Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dead Snoopy posted:

Benjamin will always be Bucky Haight from Hard Core Logo. :canada:

My man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Tiggum posted:

And what happened to Paul? And Kira's father? Did I just lose track of these people or did the show lose track of them?
Kira's dad was as much of a plot device as the dudes who own this season's comic book store, even though he got to make out with Sarah a bunch.

Also I'm pretty sure Paul is dead?

Cartouche posted:

Quick question. I am considering what show to start after I finish watching The Wire.

Is this a good show?
It's good if you want to see Tatiana Maslany own the poo poo out of a dozen roles at once but holy poo poo don't go into this expecting something on par with The Wire writing-wise.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 17, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Quick question. I am considering what show to start after I finish watching The Wire.

Is this a good show?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cartouche posted:

Is this a good show?

It's a ridiculously uneven show. Some aspects of it have been really good, others have been confusing or outright bad. I feel at least it's very rarely boring.

I didn't like this season as much as season 3 so maybe it's going to go through a thing where odd numbered seasons are good and even ones aren't. :v: Anyway I'm in for one final season to finish it up regardless.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Kira's dad is out trying to win Danaerys' heart in Essos.

Paul died pretty spectacularly in season 3

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Season was meh but Donnie and Alison remain best tv couple of all time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This season finale has been like all the others, ramping up the conspiracy hard the last minute for no good reason. It's getting annoying.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

Kira's dad was as much of a plot device as the dudes who own this season's comic book store, even though he got to make out with Sarah a bunch.

Also I'm pretty sure Paul is dead?

Yeah, Paul got shot by Dr. Coady and blew himself up with a grenade destroying her lab at the desert military camp last season.

I liked that they tried to bring Krystal into Clone Club and she was too vain (and too wrapped up in her own cosmetics-based conspiracy theory) to believe it.

Cartouche posted:

Is this a good show?

It's decent. I think it's worth trying to see if you like it, but if it doesn't grab you right away it probably won't later on.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I think the problem with Orphan Black is more you will love season 1 and then slowly start to wonder what the gently caress happened

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Selachian posted:

I liked that they tried to bring Krystal into Clone Club and she was too vain (and too wrapped up in her own cosmetics-based conspiracy theory) to believe it.

What if it's *not* a conspiracy and Season 5 is finding out that the true enemy is Versacci?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Medullah posted:

What if it's *not* a conspiracy and Season 5 is finding out that the true enemy is Versacci?

*Estee Lauder. Get your conspiracies right!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Sarah is getting ridiculously tiresome. Only Sarah loving Manning would be dumb enough to go to some island in the middle of nowhere all by herself despite knowing it to be enemy territory and having no clue what is even going on. I can understand wanting to protect Siobhan in case things go south and definitely understand not bringing Ari, but Allison and Helena were just chilling in the woods.
She did bring a gun this time though, so she actually did well by her incredibly low standards.
I definitely only watch this show for Allison and Helena.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Cartouche posted:

Is this a good show?

It's good but IMHO the only thing recently that stands up to The Wire is Better Call Saul.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Goofballs posted:

I think the problem with Orphan Black is more you will love season 1 and then slowly start to wonder what the gently caress happened

I agree with this. I find this show is kinda like :lost: in that way. Also in the way that it doesn't like to answer questions, and if it does answer one, it will likely ask three new ones at the same time, which can be annoying and frustrating.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Well luckily for all of us next season is the final one.

And given that I've seen reports that 5 years was always the plan I hope there's some stuff that makes everything make sense when taking the long 5 year view.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

13Pandora13 posted:

It's good but IMHO the only thing recently that stands up to The Wire is Better Call Saul.

Better Call Saul, Fargo, and True Detective (Season 1 only).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This show drops plots way to frequently. What happened to Emk, the girl from the club who knew Beth, her shaggy friend that Sarah was clearly going to hook up with?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shneak posted:

*Estee Lauder. Get your conspiracies right!
Ah, but they're actually a front, a cover for the evil scientists of the Pond's Institute.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Sarah is getting ridiculously tiresome. Only Sarah loving Manning would be dumb enough to go to some island in the middle of nowhere all by herself despite knowing it to be enemy territory and having no clue what is even going on.
That reminds me. How did she get there? I think she took a helicopter, right? But where did she get it and who flew it? Rachael had taken off with Susan's helicopter (and I guess she knows how to fly it?) so whose helicopter did Sarah take? And I'm pretty certain that Sarah does not know how to fly a helicopter.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Tiggum posted:

Ah, but they're actually a front, a cover for the evil scientists of the Pond's Institute.

That reminds me. How did she get there? I think she took a helicopter, right? But where did she get it and who flew it? Rachael had taken off with Susan's helicopter (and I guess she knows how to fly it?) so whose helicopter did Sarah take? And I'm pretty certain that Sarah does not know how to fly a helicopter.

She had Ira make a phone call to arrange it, presumably just hiring another helicopter through the company.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
oh so THIS is the man behind the curtain thanks orphan black

but who's the man in the shadows BEHIND the man behind the curtain

questions on questions on questions

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
God drat this show has gotten stupidly convoluted.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
They really decided to go hard for the xfiles model of "always a bigger conspiracy."

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I thought that Westmoreland was going to be the Messenger guy on the island/in Rachel's psychic eye but no? Honestly at this point I'm expecting a Felix clone.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shneak posted:

I thought that Westmoreland was going to be the Messenger guy on the island/in Rachel's psychic eye but no? Honestly at this point I'm expecting a Felix clone.

I'm pretty sure based on the "We don't throw the babies out with the science" or whatever remark, that the "others" are going to be failed/mutated clones.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Was I the only one that sobbed uncontrollably when Cosima and Delphine reunited and it looked like Cosima would actually die?
I can't be the only one, right? :ohdear:

ETA: I think the reason none of the plot failures really bothered me was because all of the emotional payoff. Rachel vs. Susan, Sarah vs. Rachel, etc.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 19, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maera Sior posted:

Was I the only one that sobbed uncontrollably when Cosima and Delphine reunited and it looked like Cosima would actually die?
I can't be the only one, right? :ohdear:

I haven't given a poo poo about Cosima in a long time. At first it seemed like there was some urgency and she might actually die if they didn't find a cure soon, but it's just dragged on so long that it's become really clear that she's in no danger at all. And on top of that, she hasn't really had anything to do to further the plot or character interactions in a long time either. She's just there in the background, sciencing to no effect.

And I don't care about Delphine being alive/back either, because by the time she supposedly died she'd already had her role diminished so much that writing her out entirely wasn't much of a change.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think this show lost me when the main characters stopped feeling like real people, like season 1 we had Sarah being Beth just to score some money, S was just a worried mother, Feelix actually was doing things beyond being a sidekick, now everyone is taking down super large scale corporations, setting up dozens of safehouses, S somehow has like troops she can call on, Cosima has been on her death bed for years despite them finding the cure like a dozen times, even Allison is all over the place.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

Was I the only one that sobbed uncontrollably when it looked like Cosima would actually die?
When was that?

Can't have a final season without Cosima and Dr. Girlfriend mooning at eachother some more.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Finally caught up with the season.

The show juggling all its characters and plots by just shelving some of them entirely for whole episodes/seasons is both a blessing and a curse. Hard to decide which, since it's so clearly just sci-fi pulp with a really awesome actress + make-up/costume department + CGI group, but the same was true for X-Files in its day so :shrug:

Either way I'm on board but at this point at least half my entertainment is coming from imagining all the absurdity that's playing out in the background, like Cal and Tony just chilling somewhere together playing pool with Helena's BF, or Cosima occasionally Skyping her thesis advisor from the Island of Dr. Moreau because she's still a freakin' PhD student like "hey Professor so what did you think of my latest chapter finally figured out this human cloning stuff" coughs up blood :eng101: "I don't know Cosima these lit reviews just aren't up to snuff, not sure you'll be able to get it in to one of the top-tier journals, let me know when you're back in town so we can set you up for some more time doing my experiments in the lab and I'll give you fourth author if you're lucky". "Awwww" :smith: etc. etc.

EDIT: ...it also amuses me that the writers obviously can only have Cosima either A) doing Science to things or B) trying to work out her love life. They alllllllmost made her plot interesting by having her repeatedly confront Susan about how hosed up her idea of science is, but those socratic dialogues never got too far beyond "What you're doing is hosed UP man this isn't science" and Susan being like "ends justify the means" :smuggo: sooooooo :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 20, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Do we even know what Cosima is actually supposed to be researching? Or did she just bullshit the committee into approving something that would give her lab access?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So I'm going to jump in and say that I still thoroughly love this show. Yes the plots are insane and stupid, but it reminds me a lot of old X-men comics. The heart of the show is not about the conspiracies, but about a non-traditional family. The conspiracies are just catalysts for the strength of the family to be tested only to endure.

I realized this season that they're not really against the science they're discussing, but more the way the science is carried out. It's about a non-traditional family of weirdos and outcasts constantly undermining people looking to ultimately define normal and progress.

The fact that the big bad for the final season is literally a Victorian eugenicist straight up shoots the moon from loving stupid to delightful literalism.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
It's been worth it to get Gary Numan Felix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Some new season casting news:

Joining the cast this season is Elyse Levesque as Detective Engers, a dirty Neolution cop who is a true believer; Andrew Moodie as Mr. Frontenac, Rachel’s new mysterious consultant; Simu Liu as Mr. Mitchell, Kira’s new homeroom teacher; Jenessa Grant as Mud, an eclectic young islander; and Stephen McHattie as P.T. Westmoreland, the mythical 170-year-old founder of Neolution.

That last bit is :perfect:

• Locked thread