Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
To be somewhat fair to those mods im guessing the posts consisted only of those acronyms used in a pithy dismissive sort of way which is a pretty toxic style of posting imo. Its like a race to the bottom in who can care less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

To be somewhat fair to those mods im guessing the posts consisted only of those acronyms used in a pithy dismissive sort of way which is a pretty toxic style of posting imo. Its like a race to the bottom in who can care less.
lol

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

various cheeses posted:

GBS was hilarious right after the 2.0 rules came in. It was like a dam burst and all the pent up anger came flooding into the forum. It was a wild ride boy I tell ya whut.

it was actually pretty bad because there were a bunch of people who really just wanted to say friend of the family, human being, oval office, etc over and over again because it was previously against the rules. the administration correctly predicted this would fall off after a couple weeks though and there was certainly some cool content to come in the following months. The first week sucked though and it's pretty selective memory of the people who liked it to ignore the threads that were literally just a title of slurs followed by a post of slurs.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i dont think it was so much that ppl wanted to say friend of the family human being etc for their own sake, i saw it as a push back against the very vocal minority of posters that got butthurt every time somebody liked a game with boob armor or something

that poo poo was, and is, tiresome and it shouldnt be a surprise that people hated in general

yeah that's basically what the mods said when people complained about it, that it was largely pushback and people would get bored of just typing slurs over and over again pretty quickly. The mods were right about that and it mostly died off without any rules needing to be made, but there was a short period where there was some pretty awful looking content if you ignore the context of the situation.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
any trackers to compare gbs traffic before and after the transformation because if I had to hazard a guess we have less people now than we did then. Not that the two are correlated necessarily just that I think people tend to exaggerate a bit how much gbs 1.0 was hated, certainly modern gbs posters wouldn't like it but the people who did like it are long gone now.

Anecdotally I never really remember recognizing more than a few very prolific posters because there were so many people always coming and going, nowdays it's almost less common for me to see someone I don't recognize posting.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

it also prob has something to do with reddit conquering the internet but i dont know for sure

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770893

modern gbs pretty much is redditors that don't like the site format

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Shaquin posted:

arbitrary c yer little game of dancing around the issue of wanting to fade into the immense boring obscurity of d&d lite while taking little jabs and asking little pointed questions might ring true if you didn't whine incessantly in qcs in a different manner

I whined mostly about the overt racism and sexism when gbs originally changed and the mods said people would get bored of it and they did, if you wanna hear me say I was wrong then I was wrong. For the most part I do enjoy new gbs but I do still kind of miss the old rss it used to have going as well as the content threads that probably now end up it in other subforums. The idea that we don't have cliques now though simply because they aren't overtly tied to some bad mods is p laughable though.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

tenspott posted:

I like you you just straight up admit you're a whiner.

i've been called many things but indirect ain't one of them

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Wicker Man posted:

So why were all the crew threads taken out?

Even when there were no rules mods never seemed to like megathreads. tbh it's not something I ever understood, if people are posting regularly and not breaking the rules why stop them but I think the general explanation is something along the lines of them being too insular.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Vargs posted:

90% of all jokes in oldgbs were garbage puns that plagued the first 4 pages of every RSS news thread, at which point they petered out and the thread blossomed into a competition to see who could be the most pedantic and outraged person in the entire world. once the thread became completely unreadable by the general population, all that was left was 3-4 idiots making the same circular arguments in the format of 1,000-word posts
looks like you'll never be the head of a major corporation

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

ppl are just as wary of gbs now as they used to be but for different reasons. instead of the threat of probation over a comma splice, now if youre a poo poo youll get called a poo poo and you gotta nut up or shut up. or just keep on, whatever

this is obviously unacceptable to a lot of something awful posters
eh it's part that but also part

Dorkopotamis posted:

The current trend of internet humor is loving weak and mired in a too-cool-to-care tone that is tired and boring. The lovely thing about trying is that if you try and fail, that feels bad.

I can think of a bunch of gold threads in old gbs like that dude who worked at an expensive hotel and had some amazing but probably fake stories about his life that people would certainly spend more time making GBS threads on nowadays as stdh than simply enjoying the solid writing. When a lot of the social jockeying on this forum revolves around making fun of other people it's no surprise no one wants to stick their neck out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

this is 100% accurate

When's the last time you saw a good story thread because I remember there being at least 1 active at pretty much all times in old gbs, closest I've seen in recent times was probably isaac's moonshine thread

• Locked thread