Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

We should get our Jump Ship Into the black nebula before charging: hopefully it's sensor dulling properties will hide it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman

"Of course it had to be these guys. Of loving course. Nothing can ever be simple, can it?"

Helm: East 3
--We don't know what that thing is yet, but I suppose we can determine it after the fact. If it's worthless or dangerous we just dump it. Normally would not do something this risky, but we are suddenly strapped for time.
Weapons: No Shooting
Damage Control: Nothing
Sensors: Deep Scan Nebula
--Scanning the two nebulas we have left is one of our primary objectives. Let's focus on them instead of the optionals.
Engineering: Divert power to Sensors
--Let's cross the comm-jammer nebula out of our to-do list.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer

Oh we CAN take a Nebula Sample? Wonderful! Wonderful! Let's take some Qura'xxo Clade-tissue whilst we are at it, da? Just a leetle sample! For experiment! :D

Oh but where too first? Is Sample here, sample there! And why didn't those phasons fire?! Via! How are system running? We seem to be having problem! Please run diagnostic yes? OK :)

====================STARSHIP CONTROL====================
[Helm]
East 3 - Run into the cloud yes this is the best choice! For Science!!
[Weapons]
F12 - Maybe it was stickiness of trigger? We try again!
[Damage Control]
Run Diagnostics on everything!! - Just to be sure ;)
[Sensors]
Deep Scan Nebula! - Biggest scan please, for to see the science!
[Engineering]
Divert power to Sensors - Like with space-glasses, you must remember putting them on face!
[Comms]
Hey Sarama did you hear joke? Is one day man appear in space, tomorrow, in pieces Ahahaha!

Oh hey Hey the Brad is it safe for to come down to cargo yes? I just need to find my ultra-spectrometer again! Would lose head if not screwed on yes?
By the by do you have any extra screws?
[Sarama]
Keep on the down-low yes? Not to spool the engines but maybe check out unknown at J 04? We meet later! Is good!

=========================================================

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 11, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Via! How are system running? We seem to be having problem! Please run diagnostic yes? OK :)

quote:

Oh.. Uh.. Your shoot order was outweighed by a number of other votes ordering the weapons station to take not action. But I will ask the OSC to run a diagnostic just in case...

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===========CCS========================
[Helm]
(2)south(4,3)
(2)East(3,3)
Rolloff = 9 (East Wins)
[Weapons]
(2) No Action
(1) F-12
[Damage Control]
(1) Diagnostics
[n/a]
[Sensors]
(2) Nebula
(1)B-14
Engineering
(2)Engines
(2)Sensors

---------------------------------------------

quote:

Nebula analyzed! As we thought, the property of this nebula makes scanning objects through or inside it nearly impossible. It does appear though that our sensors operate well enough at close range to identify objects ((1 square)) away. In the course of deep scanning the nebula we were also able to identify a Sample, which is being loaded now.

Comms posted:

[To Sarama]Keep on the down-low yes? Not to spool the engines but maybe check out unknown at J 04? We meet later! Is good!

Sarama posted:

Sure thing… Give me a minute to get out of the black.

[To GAR'XX'TUUR] We've only just arrived, on a mission from the Human Alliance to discover what the hell happened here. We would like to formally ask for your protection. Whoever did this might still be around, and we'd feel a lot safer if we could count on you .

[To GAR'XX'TUUR] There has been a Major incident at the Core which we are investigating. This sector was the closest safe distance we could get to to investigate. As you can no doubt tell, the damage has been extensive, debris reaching all the way here. We are gathering samples of the debris and will be returning to our sector shortly once we are done. If this is your home sector, is there anything we can do to provide assistance while we are here?

Gar'xx't'ur posted:

>>>>WHERE IS MY?>>>>AH>>I HAVE FOUND IT><

>>YOU ARE CORRECT>>>TO SEEK MY PROTECTION>>HOWEVER YOU HAVE YET TO PROVE YOU MERIT IT>>>>
>>MY MANY>MANY>EYES>>ARE NOW FOCUSED WITH >EXACTING> SCRUTINY ON YOUR CLAIMS>>>
>>ALSO CONSPICUOUS IS YOUR>>>ABJECT FAILURE>>>TO APOLOGIZE>>>>PROPERLY>>>>FOR TRESPASSING IN MY HOME>><

----

[To Rain|Hand]
>>ALSO >>>>LIGHT CREATURES>>>>YOU FAIL TO ANSWER AT A->

>>WAIT>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DID YOU JUST>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DEEP SCAN>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ONE OF MY SHIPS???>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<

quote:

Here is the analysis of a Qura'xxo ship from Rain|Hand:

I am assuming they are all this same model.

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVES=============================
Retrieve at least 4 Samples [4/4] COMPLETE!

Scan nebula types:
[Orange:1/1](Hazardous)
[Blue:1/1](Inhibits movement)
[Black:1/1](Inhibits scanning)
[Red:0/1]
------------------------------------------------
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Retrieve additional Samples [1/4]
Scan 'Dark Orange' Nebula [1/1] COMPLETE!
Obtain a 'Dark Orange' Nebula Sample[0/1]

=======================================================

Sarama - Start Charging Jump Drive? (Yes or No)

===========STARSHIP CONTROL========================
[Helm]
- Choose a direction- (North, South, East West)
- Choose a speed- (0-3) (defaults to full speed)
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair-
[Sensors]
-Chose an object to scan-
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
-Say whatever to whoever-
======================================
All players welcome! :)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

"OH THANK GOD it wasn't a bomb. Also, we REALLY need to invest in another one of these exosuits in case one of them gets... uhh... sweaty. yeah, sweaty."

"As for the situation outdoors, I suppose it's good the jellies took the heat instead of us? But, uh, let's not stick around TOO long."

Helm: North 4
--From this spot we can either go East to scan the red Nebula ASAP, or detour West to grab a sample of the orange Nebula
Sensors: Scan Object at L09
--Might as well scan something and this is near the route we should take.
Engineering: Divert power to Engines

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Still thinking about what to do, but if we're going to boost north, might as well go full 6. It might be possible to pull in a sample of the dark orange nebula in with a tractor beam next turn, and we still have the red nebula directly to the east that way.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

my dad posted:

Still thinking about what to do, but if we're going to boost north, might as well go full 6. It might be possible to pull in a sample of the dark orange nebula in with a tractor beam next turn, and we still have the red nebula directly to the east that way.

Thing is, we will have two tiles of the movement blocker on our way instead of just one.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
True, but we get a completed secondary objective and some extra distance from mister(?) Itchy Trigger Fingers instead.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

If we rush east and *sigh* through the acid nebula, we can swing north and enter the red nebula with three moves. If the Sarama stays close, we'll be able to scan the nebula on the way out and hightail it with one last move, before those pricks will have a chance to get within range. Sarama, do you copy?

Helm: East 6
Weapons: no bullet
Sensors: L-9 sure why not
Engineering: Power to engines

Coms: Qura'xxo Podships - Holy crap watch out for that orange nebula! drat, if we'd known you were unshielded we'd have warned you about that earlier, it'll Wreck Your poo poo.

Yeah we'd have a tactical advantage if they damaged themselves before engaging us, but you know what's a better tactical advantage? Not engaging them at all, this is a surveying mission not a combat one. Let them avoid the orange nebulae and that'll buy us a bit more time.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Sheesh Malda. If you like the hivers so much, why don't we send you on a diplomatic mission?"

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

"I'm not a big fan of being outnumbered eight to two in hostile territory, alright? If playing nicey-nice with them buys us some time to scram, we'd be stupid not to do it. Or bloodthirsty I guess, but that goes both ways and I like my blood where it is.

By the way, great job sending us out here without a cover story, High Command. Or briefing us on Qura'xxo etiquette for that matter. VIA, do you know what sort of apology they're looking for?"

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 12, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Abyssal Squid posted:

VIA, do you know what sort of apology they're looking for?"

quote:

I'm not certain, honestly.
Mentity personalities can vary as widely as human ones, and Qura'xxo culture is poorly understood. Personally I suspect this Mentity might be somewhat, uh, Unstable. This aggression could even be a fear reaction? Hard for me to say, unfortunately.
It's hard enough to tell what humans are thinking much of the time, let alone multiplex aliens.

I'm sure you'll think of something though!

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

my dad posted:

(This sounds like a plan I can get behind)

Jack Rafferty, Comms Officer

"Seriously, they want an apology for being here? It's not like we landed the ship on their front porch and pissed in their Space-Ade or something. Wait.... is the dark orange nebula what they're refering to? They did appear after we went into it..."

[VIA] Could they be refering to the dark orange nebula as their home for whatever reason? Also, which are we friendlier with in terms of alliance, Qura'xxo or the Scintillans? Ya know, just in case a shoot out happens.

[Helm] North 6
[Weapons] No Target, but keep ready
[Damage Control] Nothing yet
[Sensors] J04
[Engineering] Power to Engines
[Comms]Open traffic
-<GAR'XX'T'UUR> We were not under the impression that visiting those we were allied with warranted apology, but if we are mistaken on that part, we do offer our most humblest of apologies to you and yours.

[Sarama] No Charge

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Might be best not to notify him that the disco rocks shared their sensor results with us. :v:

[Helm] North 6
[Engineering] Engines
[Weapons] Nah
[Damage Control] Meh
[Sensors] J04

[Comms]
<GAR'XX'TUUR> There is precious little time for niceties. It is extremely dangerous to be here, and if you haven't noticed, one of your ships is being melted by an acid cloud. Please slow down and avoid the nebulas. Our ships are tough enough to survive them, but if I recall what the academy teaches about your ship designs correctly, you are in no shape to survive prolonged exposure. And please excuse the discoballs and their deep scanning, they're not exactly the bravest group in the galaxy, and you did just threaten to painfully kill them.

<Rain|Hand> Whatever you do, don't initiate hostilities. We won't die to save you in a fight you started, but if the newcomer opens fire on you, you can count on our firepower to be on your side.

<Sarama> Do you guys have a plan or suggestion in case fireworks break out? Other than "Charge the jump engines", obviously.

my dad fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 13, 2016

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judith Chiang, Nav Officer

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

[Helm] North 6
[Weapons] No Target, but keep ready
[Damage Control] Nothing yet
[Sensors] J04
[Engineering] Power to Engines
Good thinking, Jack.

VIA, will our tractor beam work on a nebula?

Comms:
<Sarama>: How many clear subsectors do you need for a jump lane?

<GAR'XX'TUUR>: It wasn't our intention to intrude upon your territory. However, due to the urgent situation in this sector, we felt it necessary to provide immediate emergency assistance. We continue to search in the hope of finding survivors or of learning anything that could help prevent further destruction. We will continue to abide by the terms of the human treaties with the Qura'xxo. We're sending information about an unusual piece of debris we found, it's not familiar to us but perhaps it may help you find out who was active in this area before the disaster struck. Given the timing of your arrival and to prevent any possible misunderstanding we're curious, does the dark orange nebula have special significance to you?

<Rain|Hand>: The Human Alliance has a treaty with the Qura'xxo in this sector, and breaking it would probably get everyone on the Lacustrine court-martialed. So please don't antagonize them unless you're planning to do it solo.

HBar fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 13, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

HBar posted:

VIA, will our tractor beam work on a nebula?

quote:

It should have no problem operating inside the nebula.
...Oh.. If you mean will it pull part of a nebula to the ship? No, unfortunately.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

Could they be refering to the dark orange nebula as their home for whatever reason? Also, which are we friendlier with in terms of alliance, Qura'xxo or the Scintillans? Ya know, just in case a shoot out happens.

quote:

I think they are just referring to the whole area as their home, Qura'xxo are very territorial. The Dark orange nebula is unlike anything I have records on, and so was probably a by product of the Core Event.

Between the Scintillans and the Qura'xxo, the Scintillans are have far closer ties to the Human Alliance; they are frequent trade partners and we have had an amiable relationship with them for centuries.

The 'alliance' with the Qura'xxo could be far better characterized as a nonaggression pact. Historically, when faced with overwhelming opposition in a particular area, the Qura'xxo will usually agree to a ceasefire… Though usually they are eventually broken.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 13, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Aw, damnit. :(

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(4)North(4,6,6,6)
(1)East(6)
[Weapons]
(2)[n/a]
[Damage Control]
[n/a]
[Sensors]
(3) J-04
(2) L-09
Engineering
(5)Engines

Comms posted:

[To Qura'xxo Podships] - Holy crap watch out for that orange nebula! drat, if we'd known you were unshielded we'd have warned you about that earlier, it'll Wreck Your poo poo.

[To GAR'XX'T'UUR] We were not under the impression that visiting those we were allied with warranted apology, but if we are mistaken on that part, we do offer our most humblest of apologies to you and yours.

[To GAR'XX'TUUR] There is precious little time for niceties. It is extremely dangerous to be here, and if you haven't noticed, one of your ships is being melted by an acid cloud. Please slow down and avoid the nebulas. Our ships are tough enough to survive them, but if I recall what the academy teaches about your ship designs correctly, you are in no shape to survive prolonged exposure. And please excuse the discoballs and their deep scanning, they're not exactly the bravest group in the galaxy, and you did just threaten to painfully kill them.

quote:

>>YES>>>>HUMAN GENIUS>>>> I >>>NOTED>>> PARTS OF MY SHIP BOILING OFF INTO SPACE>>THANK YOU><
>>>THAT WAS>>'SARCASM'>>>BY THE WAY> ASSUMING YOU>>SINGLEBRAINS>>UNDERSTAND SUCH A NUANCED>QURA'XXO>CONCEPT><
>>>YOUR APOLOGIES ARE INDEED HUMBLE>> BUT DESPITE THEIR >>>GLARING INADEQUACY>>> I ACCEPT THEM><
> NOW, IN RETURN FOR MY >FORBEARANCE> I DEMAND YOUR ASSISTANCE IN RETRIEVING ANYTHING >>VALUABLE>> IN THE DEBRIS FIELD, AND CONVEYING IT TO MY >>CARRIER VESSEL>>
THEN YOU WILL >>>LEAVE>>><

[To Sarama] Do you guys have a plan or suggestion in case fireworks break out? Other than "Charge the jump engines", obviously.
[To Sarama] How many clear subsectors do you need for a jump lane?

Sarama posted:

Well, I can lend a hand in a fight, but I can say from experience that JumpCarriers make juicy targets, so I'd like to stay out of it as much as I can. If it comes down to shooting I'll help out, but my main objective will be to not get in a position I can't get out of, so expect me to stay on the edges as much as possible.

As far as Jumpway; Piggybacking you lot, I can probably do it in 3. I can still move while charging the drive, so unless we're really penned in, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

[To Rain|Hand] The Human Alliance has a treaty with the Qura'xxo in this sector, and breaking it would probably get everyone on the Lacustrine court-martialed. So please don't antagonize them unless you're planning to do it solo.

quote:

[Qura'xxo][attack][Scintillan][Percentage(100)][<END>]
[i/we:][want][ready][<END>]

Scan nebula types:
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Obtain a 'Dark Orange' Nebula Sample[0/1]

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Wow nice decision making guys. Now we get to trawl through two squares of interference nebula instead of just one to get to the red nebula, all the while getting yelled at by Mr. Spacegrump here."

Helm: West 2
--Might as well take this sample since we came all this way to take it. Even though I do loathe working with gaseous unknowns. Janitorial closet #14 is still off-limits because I never quite got the smell of Phorylazzian Multi-Funk out of there.
Sensors: Scan object at O6
--Might as well, we are going to that direction at some point.
Engineering: Divert power to Comm
--We should probably inform our home sector of the unduly aggressive behavior of our 'friends' at some point.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
On the bright side, we're on track for grabbing an extra sample. :v:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

VIA posted:

... Curiously, the ice cream machine is drawing 24,3% more power than expected.

Do you know anything about that?

Yes! I borrowed it for experiment! The experiment was icecream. :D
Now is able to make icrecream out of anythink! Maybe even Nebula? We find out yes!?

====================STARSHIP CONTROL====================
[Helm] - 2 West
[Weapons] - No weapons, is sad :(
[Damage Control] - Keep up the scan!
[Sensors] - Deep Scan 06
[Engineering] - Power to Sensors please!
[Comms] - Hey Sarama! Looks like parts of a spaceship drifting at J4, could you deep scan it for me please thank you? I wonder whose it was!?

=========================================================

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"I swear to any number of gods Ivana if you manage to break our ice cream machine, the only question you'll get an answer to is 'What is the fastest way to make the ship's crew lynch you.'"

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Now is able to make icrecream out of anythink! Maybe even Nebula? We find out yes!?

"Wait. waitwaitwaitwait.... You did what now to the Ice cream machine? Ohgod... Is. Is that why it tasted like.... and the color... ohno.... " *Violent retching until the comm channel closes*

...In Order...
[Weapons] Is there anyway to target a location INSIDE the ship?
[Damage Control] The Ice Cream machine is in dire needs of repair.
[Engineering] Power to Sensors.
[Sensors] O06
[Helm] West 2
[Comms]Open traffic

[Sarama] No Charge

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

[Helm] - 2 West
[Sensors] - Scan O6
[Engineering] - Tractor Beam on C5
– The debris might be interesting to look at, and the Qura'xxo will think we're complying with the request to gather valuables for them.
And don't forget to grab the dark orange sample this time.

Jump drive: No charge yet. Soon.

[Comms]:
[To Rain|Hand]: If you're headed through that red nebula, we'd appreciate scan data on it. And, uh, do you want us to send a copy of your data to the next Scintillans we meet, just in case?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mick Telford, Junior Tactical Officer Second Class

"Wait...ice cream out of... anything? Remind me to scan my sundaes for solid hydrocarbon waste from now on. I do like the black cherry but now I'm concerned that next time it won't be cherries at all. Anyway, despite our shielding and firepower I'm pretty confident the hivers will end up causing an incident so I just want you lot to know ahead of time that Jack just puked all over the comm station and might be out of touch for a minute or two while he dry heaves. Seriously, it looks like an antelope humping a--" clears throat "moving swiftly on. I've got good readings on the hiver pods. Wing Alpha is heading straight for us and I expect Wing Beta to interdict and assault the Rain|Hand in roughly twenty seconds. These pods aren't jump capable so I'll hazard a guess that their jumpcarrier or equivalent is somewhere in the adjacent sector's north-west quadrant."

[Helm] West 2

[Weapons] No Target, Standby

[Damage control] Standby

[Sensors] Scan object O6

[Engineering] Full Power to Sensors.

[Comms] Recommend commburst to HomeSec regarding arrival of Qura'xxo

[Jump Drive] Standby.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Jack Coker Electronic Warfare Officer

Hey guys I'm back from sick bay what did I miss.... Oh for fucks sake why?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

cokerpilot posted:

Jack Coker Electronic Warfare Officer

Hey guys I'm back from sick bay what did I miss.... Oh for fucks sake why?

"Yeah I don't think those are raisins in the rum and raisin any more..."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(5) West(2,2,2,2,2)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
(1) Ice Cream Superdispensor
[Sensors]
(5)O-6
Engineering
(3)Sensors
(1)Comms
(1)Tractor (C-5)

Comms posted:

[to Rain|Hand] If you're headed through that red nebula, we'd appreciate scan data on it. And, uh, do you want us to send a copy of your data to the next Scintillans we meet, just in case?

Rain|Hand posted:

[I/we will:][avoid][unknown][nebula][<END>]
[share][data][yes, please][<END>]

quote:

Some crew were advocating contacting the HASN high command to report on the Qura'xxo. Doing so will require an Engineering Boost to Comms, as well as a message to be pulsed.
This message must be under 150 characters due to the distance the the type of comms equipment we have. (Or 100 if the message is to be encrypted)
You could also have Sarama send the message, though the limitations would be the same.

Scan nebula types:
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Obtain a 'Dark Orange' Nebula Sample[1/1] COMPLETE!

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
Comms

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"Blurg.... " :barf: "Dammit, Ivana. Don't you touch anything related to our foodstocks again... I will hunt you down. And I'm sure maintenance will help..."

...In Order...
[VIA] Is it at all possible for us to fulfill the remaining secondary objective? Perhaps if Sarama has cargo space enough to hold a sample?

[Weapons] No target... not for lack of motivation.
[Damage Control] Nothing other than that ice cream machine.
[Engineering] Power to Comms.
[Sensors] Nothing.
[Helm] East 3

[Sarama] No Charge. "Hey, you guys have any cargo space there? Enough for one of these samples, perhaps? If so, we may need you guys to pick up one of these samples we've identified to complete some secondary objectives for our mission."

[Comms]Encrypted connection to HASN Command

<<HEADER WITH ENCRYPTION KEY>> HA Frigate Lacustrine 9316-SA to HASN Command
<<MESSAGE AS FOLLOWS>>
Potential hostile Qura'xxo Mentity on intercept
claims nonhostile
Ship VIA suspects Mentity unstable
Please Advise

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

"Blurg.... " :barf: "Dammit, Ivana. Don't you touch anything related to our foodstocks again... I will hunt you down. And I'm sure maintenance will help..."

...In Order...
[VIA] Is it at all possible for us to fulfill the remaining secondary objective? Perhaps if Sarama has cargo space enough to hold a sample?

[Weapons] No target... not for lack of motivation.
[Damage Control] Nothing other than that ice cream machine.
[Engineering] Power to Comms.
[Sensors] Nothing.
[Helm] East 3

[Sarama] No Charge. "Hey, you guys have any cargo space there? Enough for one of these samples, perhaps? If so, we may need you guys to pick up one of these samples we've identified to complete some secondary objectives for our mission."

[Comms]Encrypted connection to HASN Command

<<HEADER WITH ENCRYPTION KEY>> HA Frigate Lacustrine 9316-SA to HASN Command
<<MESSAGE AS FOLLOWS>>
Potential hostile Qura'xxo Mentity on intercept
claims nonhostile
Ship VIA suspects Mentity unstable
Please Advise

"Yeah, Jack seems to have a good plan. Let's go with it."

"Also, since we might have to fight and die later on, does anybody want to try this spaceshine I made by fermenting all kinds of assorted funk that's accrued in the cargo bays during the years? Who knows, might be the last chance you'll get to be wasted."

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Theantero posted:

"Also, since we might have to fight and die later on, does anybody want to try this spaceshine I made by fermenting all kinds of assorted funk that's accrued in the cargo bays during the years? Who knows, might be the last chance you'll get to be wasted."

"I will take you up on that, as long as it's strong enough to kill off whatever's left of Ivana's Vile Cream still in my system..."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

A tiny droid enters the comms room, dutifully carrying a shot glass and slightly smudgy bottle filled with clear liquid, with a layer of eerily multicolored sediment at the bottom.

A glassy clink can be heard through the comms.

"Cheers."

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

[Helm]: East 6
[Sensors]: Scan L9
[Engineering]: Boost Engines

[Comms]:
[encrypted tightbeam to Sarama]: Boost east. Get ready to start charging next turn. Plan to jump at N3.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(3)East(3,3,3(6))
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
[n/a]
[Sensors]
(1)L-9
Engineering
(2)Comms
(1)Engines

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

quote:

I believe the purpose to that secondary objective was to encourage you to bring back more information and samples than just the bare minimum… I think that under those parameters, the nebula sample we just acquired should count towards that objective, and so I will amend it as such.

This mission has actually been quite successful so far!

Comms posted:

[To Sarama] No Charge. "Hey, you guys have any cargo space there? Enough for one of these samples, perhaps? If so, we may need you guys to pick up one of these samples we've identified to complete some secondary objectives for our mission."

Sarama posted:

No, sorry, our only storage areas are already full of supplies and spare parts, and they aren't exceptionally secure against whatever horrifying space plague or whatever those samples are probably full of. We're rigged to haul ships, not cargo.

[Encrypted tightbeam to Sarama] Boost east. Get ready to start charging next turn. Plan to jump at N3.

Sarama posted:

Roger dodger. Heading out.

"Gar'xx'tuur posted:

>>>>HUMAN FRIENDS>>>> I >>NOTICED>> YOUR TRANSMISSION>><
>>I HOPE YOU ARE NOT >>>ALARMED>>><
I AM >ONLY> SENDING MY SHIPS TOWARDS YOURS>SO YOU CAN MORE EASILY>
>>>LOAD YOUR CARGO ONTO THEM>>><
>>SUCH IS THE>>GENEROSITY>>OF MY NATURE><
><
>>BY THE WAY><
>>THE>>>>RUDENESS>>>>OF THE SCINTILLANS>>
>>FORCES ME TO >>VIOLENTLY>> DESTROY THEM><
>>THEY HAVE NO >RESPECT>FOR>>BOUNDARIES>>OR>>TERRITORY>><
>>THEIR KIND AND MINE WILL>>>>ALWAYS>>>>BE ENEMIES>>
>> FEEL FREE TO AID>>IN THEIR >>>UTTER ANNIHILATION>>>IF YOU WANT>><
>>:HUMAN WINKIE FACE:>>><
>>>>NO>>>>THAT IS NOT...>><
;)
>>>THERE!>>>

Scan nebula types:
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Retrieve additional Samples and objects of interest [2/4]
Obtain a 'Dark Orange' Nebula Sample[1/1] COMPLETE!

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
Comms

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
VIA, was the message from the brute encrypted in any way? Were the Scintillians able to receive it?

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

my dad posted:

VIA, was the message from the brute encrypted in any way? Were the Scintillians able to receive it?

quote:

No, there was no encryption. I assume that Rain|Hand would be monitoring open traffic and probably heard that as well.
The Scintillans are probably expecting trouble, to be honest.
Relations between Scintillans and Qura'xxo have historically been... Uh... Very poor.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

[Helm]: East 6
[Sensors]: Scan Q8
[Engineering]: Boost Engines

Sarama: Start charging!

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Theantero posted:

"Cheers."

"Cheers, Mate."

Jack pours himself a shot of the drink, stashing the bottle in a cubby at his station. Glass to lips and tilts head back straining through his teeth. Enjoys the burn, "Woo! That is some good Starshine! Bit more grit than I'd like, but nothing's perfect." Settles himself in his chair, looks over the monitors. "Now... what shall we do?"

"Guys. I think I might feel bad if we run away and don't help the Scintillans. Especially if Command gives us permission to blow the Qura'xxo out of the void."

...In Order...
[VIA] Without yet knowing what command is going to advise us, what are the potential ramifications of helping out the Scintillans? We're not going to cause some intergalactic war on to of this Core ordeal, would we? What would our chances in a firefight be? If just these ships, I think we can take them, easy, but I think it's likely the Mentity would send in more ships."

[Comms] Await reply and decrypt response. Encrypt all further communications to Sarama. Suggest same with Scintillans, except unknown if they possess compatible encryption keys.
[Weapons] No target... but wouldn't hurt to be ready.
[Damage Control] Status on the ice cream machine. It's not running amok, is it?
[Engineering] Power to Engines.
[Sensors] Q08
[Helm] East Full Speed Ahead

Sarama posted:

No, sorry, our only storage areas are already full of supplies and spare parts, and they aren't exceptionally secure against whatever horrifying space plague or whatever those samples are probably full of. We're rigged to haul ships, not cargo.
[Sarama] <<Encrypted>> "Haha, fair enough. Don't know if we'll be running or fighting, so be ready for either one. Suggest using Encrypted communications from this point forward."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

"Guys. I think I might feel bad if we run away and don't help the Scintillans. Especially if Command gives us permission to blow the Qura'xxo out of the void."

"You feeling better now Jack? Deck stopped swaying? We need your hBLUURRGHH--just kidding. Keep us encrypted from hereon out. As for the hivers, I'd expect additional podships to join if we open fire on them. Hey VIA, what's the average podship complement of a Qurwhatever carrier? Also, I'd just like to confirm that I'm good with Rafferty's plan too."

• Locked thread