Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Apparently the youngest generation today is generation alpha. They're five years old and younger, and will continue to be born for the next decade or so. They grow up using smart phones and tablets as babies.

What do you think they'll be like when they hit their 20's? Will civilization last that long?
Do you know any alphas? Outside of sleeping, eating, crying, and making GBS threads themselves, what are their hobbies and interests?

Alphas these days have millennial parents, so maybe they'll grow up to rebel against everything my generation stands for, which might be a good thing, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

:agreed:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

what happened to the no anime rule

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

shadowvine118 posted:

Will civilization last that long?

only if we're very unfortunate

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I don't know, OP. They seem like they'll grow up to be pretty beta.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

My daughter is an alpha and uses a (not connected) iPhone to play learning games. If we raise them right then there is hope but the world will probably turn to utter poo poo by the time this generation reaches adulthood since we are still "discussing" if global warming is real and basic science is being challenged by religion every day. And history for that matter. Textbooks are referring to slaves as "workers" who came from Africa in textbooks. If the US is any indication the world is hosed.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Doc Friday posted:

I don't know, OP. They seem like they'll grow up to be pretty beta.

The beta generation comes after. They'll be the first generation to grow up as alien sex slaves.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

rio posted:

My daughter is an alpha and uses a (not connected) iPhone to play learning games. If we raise them right then there is hope but the world will probably turn to utter poo poo by the time this generation reaches adulthood since we are still "discussing" if global warming is real and basic science is being challenged by religion every day. And history for that matter. Textbooks are referring to slaves as "workers" who came from Africa in textbooks. If the US is any indication the world is hosed.

I'm still holding out for World War 3.

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Generation retarded bitches

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
this is a generation being raised by the generation which claims twitter can give you PTSD

what do you think is going to happen

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

this is a generation being raised by the generation which claims twitter can give you PTSD

Verily I Shat posted:

Generation retarded bitches

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
No. They are generation participation trophy.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Frankenstyle posted:

No. They are generation participation trophy.

I thought that was the baby boomers.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

No that is millennials

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Generation cocky until the next world war

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
at best they'll be an echo generation X but they'll probably end up trebling their unpleasant aspects more than anything else

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

I have a question. Why the gently caress was the generation before boomers called the greatest generation? Isn't that pretty much setting every subsequent generation up for failure?

gently caress you, greatest generation. We never even had a chance.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

its definitely caused quite a few suicides and murders so PTSD doesn't seem too crazy...

rio
Mar 20, 2008

housefly posted:

I have a question. Why the gently caress was the generation before boomers called the greatest generation? Isn't that pretty much setting every subsequent generation up for failure?

Coming out of the depression into WWII was a character builder that we could never match...because that made everything very simple and the larger issues didn't need to be considered.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

housefly posted:

The generation before boomers is the forgotten generation, named for their participation in the Korean war, and for the fact that nobody seems to remember they exist. The greatest generation is called that for their participation in WWII, apparently. Also, I think they named themselves, so they got to pick something cool, I guess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

shadowvine118 posted:

Apparently the youngest generation today is generation alpha. They're five years old and younger, and will continue to be born for the next decade or so. They grow up using smart phones and tablets as babies.

What do you think they'll be like when they hit their 20's? Will civilization last that long?
Do you know any alphas? Outside of sleeping, eating, crying, and making GBS threads themselves, what are their hobbies and interests?

Alphas these days have millennial parents, so maybe they'll grow up to rebel against everything my generation stands for, which might be a good thing, IMO.

I pity them

rio
Mar 20, 2008

A lot of it has to do with the education system so we have to wait to see if that will remain poo poo or not.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Otisburg posted:

The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.

That whole "written word" thing is ruining them, IMO.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

rio posted:

Good job having a child who will get to enjoy the Resource Wars

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Get your kids into parkour and unarmed combat classes asap

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm glad my generation will be forgotten like the silent generation and gen x

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

symbolic posted:

i'm glad my generation will be forgotten like the silent generation and gen x

millenials will never be forgotten because nobody can get them to shut up

not as part of some stance rooted in freedom of speech, mind, just incessant noise

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

millenials will never be forgotten because nobody can get them to shut up

not as part of some stance rooted in freedom of speech, mind, just incessant noise
actually they don't talk much, they just type a lot

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

shadowvine118 posted:

The generation before boomers is the forgotten generation, named for their participation in the Korean war, and for the fact that nobody seems to remember they exist. The greatest generation is called that for their participation in WWII, apparently. Also, I think they named themselves, so they got to pick something cool, I guess.

The Greatest Generation suffered serious hardships and killed Nazis, they deserve whatever name they want.

I'll never forget the forgotten generation. The portrayal of forgotten generation beatniks in media always seemed so chill compared to the annoying hippie, braindead gen x extreme sports bro and pompous hipster.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Unguided posted:

I'll never forget the forgotten generation. The portrayal of forgotten generation beatniks in media always seemed so chill compared to the annoying hippie, braindead gen x extreme sports bro and pompous hipster.
they also had some kickass literature. "Howl" is still one of my favorite poems ever

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

shadowvine118 posted:

I thought that was the baby boomers.

Millennials got participation trophies for showing up at soccer practice.

Generation Participation Trophy get trophies just for plopping out of moms cooch. It's very "Next Level".

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Unguided posted:

The Greatest Generation suffered serious hardships and killed Nazis, they deserve whatever name they want.

It rankles to hear them call themselves/be called "The Greatest Generation" because a generation represents everybody contemporaneous in civilization, right? So they're all:
"We killed Hitler! :v: "
but then it's sort of like, "Yeah, but you also made Hitler."

Frankenstyle posted:

Millennials got participation trophies for showing up at soccer practice.

Generation Participation Trophy get trophies just for plopping out of moms cooch. It's very "Next Level".

Now they're getting achievements just for finishing campaign mode on easy. Shameful.

Argh
Feb 15, 2005
the next generation

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
If I had a 5 year old I'd just throw that poo poo in the swamp where it belongs.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
"Help us millennials, you're gen-alpha's only hope."

:megadeath:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

phasmid posted:

It rankles to hear them call themselves/be called "The Greatest Generation" because a generation represents everybody contemporaneous in civilization, right? So they're all:
"We killed Hitler! :v: "
but then it's sort of like, "Yeah, but you also made Hitler."

Now they're getting achievements just for finishing campaign mode on easy. Shameful.

Most of the titles to refer to specific generations really only talked about Americans until fairly recently. In the increasingly global society, with more countries becoming emerging economies, it's tarting to apply to more and more of a global phenomenon .

• Locked thread