Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Maldoror posted:

What kind of chickens do people raise to eat.

Like the mass produced KFC and the like chickens are "cornish x" or "broiler" chickens that grow so fast they can't stand because their muscles grow faster than their skeletons, and by the time they're butchered they are just sitting and not moving like a super obese fat person.

I know they're all kinds of "ornamental" breeds that have pretty feathers and colors and you don't really want to kill and eat those, right?

So what kind do you raise for killing and eating?

cornish cross sometimes, I also have other roosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Revenants Return posted:

why dontthey let the chicks grow bigger before killing them for food

Because this:

The one on the left is a cornish cross hen (they're almost always what you buy in grocery stores). The one on the right is an egg production bird. A rhode island red hen. They're both of similar age.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

chickens can be very friendly and personable, especially the ones that wind up as outcasts from the flock

the problem with keeping them as pets is that a) they poo poo everywhere b) seriously, absolutely everywhere c) i mean goddamnit it's loving awful and d) they have naturally short lifespans even before you take into account that pretty much every animal on earth knows how to kill them

So do dogs. I don't keep chickens as pets. They're all food eventually- or they make little foods, whatever. Some might get names, but I only get pissed off if one dies if A) it cost a lot because it was a certain species and I'm real carehard stupid about species of poultry in general or B) it was a cool color or had a cool personality. But seriously I've walked out to racoon-a-palooza and was just pissed that I couldn't harvest the headless corpses because they'd been there too long. I don't really care if people have them as pets, but if you go "oh NO I couldn't POSSIBLY butcher this 9 year old rooster and now he's become a problem! To craigslist he goes! lol!" it seems pretty stupid to me. Or you know, you endlessly crank out roosters and refuse to butcher any. A lot of people are doing that with the whole ~homesteading~ thing getting popular on lots as small as 1/8 of an acre keeping chickens and rabbits and it's going to be a literal overpopulation issue with humane societies and poo poo in some areas. And that's loving stupid. If you bring a livestock life into this world, I honestly feel like you're responsible for taking it out in a place it knows and loves, healthy and happy, if you can't or don't want to get rid of it. That isn't saying don't sell your birds. Whatever, sell a bird if you want. But don't puss out on having to butcher a few roos because your hen hatched nothing but roos and noone wants them. Don't take them to the loving pound, what the gently caress.

Blue Train posted:

every live chicken I've ever seen has had its back half covered in its own poo poo and that's all I can think of when people post pictures of the "pretty" ones, especially like that one with the long tail feathers

This is because they're kept in poo poo conditions in factory farming set ups. I could go grab any one of my birds right now and they're clean and tidy. Except for the duck with the hole in it's side, but hey. It has a hole in it's side. Allowances can be made.

Ddraig posted:

Anime lovers will be forever alone so never get to subject anyone but the internet and themselves to their failure of a life. PI presumably have animals that depend on them, even ones that aren't delicious.

PI is the worst

Some of PI is garbage. Some of PI is pretty okay. We have nowhere near the amount of freedom that the rest of the subforums do to tell someone they're an idiot and most well-read PI members have left because of that, or just poo poo post and make fun of the retards in the puppy thread privately. Or whoever the gently caress it was that couldn't spell shepherd. We're passionate because our hobby is animals and knowing about animal stuff. We're as spergy as any other subforum, but we're pretty polite if someone actively wants to learn or if someone's got an emergency.

Robo Reagan posted:

really the only good forum is TCC and that's because they keep dying in hilarious waysw

I literally only read TCC to see who's died in what ridiculous way next and to toss in bets as to who's going to die next.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SurfaceDetail posted:

One of your mods farted so much around her parrot it only made farting noises and eventually she hotboxed it to death.

So sorry your forum is hilarious crazy forever.

Actually she quit modding and then people ran her out of the off-site.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That was a different goon than the parrot farter

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I butchered 6 chickens and 36 quail in six and a half hours on a table top with a knife and a pair of scissors. That was loving exhausting.

• Locked thread