Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

As I said in the sandcastle, this reminds me of my own experience with the game and I really dig the idea.

As for why I haven't said so until after the second update, you didn't post here! I almost missed it.

E: You should post the saved drawings in the thread.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ahaha I love the way it has the yellow line disappear gradually as the truth of the matter slowly dawns on you. :allears:

And yes the sound effects for environmental puzzles are satisfying as gently caress.

E: Aww, what? My game crashed to desktop at the end of that fever dream and I thought it was intentional, I was waiting for it to happen to you guys and it didn't. :(

VVV Oooh yeah that makes sense.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 27, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know if you later went back and noticed, but that copy of the Wario Snake serves as a duration bar while the video's playing.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Jesse might revise his statement at the end there to be unironic by the end of this temple. It massively outstays it's gimmick's welcome, I find.

From the unlit shapes on the black pillar, does the game expect you to find other routes around the windmill? :gonk:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wait, Her Story had an ending? :psyduck: I thought it just ended when the player decided they had it all figured out and quit.

As for that drawing, Mother 3 beat you to it. :colbert:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I found the long bridge first because snaking back and forth like that is something I do to the cursor in frustration. :v: Conversely, I never considered making the back one turn horizontally.

E: We did it guys, page 2. Only like 8 updates from 3 recording sessions in. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I made the exact same mistake as Jesse w/r/t learning the wrong lesson from that one puzzle and only now have I realised the source of my confusion. :psyduck:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The new style seems to work about as well, but I'm bad at opinions. You seemed to stumble at points, I'd just say go with whatever you're more comfortable with.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't like how soon the game points you to the village like that. The game naturally leads you to the tutorial area, then the mirror puzzle area, and then the desert and sun temple - where the laser suddenly leads you to a central area with all these confusing new mechanics it's not immediately clear you should leave for later. Or is that meant to be the whole "Metroid with knowledge" thing?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Only just watching Episode 13 (been busy on holiday) but in the interest of making sure you don't have to triple post I'll say now that it's nice to see you seemingly join the others in blindness, not having to sit back and wait. Replies to the rest maybe forthcoming.

E: I got super distracted by the branching paths those tree shadow puzzles open up until I drifted away from playing the game myself, I'm interested to see how they evolve.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 6, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Aw shucks. :3: I just don't like leaving LP updates without any replies from anyone, is all.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeahhh if Katie stops to draw on every statue you see here you're never getting out. :v: Who knows, maybe there's another audio log around to give you the time for it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Holy poo poo you overthought that one puzzle. I think the idea was that you do that, get it into your head that the solution is to just retrace your steps, then turn around and get screwed by the one you solved first and faster. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Her Story and Contradiction? You guys have played all the games I've never seen anyone else discuss. His name was Jenks, by the way.

FFXIII-2 had another game's octopus as a DLC fight, if that counts. :v: FFXII had one too.

Also for actual relevant discussion of The Witness, the game this thread is about, I sincerely hope you guys figure that out really soon into the next video. You were looking right at it, agh!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That last bridge in the Bayou feels backwards, especially since I got stumped on the ones just before the, in Jesse's words, "you get it? You get it?" puzzles that feel like they should have come first to teach you.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There we go, that's what I was referring to - you looked at your feet constantly towards the end of the video I commented on and you didn't see the alternate exits.

I don't mean this next question as a hint or spoiler, I haven't played the whole game myself, but I'll tag it because it probably spoils the solution to a problem you don't see until you solve it. What does that panel that controls the bridge to the castle do if you use the moving walkways to get off that island with the bridge up?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Does the knowledge that you've been beaten to it count as a present? :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I have a headache now. :(

I'm mostly joking but those sounds did really start to grate. And the lack of consideration for deafness is pretty lovely, especially since it doesn't give the impression of being a game that requires sound to be enjoyed.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Let's all play The Witness - Oh, goddrat it

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:rant:

Look at how much earlier you almost had a solution. I'm so mad I downloaded a doodling app just to make this point.

E: Oh the timg box covers the time. That was at 17 minutes.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

poo poo. I could swear I saw some point in the video where that would have worked, but maybe I just missed that while watching it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Audio issues aside, I like that puzzle where you have to apply multiple environmental hints. Now it's time for the mountain. :getin:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ManicVolcanic posted:

Welcome to The End.

So can you skip it by quitting the game and coming back in two weeks? :v:

E: "This looks like it's gonna take some time" is another good end-of-video thread title.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 8, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The concurrent puzzles were a cool idea that felt difficult, but fair.

The simultaneous light bridges were a cool idea executed in absolute tedium.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I guess it's less "bonus challenge area" and more "bonus puzzles-we-made-while-bored area". :v:

Also. The Witness - I don't even like sandwiches :wtf:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 8, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ahahahahahaha I'm so glad I don't have to play through it but as long as that remains the case the Challenge owns. :allears:

E: But seriously, that video was the most entertaining thing I've watched all week.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 16, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tenebrais posted:

Also can I just say, I like the little splash you add for each attempt. It looks nice.

Oh, poo poo, I thought that was the game. Yeah, kudos, Joe!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

homphgomph posted:

F2OGGY (this was very impromptu and not well thought out, so forgive the skype box)

:psyduck: What did I just watch? :pcgaming:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Aaaaa you teasing motherfucker! :argh:

...I think I can forgive you though, on account of that gag.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

homphgomph posted:

If you know the video, you know why I had to cut it right there.

I was not. :magical:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 4, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Now that it won't be a double-post, something I remembered too late to edit in and likely be seen:

"The Shakespeare/Bach/King James of video games will be [with a pause] Something Awe-full." OK Brian.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That was painful to sit through, much more so than the clip that was twice as long with practically no video. I'm not sure why I kept going after the halfway mark, to be honest. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I feel honoured to be thanked in the same slide with the highlight of your finishing the Challenge. :3: Thanks to you three for doing this, it was a hell of a ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't want to double post, but -

You never posted Katie's drawings from Psalm 46 (which is a pity because I was going to crop a Snake Goldblum avatar for someone to take)

Were you going to submit this to the LP archive?

• Locked thread