Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Chip Cheezum posted:

ALSO I think ZOE2 will begin sometime this weekend. I do have some free time at the moment but it's all getting used up by Uncharted 4 and loading up the model viewer to zoom up on Sully's mustache.

Largely unrelated, but: my family got my dad a PS4 for Christmas so he could keep up with Call of Duty, and we got the bundle with the Uncharted collection largely because I knew they were good from your LPs (also a bundle was cheaper than a solo PS4 for some reason).

He wound up playing that a lot more than the Call of Duty game he also got, so for his birthday we got him Uncharted 4. He seems like the type to love the little bonuses like that they put in, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd consider buying Uncharted 4 if they canonise that Sully is a VD Golem.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Everything was useful. I had fun as a teenager just swapping them as much as possible. Almost every single one of them (except I think Comet) is pressure sensitive too.
Wait, really? Aw man. I only realized this for one weapon, and man did it look cool going from a light push to a harder one and see more of it on screen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd consider buying Uncharted 4 if they canonise that Sully is a VD Golem.

I can't confirm this but it does have this poo poo in it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

RareAcumen posted:

Hey Chip, I didn't know you guys were working on Saint's Row V, you even brought back the Nolan North option! :haw:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

RareAcumen posted:

I must have this game.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

I asked in the last thread but never got a clear answer: As someone who has recently gone through everything ZOE, would it be ok for me to post about the sidestory stuff and how it interacts with the main two games when the time comes?

After finally getting around to watching the final video i figured it's time for me to fulfill this promise by talking about the prequel anime. spoilers if you're interested in watching it.

So as Chip said, the first of the 2 animes is a 50-something minutes single episode OVA called Zone of the Enders: 2167 Idolo. As the name implies, it takes place 5 years before the first game (ZoE 1 takes place in 2172) and chronicles the development of the first Orbital Frame, Idolo, which looks like this:

The protagonist is Radium Lavans (in ZoE 1 Viola calls him Radam and the japanese pronounciation in the anime is ra-da-mu) who is a member of the mars branch of the earth federation military. He and his subordinate Viola(!) get transferred to a different base, which is secretly run by the then newly-formed Bahram. There they are constructing the first orbital frame and Radium's fianceé Dolores is one of the scientists working on it. Radium is chosen as the test pilot for it. At first the tests go well, but Radium becomes more and more aggressive and violent the longer he pilots it. Eventually the earth federation forces attack, and one of the scientists is revealed as a spy. In the ongoing battle Dolores gets killed and Radium goes insane, killing every earth federation person he sees while seeing an illusion of Dolores encouraging him. Eventually he flies towards Deimos, and Viola and the rest of Bahram is ordered to shoot him down so the earth federation won't learn about the existance of orbital frames. In the end Viola is standing opposite Radium (in their robots) and pointing her gun at him, but hesitates about pulling the trigger. Radium takes aim at her but is then shot down by all the other soldiers surrounding them, as Viola looks on in horror.

There are a few things interesting about this anime. First is how Bahram is presented: whereas they are clearly the villains in the games, here Bahram is shown to have a legitimate cause and all earth soldiers are shown as brutes and bullies, using their superior physical strength to keep the martians in check. I'll talk more about this when i get to the second anime. Secondly we learn a lot about Viola. What she said to Leo in the second to last video (every time you hesitate in battle, you lose) comes from personal experience, which makes her motivations more clear. We also learn that the reason she doesn't have "the functions of a woman" is because of anti-martian terrorists that destroyed part of the anti-radiation shield of her hometown when she was a child.

Next time i'll talk a bit about the other anime, Dolores, i and the gba game, Fist of Mars.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
that looks like a pokemon

one of the legendary ones

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Droyer posted:

After finally getting around to watching the final video i figured it's time for me to fulfill this promise by talking about the prequel anime. spoilers if you're interested in watching it.

So as Chip said, the first of the 2 animes is a 50-something minutes single episode OVA called Zone of the Enders: 2167 Idolo. As the name implies, it takes place 5 years before the first game (ZoE 1 takes place in 2172) and chronicles the development of the first Orbital Frame, Idolo, which looks like this:

The protagonist is Radium Lavans (in ZoE 1 Viola calls him Radam and the japanese pronounciation in the anime is ra-da-mu) who is a member of the mars branch of the earth federation military. He and his subordinate Viola(!) get transferred to a different base, which is secretly run by the then newly-formed Bahram. There they are constructing the first orbital frame and Radium's fianceé Dolores is one of the scientists working on it. Radium is chosen as the test pilot for it. At first the tests go well, but Radium becomes more and more aggressive and violent the longer he pilots it. Eventually the earth federation forces attack, and one of the scientists is revealed as a spy. In the ongoing battle Dolores gets killed and Radium goes insane, killing every earth federation person he sees while seeing an illusion of Dolores encouraging him. Eventually he flies towards Deimos, and Viola and the rest of Bahram is ordered to shoot him down so the earth federation won't learn about the existance of orbital frames. In the end Viola is standing opposite Radium (in their robots) and pointing her gun at him, but hesitates about pulling the trigger. Radium takes aim at her but is then shot down by all the other soldiers surrounding them, as Viola looks on in horror.

The musical score for his Radium's final attack and his downfall are some of my favorite pieces of music i've heard in a tv show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_znPjprsH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDpGSxsBI3A

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Man, I've got half a mind to watch the entire anime all over again, it's been prob a decade and since then I've gotten the HD versions with a new (possibly better?) translation. Not sure if I can live without "BUFRAM" though. Viola's japanese VA in Idolo fuckin kills it and the ending of IDOLO is pretty gutwrenching, ESPECIALLY if you've played ZOE1 and know her fate.

I think the ZOE anime owns. It's very unconventional, has some really fuckin weird, low-budget animation but the show's got heart. Aside from the titular character being pretty annoying I don't really have anything negative to say about it.

edit:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 13, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Man, I've got half a mind to watch the entire anime all over again, it's been prob a decade and since then I've gotten the HD versions with a new (possibly better?) translation. Not sure if I can live without "BUFRAM" though. Viola's VA in Idolo fuckin kills it and the ending of IDOLO is pretty gutwrenching, ESPECIALLY if you've played ZOE1 and know her fate.

I think the ZOE anime owns. It's very unconventional, has some really fuckin weird, low-budget animation but the show's got heart. Aside from the titular character being pretty annoying I don't really have anything negative to say about it.

edit:

Both of the animes suffer from being made in the early 2000s, when the anime industry as a whole was moving from hand-drawn animation to digipaint. A lot of anime from that time looks noticeably janky because of it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Is the woman in pink Viola?

If so what the hell happened to her?

I can hear some of the motifs from kiss me starlights in here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

There are a few things interesting about this anime. First is how Bahram is presented: whereas they are clearly the villains in the games, here Bahram is shown to have a legitimate cause and all earth soldiers are shown as brutes and bullies, using their superior physical strength to keep the martians in check. I'll talk more about this when i get to the second anime. Secondly we learn a lot about Viola. What she said to Leo in the second to last video (every time you hesitate in battle, you lose) comes from personal experience, which makes her motivations more clear. We also learn that the reason she doesn't have "the functions of a woman" is because of anti-martian terrorists that destroyed part of the anti-radiation shield of her hometown when she was a child.

Next time i'll talk a bit about the other anime, Dolores, i and the gba game, Fist of Mars.

So, is there any part of ZOE that isn't basically just a retread of early UC Gundam themes with sleeker mech designs?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Is the woman in pink Viola?

If so what the hell happened to her?

I can hear some of the motifs from kiss me starlights in here.

Yeah, they had HEART OF AIR help with a few of the tracks - both of the ones I linked in fact. Also, not Viola bc she's compressed ash somewhere in Jupiter's atmosphere

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Show me Sully

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Show me Sully

I hope people have unique dances and that when Sully does that one he hobbles around a bit afterwards.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Play... Sullyeri.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know, people say the dialogue in ZOE is bad, but honestly the stuff in the first game just felt like Gundam dialogue. I feel like the localizers were deliberately trying to ape the feel of Tomino's writing with it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You know, people say the dialogue in ZOE is bad, but honestly the stuff in the first game just felt like Gundam dialogue. I feel like the localizers were deliberately trying to ape the feel of Tomino's writing with it.

Oh yeah, right down to the odd, not-stereotypically-misogynistic-but-still-kinda-weird-and-gross views on women in combat. This wasn't localized nearly as well as your average Gundam series, though. And that's not high praise for Gundam's localization job.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ZOE would be much better if it was localized to be like G Gundam.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Where everyone just punches the poo poo out of each other?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IronSaber posted:

I must have this game.

Uncharted 4 is a masterpiece.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Funky Valentine posted:

"ANSWER ME LEO!"

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MonsieurChoc posted:

"ANSWER ME LEO!"

It is statistically improbable that your hand or any other appendage glows, with or without power.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

It is statistically improbable that your hand or any other appendage glows, with or without power.

There is a 70% chance that these winds are primarily favored by commoners for at least fifteen distinct reasons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Doumon, there is a 115% chance that this man is your brother. He's a ninja, it doesn't matter that he's from Germany. Also he's wearing a mask and his name is Black Brother. And at least one of those words is not that dissimilar from it's English equivalent. Doumon why are you glowing. Please stop glowing."

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The credits said the translation was done by one Scott Dolph, notable for being the guy who got Jeremy Blaustein fired over his work translating MGS1 for "changing Kojima's script" and causing the literal translations of MGS2 and 3 that followed, so I doubt it was intentional.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

TechnoSyndrome posted:

one Scott Dolph, notable for being the guy who got Jeremy Blaustein fired over his work translating MGS1 for "changing Kojima's script" and causing the literal translations of MGS2 and 3 that followed

Oh, Satan! So that's where he ended up!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think you are giving them way too much credit..

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

Where everyone just punches the poo poo out of each other?

that's not what localized means.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Droyer posted:

that's not what localized means.

Unless you're localizing into Troll.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I guess you could "localize" by doing a region-specific remake that changes the plot and characters around a bit to fit (your stereotypes of) local preferences.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ZOE2's is much, much worse.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nanomashoes posted:

ZOE2's is much, much worse.

I can't wait! :allears:

I've already used the "BASIS OF A PROGRAM!?" quote, but there's so many good ones!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think the worst part of ZoE2 is that it took me 10 years to understand that the opening conversation is talking about baseball.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Droyer posted:

Next time i'll talk a bit about the other anime, Dolores,i

Please make sure to have a healthy amount of talk about the best character/voice acting

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HGH posted:

I think the worst part of ZoE2 is that it took me 10 years to understand that the opening conversation is talking about baseball.

Space baseball, or SPACEBALL.

Presumably, I mean.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kurieg posted:

"Doumon, there is a 115% chance that this man is your brother. He's a ninja, it doesn't matter that he's from Germany. Also he's wearing a mask and his name is Black Brother. And at least one of those words is not that dissimilar from it's English equivalent. Doumon why are you glowing. Please stop glowing."

"Domon I detect that excessive vocalization does not affect battle capability."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Space baseball, or SPACEBALL.

Presumably, I mean.

You know, if the gravity is different on every planet they all need to have different sports to accomodate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Speedball posted:

You know, if the gravity is different on every planet they all need to have different sports to accomodate that.

Probably not, since, if they're colonizing other planets, they probably threw in gravity stabilizers as well as oxygen systems.

I don't know anything about Gundam aside from robots and some characters so I may have entirely the wrong idea of what the series is about here.

• Locked thread