Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
what are some trends you've seen on modern websites/in modern web development that you find abhorrent? there are plenty to pick from. ad stuff is fair game.

* i loving hate responsive design. it sounds good in theory (to idiots) but then you realize that the designs are poo poo, the code is even shittier, and the toll on bandwidth to anything but the largest viewport size is insanely wasteful even by modern web standards. for the uninitiated, you can tell you're on a responsive site (on desktop) by resizing your window and seeing if the content within rearranges itself. lots of big sites do it with varying degrees of success. some examples of this include: https://www.starbucks.com https://www.espn.com https://www.vox.com. love that i have to download the same amount of content that the full desktop site requires in order to see the 300px wide mobile version :thumbsup:

* showing actual content "in modal." this one is rarer (because it is in fact much stupider even). for example, https://www.usatoday.com. click on one of their stories. it loads over the main page in a little window that you have to dismiss. you can dismiss by x-ing out OR clicking into the negative space. modals are meant to be used as dialogue prompts when you are required to take an action to continue using the program or site. just another good idea gone terrible in the hands of web developers and web product managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
something awful.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I make websites for a living so I've learned to hate everything about them, full stop.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
WELL LET ME TELL YOU I THINK WEBSITES ARE WAY TO BIG ON THE INTERNET IM TRYUINGTO MAKE MAKE MY FARKLE AND ILL GET A PENIS IN MY FACE. I DONT NEED THIS

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
http://tiffzhang.com/startup/

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

BossRighteous posted:

I make websites for a living so I've learned to hate everything about them, full stop.

same. want to co-publish a new compile-to-JS language and several frameworks for it to help address this problem space?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

thathonkey posted:

same. want to co-publish a new compile-to-JS language and several frameworks for it to help address this problem space?

I wanna copy and paste poo poo from stack overflow and go the gently caress home at 5. Funny how that actually still works.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

quote:

There’s a package called isArray that has 880,000 downloads a day, and 18 million downloads in February of 2016. It has 72 dependent NPM packages. Here’s its entire 1 line of code:

return toString.call(arr) == '[object Array]';

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
just tell me how to do a email

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
For all I know this is real production code that somebody got paid to write and wasn't just something silly for dailywtf

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

https://github.com/search?q=This+should+never+happen&type=Code&utf8=%E2%9C%93

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
im pretty glad that parallax scrolling stopped being a thing pretty quickly

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
* news sites with a menu that pops up over whenever you highlight some of the article text and offers you share buttons and other garbage for the passage you have highlighted

* any site that uses a modal to ask me to sign up for their newsletter or get their app. it's bad enough to ask, at least have the small bit of shame and put it at the top or bottom so it doesn't disrupt the entire site-viewing experience. the only site i need a dedicated mobile app for is something awful but that's neither here nor there (actually it's here because SA is too lovely to have a mobile template for some reason)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

im pretty glad that parallax scrolling stopped being a thing pretty quickly

are you serious? it's maybe not at peak popularity now but i still see it all over the place. a lot of people have figured out how to use it much more subtly though and i don't mind the effect when it's implemented well and makes sense for the purpose of the content.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

When the front end dev makes a separate bootstrap modal for every single gallery image on a page instead of a lightbox and because it 'works' no one ever notices.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

thathonkey posted:

* any site that uses a modal to ask me to sign up for their newsletter or get their app. it's bad enough to ask, at least have the small bit of shame and put it at the top or bottom so it doesn't disrupt the entire site-viewing experience. the only site i need a dedicated mobile app for is something awful but that's neither here nor there (actually it's here because SA is too lovely to have a mobile template for some reason)

SA does have a mobile stylesheet it's just bad and broken and doesn't apply itself automatically. I'm using it right now

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i havent seen parallax scrolling in a while

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
sites that try to get you to download their app at every loving turn. like ultimate-guitar.com that site is easily worse than hitler

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Aralan posted:

SA does have a mobile stylesheet it's just bad and broken and doesn't apply itself automatically. I'm using it right now

i did not know that... possibly because it doesn't apply itself automatically. that would do it. so how do you apply it?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

sites that try to get you to download their app at every loving turn. like ultimate-guitar.com that site is easily worse than hitler

lol yes that site will literally break if they bolt on even one more desperate way to make money (they think that by getting you to download their mobile app they'll get more ad impressions when in reality you will either delete it as soon as you've realized your mistake or tuck it away in some folder on page 3 never to be seen again)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

thathonkey posted:

i did not know that... possibly because it doesn't apply itself automatically. that would do it. so how do you apply it?

It's under user control panel options. Enable mobile layout on mobile devices to turn it on. Do whatever you like with the "enable mobile layout on every device" option, because I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything since the mobile layout displays on my computer unless I adblock the JavaScript that applies it lol

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I used to read Gawker daily in 2007, and then every layout update made me angrier than the last. Every year the front page displays less and less information, requiring more and more open tabs to view stories.

It hurts. What internetwayback doesn't preserve is the 2011 Kinja layout shift that was bad enough to make headlines. It basically introduced infinite scroll, a tablet layout as standard, and dual-scrolling frames on every page. Both of which had invisible scrollbars, you had to mouse over the frame and use the wheel. Details here with some hilarious quotes about the great convergence of blogs, television, desktop and tablet browsing. Also they were inspired by the UI of their email clients.

The new Kinja layout caused traffic to drop by half and Denton bet some tech blogger that the traffic would recover back within a year. It didn't.

This gamble on a fucktarded proprietary blogging platform was worsened by the fact that Gawker wasn't a tech company so their first tech product was buggy and everyone hated it. They intended to license kinja out to other publishers, but no one wanted to use it for free. Denton described it as a grand vision and being the first time journalists and commenters would operate on the same level and it would be a grand collaboration, but then everyone blogged on the 20 other platforms. In 2015 they announced what everyone else realized years ago, that no one is ever going to use kinja over wordpress

Anyway you can see the same shrinking content space on Rottentomatoes over the years, the front page now has like 70% less text and links so you need to scroll past more stuff

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 12, 2016

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i hate any website that doesn't use that dripping bloody gif divider

or maybe the rainbow color one. bring back geocities design

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I thought that the title said THERMODWEEB, because of dyslexia.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

If your site doesn't belong to a web ring then I'm not viewing your content

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

If your site doesn't belong to a web ring then I'm not viewing your content

sign my guest book

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Autoplaying ads or other audio that I can't figure out where it is coming from on the drat page. I end up closing a page I intended to read because it is blasting audio with no visible means of making it stop.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

bigass image carousels that just keep on moving to the next slide every few seconds

can i at least fuckin pause it or something geez

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i enjoy connecting with my favorite celebrities and brands on facebook

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anything that gets between me and the regular rear end, full size loving image. Let me right click view image that poo poo and get the real goddamn image. None of this bullshit preventing me. Twitter especially is so loving inconsistent with this. Why does anyone use photobucket or flickr, goddamn.

Also I use noscript and it's hilarious when pages load up fancy fonts but the script is blocked by default so everything's in fuckin comic sans.

Speaking of that, every website now that has "articles" of any kind needs like 5 layers of "temporarily allow all this page" before the loving content loads properly. gently caress off.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
* people are buying more phones and tablets and less computers, so our website should look and feel like it was designed for a tablet / phone, with big color blocks everywhere, less information, and less intuitive look and feel, everything should just be swipe / click bait

* modern cpus are fast and multi core, so it's fine to load literally dozens to hundreds of ads, tracking / data / telemetry scripts that do nothing for the end user, and all kinds of social media scripts that connect our site to all the popular social media sites because if we don't get exposure there we're surely done for (never mind the fact that we re-designed our site for tablets and devices and the literally dozens to hundreds of ad & tracking related scripts we run simultaneously crash over half of all the different tablets and devices people are currently using)

* don't load web pages, "stream" them instead, so people can't easily search for information or download it offline, this will force all the ads / tracking / social media scripts to load, most users aren't using ad blockers because they are on non jail broken tablets or phones

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Lets have a giant horizontal bar at the top and maybe bottom of the screen that's a minimum of a centimeter and can go up to about three inches. That way when you hit space bar or bar down, a shitton of text/content is hidden beneath it! Looking at you tumblr, some news sites.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Video players with only on/off options for sound. Every other source of noise making works fine but now I have this digital option of ears bleeding or silence.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

if you take over navigation with a stupid spa and don't use the history api properly and responsibly to push out working, current urls for content you're human garbage who is breaking the internet

hijacking scrolling so that it scrolls the page horizontally or some poo poo so nothing can make sense of it, that poo poo is mega old now and it lost its novelty ages ago

all websites use bootstrap even ones that can afford to hire designers

hamburger menus, gently caress you, design an experience, shitlords, i realise it comes free with bootstrap, they're poo poo and you're poo poo

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Woden posted:

Video players with only on/off options for sound. Every other source of noise making works fine but now I have this digital option of ears bleeding or silence.

oh yeah, if you roll your own stupid video player it has to have at least all the options the native browser controls have

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

also stock photography means 'i have no idea how to use this space so i'll just waste your bandwidth'

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

chaosbreather posted:

hijacking scrolling so that it scrolls the page horizontally or some poo poo so nothing can make sense of it, that poo poo is mega old now and it lost its novelty ages ago

this reminds me that today the makers of some of my favorite manchild monsterman dollies announced a new version of their dollgame and holy poo poo is the page for it modernweb.html as poo poo

http://www.allnewwar.com/

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
In one job interview I was asked how I felt about endless scrolling. I said it was awful, and gave some reasons why. He then clarified that it was the topic for the coding exercise, make a function for endless scrolling.

I did not get the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Otisburg posted:

this reminds me that today the makers of some of my favorite manchild monsterman dollies announced a new version of their dollgame and holy poo poo is the page for it modernweb.html as poo poo

http://www.allnewwar.com/

ahhaha in safari that site just jitters around when you try and scroll and now its just blank white

great job warhammer

• Locked thread