Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most Disappointing Eliminated Team
This poll is closed.
Sixers 5 3.73%
Lakers 4 2.99%
Nets 1 0.75%
Suns 4 2.99%
Timberwolves 3 2.24%
Pelicans 20 14.93%
Knicks 1 0.75%
Bucks 8 5.97%
Kings 1 0.75%
Nuggets 2 1.49%
Magic 0 0%
Jazz 5 3.73%
Wizards 18 13.43%
Bulls 33 24.63%
I'm Happy My Team Missed The Playoffs 11 8.21%
Team Canada 18 13.43%
Total: 134 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I can fish from my yard or deck while playing with my pup! Catfish and perch are the most common catches. Every now and then, you can get a bass or garfish or alligator snapping turtle or just an alligator. (all except the actual gator have happened to me or family while fishing from this dock before)

----

Anthony Davis doesn't care for seafood so I'm not sure if he will be fishing. Hopefully, he gets some inspiration and works some more on various hook shots and how to anchor a good defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

All the good fishing spots are privatized in NJ or are stocked with crap fish that aren't fun to catch. Most people fish off bridges in the middle of civilization.

That's actually illegal in my little region of south Louisiana. Instead, people pull onto the shoulder of the road and walk to the river bank to fish. :v:

e: one cool thing is that all the restaurants along the road have docks across the street so it isn't extremely unusual to see people stop by on their boats during lunch

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pondexter with some optimism for next season:

https://twitter.com/QuincyPondexter/status/720723001277161472

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'll try to have a Pels and pups update when I get home in a few hours.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
At least you are doing neat and worthwhile things with your spare time, Locator!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pels
So, Gentry had his end-of-season talk with the media today. The ESPN writer covering the team (Justin Verrier) is really good and published this write-up: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans...n-in-the-toilet He is also the guy who did that really good medical staff article recently. Some highlights:

quote:

New Orleans finished with the second most games lost to injury and illness (351) in the past decade, according to InStreetClothes.com, and used the third most starting lineups (42) in the past decade.

But he [Gentry] also said that he anticipates every employee -- including the team’s medical staff -- to get a long, hard look this summer, starting with himself.

quote:

“The one thing that I’ve done every year that I’ve been a head coach is that when the season is over, or almost over, I go back and I try to figure out what I could have done better first,” he said. “If I can do anything over again, I would probably be committed to running regardless of what. I think we really never established the pace that we wanted to play with, and that was mainly because of an injury situation [where] there were certain things we have to try to adjust to as coaches.

quote:

The Pelicans finished the season 11th in the league with a 98.9 pace, which is more than a five-possession increase over Monty Williams’ methodical brand of basketball. But the offense, Gentry’s forte, actually got worse, falling from 105.4 points per 100 possessions last season (ninth in the NBA) to 103.2 (16th). And the defense only made a short climb, from 107.3 (28th) to 104.7 (22nd).

quote:

But there are areas, Gentry said, where the team needs an upgrade regardless, starting with a perilously thin wing rotation.

“I think we need that 6-7 athletic guy that can also be somewhat of a facilitator,” he said. “As to names, I have no idea who that is, but I know that he's out there. And so that would be obviously a priority for us.”

quote:

“I think to me the main thing is that you've got to have good basketball players, and if you've got good basketball players in this league, they can be multiple-position players. So I think the days of saying 'He is a point guard' [are over]. Is Steph [Curry] a point guard or does he play off the ball when Shaun Livingston is in the game? If you're a good basketball player, then usually there's a way that you can get incorporated into the offense and be on the defensive end and match up in a certain way.”

quote:

Gentry echoed a lot of what he said in the season’s second half about what he sees for the limitless 23-year-old [Anthony Davis] moving forward: being able to switch to the 5 but mainly playing the 4, building a stronger “base” for post-ups, developing a respectable 3-point shot.

Pups
The dog I posted earlier is my eight year old little boy. He's a 12 lb., blue-skinned Pomeranian named Smokey because the ends of his hairs tail off into a smokey gray color. If I had to make an NBA comparison, I would say he's Nate Robinson. Short in stature, but long limbs and stupidly athletic.

He would literally run circles around his littermates and jump back and forth over them as they were sprinting. He spent more time with the great danes the breeders had than his fellow poms growing up. Also, when he catches something without letting it hit the ground, he does a victory lap around the room. I mentally replace this with the big balls dance. He also climbed/jumped two baby gates as a three month old puppy to get out of the bathroom where I used to keep him when I was at work while he was still being house broken.

Asleep on the couch with his favorite toy

Hitting the (sweet & sour) sauce:

loving loves riding in the car (sadly, lost this one in a flood from hurricane Isaac)

He apparently looks stoned as all hell when he is completely exhausted from playing with some great danes

Funny face while showing off his blue skin that has started to fade to pink as he's gotten older

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Benne posted:

So what exactly led to the Pels getting 5,000 injuries this year? Bad luck, bad medical team or both?

What Lockback said in addition to the players and coaches seemingly working closer with the training staff. The players actually communicated to the trainers and the coaches stayed true to the minutes limits of some players, even after it appeared they were fine (Jrue mainly).

This resulted in a more conservative approach to injury treatment though it was still up to the players whether or not to get surgery. The team hasn't called anyone out for lying, faking, or being soft and seemingly encourages the players to get second opinions. Which is as it should be, imo.

A good portion of what happened this season was probably accumulated damage from earlier in their careers. The majority was still just plain bad luck.

It's still a lot of guess work because until this article, the team held everything regarding injuries tight to their vest.

E: as such, a lot of this post is informed conjecture from me obsessively following the team this and previous seasons

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

I'll look into this when the season starts next year, thanks. I do miss the game, but I'm not paying for cable TV just for basketball, as I have a serious lack of time to watch the games lately. Definitely going to miss watching some of the playoffs, but I'll make do watching the highlights this year.

E: Not sure what to think about Earl Watson being named head coach. Hopefully that works out well.

Your internet subscription may qualify you for WatchESPN and WatchTNT. If so, the only playoff games you will be missing are those exiled to NBATV

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but nope. It specifies that you must use the company as a "TV provider", not internet. I tried it anyway and it gives a 'user unauthorized' error on the player.

Dang. I know my local ISP lets me do that; really sucks that yours doesn't. :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Is your ISP also a company that provides cable? Though even if it is it would be strange that they let you use it to watch online without a cable subscription

Yup. I'm trying to find where they said it, but it was a recent thing they did. They are a local telecom that operates in mostly just one parish/county. They are awesome quality, though. They ran fiber out to my house in the boonies. I could get gigabit internet from them, too, for $120 a month, but I don't use that much internet.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

It would totally be worth it if you wanted it

There is only me in my house and the only time I hit my bandwidth cap is Steam updates. My 50 megabit is good enough for that. If I had a family or something, I would definitely consider getting it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Pels GM, Dell Demps, has not had his season ending press conference, yet. They delayed it a couple times, then scheduled it, then canceled it, and now say there is no definite date. Sources have recently said (within the past week) that he will keep his job, but no one actually knows if Demps is in town or out scouting abroad or something.

Also some rumors about the Pels being Tom Benson's third priority behind the Saints and his race horses. Which kinda makes sense to me because during the original time of purchase, it was being said he was purchasing the NBA team for his current wife.

No actual, factual news since the season ended and Gentry had his last presser.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/BDawsonWrites/status/725340822560866305

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/727529831542456320

:v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/728466344190976000

:v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
First Pelicans news of the off-season:

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/728656620461371392

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I can't bag Atlanta too hard for this because the NBA is the only league they compete with NOLA in and consistently put out a better team.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/729707273480589312

:3:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, that's cool, Benson. I'm totally fine with no solid word on if the guys scouting and picking players in the upcoming draft may not actually already be with the organization in time for the combine.

https://twitter.com/JustinVerrier/status/730057400292626433

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Just strolling along to say all Spurs fans are welcome aboard the thunder wagon. Also kibner are you ready to join the dark side?

The only team I want to lose miserably more than the Thunder are the Mavs, so no. Sorry. I'm with the Raptors all the way now, baby!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Amazing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

At least I'm with friends :unsmith:

I'm shook right now so I'm gonna step away till I feel better. I'm not dead incase anyone asks

That is a positive way to handle the loss. Hope you can feel comfortable enough to post again soon.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Dell Demps approached Danny Ferry with a part-time special advisor role to the Pels and Ferry accepted. Looks like this means ownership is sticking with Demps for at least one more season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I think it was mostly done because Dell was desperate to get some help after his last assistant GM, Tim Connelly, left two seasons ago while Ferry wants to rehab his reputation. Demps and Ferry were apparently "close" and "talked all the time" while Dell was with the Spurs so they were comfortable with each other.

The most important thing about this to me is that it was entirely Demps' idea and decision (i.e. not instigated by ownership) and Ferry reports to him. There is no weird Colangelo setup going on.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

R.D. Mangles posted:

clearly a ploy to help them lure future NBA superstar Tre Demps to New Orleans

Lol

I still remember him getting screentime as a ball boy on the home broadcasts with Gil and... the white dude whose name I can't remember.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I still feel sad for Monty. :(

The first non-player for any sport I have grown this attached to. Not really worthy of a bump, but I was just reminded of it because the Thunder signed Adrian Griffin to their staff to fill the hole Monty left.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Ah drat. Your love for Monty has made me appreciate him as well.

He is one of the extremely few people that comes off as a good human in public appearances and in every recounting of him anywhere. I can't remember a thing anyone has ever complained about in how he treated others.

He's a big inspiration of mine though I'm 100% sure he has major faults I would say are "bad" if I knew about them. But, he is the most compassionate real-life person I "know" and I strive to incorporate that aspect of him more in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

C. Everett Koop posted:

He's the one who helped out the player when his girlfriend committed suicide, right? Because that was some poo poo.

Yes.

This was the speech he gave at his wife's recent funeral.

http://deadspin.com/monty-williams-calls-for-forgiveness-in-powerful-speech-1760037969

She was killed by a driver who crossed onto the other side of the road, doing nearly 50 above the speed limit, while having a dog in her lap and meth in her system.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 9, 2016

• Locked thread