Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
This is new Gay thread since the last one was no longer relevant. And mostly centered around hating Jivjov. This thread will focus on the entirety of the LGBT community and their rights around the globe. And as far as I can tell not much has changed in the past month anywhere but America, with a slew of new Republican led so-called Bathroom Bills aimed at the Trans community. So I suppose we should start with that.

e: The most recent things would I guess be AFA's Target boycott declaration, and Drumpf's conservative faux pas in saying that people should use whichever toilet they feel comfortable in.
e2: Truth be told things have sort of reached a bit of a plateau regarding global LGBT rights in 2016. Outside of Estonia and a single Mexican state (Jalisca) marriage rights haven't really progressed any farther.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

PT6A posted:

Is there any country where Catholic clergy weren't loving children? It's disturbingly common -- both the raping and the subsequent coverups that always occurred.

It's not just Catholic clergy. Basically any profession where people have access to kids is gonna have pedophiles. Teachers, clergy of all faiths, coaches. Family members. And if they're seen as a community leader people will make excuses for it. The scandal with the Catholic Church was the overarching institutions response to the issue being to hide the perpetrator and then shuffle them off somewhere else to do the same thing.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Not to mention the evidence that they've been doing just that for at least 50 years.

Probably way longer. I can imagine this is just the way they always handled it.

Otteration posted:

Yes, let's ignore the non-marrigable aspect peculiar to Catholic clergy then.

I am. Because it's not terribly relevant. Pedophiles are common (as they are anywhere) among Rabbi's, Imams, and other denominations preachers. There's just no monolithic magisterium to cover it up for them, and shuffle them off to rural Brazil. And given child abuse statistics, the lack of marriage is more likely to be an issue because they don't have any kids of their own, as opposed to just not getting enough adult vag. There are hookers/tinder/bars for that after all.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

This week has been pretty awful for me. I go to school in Orlando, and while I was lucky enough to be in Texas visiting family during the shooting, I still got to wake up to texts from friends telling me my community was being massacred. Discussion about it in the household ended up with a shouting argument between me and pretty much everyone else that ended with me outed and told by my grandfather that people gays and liberals aren't part of the family's values, and if I didn't hold their values I wasn't part of the family. Feels bad man :smith:

Guavanaut posted:

Why did they pick the one animal that this is most well known not to be true for? I've spent relatively little of my life around cattle and I know that freemartins are a thing.

Serious answer? Iran doesn't have that many cows. While I'm sure the numbers have grown since the 18th century, the comparison of local rulers wealth from that era usually listed sheep and goats in the tens, or hundreds of thousands, and I'm not sure I ever saw a rulers cow herd as being listed over a hundred.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 15, 2016

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Back when wikileaks was really news I thought there might be something to the claims that those charges were invented or inflated to silence him, but christ does he make it easy to believe them. If he doesn't see the problem outing thousands of sexual and political minorities in repressive regimes or releasing the credit cards of dnc donors, why shouldn't I believe he's capable of violating someone's autonomy on the individual scale, too?

He more or less admited to what they were charging him for. He just doesn't think it should be illegal.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Hey despite being OP I don't really make any claims to authority in this thread and mostly just lurk it but please get the gently caress out of my thread you damned weirdo. I'd rather it be inactive than be reduced to this.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Welp. Goodbye Obergefell. Goodbye Lawrence. Like I needed a reason to never go back to Texas at this point.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Any justice that strikes obergefell will strike Lawrence. Lazy apathetic liberals threw us to the wolves because they couldn't be bothered to vote for their candidate in the primary and then used that loss as an excuse to continue not voting in the general. But hey at least there's more weed. Toke up brah can't wait for the south park about this its gonna be sooo funny.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

Trump has been the most LGBT positive republican candidate to date. I would understand this panic if Slime Goblin Ted Cruz has been the candidate but I really don't think Trump has any animus towards the LGBT community, and Vice President is the most toothless position in American politics. I have no doubt that Trump doesn't want to be bothered with the every day minutia of governance but I'm thinking he's going to hand that off more to his personal team of goblins headed by probably Steve Bannon, who is also a huge turd, but not an explicitly anti LGBT one. I have no doubt he'll appoint judges bad for LGBT causes but I think that's as far as Trumps anti-LGBT work goes. Don't forget he's also got "gay traitor" Peter Thiel (who actually did a lot for LGBT causes before everyone started shrieking "traitor" in his face) buzzing in his ear and comes from the New York elite which is piled high with homosexuals. Any republican would have been bad, and Trump is a monster, he's just not a particularly anti-LGBT one so the histrionics probably aren't warranted.

There will be a lot of alt right type trolls crowing about how they're all going to send us to the fabulous gas chambers for a few months though.

Reagan had lots of gay friends too. And Trump already released his list of Supreme Court justices, who are all the kind of drooling zealots who would stike down every piece of protection we have in the South. Things will be fine if your a northerner, but us Southern Queers just had the hounds released on us.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act_of_1965

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Currently trying to get the local college republicans to release a "We oppose any rollback of Lawrence" statement. Semi-hopeful from the response so far. Groveling isn't very dignified. But neither is jail.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Quorum posted:

Like literally everything involved in the slow creep towards authoritarianism, it seems obvious to those who are looking for it, yet is innocuous enough to be easily dismissed as coincidence or meaningless by those who value their peace of mind more than justice.

When Romania massacred many of it's Jews in WWII, a prominent Jewish author found out about it from a friend who took part in the massacres, and had come back home on leave. There's pretty much no bottom to that attitude.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 21, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I mean it's nice, but I don't really put much stock into stuff like that making much of a difference. If people "not caring about" or "supporting" gays was in anyway meaningful Lawrence wouldn't have been necessary. The actual numbers that matter are who will be willing to campaign on our behalf, and oppose their representative with a change in vote or supporting a primary challenge. Ultimately people who vote for culture-warrior tea-party republicans without putting in any effort to dissuade them from fighting lgbt progress, or rolling it back, but say that they're "fine" with gays are functionally identical to frothing at the mouth homophobes.

All their hand-wringing does is tell us that they're cowards, which we already knew. People like that have always preferred to use the state for their violence rather than get their own hands bloody.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I don't see the interview. Is it tucked away in one of the other two interviews?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

I half expect we'll find out it was Obama or Biden leaning on State to adopt the policy, cause her actual campaign had a lot of trouble remembering gender identity was even a thing well before the primaries.

Nah. I know the whole "Clintons are Republicans" meme is swallowed hook line and sinker by most of the forum, but they're pretty much the only people outside of the supreme court who have every gotten anything done for the LGBT crowd.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Hey. Hey. This isn't the election thread. I might have started this derail but I can also end it. No more thread for a few hours.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

It's the main lgbt thread in DND :v:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Tias posted:

Can you link me to the other?

It's also the only LGBT thread in DND :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Just gonna get the inevitable out of the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ25-U3jNWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7fgB0m_y2I

• Locked thread