and traditions. Is it insulting to Africans for me to group all of them together, as if “Africaness” is something tangible to connect to – or am I honoring the many different places my ancestors might have been throughout the diasporic journey leading up to my birth?

I research folklore and spiritual figures from Africa and incorporate their stories into my creative writing – but I don’t know which of those stories are really mine to tell. I borrow head wrap techniques from African fashion bloggers – but I don’t know if I share roots with them. I listen to musicians like Rokia Traoré – but I have to admit that I hardly know anything about her country of Mali, except that I like her sound.

According to my own words, this sounds an awful lot like cultural appropriation.

quote:

However, slavery destroyed the records of many of our family trees, so it’s difficult – if not impossible – for me to know which African traditions belong to my ancestry and stick to those. So it’s true that I’m picking the parts of African cultures that I like without fully understanding their significance.

This might mean that, no matter how pure my intentions, I could cause harm by adopting elements of African culture as part of my self-expression. To find out if my actions are harmful, we have to get into the details.

quote:

For me, incorporating African elements into my personal style has a much deeper meaning than a superficial fashion choice. It’s a tool for liberating myself from the pressure of assimilating to white culture, for healing my painful disconnection from my ancestry, and for recovering that lost connection in any way I can.

quote:

We can cause harm by homogenizing the entire continent of Africa as one monolithic resource to draw inspiration from. Rather than simply calling our Afrocentric expression “African,” let’s learn about the heritage and traditions we’re connecting with.

That means no longer listening to Rokia Traoré for her voice and nothing else – in order to really appreciate her as an artist, I need to know about her country, Mali, and her ethnic group, the Bambara.

quote:

I’m inspired by African head wrapping techniques – but when I use them to wrap a scarf I bought at Target, I’m just giving my money to the (mostly white) heads of corporations that profit from African designs without crediting or compensating the artists they’ve stolen from.

quote:

Through the process of learning about what I’m borrowing and getting it directly from African people, I’ll inevitably come across something that I want, but shouldn’t take.

If I find a printed fabric that would look gorgeous on my skin, for instance, it would be hard to resist making it part of my wardrobe.

But what if I find out that fabric is used to designate a revered position in a certain tribe? If I wear it outside of that context, I’d be trivializing the deep meaning the print holds for the people who created it.

quote:

As Black Americans, not everything African is ours to claim – we can leave some things alone if our position as Western people means we’re trivializing something with a sacred meaning that we can’t properly honor.

quote:

Of course, the easiest way to avoid cultural appropriation is to stick to the traditions of your own culture. Clearly, this step is complicated for Black Americans. Many of us just can’t find where in Africa our ancestors lived before they were enslaved.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/10/black-american-cultural-appropriation/

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 3, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mdm posted:

Thank you Dr. Semantics, almost mistook you for ArbitraryC there, I think it's because both of your names start with A

I'm just winding you up ;P

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

On the other hand,

Black America, please stop appropriating African clothing and tribal marks.

quote:

Can Black people culturally appropriate one other? And if Blacks can, why is the disgust and uproar surrounding this ongoing phenomenon only reserved for instances when White people appropriate us?

quote:

I ask this because Black Twitter is littered with countless examples of the uproar that ensues when White people appropriate Black culture. Words such as fancy dress, mockery and profiteering are thrown around quite freely, but no one seems to realize that this selfsame violation is committed against us Africans — all under the guise of tribal fashion and connecting to The Motherland.

quote:

You take a cultural dress, mark or trait, with all its religious and historical connotations, dilute it, and bring it out for occasions when you want to look ‘trendy’.

quote:

I know it looks cool and the wearer looks unique, but if you look at it for what it is, it’s still cultural appropriation.

It’s basically like a White Australian guy with dreadlocks, Ta moko, wearing Batik. They are all Islanders after all. So he’s not being offensive, right?

quote:

If you’re not from an African tribe, please leave off wearing the tribal marks. Otherwise you’re participating in the very thing you vehemently speak out against.

quote:

If you don’t dress like that everyday, or have any REAL affiliation, then please tell me how it isn’t fancy dress?
https://thsppl.com/black-america-please-stop-appropriating-african-clothing-and-tribal-marks-3210e65843a7#.ry8610xui

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm appropriating gay culture by being gay itt

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ArbitraryC posted:

I've provided several examples of stuff that was either non-white in origin and popularized by white people or stuff that is seen/treated significantly differently when done by a minority than done by a white person. So have other people itt. Further interest could be sated by google searches but it's obvious to everyone that the people dismissing the topic completely out of hand as crazy or on the level of chemtrail conspiracies are not actually genuinely and honestly interested in expanding their views on the subject.

It's w/e, I'm not an expert and I never claimed to be I just know I have read people far more well versed in such sociological subjects than I discussing the kinds of double standards inherent to stuff like dreads and I thought it was kind of lame a bunch of people were acting like it's an absolutely non existent problem simply because they've never experienced the other side of the coin. To me people who don't believe this is an issue are the same kind of people who dismiss academic opinions on vaccines, global warming, etc. I get that to most people the only times you really see the topic discussed are via clickbait websites and dumb tumblr posts, but there are smart professors who could probably give simplified explanations that would satisfy you if you could go back in time and take some intro classes to pad out your gened requirements. I can't provide you good sources out of hand because it's been over half a decade since I was in those classes myself and is otherwise outside of the fields I went on to pursue.

You need to get out of uni or forget bout the time you spent there. Holy poo poo.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I don't understand a world where multiculturalism and cultural appropriation are both valid and exist side by side, like how does that work do I have to check what my ethnic heritage is before I eat or get dressed or do I just not give a gently caress because I'm not a worthless lefty wanker?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

TheIllestVillain posted:

was this always the logical progression of identity politics or did something really unexpected happen cause this is the stupidest poo poo imagineable

identity politics circles in on itself into obsession with authenticity and purity, the domain of fascism. if you believe that there is a specific pure, ideal identity and there are others who represent impure identities then one of the battles is to rid yourself and the ideal culture of the impurities. This can lead to nationalism, separatism, xenophobia and ultimately eliminationism/fascism.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

That is one dreadful site. It's like the worst parts of Cracked and XO Jane combined.

AdolfHitler
Mar 21, 2009
Corey.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm appropriating gay culture by being gay itt
I like showtunes but I'm incredibly straight.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SEX BURRITO posted:

That is one dreadful site. It's like the worst parts of Cracked and XO Jane combined.
Opened an articles about Western Society gaslights minority groups. Was not disappointed.

As a witch and a non-binary person, I’m used to being told that what I am simply doesn’t exist – that my lived experiences, my identities, my very notion of reality is impossible.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Casimir Radon posted:

I like showtunes but I'm incredibly straight.

Hmm are you sure you're not catfishing yourself

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Imagine being that upset over some smelly dude with dreads. She's in San Fran too, she probably passes a bunch of filthy smelly white cis dudes with dreads who are all muttering to themselves and taking dumps on the sidewalks because of San Fran's wildly unequal divide between rich and poor and the insane amount of homeless and mentally ill; I hope she can explain their privilege to them too, she must be very busy. :angel:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Wrong again shitlord!

I Hate Cultural Appropriation – But Have I Appropriated African Cultures as a Black American?

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/10/black-american-cultural-appropriation/

this sounds like cultural segregation. so because you dont know exactly where long dead ancestors were born, dont try anything.

Frosted Flake posted:

On the other hand,

Black America, please stop appropriating African clothing and tribal marks.

https://thsppl.com/black-america-please-stop-appropriating-african-clothing-and-tribal-marks-3210e65843a7#.ry8610xui

meanwhile most of the people living in africa dont give a flying gently caress what some westerner wears or does.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There are about 4 articles on interracial relationships, all with wildly opposed viewpoints.

Essentially since identity politics creates a hierarchy of privilege it's crucial for them to agonize over the most oppressed person in a relationship.

A black man has male privilege but the white woman he is dating has white privilege. The simplest solution is that it doesn't matter, but since that's unacceptable there are all kinds of arguments about who exactly benefits from Colonialism vs The Patriarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

This one isn't too bad because holy poo poo do horror movies treat the mentally disabled/ill badly. It's a crutch and this actually does point out three dumb things they do. I only looked at the numbers and not the reasoning to be fair.

Basically in horror movies if you're mentally ill/disabled you're probably a murderer or will be treated like one. Sometimes this is subverted by having this person be the mistrusted savior but not always. If there's an asylum it's gonna be a rehash of the atrocities committed in early American asylums, lobotomies and abuse and poo poo like that.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 4, 2016

• Locked thread