Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CJacobs posted:

lol that the lady grabs him and then backs up and goes "don't put your hands on me! don't you put your hands on me" when she notices there's a camera

Feels like she was setting him up. Her word and her friend as a witness? Easy to believe without a camera she'd claim there was a physical altercation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wasn't surprised by the US dreadlocks row. It's another example of cultural appropriation and white entitlement
White men have worn dreadlocks in the past. But this isn't 11th Century Scandinavia, it's modern day America, where the style is still tangled up in the black struggle against white supremacy

quote:

As the black actress Amandla Stenberg says, “appropriation occurs when the appropriator is not aware of the deep significance of the culture that they are partaking in”. By wearing dreadlocks without acknowledging their symbolic resistance, Goldstein reduces cultural power to a “cool” trend. As part of the oppressive culture, he emulates minority tradition while bypassing the discriminations that comes with it.

quote:

“My hair, my rules, my body”, Goldstein asserts, displaying a deep sense of entitlement. Sure, it’s only hair, and it is his hair to style. But does he have the right to style it in a way that has a deep cultural meaning to minority cultures? The ability to style your hair for fashion’s sake is a luxury, not a right. If it is offending others, Goldstein should consider giving up that luxury.

quote:

Goldstein reveals no political or spiritual reason for wearing dreads, apart from his claim that he “loves and respects [African American] culture”. It is possible, however, to respect culture without taking from it; you can raise awareness of its oppression and educate yourself.

quote:

Goldstein’s expression of white entitlement affirms her gloomy message. He’s taken from a minority culture and defends his actions by the same justifications used time and time again. Rather than showing “love and respect” in his way, Goldstein ought to talk to some African Americans about what dreadlocks really mean to them.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...l-a6964906.html

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This White Feminist Loved Her Dreadlocks – Here’s Why She Cut Them Off

quote:

I let my leg and armpit hair grow long, and I let the hair on my head spiral into a nest of cords, matts, and tangles (a hairdo I would later ignorantly and appropriatively refer to as dreadlocks).

quote:

In navigating through a predominantly white, feminist punk subculture, I never gave a second thought to whether wearing my hair in dreadlocks was offensive — at least to any one other than to The Patriarchy.

Having dreadlocks was part of what allowed me to stop obsessing over my appearance.

As long as I had them, the pressure – well for me as a cis gender white woman – to achieve mainstream, heteronormative beauty standards was off the table.

quote:

I realized that I was participating in the lovely reality that, for centuries, white people have felt entitled to taking pretty much anything their hearts desire – entire continents, human bodies, land resources, and, yes, whatever cultural trappings of the communities they colonized that were thought to be intriguing at the time.

quote:

Cutting off my dreadlocks didn’t make me an instantly “good white person” or even a trustworthy ally, but it sure as hell dismantled some of the barriers that stood in the way of cultivating deep, meaningful relationships based on mutual respect, trust and solidarity.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/08/white-feminist-with-dreadlocks/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770893

I got you covered.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Casimir Radon posted:

Basically if you're an African American you can feel free to reach into the grab bag of African culture whether or not it's a piece of your heritage or even vaguely understand it. If you're white and appropriate anything from another culture regardless of motive you are poo poo and we'll raise a twitter rage mob to stalk you.

"This isn't 11th century Scandanavia"
Well it's not Jamaica either, you're not Jamaican, and you're not Rastafarian.

Also dreads are gross. I've been on winter camping trips where I wasn't able to wash my hair for a week, and my short hair felt uncomfortable. I can't imagine walking around like that all the time.

Wrong again shitlord!

I Hate Cultural Appropriation – But Have I Appropriated African Cultures as a Black American?

quote:

Can I, as a Black American, adopt self-selected elements of African cultures without causing harm through cultural appropriation?

quote:

But when it comes to tracing my roots to Africa, the question of where I “belong” gets complicated.

The truth is, like so many other Black Americans who are not of recent African descent, there’s no easy way to understand my identity in the US.

quote:

Africa is a vast continent made of many, many different countries, tribes, ethnicities, and traditions. Is it insulting to Africans for me to group all of them together, as if “Africaness” is something tangible to connect to – or am I honoring the many different places my ancestors might have been throughout the diasporic journey leading up to my birth?

I research folklore and spiritual figures from Africa and incorporate their stories into my creative writing – but I don’t know which of those stories are really mine to tell. I borrow head wrap techniques from African fashion bloggers – but I don’t know if I share roots with them. I listen to musicians like Rokia Traoré – but I have to admit that I hardly know anything about her country of Mali, except that I like her sound.

According to my own words, this sounds an awful lot like cultural appropriation.

quote:

However, slavery destroyed the records of many of our family trees, so it’s difficult – if not impossible – for me to know which African traditions belong to my ancestry and stick to those. So it’s true that I’m picking the parts of African cultures that I like without fully understanding their significance.

This might mean that, no matter how pure my intentions, I could cause harm by adopting elements of African culture as part of my self-expression. To find out if my actions are harmful, we have to get into the details.

quote:

For me, incorporating African elements into my personal style has a much deeper meaning than a superficial fashion choice. It’s a tool for liberating myself from the pressure of assimilating to white culture, for healing my painful disconnection from my ancestry, and for recovering that lost connection in any way I can.

quote:

We can cause harm by homogenizing the entire continent of Africa as one monolithic resource to draw inspiration from. Rather than simply calling our Afrocentric expression “African,” let’s learn about the heritage and traditions we’re connecting with.

That means no longer listening to Rokia Traoré for her voice and nothing else – in order to really appreciate her as an artist, I need to know about her country, Mali, and her ethnic group, the Bambara.

quote:

I’m inspired by African head wrapping techniques – but when I use them to wrap a scarf I bought at Target, I’m just giving my money to the (mostly white) heads of corporations that profit from African designs without crediting or compensating the artists they’ve stolen from.

quote:

Through the process of learning about what I’m borrowing and getting it directly from African people, I’ll inevitably come across something that I want, but shouldn’t take.

If I find a printed fabric that would look gorgeous on my skin, for instance, it would be hard to resist making it part of my wardrobe.

But what if I find out that fabric is used to designate a revered position in a certain tribe? If I wear it outside of that context, I’d be trivializing the deep meaning the print holds for the people who created it.

quote:

As Black Americans, not everything African is ours to claim – we can leave some things alone if our position as Western people means we’re trivializing something with a sacred meaning that we can’t properly honor.

quote:

Of course, the easiest way to avoid cultural appropriation is to stick to the traditions of your own culture. Clearly, this step is complicated for Black Americans. Many of us just can’t find where in Africa our ancestors lived before they were enslaved.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/10/black-american-cultural-appropriation/

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 3, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

On the other hand,

Black America, please stop appropriating African clothing and tribal marks.

quote:

Can Black people culturally appropriate one other? And if Blacks can, why is the disgust and uproar surrounding this ongoing phenomenon only reserved for instances when White people appropriate us?

quote:

I ask this because Black Twitter is littered with countless examples of the uproar that ensues when White people appropriate Black culture. Words such as fancy dress, mockery and profiteering are thrown around quite freely, but no one seems to realize that this selfsame violation is committed against us Africans — all under the guise of tribal fashion and connecting to The Motherland.

quote:

You take a cultural dress, mark or trait, with all its religious and historical connotations, dilute it, and bring it out for occasions when you want to look ‘trendy’.

quote:

I know it looks cool and the wearer looks unique, but if you look at it for what it is, it’s still cultural appropriation.

It’s basically like a White Australian guy with dreadlocks, Ta moko, wearing Batik. They are all Islanders after all. So he’s not being offensive, right?

quote:

If you’re not from an African tribe, please leave off wearing the tribal marks. Otherwise you’re participating in the very thing you vehemently speak out against.

quote:

If you don’t dress like that everyday, or have any REAL affiliation, then please tell me how it isn’t fancy dress?
https://thsppl.com/black-america-please-stop-appropriating-african-clothing-and-tribal-marks-3210e65843a7#.ry8610xui

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There are about 4 articles on interracial relationships, all with wildly opposed viewpoints.

Essentially since identity politics creates a hierarchy of privilege it's crucial for them to agonize over the most oppressed person in a relationship.

A black man has male privilege but the white woman he is dating has white privilege. The simplest solution is that it doesn't matter, but since that's unacceptable there are all kinds of arguments about who exactly benefits from Colonialism vs The Patriarchy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How to be a queer special snowflake, even if you're in a straight relationship
http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/03/maintaining-queer-id/

How to date outside your race (if you have to)
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/08/white-person-dating-poc/
http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/10/talk-race-white-boyfriend/

You should date outside your race
http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/11/racial-preferences-are-racist/

Well maybe not
http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/09/navigate-multicultural-relationship/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

White women taking all the strong black men = bad.

Black women dating (being oppressed by) white men = bad.

Not dating black people = bad.

See, it makes total sense!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ArbitraryC posted:

The comprehensive list:
-nothing as that's not what the actual issue is about

What is the actual issue? What ethnicities are entitled to which culture?

Are Black Seminoles African-American or Native American? Should they be allowed to have the rights and privileges of band members while failing the band's blood quantum?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chinese businessmen in China wear suits so idk - either the White man has conquered the world or the Han finally felt bad about appropriating the queue from the Manchu.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh I thought you were going to say the effete hairsplitting idiots were the ones trying to wear people out, not the okay people, what a switcharoo

Quite the reversal eh?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fire Barrel posted:

This is actually similar to some of the things that plague particular areas of historical study. Even well meaning people can effectively remove agency from groups by simplifying their role in particular periods to that of victims and victims alone.

That said, this was a solid read and very well articulated.

There was pretty big controversy about papers on the Judean Revolt and the Maccebean Revolt that made comparisons to the Iranian Revolution. Turns out in both cases most of the violence was perpetuated against fellow Jews not Romans or Greeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

5er posted:

Someone send that girl to Tokyo so she can yell at all the businessmen in 3-piece suits for culturally appropriating the West.

B-b-but Colonialism!!

• Locked thread