Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am going to be posting in this thread so much I hope you are all ready to hear Celvice 10000000000000000 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ZOE fuckin owns. All of it.

One of my favorite things about the entire franchise is its name is never, and I mean NEVER EVER expanded on throughout the entirety of the games, ova or anime besides that one line in ZOE1's intro. The ova/anime does deal a lot with space politics/mars' oppression, etc but the term Ender is never seen again for the next 50 hours it has to the entirety of its content lol

Btw in this poster's 'pinion the name IS ownage and one of the things that made it catch my teenage eye back in the day was how mysterious and cool its name was (no I didn't get it for the mgs2 demo, I was honorable and was one of the 4 people on earth that got it because it looked cool. The used copy I got didn't even have the mgs2 demo in it!).

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 18, 2016

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the world's most wrong opinioned goon, Hunt11 :tipshat:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It owns and I'm excellent at the both. The only bad part of ZOE2 is nothing, gently caress you :hehe:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I could strike you down and own you right now but in the interest of Mars and the fine patrons of this thread I will stay my razor like words until the time is right during the ZOE2 LP.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It's okay, even the silky sexy voiced konami man in all those sick pre release mgsv demo videos called one of the secret items "the hand of jeh HOOTY" (think booty).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

haha, like 8 years ago some people were petitioning fragmaster to change my username to that but I think it was too long at the time

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Droyer posted:

The anime does.

Hey pal are we both thinking about the huge wrench guy?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The anime is really cool and good imo. For starters the main character is a 49 yo/o American space trucker who loves beer and wants to reunite with his adult aged children. Then he gets an orbital frame (who's a little annoying but she grows on you).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The OVA and animes are unexpectedly tear jerkers too :qq:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

That sounds amazing.

I highly recommend them, they're weird and good

Watch the ova first, it's called ZOE Idolo then the anime which is ZOE Dolores,i. The main character of the ova is voiced by Dio.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope some of the bad result stuff for ZOE1 is shown off. Besides the very obvious one there's a really great ADA conversation if you completely gently caress up one of the more location critical SOS missions where she guilts you so hard 14 year old me deleted that save even tho I failed that mission on purpose just to see what happens :negative:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hideo Kojima directed ZOE2.

Edit gently caress me he didn't WTF

???????!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Chyna dies, Prince dies and after 13 years of living a lie I discover that my hero Hideo Kojima did not in fact direct my #1 favorite game of all time, Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner.

Is there anything left on this earth worth believing in.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

That's neat? Are you posting in the wrong place by mistake?

I had a very rough day yesterday...He was being there for me... :unsmith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think Kojima definitely cut the very famous, 11 out of 10 ZOE2 2002 Tokyo Game Show trailer tho. I hope I can give him that. I remember being 16 and watching it like 8 times a day in the weeks before it came out haha

Like, that trailer is so good it's the first thing you see when you start the original game, has that ever even happened before??

We still got ZOE1 to watch so I'll chill out for a bit and really mark out once we hit The 2nd Runner :dance:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ZOE2 is funny w/r/t its voice cast and script because the voice actors themselves are drat fine and they're giving it their all but you can hear the english language buckling under the poo poo script they had to deal with. But one could say that lends to its charm.

You shut up I'm Dingo

You won't decieve me withbeautifulwordslikefreedomandindependence anymore!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Fun fact, it's not a spoiler but it will completely ruin the drama of the next game. Nohman's VA is Mojojojo from PPG and you can really hear it when he's powering up and yelling a lot in the second game, it owns.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

As much poo poo as ZOE1 gets one thing I think it does better than almost any other game is establish its world and tone. They get across right away how hopeless and dire the situation is on Antilia and you can't help but feel it as you fly around and look at the (albeit beautiful) background art. The game's art direction, soundtrack and I think even the voice acting is all top notch. Even after all these years I still found myself getting drawn into that news report about those survivors waiting for the sweet release of death.

That said, Celvice is absolutely the worst, most dull designed thing in any game ever produced by Hideo Kojima.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey folks, SA's resident ZOE expert just got home from the gym and there's some false information getting thrown around the last couple dozen posts so I'm here to straighten up the facts so listen up.

BluePoint was responsible for the MGS HD ports and they are well known for always putting out exceptional poo poo such as the Ico/SOTC collection and more recently the Uncharted Nathan Drake collection. There is a very good in-depth series of videos that showcases just how dedicated BluePoint is to getting every detail just right for their craft located here (U1), here (U2) and here (U3). Even if you're not a fan I would highly suggest checking these out simply to be amazed at how seriously they take these ports. These are professionals.

HighVoltage Software are the jerks that produced the ZOE HD collection for PS3 back in 2012. The ZOE2 port was so exceptionally bad on the PS3, Kojima fired them and hired HexaDrive to clean up the mess (HexaDrive was responsible for the PS3 port of Okami), which was relased about 10 months later. As Mr. Cheezum pointed out, this was only for ZOE2 for the PS3. Xbox 360 owners are SOL (although their vanilla ZOE2 port was better than the vanilla ZOE2 on PS3). I can't remember but I think HexaDrive removed the HighVoltage splash entirely from the patched game haha.

Some things I remember from reading the badly translated patch notes a few years back...the HexaDrive port added something stupid like 64x anti-aliasing up from the zero anti-aliasing HighVoltage was able to add, and the game runs in 1080p instead of 720p. The game is also rock solid 60fps, whereas in the HighVoltage port the final area of the game before you fight the final boss and fight endless enemies is such a god drat mess it's rendering something like 15fps and you're moving at 25% normal speed. I can't tell you how sad I was finishing my #1 favorite video game of all time and thinking "wow I never want to play this bullshit again".

Back to ZOE1, and I'll remove this if Mr. Cheezum intends to show it off later, but that central colony shaft mission, if you miserably fail it, has the best "side mission failed" post-mortem in this poster's opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhPw5JB34BA

tl;dr HighVoltage can suck my motherfucking dick

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I actually feel for Leo in this game. He's just 14-15 y/o boy who's had a lovely, lovely life and damnit, I gotta give him tons of credit for having the balls to disobey orders and consistently stick to his guns about not killing anybody right to Elena's face and all the while gettin sassed by a killer rear end in a top hat AI the whole time. Kid's got an iron will.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Chip Cheezum posted:

The theme kicking in when Leo gets in Jehuty at the end of this episode is really great, too.

YES. I can't wait to post more about this once you get to the ending.

By the way about the bad ending there, one thing I have a very strong memory of was browsing the old Konami boards back when I was like 15 looking at the ZOE1 stuff, there were tons of posts about how to get the bad ending and is there a bad ending, etc. There was some Konami employee (maybe what's known as a community manager now or whatever?) who would reply to everyone and I will NEVER EVER forget their response to inquiries about the bad ending:

"We do not recommend achieving the bad ending for this game. It is extremely unpleasant."

:stonk:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

MGS3 did not have english lip sync either and all of its cutscenes were in-engine, all of ZOE1's are prerendered.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think you should save that tidbit for the ending since that's when we hear the actual song and the sample that is used for what you're talking about.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I like how when you deliver the finishing blow you can see her frame exploding for a handful of frames before the cutscene kicks in. Cool detail, glad he got in close for it do you can really see it.

Question tho, is the bad ending really triggered by ONLY completely failing the SOS missions miserably? I always thought it was from blowing up most of the buildings in every map but I can see where that description could get confused.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

He didn't show it but ADA will, in a sorta Undertale-y way, once the game figures out what you're doing, she'll guilt you during missions with stuff like "Are you enjoying the slaughter?" :stare:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

thetruegentleman posted:

Objectively speaking though, Viola should have killed both Celivice and Thunderheart right there: if the points of all this is that she wants Leo to flip out and kill her, she shouldn't half rear end it.

That's not what she wants. Viola is basically the best shot in the entire galaxy considering her two shots at 100+ yards were in horrible lighting, one with perfect comedic dramatic timing on Celvice and the other disarming a trained soldier man while he was drawing his weapon and she made both shots with one hand. She could have headshot them all like loving Big Boss in Reflex Mode but decided not because that was a much more baller way to inflict as much trauma on Leo as possible. Viola owns.

All of that and the payoff with the main theme kicking in while Leo accepts his destiny and sits in Jehuty with crazy determination in his eyes and voice is just the best. "ADA, it's time to go". I still love this game :allears:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 5, 2016

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Who whines more - Leo or this thread? loving :owned:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

HGH posted:

I'm wondering if the guys will show the intro, because, spoiler filled as it may be, I feel confident saying it's one of the best game intros ever made. I could recite it piece by piece from how many times I watched the whole thing when booting up the game.

You are not alone.

Even tho Z of the E 2 is my #1 favorite game of all time and is categorically better than 1 in every regard (except maybe the lack of a world map, I loved flying around Antilia), I still actually like ZOE1. It's been a real bummer for me seeing it get ripped apart so much here the last few weeks, but I think it still has its charm and the art/music direction is great. Is anyone else out there in my boat? :shobon:

It wasn't shown but here's the intro movie for the game that plays if you leave the title screen idle. The song is weird but I still like it a lot, it's very haunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B19-YKS1Uk0

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lmfao just noticed around the 1:04 mark an explosion happens and the FPS tanks to poo poo and they still included it in the reel. jesus loving christ highvoltage is terrible.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Nohman posted:

That cutscene was just copy and pasted from the PS2 game (so it kind of looks a bit like grainy poo poo in HD.)

For the title reels in both games they recorded new gameplay footage from the HD engine to cut in there and ditched the old footage. I know this because I am a freak who memorized exactly every frame of the gameplay footage back when I was 16 haha. How does it feel to be owned by a ZOE master, Nohman?

For real though I don't like how they re-created each scene cause they did a very poor job of making it look cool. Compare the laser dodge from the 3 Halberd-ing Mummyheads in the HD edition vid I linked above (1:08) with the footage from the PS2 release below (at 1:12). I wish they spent more time trying to recreate these shots cause it doesn't look nearly as cool as the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiafxwNDzX0

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 10, 2016

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Speedball posted:

ZOE2's subweapons were so much better. Even the returning ones got a much-needed boost of functionality.

Everything was useful. I had fun as a teenager just swapping them as much as possible. Almost every single one of them (except I think Comet) is pressure sensitive too.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Droyer posted:

After finally getting around to watching the final video i figured it's time for me to fulfill this promise by talking about the prequel anime. spoilers if you're interested in watching it.

So as Chip said, the first of the 2 animes is a 50-something minutes single episode OVA called Zone of the Enders: 2167 Idolo. As the name implies, it takes place 5 years before the first game (ZoE 1 takes place in 2172) and chronicles the development of the first Orbital Frame, Idolo, which looks like this:

The protagonist is Radium Lavans (in ZoE 1 Viola calls him Radam and the japanese pronounciation in the anime is ra-da-mu) who is a member of the mars branch of the earth federation military. He and his subordinate Viola(!) get transferred to a different base, which is secretly run by the then newly-formed Bahram. There they are constructing the first orbital frame and Radium's fianceé Dolores is one of the scientists working on it. Radium is chosen as the test pilot for it. At first the tests go well, but Radium becomes more and more aggressive and violent the longer he pilots it. Eventually the earth federation forces attack, and one of the scientists is revealed as a spy. In the ongoing battle Dolores gets killed and Radium goes insane, killing every earth federation person he sees while seeing an illusion of Dolores encouraging him. Eventually he flies towards Deimos, and Viola and the rest of Bahram is ordered to shoot him down so the earth federation won't learn about the existance of orbital frames. In the end Viola is standing opposite Radium (in their robots) and pointing her gun at him, but hesitates about pulling the trigger. Radium takes aim at her but is then shot down by all the other soldiers surrounding them, as Viola looks on in horror.

The musical score for his Radium's final attack and his downfall are some of my favorite pieces of music i've heard in a tv show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_znPjprsH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDpGSxsBI3A

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Man, I've got half a mind to watch the entire anime all over again, it's been prob a decade and since then I've gotten the HD versions with a new (possibly better?) translation. Not sure if I can live without "BUFRAM" though. Viola's japanese VA in Idolo fuckin kills it and the ending of IDOLO is pretty gutwrenching, ESPECIALLY if you've played ZOE1 and know her fate.

I think the ZOE anime owns. It's very unconventional, has some really fuckin weird, low-budget animation but the show's got heart. Aside from the titular character being pretty annoying I don't really have anything negative to say about it.

edit:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 13, 2016

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Is the woman in pink Viola?

If so what the hell happened to her?

I can hear some of the motifs from kiss me starlights in here.

Yeah, they had HEART OF AIR help with a few of the tracks - both of the ones I linked in fact. Also, not Viola bc she's compressed ash somewhere in Jupiter's atmosphere

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Kind of gets me paranoid, like is MGS2's translation bad like Zone of the Enders?

Oh just you wait, it's incredible. My favorite thing about it is the English VAs are quite good and giving it their all but you can hear the English language buckling beneath the script. I think it's charming!

What's funny is I recall all of ADA's dialogue being just fine but it's the human characters that speak like aliens. But who knows, maybe slang/dialect on Mars in the year 2174 just evolved that way!

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 13, 2016

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

It took me two playthroughs to figure this out.

Except I thought it was football.

Next two playthroughs I figured out it was baseball though. Which was like, months later because I rented ZOE2 because it was perpetually sold out everywhere.
I always thought it was some made up space ball but I'm not much of a sports guy, I do know I've never in my life heard someone say field-out or trashed-out, but yeah now I can see those being terribly translated baseball terms.

I used to use Henry4G as my wifi name back home...Now it's still a ZOE reference but even more subtle, it's from the anime :haw:

OP, you usually don't show off opening trailers but is it cool to post the 8 minute long ZOE2 trailer? It's the greatest thing ever but could be seen as light spoilers I guess.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Speedball posted:

I'd bet even money that Kojima himself edited the somewhat-spoilery 8-minute long trailer for ZOE2. He has always been good at that.

I agree. My rear end is still chaffed learning that he didn't direct the game...he tweets about, talks about and references ZOE2 so much in his other games that I thought for sure he had the director role for it.

And goddamnit it's 8min trailer is basically the perfect trailer. I was never so excited about a game release in my entire life, I still know it like the back of my hand. MR1422 Dingo Egret, unlocked. 20 to touchdown... I hope Mr. Cheezum offers his blessing to post the original one (in this poster's opinion, the HD version has weaker gameplay clips tbh and includes a major major spoiler that's not present in the original trailer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

HGH posted:

While you can appreciate a good script, a bad script immortalizes a game and is just so much more fun. Tough choice.

To your point I can say that I hear fewer people quote the intros of well written games of say KOTOR, Mass Effect and FNV and hear much, much more of

https://youtu.be/lQ8gRp8whOc

• Locked thread