Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Lacustrine?

Why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman

"Haha, yeah this is a bit embarrassing, but I can't seem to remember where I put the nanobiometric keycard authenticator of the starboard cargo bay. We cannot really leave without it."

"Sorry for the inconvenience!"

VOTES:

Helm: Stay still (until nanobiometric keycard authenticator is found)

Sensors: Scan own ship (to find nanobiometric keycard authenticator)

Engineering: Power boost to sensors (maybe we will find a fun Easter Egg by Deep Scanning ourselves!)

btw Gravedust, a lot of the CYOA regulars hang out at the SynIRC channel #madgod, if you did not know already. Feel free to drop by sometime!

Theantero fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 6, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"?"

"Oh, haha! Uhm."

"You know these Space Cargo Pants, so many pockets and all, am I right?"

"..."

"BUT ANYWAYS, I suppose it's time to get going since that's sorted out. We can also take a looksie at that NAK carrier on the way, because why not."

Helm: Full Speed North

Sensors: Scan ship at N12 (suspicious aliens)

Comms: Call ship at N12 (this sector is really pretty this time of year, no?)

Engineering: Power boost to sensors

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

cokerpilot posted:

AI are you confident in your malware and security systems
If yes C

If not B

Also do you have a name?

Sensors: Scan AB 27

Comms: S 09

You guys head core-ward as well?

This guy seems to have a good idea. Let's go with his plan!

Well, except for the Sensor thing, we only have a range of 10... uh, 10 whatever units we measure distance in. Don't ask me, I'm not a navigator.

I say we DEEP SCAN our carrier at P9 for secret bomb threats insidious alien terrorists might have smuggled in.

Helm: Stay still until we can ascertain our security!
Sensors: Scan ship at P9 for possibility of bomb threat!
Comms: Call our sister ship at S9
Engineering: All power to Sensors (they might be really fancy bombs, one never knows with aliens!)

Also, yes I'd like to hear an info dump on our so called 'friendly' aliens. I'm tired of Space Talk Radio for today anyway.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Well, since it is apparently safe, we might as well get a move on.

Helm: Move North at speed 3

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Brad kicked back in his dinky little 'office', closer to a repurposed utility closet than anything. This was his favorite part about jumps:

"Attention all personnel. Pre-jump snacks available at the Starboard Cargo bay. This time we apparently have some sort of really fancy baklava. Looks like the Alliance is pulling out all the stops since we might all be very well dying on this mission haha!"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Right. If we are going to store these not at all ominous alien artifacts in my cargo bay, we better make sure they are EXTRA well scanned. I will have to say no on the 'shooting random objects' though. I mean, that kind of decision is easy for YOU PEOPLE to make, but I'm the guy who actually has to work with and handle those things. And do you have ANY idea what phason burn smells like?"

Helm: North 2
--Let's get the Orange Nebula out of the way, since we can do it immediately. We can then immediately continue west to get the first mystery-box. The less time we spend in this creepy corner of space the better.
Weapons: No Shooting
--Like it smells REALLY bad.
Damage Control: Nothing
--Guys, the 'Damage' number next to our guns means the amount of damage they do, not the amount of damage they've taken. If you check out our HUD, you can see they've got 10/10 integrity both.
Sensors: Once moved, perform Deep Scan
--We have to do it anyway, so might as well do it now.
Engineering: Divert power to Sensors
--Need to divert that juice to succeed on the Deep Scan. The shields need to wait for a bit.

"Also, we're told to scan 'all' four types of nebula, but five different colours of nebula exist on the map. Are they actually different, or is this a graphics glitch? VIA?"

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 21, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

An echo rings in the hallways of The Lacustrine.

"YO SPARKY! Just saw your vote! You KNOW that if we want to use our Scanners to Deep Scan instead of just, um, Normal Scan I guess, we have to direct engineering on scanners and not shields! Like, you're an engineer c'mon!"

"A reminder for all you folks on what Engineering can do for you:"

[Engineering]
Boosts the effectiveness of one of the other Stations for that round.
Power to Engines: Increases maximum possible speed.
Power to Weapons: Increases weapon damage.
Power to Damage Control: Increases repair rate.
Power to Shields: Increases shield regeneration.
Power to Sensors: Enables a Deep Scan, which may reveal additional information about an object, or a ship's stats. <-- This is the important bit if we actually want to Deep Scan!
Power to Comms: Enables a Long Range Transmission, allowing the ship to communicate outside the sector.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Yeah let's just tow in a piece of alien junk doused in SPACE ACID for old Brad to deal with like it isn't a big deal. Goddamnit it."

IFF: B
--We don't need the extra attention. Who knows what lurks here.
Helm: West 2
--We'll have to grab that thingy sooner or later.
Sensors: Once moved, perform Deep Scan
--This is something we need to do
--SO if you guys want to get the mission objective done and NOT hang around in an ACID NEBULA, we need to divert engineering to sensors.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 22, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Brad regarded the towed in artifact, traces of the caustic substances still clinging to it. He leered from behind the triple duraplass visor of his space-grade hazmat exosuit.

"Wow."

"Is this thing ugly or what?"

"As for votes, I'll pitch in for the westward plan. We can do a nice little clockwise spin, get all the nebulae including the extra one, and pick up the samples along the way. Maybe we'll be home for lunch."

Helm: West 3
--Two nebulae in quick succession. Efficient!
Sensors: Once moved, perform Deep Scan on nebula
--Might as well get this one too now that we're at it.
--Need to divert power to Deep Scan etc.
Samara: Lurk
--If we want to be home for lunch, we'll need these people and honestly I'm not willing to risk it.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Hexenritter posted:

"What are you playing with down there, Brad?"

"Yeah, I haven't a clue. Looks like a piece of wreckage blasted to crap, but that behooves the question of why there was something scrap worthy here anyway. Unless the Center is a popular place for people to hang out?"

"I suppose I can poke it with a manipulator to see if anything fun happens."

Helm: West 1
--Guys let's not overshoot the Nebula
Sensors: Once moved, perform Deep Scan on nebula
--Let's try this again
Misc: Poke space wreckage sample
--Is this smart??? I dunno.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Jump egress? Ugh, nothing can ever go smoothly can it?"

"Anyways, I suggest we go North first to nab the sample with the tractor beam (This one isn't even doused in space acid! Lucky me!), and after that we can move Westward towards the other junk."

"Here's even a nifty flightpath we could take:"

Helm: North 3
--Got to nab the objective
Sensors: Scan object at E9 after moving
--If this one is a sample we can move to it afterwards
Engineering: Divert power to Tractor Beam
--Need to use the tractor to get this one
Sarana: Get you butt out of the cloud and then go silent
--We should have our ticket home stay safe before we identify this new arrival

Theantero fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 28, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Ah, how nice. It's just probably non-murderous aliens. VIA, hit us with the info-dump if you'll please. Might make for interesting listening whilst I go check out this new thing we picked up."

Helm: West 5
--Let's boost over there to get it all quick like.
Sensors: Scan object at F12
--Probably the next one we should try and pick up
Engineering: Divert power to Engines
--Will have to do this if we want to get to the sample quickly.Sure, we can't tractor just yet but eh, you can't have everything. Unless you have one of those fancy navy turboboosters.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

my dad posted:

We really should deep scan the red nebula while it's still in range.

So, deep scan O8

Can't Deep Scan a nebula unless you're inside it I'm afraid.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

Helm: West 5
Engineering: Divert power to Tractor Beam to pick up E9

"Goddamnit Sparky you know our engines specs yeah? We can't move that far unless we divert Engineering into the thrusters."

"Or I suppose we could but we would probably rip the ship in half or something. Maybe. I don't know, I'm not an engineer."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Woah woah woah WOAH. Yeah, NO WAY are we taking any unidentified crap into MY cargo bay! Let's nab this thing we came to take, and deep scan the bugger in the nebula. I'm risking my neck out here already, I'm not gambling on possible brain eating alien parasites or whatever that thing might have."

Helm: North 1
--It's more efficient movement-wise to take this now than to make a detour for it later.
Sensors: Deep Scan object at F12
--Come on now sapce rock. Tell us your secrets!
--Maybe we can figure out this thing this way? I certainly hope the black nebula merely jams scanner and that thing is not something more sinister.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Did I ever tell you guys about Jack? He was my pal. Past tense, because they did not bother scanning on a routine salvage mission. Turns out that the ship they were collecting was using an illegal anti-matter particle booster for their meson cannon. Do you know what happens when you pick up an anti-matter device with a containment breach and don't take the necessary precautions? Past. Tense."

--I suppose we can do this whole thing as a counter-clockwise loop instead of a clockwise one.
Sensors: Deep Scan object Nebula
--Bonus objectives!
--I sure hope it's not just a killier version of the slightly less orange nebula.
Data Sharing: B
--Sure, let's give the scintillans our scan data. Why not?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Let's just get this over with since I do not fancy bumming around and waiting for this sector to turn into an intergalactic party zone. A counter-clockwise sweep to gather the samples and scan the black nebula. Let's just not forget to Deep Scan the orange nebula before we leave it. "

Helm: South 3
--This thing is in range so let's nab it.
Sensors: Deep Scan Nebula
--Bonus objectives!!!!! let's not screw this up this time around! Scan before moving!
--Let's see what this orange nebula does.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer
[Weapons]
C12 - Sample

"I- Wha- IVANA!"

"You are doing this on purpose. Aren't you?"

Theantero posted:

"Right. If we are going to store these not at all ominous alien artifacts in my cargo bay, we better make sure they are EXTRA well scanned. I will have to say no on the 'shooting random objects' though. I mean, that kind of decision is easy for YOU PEOPLE to make, but I'm the guy who actually has to work with and handle those things. And do you have ANY idea what phason burn smells like?"

"Well, if that's how you want to play, then that's fine."

"But don't come crying to me if whatever terribly unsafe and possibly illegal crap you want smuggled onboard mysteriously finds itself on some other ship entirely. Those dockers you know? They can be so terribly sloppy sometimes..."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Of course it had to be these guys. Of loving course. Nothing can ever be simple, can it?"

Helm: East 3
--We don't know what that thing is yet, but I suppose we can determine it after the fact. If it's worthless or dangerous we just dump it. Normally would not do something this risky, but we are suddenly strapped for time.
Sensors: Deep Scan Nebula
--Scanning the two nebulas we have left is one of our primary objectives. Let's focus on them instead of the optionals.
--Let's cross the comm-jammer nebula out of our to-do list.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"OH THANK GOD it wasn't a bomb. Also, we REALLY need to invest in another one of these exosuits in case one of them gets... uhh... sweaty. yeah, sweaty."

"As for the situation outdoors, I suppose it's good the jellies took the heat instead of us? But, uh, let's not stick around TOO long."

Helm: North 4
--From this spot we can either go East to scan the red Nebula ASAP, or detour West to grab a sample of the orange Nebula
Sensors: Scan Object at L09
--Might as well scan something and this is near the route we should take.
Engineering: Divert power to Engines

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

my dad posted:

Still thinking about what to do, but if we're going to boost north, might as well go full 6. It might be possible to pull in a sample of the dark orange nebula in with a tractor beam next turn, and we still have the red nebula directly to the east that way.

Thing is, we will have two tiles of the movement blocker on our way instead of just one.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Sheesh Malda. If you like the hivers so much, why don't we send you on a diplomatic mission?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Wow nice decision making guys. Now we get to trawl through two squares of interference nebula instead of just one to get to the red nebula, all the while getting yelled at by Mr. Spacegrump here."

--Might as well take this sample since we came all this way to take it. Even though I do loathe working with gaseous unknowns. Janitorial closet #14 is still off-limits because I never quite got the smell of Phorylazzian Multi-Funk out of there.
Sensors: Scan object at O6
--Might as well, we are going to that direction at some point.
Engineering: Divert power to Comm
--We should probably inform our home sector of the unduly aggressive behavior of our 'friends' at some point.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"I swear to any number of gods Ivana if you manage to break our ice cream machine, the only question you'll get an answer to is 'What is the fastest way to make the ship's crew lynch you.'"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

Jack Rafferty, Comms Officer

"Blurg.... " :barf: "Dammit, Ivana. Don't you touch anything related to our foodstocks again... I will hunt you down. And I'm sure maintenance will help..."

...In Order...
[VIA] Is it at all possible for us to fulfill the remaining secondary objective? Perhaps if Sarama has cargo space enough to hold a sample?

[Weapons] No target... not for lack of motivation.
[Damage Control] Nothing other than that ice cream machine.
[Engineering] Power to Comms.
[Sensors] Nothing.
[Helm] East 3

[Sarama] No Charge. "Hey, you guys have any cargo space there? Enough for one of these samples, perhaps? If so, we may need you guys to pick up one of these samples we've identified to complete some secondary objectives for our mission."

[Comms]Encrypted connection to HASN Command

<<HEADER WITH ENCRYPTION KEY>> HA Frigate Lacustrine 9316-SA to HASN Command
<<MESSAGE AS FOLLOWS>>
Potential hostile Qura'xxo Mentity on intercept
claims nonhostile
Ship VIA suspects Mentity unstable
Please Advise

"Yeah, Jack seems to have a good plan. Let's go with it."

"Also, since we might have to fight and die later on, does anybody want to try this spaceshine I made by fermenting all kinds of assorted funk that's accrued in the cargo bays during the years? Who knows, might be the last chance you'll get to be wasted."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

A tiny droid enters the comms room, dutifully carrying a shot glass and slightly smudgy bottle filled with clear liquid, with a layer of eerily multicolored sediment at the bottom.

A glassy clink can be heard through the comms.

"Cheers."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

[Comms] Await reply and decrypt response. Encrypt all further communications to Sarama. Suggest same with Scintillans, except unknown if they possess compatible encryption keys.
[Weapons] No target... but wouldn't hurt to be ready.
[Damage Control] Status on the ice cream machine. It's not running amok, is it?
[Engineering] Power to Engines.
[Sensors] Q08
[Helm] East Full Speed Ahead

"Sounds good. Keep making good decisions so that I won't have to bother."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Okay, yeah, we can make it out with all bonuses before these hiver schmucks can even reach us. I can smell the Bonuses we're getting all the way from here."

[Helm] East 3 (N6)
-If we go here, then move a bit North to scan the Nebula, then move to N3 to grab the final sample, we can be out of here in JUST as the Sarama has charged.
[Engineering] Tractor beam - O6
-Let's nab our penultimate prize
[Weapons] Nope
[Damage Control] Check Nebula tank for leakage
-Doesn't hurt to make sure, yeah?
[Sensors] T02
-Nothing else in range really
[Comms] Nothing
-Yeah, the hiver is a weirdo, but we are technically at peace with them in this sector. Let's not needlessly provoke them by buddying up with the Scintillans while they can hear us.
[Sarama] Charge Jump, meet us at N3
-If we take N3 as our meeting point, we can leave immediately after Sarama has charged up.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

...In Order...
[Helm] North to N05
[Weapons] Stay on Alert.
[Damage Control] Be Ready
[Engineering] Power to Sensors
[Sensors] Nebula

[Sarama] Continue Charging Jump and rendezvous at N03

"Ehh, wh- waht was that *BURRRRRRRP* *HIC*"

"Ye shure okay whatever. Lezz go with that shounds good!"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

HBar posted:

[Helm]: North 3
[Sensors]: Deep Scan N5 as we pass through it
[Engineering]: Boost Sensors

"Man I to- *BURRP* totally forgot we could do dat! Can I change my vote b'cuz this is smarter."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

my dad posted:

I'm voting weapons and probe bay.

Sound reasoning, and what I'd choose as well. Weapons and Probes it is.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Ah, now THIS is more like it. A cargo bay filled with nice, predictable beacons instead of suspicious alien junk or space farts. Cannot find even a trace of all those weird contaminants in my holds. Everything strapped on expertly, the Ice Cream containers cleaned an scrubbed and the key repossed from Ivana. I suppose you've got to give credit to the people at rear end*, they've got their poo poo together when stuff needs to be done."

[Helm] North 6
-You heard the guy. Time is of the essence, so we might as well get to it.
[Engineering] Engines
-As I said, need to go fast
[Weapons] Nope
[Damage Control] Double check the ice cream containers
-Just to make sure they are REALLY clean
[Sensors] Scan K16
-Want to take a look at the fancy battlecruiser. They should not get mad unless we Deep Scan them or something. Right?
[Comms] Sarama
"Hi again guys! Hope you had as nice a shore leave as we did! Anyways, we are coming in fast, so be prepared."
[Sarama] Let's dock in and leave immediately.

*Association of Space Stevedores

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

HBar posted:

Judith Chiang, Nav Officer

Brad almost has the right idea, except we still gotta wait for those slowpokes in the Athene.

"Huh? Nah, Judith, you're mistaken. Athene is not coming with us, but jumping in once we've scouted the area. I mean, even Sarana is going to get the hell out of dodge immediately after it has dumped us. A complete solo mission, this one!"

"See, here's even the relevant bit of VIA's infodump:"

Gravedust posted:

TONE-0:[Objective reached] - Should be placed at the closest viable egress point to the epicenter. Athene will jump to this beacon, assisted by Sarama.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Sure, let's go with a lady lifting a sword from a lake. No objection to that."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Abyssal Squid posted:

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Helm: West 3
Weapons: no shooty
Damage Control: probe bay 2
Sensors: damaged cruiser at N 28
Engineering: damage control
Deploy Probe from Bay 1
Deploy Signal Beacon: Tone 1 after movement

What were the odds of jumping into a nebula! Ha ha. :rolleyes: Our top priority is NOT DYING, we need to shore up our most damaged systems first and mark an egress lane ASAP. It's not an ideal location but we can lay down endpoints for one in two moves, which is better than nothing if we need backup. After we get that mapped out we can go further west into the black nebulae. H 12-16 looks like a good egress lane that we can reach quickly.

Insignia: C I'm probably alone in this but if I'm not gonna vote for my own suggestion then who will? I just like wildlife.
Probes, bay 1: Buffy, Redhead
Probes, bay 2: Walleye, Pumpkin

"unhh, ow, is that blood..? Sheeshs GODDAMN this smarts. Managed to go and hit my head, it seems. Let's just go with what Malda says, except for the insignia which should be A. Otherwise she seems to be talking sense. As for me, I'm off to the sick bay."

"...Wait do we even HAVE a sick bay?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer

No :D
We have cryopods for emergency freeze, damage control for the sickness of ship and Ivana Sendvič for all other experiments!
Please bring your blood to my office at earliest convenient! I fix!

"...Yeah, on second thought, I'm certain this old discarded oil rag makes for a perfectly fine emergency bandage."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

HBar posted:

Judith Chiang, Nav Officer

[Helm]: West 2
[Weapons]: Stay alert
[Damage Control]: Probe Bay 2
[Sensors]: Scan J10
[Engineering]: Boost Repair

"Great. I could have had a nice cushy job with the Association of Space Stevedores but NO, I have to be here, getting chased by a space wolfpack on some ridiculous quest. Goddamnit. But otherwise, let's just go with Judith's plan."

"I wonder though, why are you guys so stingy with the beacons? J19 would have been a really nice place to drop one. Like, if you guys would take a look ahead, viable spots to drop them will get sparser and sparser."

[Majkaüe]: Deep Scan O23, then move North 6.
-Like, guys, these people are trying to murder us. We SHOULD figure out what weapons they are carrying and how fast they can go.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

nothing to seehere posted:

Beacons say that a 3x3 grid around that point is safe for jumping, and one of those squares around J19 had an nebula in it. Jumping into nebulae is bad, as we have proven. There's that big clear patch at the top of the sector map which would be nice for Beacons though.

"...Now is that so? I did some doodling, and here are all the valid squares we could potentially drop beacons on, with a dot representing a valid square, with the outlined areas showing all the squares we could potentially paint as safe."

"Yeah, somehow I think you're mistaken, since the 3x3 grid idea leaves us a whopping ONE spot to drop a beacon to above row 15."

"That, or command is a bunch of bunglers. Which would not surprise me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Abyssal Squid posted:

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

As for the podships, Rain|Hand sent us scan results and we don't have much to worry about right now:

"Yeah, we know that the Podships are pushovers individually. It's the SKO Destroyers I'm worried about, and would like to have that info before they start to make chase."

• Locked thread