Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/04/22/the-great-ethnic-food-lie/

You heard it here first folks, apparently North America's lust for cheap Chinese and Indian cuisines is actually another form of institutionalized racism. I guess economic forces are racist too.

Bonus points for the extra-large brush strokes regarding how people view ethnic food and how much they are willing to pay for said food.

poo poo like this is the reason people think PC culture has run amok. Eagerly awaiting an article describing in detail why using the Kama Sutra is cultural appropriation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ethnic food did nothing wrong

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The writer sounds like a real "Jessica Dupre" OP.
And by that I mean they've gone searching for something to get offended about and zeroed in on something innocuous because all the good outrages were taken.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I went to Mexico once (the REAL Mexico, not some tourist trap city) for 3 days and I ate REAL Mexican food. The stuff people here in "The States" try to pass off as Mexican food is a joke and I laugh whenever someone says they 'love Mexican food'. Seriously, lol, you haven't even tried real Mexican food.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

I went to Mexico once (the REAL Mexico, not some tourist trap city) for 3 days and I ate REAL Mexican food. The stuff people here in "The States" try to pass off as Mexican food is a joke and I laugh whenever someone says they 'love Mexican food'. Seriously, lol, you haven't even tried real Mexican food.

ya totally. gently caress those idiots!!!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
today i had an italian pizz-a pie-o mama mia!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
sometimes I eat a lot of ethiopian food because I need an ethnic cleansing

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

Most people don't want to risk decapitation just to try your snobby authentic chalupa, sorry.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i had a lebanese gyro sandwich and a "schwarma" the other day mama mia!

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i like white people mexican food with the yellow cheese

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
technically a hamburger is german food sweet sassy molassy!!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
what am allowed to eat OP?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Last time I had fuh I paid $9 for what was a bowl of broth with a few strips of meat and not enough veggies to fill a table salad. Soup, if you will. I don't know how the restaurant owners get by on such slim margins.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Pawn 17 posted:

As true as this is, that isn't what the article is complaining about.

The most frustrating argument it makes is that part of the racism comes from the fact that because much ethnic food is cheap in the States, that must mean that people see it as inferior. So apparently authenticity=high priced cuisine.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

i had a lebanese gyro sandwich and a "schwarma" the other day mama mia!

At's-a spicy meat-a ball-a!

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

dad gay. so what posted:

what am allowed to eat OP?

amityville anus posted:

sometimes I eat a lot of ethiopian food because I need an ethnic cleansing

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I want to eat the washington post.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
the OP wrote this article to trigger me

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
so tell me mr. ivory tower dyed in the wool libtard OP, what exactly am i allowed to eat :smug:

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Trump 2016 ??

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dad gay. so what posted:

today i had an italian pizz-a pie-o mama mia!

woah

how was it

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

dad gay. so what posted:

so tell me mr. ivory tower dyed in the wool libtard OP, what exactly am i allowed to eat :smug:

Authentic aryan food only. Any non-aryan food is racism.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

Go to yelp and just control+F "authentic"

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

dad gay. so what posted:

you can eat whatever you want so long as it doesn't upset the delicate sensibilities of the liberal media. I think five guys should be ok, but you might end up pissing off the vegan/gluten free set.

Really you can't win and should just stuff whatever garbage into your maw what fits there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Someone send this guy my posts about Italian being the most overrated/overpriced bullshit non-cuisine available so he can feel better about me sniggering when an Indian restaurant wants 13 bucks for a dinner sized serving of spiced beans.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
sounds like a dismissal of the thread premise by the libtard OP. mods please close thread

hoisted by your own petard

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

serving fried rice in the university cafeteria is cultural appropriation

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
what if youre just a white dude but you have no nationality like im just canadian am i stuck to poutine and maple syrup? maybe some cold fx every now and then

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
With every bite of Dim sum, I taste the terror of yet another celestial princess being jammed into a shipping container.

Foreverially.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenstyle posted:

With every bite of Dim sum, I taste the terror of yet another celestial princess being jammed in a shipping container.

Foreverially.

they prefer the term "oriental"

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
my food is more authentic then yours bitch

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
dehumanize yourself and face to curry

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Do it ironically posted:

what if youre just a white dude but you have no nationality like im just canadian am i stuck to poutine and maple syrup? maybe some cold fx every now and then

Back bacon, race traitor.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Do it ironically posted:

Poutine is almost french for whore, which makes it a sexist food. Best just to stick to the maple syrup.

Frankenstyle posted:

Back bacon, race traitor.

Wait til the vegan community hears about this

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
Foreverial fried up rice

Hoisin doused permanently and loving it

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

RobattoJesus posted:

Wait til the vegan community hears about this

That's livestock appropriation.

And that's terrible.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Pawn 17 posted:

you sure as hell better be a real mexican you racist

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Civilisations appropriate other cultures' food all the time. Without pasty white Limeys going to Yankeeland we would never have popularised tomatoes, and the greasy Italians couldn't have brought pizza over to the United States of Assholes. So nothing racist about it whatsoever imo

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

dad gay. so what posted:

they prefer the term "oriental"

That's just a myth. Sometimes they get lost too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ethnic food is cheap and therefore low class *eats a hamburger, worlds most expensive food*

• Locked thread