Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
I recently purchased a CPO 2014 Subaru WRX premium hatch, very clean with only 8k miles on it. The car is originally from Florida, so it never saw salt/snow, but I live in NYC so at some point in the future obviously it will. Coming from a 95 240sx where I was always fighting rust I was looking into rust proofing the underside of the car.

People keep telling me that newer cars have a thin zinc coating on the metal that makes up the body, that prevents rust buildup pretty well, so it's not worth it to POR a newer car. Having never owned a car that wasn't made in the 80s or 90s how well does this layer of zinc anti rust coating work? I feel like I might as well invest a little time this summer to keep myself from having headaches down the road. The only concern I have is the POR not playing to well with the zinc coating, but google searches haven't revealed any results that would have me believe that to be the case. What is the general opinion here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
POR is kind of for repair or restoration applications and not something I would do to a newer car. I've always went with an annual rust prevention (Corrosion Free, Krown, Rustcheck, etc) and had good results. I have a 2008 car that has no significant rust underneath. There is an often-quoted report by the Canadian Forces on comparison of various methods for fighting rust in vehicles:

http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Isn't the point of POR that it changes the rust into some other thing that's less likely to spread, in addition to sealing it? Also it looks like it's a pain in the rear end to apply, especially on an assembled car (but anything would be, wouldn't it?).

Galvanizing is pretty good, afaik -- I've seen galvanized metal that's been in dairy coolers for years and the only effect is it's not as shiny. To be fair, not as likely to have the zinc scraped off as a car's belly, but it's about the most conducive environment you can get for rust, constantly moist and lots of airflow -- my shelf-stretching hammer gets entirely coated in a thin film of rust if I leave it in the cooler for an hour.

On a new car, if you're that paranoid, I'd think some sort of epoxy sealant (like the stuff you finish concrete with) might be a better choice.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 29, 2016

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
IF you're going to keep the car for more than, say, 5 years, I'd definitely ask around for a professional rustproofing. At least here, Subarus factory rustproofing is quite bad. Galvanizing won't do poo poo in the long run if they salt your roads. As soon as you start getting chips in it from normal usage, it's gonna start rusting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What you want is a dedicated anti-rust cavity wax, which will seep into all the seams and pockets. Properly applied, it's very effective.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

InitialDave posted:

What you want is a dedicated anti-rust cavity wax, which will seep into all the seams and pockets. Properly applied, it's very effective.

Yes this. There are various brand names around, Tuff-Kote Dinol, Tectyl, Dinitrol. I have no idea if they still exists or are still relevant, but something like that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Waxoyl is definitely a thing that I bought recently.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Here is a thing I saw on the internet a while ago and believe to be relevant now http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/how-to-undercoat-your-car/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Here is a thing I saw on the internet a while ago and believe to be relevant now http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/how-to-undercoat-your-car/

I really want that machine. Looks like massive fun.

Another thing to do is to more strategic rust protection. Read up on where the weaknesses lie and protect them, either by anti-rust products or by mudflaps / clearbra (or similar). Mudguards seem to be underrated, especially on vehicles where there is a lot of spray up the sides of the car.
But that's just from my internet research / what I've seen done on other cars, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, AMMO NYC is a pretty amazing youtube channel. Learned tons (but got OCD from watching it).

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Obligatory TruCoat hard sell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2LLB9CGfLs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

Waxoyl is definitely a thing that I bought recently.
Yep. It works.

I have a 25-year-old Fiat that was Waxoyled, and the only rust is in parts not treated.

• Locked thread