Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDeviousOne
Sep 11, 2001
I have a lovely neighbor. He has a lovely Japanese piece of poo poo car that has a stupid big muffler on it that literally shakes my house when he starts the car. He enjoys doing things such as going to work at 6am and waking not just everyone in my house, but all nearby neighbors, as well.

Personally, I have spoken to him numerous times. I have gone so far as offering to pay to have the dealership put the stock exhaust back onto his car. He told me no. As a last resort, my neighbors and I have all started calling the police. Problem is, at 6am, nobody wants to call the police. They want to go back to bed. He has gotten numerous tickets for it and stopped driving the car for several months at a time. However, now that the weather is nice, he's driving it again (even though it's really lovely, he thinks it should only be driven in the summer).

Anyway, calling the police is ineffective and has not stopped him from waking everyone in the vicinity. I am done with it and need to try something else.

My city has a law where no fence can exceed 8 feet 6 inches. However, I can build a fence on my own up to 7 feet with no permit. The extra 18" will require a city inspector and a permit. So, I am to the point where I want to buy a bunch of lumber, and construct a wall at the edge of my property, closest to his driveway. See the picture for layout.

Essentially, the property line extends to less than 10 feet away from his driveway. I want to put a 7 foot tall fence right at the edge of my property (allowable, I checked with the city). I will use as solid of wood as I can find and perhaps plant some tall shrubs on my side of the fence to help create more sound dampening.

My question is: will this be effective at all? Will the sound be appreciably quieter at all?

http://imgur.com/trqttmI

Before anyone asks: there is absolutely no convincing him to not drive the car or to put a reasonable muffler on it. I have spoken with him numerous times and we openly hate each other. I will not vandalize his car, if for no other reason than fear of retribution. I can afford the fence materials and am completely willing to spend however much to help quiet the noise of his car. Calling the police is not at all effective and, frankly, feels wasteful of their resources. There is no "just go back to sleep" when he wakes up my young kids (under 5 years old). Once they're up, they're up. He does this predominantly on weekdays and intermittently on weekends. My city does have noise regulations and he is 100% violating them at the hours he drives to work - enforcing these is incredibly tough as it requires a police officer to be parked near his house at the moment he leaves. He has another vehicle which is normally quiet and does not wake anyone no matter how loud he revs it (it's a Scion with stock exhaust). He makes the decision to drive the lovely Honda because ???

TheDeviousOne fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
I very much doubt the proposed fence will lower the volume appreciably.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

grellgraxer posted:

I very much doubt the proposed fence will lower the volume appreciably.

yeah, I'm not letting some lovely 7 foot fence stop me

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

:lol: username post combo

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

TheDeviousOne posted:

My city does have noise regulations and he is 100% violating them at the hours he drives to work - enforcing these is incredibly tough as it requires a police officer to be parked near his house at the moment he leaves.
This is not true. Cops will lead you to believe it's true, but it's not. The DA (not the cops) needs evidence to prosecute the case. There are lots of ways to get that evidence including video recording, audio meters, and eyewitnesses. There is probably a community liaison officer for your area (your local PD probably calls them something different) who can help you with this. If not, call the DA's office and start asking questions. Call your councilperson's office, this is literally the kind of thing they do everyday. Call the mayor's office.

Look up the law. If the guy isn't violating the law, go back to bed and be annoyed. If he is, be a pain in the rear end until the city gets after him.

A 7' wooden fence will do basically nothing.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
The sound barriers they put beside highways near houses are taller than a 2 storey building and made of solid concrete slabs, that's gotta be your basis for this not a wood fence.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
If you build a miniature Berlin Wall of concrete slabs, go the extra distance and get all 8.5 feet, it may be ugly enough to get him to move.

Otherwise a decibel meter, a camera, and a notebook logging the time and dates of all his violations would be much cheaper I think.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Scudworth posted:

The sound barriers they put beside highways near houses are taller than a 2 storey building and made of solid concrete slabs, that's gotta be your basis for this not a wood fence.
And when you stand on the other side of them, it sounds like you're standing next to a highway.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Got an HOA? Get them involved.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Otherwise a decibel meter, a camera, and a notebook logging the time and dates of all his violations would be much cheaper I think.

This. Cops are lazy as poo poo and they will try to make it sound like it's a big hassle to do things that they are obligated to do. If he's actually breaking the noise laws he has nothing to hide behind. (Every noise restriction I've ever been familiar with would not allow for starting your thundering lovely car every day in the AM.) If he does it with any regularity it'll be easy to catch him. Be a big loving pain in the rear end to all the authorities - definitely bring up that it's loving up your kids' sleep schedules because people in power tend to want to side with angry parents and away from single dudes with ratty cars.

Definitely don't worry about taking away police resources from other things. Who else's job is it to respond to these calls?

edit: And yes, the fence will do nothing. I think vandalizing his car and dealing with whatever bitch-rear end retaliation he has in mind would be less wasteful and have more of an effect. Frankly, at that point, you might as well bust his windows open and make it look like a robbery.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 22, 2016

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cobweb Heart posted:

This. Cops are lazy as poo poo and they will try to make it sound like it's a big hassle to do things that they are obligated to do. If he's actually breaking the noise laws he has nothing to hide behind. (Every noise restriction I've ever been familiar with would not allow for starting your thundering lovely car every day in the AM.) If he does it with any regularity it'll be easy to catch him. Be a big loving pain in the rear end to all the authorities - definitely bring up that it's loving up your kids' sleep schedules because people in power tend to want to side with angry parents and away from single dudes with ratty cars.

Definitely don't worry about taking away police resources from other things. Who else's job is it to respond to these calls?

edit: And yes, the fence will do nothing. I think vandalizing his car and dealing with whatever bitch-rear end retaliation he has in mind would be less wasteful and have more of an effect. Frankly, at that point, you might as well bust his windows open and make it look like a robbery.

Seeding for the legal advice thread.

TheDeviousOne
Sep 11, 2001

Cobweb Heart posted:

Well this thread as convinced me that a fence wouldn't be an effective way to get results.

I am going to stay away from vandalism. I have no idea what this guy would do if someone were to damage his precious car. He'd immediately suspect me, even though 4-5 other neighbors all equally hate him.

Looks like I'm back to calling the police again.

Another option: do tall shrubs block this type of noise? Like a bunch of 10 foot arborvitaes planted as close together as possible? Everything I've ever read about sound says it takes mass to absorb the sound waves. My reasoning with the solid wood fence was that it would a) absorb some of the sound and b) block a lot of the soundwaves that would otherwise be headed directly toward my bedroom.

Again, I will start calling the police and will ask my neighbors to as well. But, if that doesn't pan out, I want to have another option (aside from vandalism).

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
Have you looked at the types of walls/fences they build next to freeways? Some are designed to break up noise like the ones with peaks built on the sides.

Or look at windows that are designed to reduce airplane noise.

Also, a lot of riced out cars are not street legal. Check your local motor laws about his muffler (or lack of). Then report him to the DMV.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

poo poo. Double post.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

TheDeviousOne posted:

Looks like I'm back to calling the police again.
Did you read any of the responses in this thread?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Insulating your house with rockwool and going for triple pane windows might be effective.
Maybe a earthen wall (might take up most of your garden though).

Calling the police and or annoying the gently caress out of him is definitely going to be cheaper.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How old is this guy? I cannot imagine a non mentally handicapped adult acting like this

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

How old is this guy? I cannot imagine a non mentally handicapped adult acting like this

Most like socially and economically handicapped.

Had a neighbor who was section 8 and his family all had the same kind of "gently caress you" attitude to the rest of the neighborhood. Would set pro-sized fireworks off on the street even though there's tons of trees and kindle-like brush around. They used to have a band night that lasted way past the 10:30pm city sound cut-off. They royally butchered "Kashmir" on a regular basis which was kinda like hearing Robert Plant getting raped. Thankfully they moved out (or were kicked out) and we have a super chill single guy living there now. This of course was after half a decade of noise complaints filed by everyone in the neighborhood.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

TheDeviousOne posted:

Another option: do tall shrubs block this type of noise? Like a bunch of 10 foot arborvitaes planted as close together as possible? Everything I've ever read about sound says it takes mass to absorb the sound waves. My reasoning with the solid wood fence was that it would a) absorb some of the sound and b) block a lot of the soundwaves that would otherwise be headed directly toward my bedroom.

No barrier you could reasonably construct will limit the noise sufficiently.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheDeviousOne posted:

I have a lovely neighbor. He has a lovely Japanese piece of poo poo car that has a stupid big muffler on it that literally shakes my house when he starts the car. He enjoys doing things such as going to work at 6am and waking not just everyone in my house, but all nearby neighbors, as well.

Japanese cars - known for being pieces of poo poo.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Put a potato in his Japanese car tailpipe every morning until he gets the message.

Unless you build a ten foot tall concrete wall between his home and yours, you're not really going to cut down on noise.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Use the Tony Soprano method to neighbors

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What race's automobiles do you prefer?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Baronjutter posted:

What race's automobiles do you prefer?

Collectivist militaristic countries make much better cars.

*climbs in vw*

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
LOL I was joking, definitely don't vandalize his car. Don't construct anything. Don't spend any money or change anything. Repeatedly call the police on him and try to get your neighbors to do it too regardless of whether they just want to go back to bed and ignore it and let him do whatever he wants. I think you already get that this is what you have to do. My understanding is that eventually the cops will get so tired of multiple people on a street bugging them about one issue that they'll go and do something to make the calls stop. If they seriously say "gently caress every single one of you, we don't like busting assholes in riced-out cars, we like sitting here taking your calls :smug:" you'll know that you've been sucked into some sort of awful upside-down political cartoon universe and we can no longer help you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I want to know how loud this really is. 6am is not early. It has got to be quieter than a Harley.

Good windows go a long way but that is about all you can do.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
im in a similar situation op my neighbour drives to work everyday on his m198 howitzer and nothing will stop him

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

spwrozek posted:

I want to know how loud this really is. 6am is not early. It has got to be quieter than a Harley.

When do you wake up for 6am to not be early, common city noise laws don't even allow construction before 7-something.
It's too early.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There is a condo backing my bedroom window, my window overlooks their ramp down to the underground parking. Every morning and a few times a day in the afternoon (I think he comes home and then picks up his girlfriend or something every day) he comes and goes. The problem is that he drives a huge raised jeep with an engine that sounds like a semi truck, and the underground parking and ramp focus the sound right onto our window. He also loves to sit and idle in the basement while randomly revving the engine for a good 5-10 min every morning. I don't know if he's just driving a bro'd out American piece of poo poo that needs that long to warm up or what the hell he's doing sitting there revving for so long. Despite all the power it seems to have a hard time making it up the ramp and he has to rev the poo poo out of his stupid jeep just to make it out. Sometimes he doesn't and needs to stop to change gears or give it another go half way up, then he gets mad and just blasts out and down the street.

Also his building is all old fussy retired people because it's a condo so I'm sure they must love him.

Sometimes there's just no way to deal with the loud annoying people in the world. You just hope they move away or something bad happens to them. Although in your case your rear end in a top hat is actually most likely breaking noise bylaws. My guy is just rumbly and annoying.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Why not just vandalise his car at his destination?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Get your neighbours to chip in and buy the cheapest, loudest vehicle you can afford and then set up a roster system so that everyone takes turns at getting up at 5am or whatever time constitutes too-drat-early for the ricer dude and just flog the hell out of that engine for an hour each morning until he gets the message or just moves away.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

spwrozek posted:

NihilismNow posted:

Insulating your house with rockwool and going for triple pane windows might be effective.

Double drywall also helps considerably. If you really want to step things up, go plaster and lath.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Do you own any kind of smart phone? Just take some video of the rear end in a top hat. Three or four days worth of that and go to the PD. If they won't help, go be a pain in the rear end to the city council. Cops really don't like it when the rest of the government comes knocking to tell them to do their loving jobs.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Don't spend money on this guy. Call it in when it happens and leave it at that. Eventually he'll get worn down whether by paying citations or being yelled at by people.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't do anything stupid and petty. The moment you do the authorities won't look at you as victims of a noisy rear end in a top hat, but a bunch of equally stupid neighbours having a dumb squabble they don't want to deal with.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If he's getting numerous tickets, I'd say calling the police is plenty effective. Keep on it, eventually he'll wind up with a cop who's sick enough of his poo poo to hook him for an equipment violation.

Also what baronjutter said, you wanna stay lily-white here.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
So what would actually happen if a brick was thrown through his window and with no one owning up to it, there was no one tied to the lack of evidence?

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Teach the neighborhood kids a new game called:

"Stand outside that guy's house and scream"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Why are you willing to spend enough to build a fence and line it with 7' tall bushes, but not buy an audiometer and just record it with your phone?

I found this on Amazon in like 15 seconds and it looks like it meets your needs.

• Locked thread