Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijn96k8tQZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

inthesto posted:

Does the default layout still put P under K

I will never get over that poo poo

It makes sense from a button strength/priority perspective.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU-zWdr0h9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXHkcinVt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RYAl4curKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u-ABzTynCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_qbLy32xqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aIuNM4G_lI

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

https://u.pomf.is/toxydt.mp4

"it's a good game??"

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 19, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

Question for someone knowledgeable in sticks: I got the Chun li TE2 and very recently when I downback on the p1 side it occasionally freaks out entering down/downback inputs while I hold downback going by the training mode indicator. There's no dust or hairs or what have you in there and I just don't know what the issue might be.

*edit*

For more context, even the slightest bit of movement while still being in the player one downback "click" of the stick for lack of a better term, will send the inputs crazy constantly going down/downback.

This is a pretty common thing with JLFs. The easiest fix is to just buy a new microswitch assembly and replace it:

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/omron-microswitches/242-sanwa-replacement-tp-ma-pcb-assembly-855742002429.html

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, you can. Just lift the entire joystick out of your TE1, though, it's a lot easier than disassembling it for switches.

Just replacing the switch assembly is much easier. All you have to do is open the case, take off the gate and unplug the cable and it lifts right off.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

that video is such a loving mess holy moly

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

And Capcom approved it.

You said "this is what happens when Capcom has free reign" as if they don't almost always have free reign over what their games look like, didn't make like 20 other absolutely beautiful fighting games, and also used an example of a project Capcom had very little to do with.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

It's commonly said that Ogawa doesn't sandbag, and he's also known for not liking playing on stream. Whether it's nerves or not wanting to be studied I don't know. Basically nobody can say for sure.

Daigo played Guilty Gear back in the day, and before that event got coached by probably the best overall XRD player (Machabo) and trained against really good Zato players (Sako and Cross). He's also playing a character that can kill you in 2-3 hits, has strong mixup, ridiculously strong neutral that converts into big combos into mixups etc. The things he's doing against Zato in neutral and on defense shows a really good fundamental understanding of the game, it's poo poo that good players who have played for a long time don't do.

Also this face says it all:

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 13, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

anime was right posted:

but only because you have a video of one of his zato combos

You have this backwards actually, it was Kuroda who got mad at Ogawa for stealing his combo/playstyle.

It's made even funnier because in the past year or so they've actually done several streams together, and Kuroda willingly showed Ogawa a XRD Zato combo that he came up with, and now everybody uses.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

Guts is absolutely a poo poo system and I think any form of weird abstraction hidden from the player is a loving poison on a game (see also: Hitstun decay).

There's a lot of... things.. with this statement but can you name a fighting game that doesn't have these things, and what qualifies as "hidden" from the player.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Is that all or are you conveniently listing things and adding more qualifiers to limit it to things that aren't in Skullgirls?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Why is guts considered "hidden"? It isn't explicitly mentioned in the tutorial? You can see the effect in training mode. Or is it the values are not clearly defined? Are all of the values for all of the things in Skullgirls defined in game?

Also it not at all unpredictable when you know about it and how it works, but I get the feeling you added that qualifier because Skullgirls has "hidden" things that are predictable, so they're fine?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Dias posted:

Why is guts a good thing

It's not a good thing,
it's not a bad thing.

It's just a thing.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Buhbuhj posted:

What is MIke Z's opinion of guts though.

Broken Loose already posted it.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

IPS is obvious

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

If the STREET FIGHTER FIVE CINEMATIC STORY MODE shows at least half the character the SFxT trailers had, as opposed to whatever the gently caress the current 'story' modes are supposed to be, it could actually do really well.

Also if it was included in the game on release instead of the now inevitable delay into 2017.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Melty combo tutorial:

2AAAAAA 2B 2C 5C jBC jBC airthrow

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

sorry, about your bad game.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

i played melty and picked 2 of the most technical and least-melty characters in the game and learned nothing at all about the system mechanics but i can do 7k damage combos

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

It's important to note that in most fighting games it's impossible to repeat an input two frames in a row. Even double tapping perfectly will inherently have a frame of button release (negative edge) that will only apply to special moves in most games. On top of that, doing perfect double taps is incredibly hard so you might often have more than a 1 frame gap somewhere.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

predictions: april 2017 release date, mkx support will immediately cease save for maybe one or two minor bugfix patches. mortal kombat 11 confirmed for april 2019 get hype.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/buckowens/status/638509434193465344

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

skullgirls is a youth pastor 80s rock cover band

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

a christian band doing clean covers of sublime songs and editing the lyrics to make them about jesus

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Below like 150ms (total) you don't really notice response time, and very quickly adjust to it and it doesn't "feel" like it's delayed. Above that it becomes noticeably distracting. Unless you have something to compare it to directly, you won't really notice it below that.

You should get a monitor with the least amount of lag possible because everything else has input lag you can't control. The easiest (and most of the time, only) places to minimize input lag is your controller and display.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I remember when they banned characters and stages in Marvel to make a good game,

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'll make a 3S parry effortpost if you clarify what you mean by Decision Points because that's the name of Dubyas memoirs and I'm just reading your post in his voice and laughing

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I think "decision points" for parries mostly comes down to players using them in defensive situations. For example jump-in situations in 3S are way different from any other Street Fighter or fighting game. The person on the ground has to decide whether to attempt to anti-air with a move, parry, or block/tech empty jump throw/jump away. The person jumping has to decide the timing of their jumpin, whether to attempt to parry an attempted anti-air, whether to empty jump throw to beat an attempted parry, or empty jump parry into landing into jumping away again because that is something that literally happens in high level 3S. Same thing with meaties, where you can choose to parry high/low to punish meaties and risk eating a throw/super confirm or just downback/throw tech etc.

Parries create a lot of situations that are pure skill checks, like "can I react and parry this move to get a punish" but their mechanics also allow for situations where you are making extremely safe "guesses" with little to no downside. In footsies range vs a Ken I can tap down sometimes. Tapping down widens my hitbox for a few frames, during which I'm also parrying low. At the right range if he presses cr.mk or sweep it will *only* hit me if I'm crouching, thus parrying. Even better, I could be holding back/downback the majority of the time, then tap toward sometimes and go back to back/downback. If he tries to st.rh I will always either block or parry it.

A lot of this stuff leads to very passive and boring play at higher levels, and really silly situations if viewed from the perspective of "having played any other fighting game ever." There's a lot more stuff like option selecting parries behind kara throws to get either a kara throw or a normal depending on if you parried or not. Overall parries have a huge effect on every facet of play in 3S and whether you like it comes down to how much you enjoy the "positives" over the pretty much objectively bad stuff.

Or you can be brian and deny OS parries exist at all.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

That post was not very good and I'm sorry but I'm better at framing things around specifics instead of big general things like that

Endorph posted:

didn't japan soft-ban sagat in st?

"Soft-ban" means absolutely nothing and is a term people made up for "most people still playing ST in Japan don't play O.Sagat because he makes the game really boring in their eyes."

You can play Akuma in Japanese ST tournaments if you want to.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

XRD got less entrants because people are scared of Machaboo, who is going to win without losing a single round to anybody and after grand finals he will float above the arena and absorb everyones souls in order to become the greatest fighting game player who ever lived.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

By standardized CRT he has to mean "has a not poo poo picture" and not "has input lag" but until you find a warehouse full of thousands of identical new old stock CRTs then loving lol at there being a "standard."

If he thinks any CRT has any appreciable amount of input lag over another he's just dumb though.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Brosnan posted:

I feel like even you don't know what you're posting about anymore.

it aod, he never knew

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

FoxStrats posted:

There are a lot of possible explanations for this abomination, but once you remember that this is Nintendo's doing, all of the reasonable and logical reasons fall away like a leper's rotting flesh.

There is Nintend-no good reason

What does it have to do with Nintendo?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I mean it sounds like you have a lot of bitterness and resentment towards Nintendo and it's kind of pathetic but also,

that thing has nothing to do with Nintendo, dude.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Hitbox does what Ninten-don't.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

hadooooken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6RhqoaBis

(my name is ryu)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

To get out of pools in Street Fighter 5 at Evo, I think you had to win something like 15 or 16 2/3 sets in a row. 25% of the people playing didn't win a single set. Fighting games are hard, but they're incredibly rewarding. Keep at it, and you'll reap what you sow.

Actually to get to top 8 it was just winning 10 or 11 (without losing) to be in winners depending on if you got a bye or not.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh god he is the guy with that terrible demo game that everyone griped about at Combo Breaker isn't he.

After the mean goons said his game was bad he went to a tournament and learned everything about fighting games there is to know.

Now he has come to take his revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair when I played your game I certainly felt it was about finding answers to questions. Questions such as: Where is my character? Why do I keep getting lost? What is the point of this game?

Unfortunately I never received any answers. :(

:drat: