Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
So this is... some kind of David Lynch-influenced mystery show? Anime LOST?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Kinda! What it most reminds me of is The Future Diary, in that it works as horror-suspense and as a farce.

And it has the Shirobako director. All right, sign me up!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Lion is already sick of everyone's poo poo.

I like this show so far.

Definitely some LOST parallels. Isolated area that apparently can't be returned from, characters that can't communicate properly, extensive flashbacks as character development... figure the bear for the smoke monster, maybe Varakuna for Sawyer. All right, it isn't perfect.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

esselfortium posted:

It's feeling more and more :lost: with each new episode, so far.

We even had screwed up navigational aids.

If they find a mysterious hatch or a glowy cave I'm going to bail.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Okay, that guy convinced me, I am now on Team Soy Latte.

Also, I agree with everyone else that likes our doofus main character. "Oh, I talked to so many girls today, what are the odds?" *gets ambushed by idiots and left to die of smoke inhalation*

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Must... struggle... to not drown in the river... on the other hand, dem tittays

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

So, his name is partially homophonic for 'finding tits'.

I'm wondering if, as a non-speaker of Japanese, I'm reading too much into this, or if it's an intentional thing?

Japanese is a really interesting language and I wish I was smarter and had more free time to study it!

I have no idea about the kanji, but from all I know about anime you should assume every decent pun is intentional. (Though it might be more about "finding heart" depending on what happens.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Torquemadras posted:

Two advantages over Lost! You decide if being anime is a plus or not. :v:

Well, it lets them put some ridiculous visuals on screen for a budget of practically nothing, so it probably has to be anime. It's a good medium for this kind of thing.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether they'll have enough time to really get into all these characters' motivations and backgrounds. (Maybe it's not necessary anyway, as who really cares what Icebound rear end's childhood was like.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

People just keep saying stuff like "why do they tolerate Lovepon" or something like that. Because they're not only anime characters, they're all borderline, shut-in internet weirdos even within the show's universe.

People on Reddit have said that it is what would happen if Reddit went on a field trip.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Lost had some spectacular, A+ moments as well as some truly half-baked writing from time to time. If you watch it, resist the temptation to look up spoilers, because half the fun is seeing where the hell they actually go with some things.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This show has such a weird tone that I can see why it pushes some people away. It's darkly comedic but there are some unsettling moments played pretty straight (it's hard not to feel sad for Nyanta and Lovepon).

I really enjoy it though. Can't help but get a good laugh from the "running to Valkana" gag and Titmonster.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This show has nailed the :lost: feeling shortly before the end of the episode where you're like, "gently caress, this is going to be a cliffhanger isn't it."

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
A lot of good stuff this episode.

Bus out of nowhere!
She's not a ghost... Wait, that's bullshit, she's probably a ghost, we should stab her!
I wish I had a stupid idiot like Mitsumune!
Maybe she doesn't have a lovely past like we're all trying to forget!
Return of the Assbound!

I hope team Lionanko does well :3:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Many TV detectives have a tic that helps them put the facts of a case together and come to a conclusion. Columbo would rub his temples; Oreki from Hyouka would pull down on his bangs.

Nanko grabs her love handles.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This line slayed me in Mitsumune's "why Masaki is actually awesome" speech:

Such a strange little show. I enjoyed it, but was hoping for a crazier ending. I thought they were setting up some tragedy for the bus (falls off a cliff, hit by a train, etc.) the second they went back into the hippopotamus song.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Neeksy posted:

I wish we had more episodes to flesh out the cast, though. I was surprised that the nurse and the basically sensible guy ended up staying behind, but it made sense in terms of character to try and care for those who can't leave yet.

Maybe Soy Latte will find romance? Hopeful end!

(Although a lot of the knuckleheads on reddit at this late juncture STILL haven't figured out that the humor's intentional. Kind of annoying.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, if Mayoiga was an anime version of a crappy indie horror movie, I'd totally want a sequel/spinoff to be a crappy indie cop movie or some other genre.

*rubs belly fat*

Yes, yes that could work.

• Locked thread