Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scapulor
Nov 21, 2005

The man with the magic scapulae
Pillbug
een.

Prologue: I bought a Surface Book back in November, and have had some slight problems with it since then, but have stuck it out in the hopes that they'll be solved by software/firmware updates. Plus, I absolutely love it otherwise. However, I'm aware there are definite hardware issues out there that can't be solved without just doing a warranty exchange. I'm mostly just interested to know if anyone else can repeat this, so I can have some idea whether to expect that any replacement I get will have the same problem.

Problem description: When the Surface Book is closed and in Hibernate, I open the lid and, without turning on the device, attempt to detach the tablet with the keyboard key. It detaches successfully, and I carefully remove the tablet from the keyboard. I then turn the tablet on with the power button. The "Surface" BIOS/splash screen displays for a second like normal, including the spinning balls thing. Then, instead of a blue screen of death, I get a bright PEACH-colored screen with an "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR" message. It "collects some information" then restarts, and I'm able to use the thing normally. I can reliably repeat this process.

Notably, this only seems to happen when the Surface Book has hibernated due to closing the lid (either configured to hibernate as soon as closing the lid, or configured to sleep when closing the lid and then to hibernate after X minutes). When I tell the laptop to hibernate via the Start->Power menu, then detach and turn on, the tablet starts up normally, though it doesn't register the keyboard/trackpad when I plug it back into the base unless I restart (a restart which takes an inordinately long time).

Also, I get the so-called "sleep of death" where the detached tablet will go to sleep and I'll be sometimes unable to wake it back up, but I think that's a separate issue, and a relatively common one.

Attempted fixes: Mainly installing all updates and testing again whenever there's a new update. I did take it to a Microsoft store this weekend to see if someone there had an idea (or to do a warranty exchange), but the guy was not helpful. He uninstalled/reinstalled a battery controller thing from the Device Manager without actually asking me about the specific repro steps. When he eventually found out that it was related to hibernate, he looked at me like I was crazy for expecting standby or hibernate to work in the first place. He suggested, basically, not to do that anymore, which I'm already doing, but I would really like this thing to work the way I want it to, and the way (I think) it's supposed to. He couldn't do a warranty exchange for me in the store and told me not to expect that a replacement would behave any differently. He seemed to think that this was more a design defect (or, again, that I'm just using it wrong) than any kind of isolated hardware issue.

Recent changes: This has been an issue since I got the thing in November 2015. I've just gotten better at figuring out what exactly I'm doing that causes it.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)
System specs: This is the Surface Book SKU with 8GB ram, the i7 processor, 256GB hard drive, and the Nvidia GPU.
I have Googled and read the FAQ: Googled, god yes. Where's the FAQ?

e: oops, forgot to select a thread tag. Please don't probate!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scapulor fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapulor
Nov 21, 2005

Pillbug
I should also note that I've not yet done a Windows 10 reset/reinstall, I wanted to do some backup stuff first.

As mentioned above, I'm more interested in finding out if anyone (everyone?) else with a Surface Book can reproduce this issue. If not, I'll take that to mean it's a hardware issue specific to my device, and there's a chance a warranty exchange will be worth it. Otherwise, I'll assume it's a design issue and I'll have to live with it forever, or until another firmware update comes out to fix it (whichever comes first, of course).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
AFAIK you've never been able to undock a machine while Hibernated or in Standby without a BSOD on resume*, unless something changed in Windows 10 or specific to the Surface Book. It sounds like the Microsoft guy is right, the system needs to either be powered off or running when you undock.

*Docking stations that are actually just replicators for hot-swappable ports might be excluded

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 26, 2016

Scapulor
Nov 21, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks. I guess I'm prepared to accept that. If that's the case, though, I would have hoped that Microsoft wouldn't have enabled the button to allow you to remove the tablet if there's a 100% chance of a psod.

Suppose it wouldn't be the first time Microsoft released something that wasn't quite ready for prime time.

• Locked thread