Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So has anyone else ever had to deal with the weed/tree called Rose of Sharon (or Rose of Althea)?

They are a hoot.

The previous owner of our house had several and let them go to seed all over the property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Lt. Chips posted:

My only regret is that I have but one lawn to mow.
My folks divorced when I was a kid but both decided to be responsible and with joint custody I would split the week between two homes, each with its own front and back lawns. I had to mow four lawns every week each summer of my teenage years and after that I say gently caress lawns forever. Bring in the veg gardens and rock arangements and clover.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Then don't buy a loving McMansion on a 2 acre lot of grass. Get a smaller more manageable yard, trees and have a garden and poo poo. Or, if you hate having sun on your skin, but a townhouse you'd commute to a computer janitor job, and live like those blind cave rats

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
What's with you fuckups who equate lawnmowing with the only quality outside time you can get. You can go for a stroll or jog or grow some vegetables without having to push or ride a contraption in circles on some boring grass like the worlds shittiest parade. Unimaginative motherfuckers in here.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Two words: landscape gravel.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
Lawns are really dumb! Plant some native grasses or plants, or some food-producing plants.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

sudonim posted:

What's with you fuckups who equate lawnmowing with the only quality outside time you can get. You can go for a stroll or jog or grow some vegetables without having to push or ride a contraption in circles on some boring grass like the worlds shittiest parade. Unimaginative motherfuckers in here.

Thank you! There are so many recreational outdoor activities, mowing the lawn should be way down on anybody's list of "fun outdoor things to do."

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Volume posted:

I've been saying this poo poo my entire life. And that's not even getting into the massive waste of fresh water that goes into lawn care nor the chemical run off that poisons the oceans and lakes

Once a couple years ago it hadn't rained in a few weeks and I began to think about the possibility of watering my lawn, but then it rained so I didn't care.

When your new laws about banning lawns because people water them go into affect, will they affect EVERYONE or just the people you personally don't like? If not a blanket ban, will you have a list of people affected? If so, can one donate to your reelection campaign for favorable treatment? That's how things usually work, I just wonder how it will be under your dictatorship.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i live in a cave

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I pay some dude from Honduras $60 a month to come cut and edge my yard. He trims the bushes too.

I am a job creator, I am the 1%

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

dad gay. so what posted:

i live in a cave

got any good paintings in there? im talking cave paintings here.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I pay some dude from Honduras $60 a month to come cut and edge my yard. He trims the bushes too.

I am a job creator, I am the 1%

I never understood this--like, all the people who complain about illegal immigration, do they not understand that people wouldn't come here if there weren't jobs? So shouldn't they be angry and pass laws that make it illegal or at least super punishable to hire illegal immigrants? Instead of building a wall or whatever?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

A Strange Aeon posted:

I never understood this--like, all the people who complain about illegal immigration, do they not understand that people wouldn't come here if there weren't jobs? So shouldn't they be angry and pass laws that make it illegal or at least super punishable to hire illegal immigrants? Instead of building a wall or whatever?

I think the point is that I'm paying this dude basically $12/hr. If there wasn't a flood of unskilled labor (though I pay this guy to do it because I don't care to know how) the price would be higher as some domestic worker would do it.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that adding to the labor pool is bad for wages and unemployment.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I live in an apartment so I don't have a lawn. However, my mother in law asked me to come mow the lawn at her house because my father in law has to go on a business trip and the lawn can't go 2 weeks without mowing I guess? So she owned me pretty hard and now I can spend my Saturday mowing someone else's lawn.
Also typing lawn a lot makes me realize it's a weird word. Lawn lawn lawn.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

beedeebee posted:

I live in an apartment so I don't have a lawn. However, my mother in law asked me to come mow the lawn at her house because my father in law has to go on a business trip and the lawn can't go 2 weeks without mowing I guess? So she owned me pretty hard and now I can spend my Saturday mowing someone else's lawn.
Also typing lawn a lot makes me realize it's a weird word. Lawn lawn lawn.

It's just a nice lazy old celtic word, like flannel, or hooligan, or corgi.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
My lawn is where my meat smoker lives and I just hung nice outdoor lights on the patio so it suits my needs pretty well.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Yodzilla posted:

My lawn is where my meat smoker lives and I just hung nice outdoor lights on the patio so it suits my needs pretty well.

You should let your wife sleep inside the house.

BowreeBookstore
Oct 29, 2015
The only people who appreciate them are tasteless Middle Class. The suburbanites who want to dominate their own little plot of the wild. Their material lives are filled with wall to wall carpet, new cars, synthetic fleece, multi-color plastic childs-brickabrak, cliche art and a kitchen filled with colorful packages of foamed corn. They have TV rooms in their empty homes cluttered with consumer electronics and new furniture. Life is soft, fluffy, buzzing and meaningless. They watch Good Morning America. Wake at home, drive to work, drive to the store, drive back, repeat. The past a sleepwalk of hoops walked though at the proper time.
The lawn is the most avant-garde thing these people will ever engage in. In life styles centered around consumption and collection, building to a nauseating color orgy of various loudly branded goods, only the lawn is both minimalist and the product of individual work. Lawns are indeed prideful flags of conformity and waste, the same as baggy clothing is in times of scarcity. The problem is that there is no scarcity. America is a baren, empty land and reducing it to lawn merely points out how worthless space is in most of the country. The idea that freedom can exist when it takes an hour to drive to the nearest store is laughable. The Russians did not send people to Siberia so they could enjoy the fresh air and lack of inner city ruffians.

So lawns are lame but if you are anywhere with them, its good to know your in a lame place that wont be valuable until there are at least a billion americans to properly take up with wasted hinterlands. You should go away from that place as fast as you can!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Our neighbors get their lawn mowed by this old drunk english dude they are friends with. His wife passed a year or so ago and he likes to keep busy, and day-drink, and ride a mower around shirtless. It's a pretty sweet arrangement and I want to start leaving a bottle of wine out and see if he will do our lawn as well.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I had to mow both my lawn and my parents lawn today (dad-only-has-one-leg, so what?).

I hate lawns and everything to do with them.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Applewhite posted:

Lawns are bullshit

For the record: renting one of those machines that takes up the grass and forcing it across your rock-strewn topsoil for an entire weekend, then covering the entire area with weedproof barriers, then trying to figure out what to do with a half ton of dandelion-filled sod while you're out dropping a grand on groundcover plants and fill gravel is also bullshit.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sudonim posted:

no one's saying that you dumb gently caress

on the contrary, goons are equating mowing the loving lawn to Sisyphus pushing the boulder up the hill for eternity, when it's actually pretty relaxing

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ditch your lawnmower

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

symbolic posted:

no one's saying that you dumb gently caress

on the contrary, goons are equating mowing the loving lawn to Sisyphus pushing the boulder up the hill for eternity, when it's actually pretty relaxing

Yes because toiling in the hot sun is what I do to relax.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Hey symbolic

shut up netface posted:

Or, if you hate having sun on your skin, but a townhouse you'd commute to a computer janitor job, and live like those blind cave rats
This very page you loving fuckstick lawnlover

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
There is freedom in adversity

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I moved into an apartment last year after living in a house for 12 years and let me tell you I don't miss mowing the lawn and shovelling snow one bit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Yes because toiling in the hot sun is what I do to relax.
poor baby

sudonim posted:

Hey symbolic

This very page you loving fuckstick lawnlover
the concept of "humor" was lost on you as you read that post, apparently

show me where someone seriously said "the only outdoor work you need is mowing the lawn", since what you've showed me is someone making a quip about how goons are basement dwellers

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

sudonim posted:

Mowing is one of the many outdoor activities I enjoy. Sorry this upsets you.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

symbolic posted:

and people say millennials are the lazy ones

I am a millennial, although barely. And what part about working enough to pay someone to do those things is lazy?
Real post: I work full time and paying my way through full time semesters at university which doesn't leave me with much time to do much else most days. I don't have a lawn because I rent an apartment right now, but I'll gladly pay someone to do my laundry just to free up time. I'm not lazy I am just otherwise occupied.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Applewhite posted:

You should let your wife sleep inside the house.

Haha sounds like the wife does not work from (within) the OP's home, eh.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I want to replace my front lawn with a bunch of fake rocks and dirt so that I can reenact epeosodes of Disney/Hensons' televison show "Dinosaurs" for thenjoyment of passeers by.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

symbolic posted:

the concept of "humor" was lost on you as you read that post, apparently
Spend less time licking the grass out of your lawnmower and spend more time on your jokes and maybe you'll finally become funny

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

sudonim posted:

Spend less time licking the grass out of your lawnmower and spend more time on your jokes and maybe you'll finally become funny

Don't turn on each other! Don't you see this is just what the lawns want??

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sudonim posted:

i wasn't talking about my post

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

symbolic posted:

i wasn't talking about my post
Good cause humor eludes you like green grass in a California drought

Applewhite posted:

Don't turn on each other! Don't you see this is just what the lawns want??
gently caress! Played like a 2-bit weedwacker

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Didn't read whole thread but :agreed:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
one house we rented had a ridiculous little 5' x 4' lawnlet

and no mower

we* had to cut it with hedge clippers

*i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Clipperton posted:

one house we rented had a ridiculous little 5' x 4' lawnlet

and no mower

we* had to cut it with hedge clippers

*i

lol I would have just paved over an area that small with asphalt.

• Locked thread