Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Problem description: Hi. I recently built a new computer, and I'm downloading some games from Steam that I can run. They are multiple gigabytes large, and they hit my bandwidth hard: it can peak at 2.7MB/s (my internet plan is 15mbps down, which is around 1.9MB/s oddly enough) but usually averages around 1.5MB/s. When downloads like this are happening, it can regularly kill my internet connection for 15-20 seconds. This happens every couple minutes. I monitor the outages with Net Uptime Monitor.

Attempted fixes: I did the usual crap. Power cycle modem, router, connect PC directly to the router, reinstall drivers. I checked if this was happening to only my PC, or to the entire network, and found it affects the entire network - so it can't be a problem with my PC? I checked during the brief period it is down if it affected my network too, but it doesn't. I can access my router's config page during the downtime.

Recent changes: I built an entirely new computer. However, I believe, due to what I said above, that it can't be the case. But anything is possible.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

System specs: The ethernet connection is from my motherboard - an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero. Modem is an Arris TM601A. Router is a Linksys wrtg

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I really got the hunch that this was a problem with my modem. I kept making guesses to what its IP was and finally found it so I could look at the diagnostics. I thought I would post what I think is relevant so hopefully someone can point out the problem.

code:
 RF Parameters
Downstream
 	Freq/Power: 	153.000 MHz 	-3 dBmV 	 
 	Signal to Noise Ratio:  	37 dB 
 	Modulation:	QAM256	 
Upstream
 	Freq/Power:	26.000 MHz 	47 dBmV 	 
  	Channel Type: 	DOCSIS 2.0 (ATDMA)	 
  	Symbol Rate: 	5120 kSym/sec	 
  	Modulation: 	QAM64

---

System Uptime 7h [i](it should be way more than that)[/i]

---

DOCSIS(CM) Events
Date Time 	Event ID 	Event Level 	Description
***** 	20000200 	3 	No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
***** 	20000300 	3 	Ranging Request Retries exhausted
4/15/2016 0:36 	20000200 	3 	No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
4/15/2016 0:36 	8000700 	3 	TFTP failed - OUT OF ORDER packets
Thanks for your help.

Node fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Youur modem signal levels are fine, this is most likely to be an issue with your router. Which model do you have? Do see if you see either box obviously restart (via blinking lights) when this happens.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Neither one does that - when the internet goes down, the network is fine. I can access the router's config page and access other shared drives during this brief period. The router is a Linksys WRT54GL.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That router is positively ancient, I think a new router would be your best choice. If you really want to avoid replacing it try updating the firmware and resetting it back to factory defaults,.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Ok! I didn't really know it mattered. My connection isn't really fast at all, even for that router's age. I think. I'll try updating the firmware I suppose.

What is the standard router of today considered to be? Preferably one that can reserve a network IP to a specific computer.

e: Unfortunately, a firmware upgrade did nothing. Steam was downloading something at 2.5MB/s and my internet died within a couple minutes. Nuts.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 17, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I just tried to access my modem's page during one of the brief downtimes, and it would not respond.

Does that mean it is 100% the modem's problem, or could it still be something on either end of the device?

Node fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 18, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That's consistent with it being a router issue I think, since it's failing to route traffic out the WAN interface (where the modem is). If you don't see the modem reboot with corresponding flashing lights and log entries I don't think it's the modem. More generally connectivity dying under heavy traffic tends to be a router thing. That sometimes happens too if signal levels at the modem are marginal, but yours are not and if that was the issue you would still see the modem reboot via lights and logs.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Node posted:

Does that mean it is 100% the modem's problem, or could it still be something on either end of the device?

If I was in your position and wanted to do more testing before buying a new router I'd connect the computer directly to the modem. If the issue still occurs it's a modem/motherboard NIC/cable/OS issue/. If it doesn't occur then it's a router/network or other computer/device on network issue.

Node posted:

What is the standard router of today considered to be?

Depends on what you need really. If your router is failing there are a lot more to choose from:
http://www.linksys.com/us/c/wireless-routers/

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zogo posted:

If I was in your position and wanted to do more testing before buying a new router I'd connect the computer directly to the modem. If the issue still occurs it's a modem/motherboard NIC/cable/OS issue/. If it doesn't occur then it's a router/network or other computer/device on network issue.

Depends on what you need really. If your router is failing there are a lot more to choose from:
http://www.linksys.com/us/c/wireless-routers/

OK, I just connected my computer directly into the modem, leaving the router out of the picture. It still does it. So like you said, it leaves the modem, NIC, cable, or OS as possible suspects. Since this issue affects all computers in the house when it happens, that leaves just the modem, is that fair to say? Or can an individual NIC somehow crash a modem?

Node fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 20, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Node posted:

OK, I just connected my computer directly into the modem, leaving the router out of the picture. It still does it. So like you said, it leaves the modem, NIC, cable, or OS as possible suspects. Since this issue affects all computers in the house when it happens, that leaves just the modem, is that fair to say?

The modem is the best bet and probably needs to be replaced but we can't say that with 100% certainty.

To be just about 100% sure it was the modem you'd have to connect one of the other computers directly to the modem using another cable and do the large download thing (if possible). If it still fails then it's very likely to be the modem.

Node posted:

Or can an individual NIC somehow crash a modem?

It's possible but rare and usually with a malfunctioning NIC like that it's not going to care about large downloads. It'll be causing issues even with light traffic.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zogo posted:

The modem is the best bet and probably needs to be replaced but we can't say that with 100% certainty.

To be just about 100% sure it was the modem you'd have to connect one of the other computers directly to the modem using another cable and do the large download thing (if possible). If it still fails then it's very likely to be the modem.

I'll probably try that after the Mediacom technician comes tomorrow. I've ruled out so much, it just has to be the modem or something on their side. I'm only on a 15/mbps plan, and their plans go up to ten times that.

Yeah, I was going to try this, it is just going to be a pain in the rear end due to the way the house is wired.

quote:

It's possible but rare and usually with a malfunctioning NIC like that it's not going to care about large downloads. It'll be causing issues even with light traffic.

Thanks, my biggest fear is that it is, somehow, the motherboard, because building this computer was a pain in the rear end and I don't want to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
It was the modem. The technician said it was a really old model they don't use anymore and gave me a brand new one. The internet doesn't crap out every five minutes like it used to.

Thanks everyone for your help!

• Locked thread