Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

This lady needs to do some weights or something, goddamn.

Also, Princess Bride is a good kids film but in my curmudgeonly old age it's too 'light' for me.

It's the kind of film that were symptomatic of the downfall of the fantasy genre in Hollywood in the late 80s. Before The Princess Bride, we had a number of 'serious' fantasy films that were created with an actual budget and considerable craft (Conan the Barbarian, The Never Ending Story, The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, to name a few better-known ones).

Princess Bride however was part of the new wave "nudge-nudge, wink-wink", "we shouldn't take this too seriously as it's a fantasy film" type films, which is what basically anything but the most z-grade fantasy film became for over a decade afterwards. It's only as recently as Lord of the Rings that there's been a resurgence in big-budget fantasy films coming from Hollywood.

It's a good-natured film and I can tell the cast had a great time making it, but personally the story didn't really capture my imagination or move me in the way some of the other films above did.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

AA is for Quitters posted:

Princess bride is first and foremost a comedy. It's like saying Robin Hood Men In Tights is responsible for the downfall of fantasy movies in Hollywood. Princess bride was never meant to be taken seriously. The book is even more clear about that. The book is straight up comedy.

Also just realizing how Cary Elwes' career was essentially all period pieces up until Saw.

I'm not trying to 'blame' the film for causing the downfall of fantasy films - just that it was symptomatic of this. The apparent need for Hollywood to inject comedy and modern anachronisms into every fantasy film for over a decade is precisely what I'm getting at.

Princess Bride was only the start of that particular downhill slide though, and it's still a feel-good film and competently made. For those interested in where the slide eventually ended up, see the "Dungeons and Dragons" movie.
Do not see the "Dungeons and Dragons" movie

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 11, 2016

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Nathilus posted:

LOL seriously. The only thing that is more staunchly a product of the 80s are big brown rectangular electronics. It was an infestation. Nobody's fault. Even nevernending story and legend were infested.

Speaking of jerk heroines who don't deserve good things: that legend chick. She plays with an elf-friend boy's heart and when he shows her the old magic she IMMEDIATELY messes everything up on a cosmic level.. Which ok technically is not 100% her own fault but then when she is taken she is easily seduced by the dark with necklaces and pretty dresses and poo poo. How loving shallow can one bitch be? She makes a heel turn at the last second so everything turns out ok but she barely deserves to be called a protagonist. She's more like a banshee or other foretelliner of doom.

Are you making GBS threads me?

If it turned out that the devil is actually Tim Curry and he tried to seduce me and all he wants in return is me murdering some unicorns I'd totally do it in a heartbeat. The Legend chick's biggest crime was trying to resist his irresistible advances.

That's why the movie was called "Legend" - it had Tim Curry in it.

• Locked thread