Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Agronox posted:

So this is... some kind of David Lynch-influenced mystery show? Anime LOST?

Darkly comic slasher show, near as I can tell.

Everyone gonna get eaten by werebears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Irony-watchers: :getout:

Does it count as ironywatching when the humour appears to be at least partially intentional?

Pretty sure that Okada and Mizushima are going for maximum camp here, and the cast being a literal busload of Internet stereotypes is just part of that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

alcharagia posted:

It's really amazing how most of these people are just CONSTANTLY SCREAMING ALL THE TIME!!

Sounds like someone is insufficiently passionate about executions.

We have a cure for that around here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Prediction: Masaki turns into a bear (again), eats everyone, hooks up with Maimai.

Many years later, the events of Yuri Kuma Arashi begin.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

She was a bit to keen on the idea when it came to the bus driver, but I'm not sure I have any objections to Lovepon's suggestion re: Yottsun, no.

Well, apart from the redundancy. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Oh, maybe Pukey killed him? And earlier she went away alone to hide his body?

I imagine that the bear (who may or may not be Masaki) freaked him out and caused him to drown in the river. Now, if he doesn't have any claw injuries, things could get real interesting - in that case, who provided the blood?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

personally i'd hope for giant tanuki, that'd be cool.

Alas, poor Yottsun, smothered by giant magical testicles.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

varukana: revenge of yospos

OK, so we've also got Dozaemon (GWS), Nyanta (GIP), Jigoku (RSF), Yottsun (NMD)... who else?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Nyanta is TFR though

A reasonable point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

it's just because she's describing being quartered and you usually get split from that method starting from the crotch area

You say that, but Mitsumune's been shown to have some pretty crossed wires where girls are concerned.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

it's played as a castration joke or whatever you wanna call it

Yeah, I get that, but when he gets turned on shortly afterwards by a girl's wet shirt while she's trying to strangle/drown him, it's hard not to wonder.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WitchFetish posted:

It's basically some sort of japanese Silent Hill in which people hallucinate stuff from their subconscious/traumatic memories (Bus Driver's daughter, murderous jack for Hyouketsu no Assness and so on...). What isn't real clear yet is if it's possible for people to hallucinate stuff from other people's psyches (they all saw the "giant mitsumune", but the beast in the wood sounded different depending on who heard it).

I'm betting the thing in the tunnel looked different to all of them, and Maimai was unlucky enough to blurt out the most embarrassing option first.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Also remember that he tried to leave and likely ended up not being able to. I find it funny that he never mentioned this.

I would assume that the thing he saw in the coach that freaked him out was his dead daughter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I love how these weird assholes' gimmicks and eccentricities bounce off each other in a way that makes them almost behave like rational human beings after a while.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

The Most Powerful Power Rankings

Best Characters
  • Valkana
Worst Characters
  • Everyone else

I actually find myself kinda liking Speedstar (I was convinced he wasn't real, and was instead some Tyler Durden externalized personality that Mitsumune created, RIP that theory) even if he comes across as controlling; Mitsumune really is kind of a dope. It strikes me as less that Mitsumune is "off" or creepy (I honestly don't know why everyone is leaping to MITSUMUNE IS A CREEP seems kinda aggressive) and more that Mitsumune is the protagonist from a completely separate show. He'd fit right in if this were anything other than a horror parody anime, but instead both the other characters and the audience assume there is something seriously wrong with him when he's instead just Anime Guy in a setting where Icebound rear end and Lovepon are somehow considered "normal."

Lion is annoying, not sure why people like her; she doesn't really have any solid jokes so far and is just generally an irritant.

Lovepon's shtick has worn thin and I'm now actively rooting for her to be dead within the next two episodes or so.

Mitsumune's creepy because (apart from a number of other things, like whatever the gently caress is up with his backstory) he's got that one-track mind regarding girls. Like, even if a woman is trying to kill him, he'll just think about how her boobs look nice. Pretty much all of the cast are anime archetypes taken to an amusingly/alarmingly grotesque extreme, and he's the Harem Anime Protagonist Guy - passive, relentlessly friendly, and obsessed with sex in even the strangest circumstances. Falling on a girl and wigging out because OH MY GOD BOOB in the middle of some huge, flashy, terrifying action sequence isn't normal, and neither is being all smiley and friendly to people who are trying to murder you, and this show is happily ripping the poo poo out of that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I agree with most of this, except I think that Mitsumune is less being creepy (or creepier than your average shounen harem protagonist) and more is incapable of figuring out he's in the wrong anime yet. At no point does anyone, Mitsumune included, take Lovepon's attempted murder of him seriously, so it's hard to take it seriously as the audience, which makes the entire scene basically just a farce.

Well, yeah, Mayoiga is a comedy, but I think it's reasonable to call characters creepy when their creepiness is the joke. Like with, yes, Lovepon. Mitsumune hasn't gone for anyone's fingernails yet, but things like the way he didn't rule out that he was stalking the girls to their dorm do not paint an encouraging picture. Also, the head behind that giant bird mask did look somewhat feminine, which suggests an even more alarming relationship with a woman in his past.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/pancakeparadox/status/726383027002216448

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Lion acts way to smug and superior for someone who wears a cat ear hoodie.

Have you... have you never met a cat before?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Compendium posted:

We're gonna probably see a bit of Lovepon's backstory this week I bet and I'm not gonna feel anything from it

I'd at least hope for amusement.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

Calling it now: Lovepon's experienced a loss of family/friends due to a criminal who got free/was exonerated, and then the criminal did more bad things, and that's why she's so into punishment.

Couldn't tell you about Nyanta, though.

Likes cats and guns. A compelling backstory indeed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm just saying that Lost, except everything is Anime as gently caress is something I'm okay with.

People just keep saying stuff like "why do they tolerate Lovepon" or something like that. Because they're not only anime characters, they're all borderline, shut-in internet weirdos even within the show's universe. Like they think they're doing this cool radical thing but they're just forming a commune without actually figuring out who owns the land that the commune is on.

Also, Mikage let slip that he's got a fair amount of Lovepon in him as well. He just needs to let it all out and they can become the show's next wonderful idiot couple.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Literal demon drink. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Eh, not really. If you listen to the audio you can tell that the priest uses the same verb (Shioki) for "You should be in hell, brat" (or whatever the phrase was), or at least a homophone, that Lovepon uses for "Execute" when she gets so excited, which removes quite a few of the intermediary steps. "He says I should be in hell" -> "This guy's clearly evil" -> "He should be the one in hell/executed, for even suggesting it" -> "Everyone who seems to pose a risk to my paranoid mind should be executed".

Still, it's an interesting backstory, it's just a problem with the translation. Just like with the "assbound catacomb" discussion, they were using words that legitimately sounded like Hyouketsu, but the translator just decided to translate them literally while leaving hyouketsu alone.

I do wonder if that was a deliberate extension of the already-present joke about everyone confusing Hyoketsu and Jack's names, though, since those sound nothing alike in either language.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The purest of loves.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

darkgray posted:

Did CR sub the Gun Shop sign?

They didn't. They always make it clear and obvious when they're subbing in-story writing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MJP posted:

I just caught up and got to page 6. I don't know if I'm liking the show anymore. It's tough for me to suspend disbelief without the right context, or something something blah blah rationalizing anime situations

I mean, I don't know. I'm not really caring about any of the characters, and everything seems like just one big MUH TRAGIC PAST and more of a statement about how awful Japanese culture really is, or at least how awful its consumers/participants realize it to be by consuming this as popular media.

I don't want anyone to win, I was hoping the show would be some kind of realistic psychological breakdown of douchebag social quitters and their respective social quittings more than spooky scary schoolgirl ghosts send hallucinations to your brain

Valkana needs to survive and get a spinoff; any IT professional has experienced at least one bus-throw-undering in their career and boy howdy does it look way too close to his.

Hand-drawn ones can be made equally horrific

Eiken

Did you miss the bit about it being an intentionally goofy spoof of slasher movies, then? Poor old Catacomb Assbound's sad tale should have been a pretty obvious clincher.

Suspending disbelief isn't necessary when the ridiculousness is the joke, any more than it's useful to nerd out about nuclear physics when reading Quarter-Life: Halfway to Destruction.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wokow6 posted:

I wasn't expecting Mitsumune to be Johnny from To the Moon. Though, I actually like him a bit more now.

And gently caress Speedstar, the dude is a possessive rear end in a top hat. And they really need to lock Lovepon up. In fact, I'm flabbergasted why they didn't before, especially after what happened with Jack.

Also, I miss Jack. I wish he would come back.

C'mon. If you're going on an old-school witch-burning, you might as well bring the expert.

I loved that they literally got out the torches and pitchforks while going after Masaki.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/b0bduh/status/731456050910625792

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I love that Masaki's superpower is apparently not having a tragic enough anime backstory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

that rolling your fat in your fingers like a pen is a strange thing to do

yeah

She's a Great Detective. They all have weird tics when they're deep in thought.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mitsumune's big, dramatic showdown with his teeny-tiny monster was funny as hell.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i assumed the tiny size indicated he was on top of things. but then, you know. the rest of the episode.

I suspect with many of these monsters that they're deliberately making them look cheap, silly, and unreal. You know, really emphasising that low-budget horror movie aesthetic. Valkana's was basically a big wobbly CG blob, and Nyanta's wasp kind of looked like it was made of papier-mache.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I sure was scared as gently caress by Lovepon's slow-moving still image with its slight mesh deformation

It IS kinda tongue-in-cheek, though... Valkana even remarked that his "monster" moved kinda slowly

Yeah, that's one bit I was particularly thinking of. Meanwhile, Mitsumune's penguin looks like the effects guys hosed up their miniature work, which can only be a joke in an animated show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kyte posted:

I'd assumed that was because he was starting to get a handle over his trauma.

The monsters have always moved ridiculously slowly, in that B-movie 'oh poo poo I hope this prop doesn't fall apart' way. Besides, given how Valk reacted to it, the odds on him adjusting seem low.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In this episode, incredibly dramatic nose picking.

I adore how well Mizushima manages to kill the tension every single time. It takes real craft to get a triple-A TV series this close in tone to a crappy student horror film, especially given that what would be lazy tricks in live-action are actually significantly trickier to animate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Out of curiosity, what tricks are you referring to?

The camerawork, mainly. They're using complex, difficult-to-animate shots to simulate what you'd naturally get from a crappy, overambitious indie film, like zooming scenes out too much so that you can see the 'actors' who aren't relevant to this particular bit getting bored and goofing off (which means lots more moving parts to animate). The special effects, too, fail in some quite carefully-crafted ways. They don't just use cheap, bad CG monsters (although they're happy to - Valkana's in particular is phenomenally :effort:) - they use monsters that look like cheap, bad practical props, like Nyanta's toilet-roll-and-wire wasp, or Mitsumune's stuffed animal in a wig. The tunnel scene is a great example of this - it looks exactly like bad miniature-work, with the tiny prop projected onto the screen of the bus window as they shake the set around.

An in-character 'making of' documentary with Mikage as the prima donna director would be goddamn amazing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Major Ricardo posted:

I feel that this show will have a bad end, with nothing really explained or the ending will just suck. They have 2 episodes to wrap it up, so they don't have time to do anything but dump an ending on us.

Anyways needs more Nyanta.

The best possible ending would be Mitsumune doing his big dramatic return scene only to find that half the cast has sloped off to grab some beer and the rest are playing strip poker, Mikage having a giant screaming rant at everyone else for not following the script after he made all this effort to find a proper abandoned village for them to shoot their movie, and storming off, before Dozaemon goes 'Wait, were we still supposed to be filming this?' and the screen goes black.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So many great moments this episode.

They only made it to the village because God was taking a nap. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hogama posted:

Given the circumstances in the first episode and the camera focus in that scene, my guess is Koharun drugged his drink before meeting up with the bus.

Nah, 'I just fell asleep for some reason' seems way more Lost Village.

And that arrow scene. Goddamn.

• Locked thread